ImageImageImage

What Can Brown Do For You?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Re: What Can Brown Do For You? 

Post#21 » by KumaJG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I dont see Jaylen handles improving because of small hands. Wonder what we will see from Brown because this is suppose to be the big third year leap. There is chance he can disappoint
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#22 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 pm

KumaJG wrote:I dont see Jaylen handles improving because of small hands. Wonder what we will see from Brown because this is suppose to be the big third year leap. There is chance he can disappoint

Not sure where this small hands meme came from. His hand length is 8.75 which is around average for a player his height. His width is 9.00, which is slightly below average.

His hands are as large as most guards, if not larger. They are considerably larger than Terry Rozier's (8.25, 8.50).

If Jaylen's hands are too small to dribble effectively, it is amazing Terry Rozier can even let the ball leave his hand and bounce off the floor without turning it over.

Jaylen might not have soft hands, that is another matter. But his handsize does not seem to be the problem.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=HEIGHT_WO_SHOES&dir=1&SeasonYear=2016-17
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#23 » by theman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:29 pm

I'd like to see Brown become a Kawhi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type player. A very capable scorer and a tenacious defender. He definitely has the tools.

My fear is there might be animosity/jealousy between Brown and Tatum. There is no evidence of the this but Tatum seems to get more accolades while Brown is putting up comparable numbers.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#24 » by Elrod is Back » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:02 pm

theman wrote:I'd like to see Brown become a Kawhi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type player. A very capable scorer and a tenacious defender. He definitely has the tools.

My fear is there might be animosity/jealousy between Brown and Tatum. There is no evidence of the this but Tatum seems to get more accolades while Brown is putting up comparable numbers.

I think we can all relax on that concern. Jaylen seems extremely comfortable in his own skin and not needing more external praise than others to be happy or feel appreciated. Quite the contrary. He strikes me as someone well aware of his charmed existence and fully intending to exploit his privileges to the fullest extent. No time for angst-inducing and childish headgames. He and Tatum will rise together, and they are both smart enough to see they benefit each other. Plus they will both be max guys so there is no money issue, and that is usually the source of this sort of acrimony.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#25 » by chakdaddy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Kid was dropping 30 in multiple big playoff games, and somehow complements Tatum with a physical/bullish style vs smoothness. Brown can do a lot
KumaJG
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by KumaJG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
KumaJG wrote:I dont see Jaylen handles improving because of small hands. Wonder what we will see from Brown because this is suppose to be the big third year leap. There is chance he can disappoint

Not sure where this small hands meme came from. His hand length is 8.75 which is around average for a player his height. His width is 9.00, which is slightly below average.

His hands are as large as most guards, if not larger. They are considerably larger than Terry Rozier's (8.25, 8.50).

If Jaylen's hands are too small to dribble effectively, it is amazing Terry Rozier can even let the ball leave his hand and bounce off the floor without turning it over.

Jaylen might not have soft hands, that is another matter. But his handsize does not seem to be the problem.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=HEIGHT_WO_SHOES&dir=1&SeasonYear=2016-17

Jaylen not a guard, more of a combo forward. Terry Rozier has big hands relative to his height. Speaking of Jaylen not having soft hands, one of reason why I dont see him being a good finisher.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#27 » by RB34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 pm

JB is slowly picking of his weaknesses one at a time, his decision making around the rim vastly improved from where it was at the start of the season as well as his FTs.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#28 » by return2glory » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:57 am

Our top 4 best players are Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum and Horford. Then it’s Brown and Rozier. If Smart by some miracle improves his shooting like we hope for every off season, Smart can be up there with Brown and Rozier.

Brown needs to improved his ball handling, passing, decision making and needs to develope a go to shot before he is in talks of an all star type player. Will he get there? The chances of that happening are a possibility because he works hard on his game. I liked he improvements he made last year over his rookie year. He should be improve more improved going into this season.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#29 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 am

I thought Jaylen did an excellent job improving his game last season. Since he has elite athleticism IMO, he has a very high potential. He will become more polished at shooting and finishing. Also as he gets older he will get his full grown man strength and probably add in a post game. He still has significant untapped potential.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#30 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:11 am

Parasite wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:
You have to have handles to be unstoppable.

