ImageImageImage

The Celtics Can Have Their Cake And Eat It Too

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: The Celtics Can Have Their Cake And Eat It Too 

Post#21 » by captain green » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am

grindtime22 wrote:
captain green wrote:To me that deal is to much when we hold the leverage. Make it a 2 year deal Ala Jabari parker but for 24 mil. Still under the cap and we can sign bird or other player and still not make the repeater tax. I don't want to get stuck with smart the more money he makes will not translate to a improved smart. He is what he is and if does improve then we can talk about bigger money.
But with kyrie, rozier, smart and wanna maker and now lemon and hayward back. If we lost one of rozier or smart we can replace in draft.
To me though we will be eating cake either way. We're in good shape. Even if kyrie jets to Knicks his money comes off the books and we are still deep and lots of assets still. Nom nom nom cake is good.

We would have to maneuver some other way to avoid the tax clock if he signed 2/24

Yr 1 - 11,538,462
Yr 2 - 12,461,538

He structured the contract in the original post at the maximum amount to stay under without Jabari Bird (starting at 9,893,000).

If you sign Bird starting at $1,349,383 it goes down even further to 8,543,617

So ok what about 8 mil first year 9 mil second year 10 year third year player option. under the tax, sign bird if anything goes wrong waive nader to avoid tax not sure what the money is with him I'm not entirely in favor of waiving but bird or nader bird wins? Is this possible I'd think that beats the QO of 6 mill and also close to the original deal. ???
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#22 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:07 pm

see the OP. The Cs can have Smart and Morris and stay out of the luxury tax is Marcus accepts a 4 year $44.5 million deal that starts at $9.9 million
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#23 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:I would prefer to keep Rozier over Smart. Have Smart sign QO, avoid lux tax and then extend Rozier next offseason. It looks like either Rozier or Smart will walk for nothing. Keep the better player.

Can't Rozier be extended now, as a commitment, with the new salary not kicking in until next year?

I'll confess to not having carefully tracked rookie-related parts of the CBA.

Yes, though I wonder if paying moderately big money to Smart long-term would cut into what they are willing to pay TRo this fall, when they are apparently still hopeful of paying monster-big money to keep Kyrie here longer-term still.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#24 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:I would prefer to keep Rozier over Smart. Have Smart sign QO, avoid lux tax and then extend Rozier next offseason. It looks like either Rozier or Smart will walk for nothing. Keep the better player.

Can't Rozier be extended now, as a commitment, with the new salary not kicking in until next year?

Yes, though I wonder if paying moderately big money to Smart long-term would cut into what they are willing to pay TRo this fall, when they are apparently still hopeful of paying monster-big money to keep Kyrie here longer-term still.

A long-term Smart deal may also influence Rozier's interest in staying. That said, many guys have a minimum level of lifetime earnings they'd like to lock up before worrying too hard about other considerations, and it's tough to guess from the outside what any particular guy's number might be. In Rozier's case, his sister (disabled) and father (long-time convict) face severe challenges getting decent jobs, and at least in the past that was true of his mother as well (drugs). So he surely wants what he regards as enough money to take care of all of them.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#25 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 am

cloverleaf wrote:

A long-term Smart deal may also influence Rozier's interest in staying. That said, many guys have a minimum level of lifetime earnings they'd like to lock up before worrying too hard about other considerations, and it's tough to guess from the outside what any particular guy's number might be. In Rozier's case, his sister (disabled) and father (long-time convict) face severe challenges getting decent jobs, and at least in the past that was true of his mother as well (drugs). So he surely wants what he regards as enough money to take care of all of them.

Right. Also, with his lower draft position, TRo has made quite a bit less than what Smart has made on their first contracts. Terry seems to get the big things right in his life and obviously has a good relationship from Danny on down in the organization. With Kyrie, Terry and Smart all on the team this year, assuming the signing and barring any trades before the start of the season, it will be interesting to see how the minutes and roles go.

Oh, and IIRC his sister would like to go to law school, hoping for a career as an attorney. But we know both literally and figuratively, Terry will continue to put her on his back in support.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,682

Post#26 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 am

cloverleaf wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Right. Also, with his lower draft position, TRo has made quite a bit less than what Smart has made on their first contracts. Terry seems to get the big things right in his life and obviously has a good relationship from Danny on down in the organization. With Kyrie, Terry and Smart all on the team this year, assuming the signing and barring any trades before the start of the season, it will be interesting to see how the minutes and roles go.

Oh, and IIRC his sister would like to go to law school, hoping for a career as an attorney. But we know both literally and figuratively, Terry will continue to put her on his back in support.

:) Great line!

I didn't know that about the sister. But yeah -- going into a law career these days, with disadvantages both in physical stamina and in education, isn't a ticket to earning large amounts of money. I WAS being sloppy in assuming she's even more disabled than she is ... but my general point probably still stands.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#27 » by Elrod is Back » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:16 pm

The Cs have Terry as a RFA next summer, just like Marcus this year. A year is a long time away, but I could see Danny matching any offer for Terry, even if he re-signs Kyrie, which I fully expect. Then, after December 15, 2019, Danny can trade Terry like LAC did with Blake Griffin. Or just keep him and have the deepest backcourt in the league for the next five years. (And if Kyrie departs, obviously Terry slots in as the starting point guard in 19-20.)

Even more likely, Danny says to Terry next June, if you really want to sign with another team so you can start, let me know the team or teams you are interested in and we will work out a sign-and-trade.

I don't see Danny letting Terry leave w/o getting something in return.

But that is 11 plus months away and a lot can change.

Return to Boston Celtics