Not really. Not everybody is Kyrie.

He doesn’t need Kyrie handles. He just needs to have good handles. And I don’t think he ever will. That is why I’ve never been as high on him as most here. If he never develops solid handles, he will be relegated to the outside and that kills a lot of his upside. I like him and want him on the team but he MUST be a good ball handler to be a superstar. I have my doubts.

I thought his handles from year 1 to year 2 were night and day. I think were forget just how atrocious they were his rookie year. Last year they were merely sub par. Lots and lots of practice and he can be at least solid.

Durant and Kobe had fairly small hands and are/were elite ball handlers. Curry has tiny hands compared to Jaylen and is considered one of the better ball handlers. Bigger hands would help Jaylen, but having good handles with smaller hands is not unprecedented.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,235

Post#31 » by Parasite » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:40 am

I do agree that his ballhandling was definitely better compared to his rookie year. But he was so bad his rookie year they almost had to be. I just have my doubts that he can improve them to a level where it will allow him to be elite. I really hope I’m wrong, because he seems like a hard worker and good kid.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,462

Post#32 » by Saint Lazarus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:20 am

Elrod is Back wrote:

dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#33 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am

KumaJG wrote:
Elrod is Back wrote:

Jaylen not a guard, more of a combo forward. Terry Rozier has big hands relative to his height. Speaking of Jaylen not having soft hands, one of reason why I dont see him being a good finisher.

Jaylen's a wing. Meaning he guards 2's and 3's. Either way, saying he's not a guard to prove a point is nitpicking; especially in Brad's system. His hand size is not the issue. Like many things with him, he has to work at it. Not sure he'll ever be an elite player. Not sure that he'll ever have more than average handle. That said, in our system it's not a requirement. Furthermore, there have been elite players that have come through this league with average handle.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#34 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:01 am

I see Brown as something of a Dominique Wilkins with less rebounding but better from the 3.
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#35 » by mwhis21 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:If this kid developed a nice little mid range game/go to move, he would be unstoppable. Last year he was wayyyyy too reliant on the 3pt shot. Game 7 he took 10+ because he just couldn't get anything else going againsta set defense. If he can get to thee paint against smaller guards and consistently hit that little fall away jumper that will really raise his game to the next level.

You have to have handles to be unstoppable.

Not really. Not everybody is Kyrie.

He doesn't have to be Kyrie. But his handles 100% need to improve.
KumaJG
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by KumaJG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 pm

I wonder if Brown BBIQ will improve. That can open up his game.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#37 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:03 pm

KumaJG wrote:I wonder if Brown BBIQ will improve. That can open up his game.

I don't think that can be improved. But what can is situational awareness. And he did make slight improvements there which comes with getting a better understanding of the offense, his role in it, and his strengths/limitations.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#38 » by theman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
theman wrote:I'd like to see Brown become a Kawhi Leonard/Jimmy Butler type player. A very capable scorer and a tenacious defender. He definitely has the tools.

I think we can all relax on that concern. Jaylen seems extremely comfortable in his own skin and not needing more external praise than others to be happy or feel appreciated. Quite the contrary. He strikes me as someone well aware of his charmed existence and fully intending to exploit his privileges to the fullest extent. No time for angst-inducing and childish headgames. He and Tatum will rise together, and they are both smart enough to see they benefit each other. Plus they will both be max guys so there is no money issue, and that is usually the source of this sort of acrimony.

I could be wrong but I get the impression Brown has a chip on his shoulder, based on a couple things I have heard him say.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#39 » by ermocrate » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Brown is a very good defender, greatness bound in that regard, and his offense is not limited to 3 point shot, he is good there. I think he is on the line to be one of the 5 to two way players in the NBA and I feel this is something we underrate too much. If he had Tatum offense he would be a top player in this league.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#40 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 pm

He's not on Kawhi's defensive level (nobody is), but he's very much got All-NBA defense tools. He needs to improve his off-ball D and post D. If he's working on his lower body and studying tape, both those will come.

I'd love to see him take from some of Butler's offensive game. Jimmy is a master in the post and drawing contact. With Jaylen's athleticism, he should be able to easily pick up some of the nuances that guys like Butler, Pierce and Wade learned to get guys off balance and draw contact.

Return to Boston Celtics