ImageImageImage

Kaminsky: C's did not offer 6 picks to Charlotte in the Winslow draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,314

Kaminsky: C's did not offer 6 picks to Charlotte in the Winslow draft 

Post#1 » by Gant » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:36 am

Via poster StadiumSpeak on Reddit, and from a Reddit AMA.

Kaminsky:
The draft night reporting was just off. The 6 picks thing got blown of of proportion. Went from 2 to 4 to 6 in like 2 days of media reporting but whatever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8zff2i/hey_its_frank_kaminsky_here_with_my_cohosts_from/e2icly2/

The Celtics are a team that has a bit of a reputation for misleading the media. The Hornets are a team that, especially under the Rich Cho regime, was notorious for not interacting with the media about things that weren’t official, and even sometimes things that were.

Add in Zach Lowe just beginning to make the shift from analytic writer to newsbreaker, some vague quotes from Curtis Polk and Dan Le Batard that referenced an offer but not the contents thereof, and Frank being Frank, and you just had the perfect recipe for misinformation to fly.

Sources that have a high degree of credibility were seemingly corroborating this insane story that the Hornets had passed up this huge offer and drafted that goofy tall guy (who actually turned out fine, in context of the ninth pick).

Three years later, Hornets fans can finally have some closure about that draft. They may not know the exact offer, but they can rest easy in that the crazy things that were reported (even if they were under an old regime), weren’t true, and that the most inside of inside sources has confirmed it.

https://fansided.com/2018/07/16/frank-kaminsky-confirms-boston-celtics-offer-draft-night-false/
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Kaminsky: C's did not offer 6 picks to Charlotte in the Winslow draft 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am

Terry Rozier, all by himself >>>>>>>>> Frank the Stank
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#3 » by Scoonie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am

Not surprised whatsoever. It never seemed likely that the Celtics offered 3 or 4 1st round picks for Justise **** Winslow.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#4 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:55 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Terry Rozier, all by himself >>>>>>>>> Frank the Stank

How can that be if Frank>>Booker?!
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#5 » by Iguodaladon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am

Anyone else still get shivers when they think about how crazy this offer could've been? :cry:
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#6 » by Drax » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 pm

I don't know who reported 6 picks but even the initial 4 picks discussed were blown out of proportion that draft day. People talked about Nets picks to move up when in reality it was the #16 pick, #28, the lottery protected MIN first rounder who turned out to be two second rounders and an additional second rounder. So in reality it the Cs offered 3 second rounders and the #16 and 28 pick to move up. In retrospect not that big of a price to move up 7-8 spots.

Here are the picks that were discussed.

2015 #16 Terry Rozier
2015 #28 RJ Hunter barely in the league
2015 #33 Jordan Mickey still not a rotation piece
2016 #35 Rade Zagorac traded on draft night never heard from him again (via 2015 MIN first rounder)
2017 #37 Semi Ojeleye (via 2015 MIN first rounder)

Still would have been ok with deal, if Justise Winslow would wear a Celtics jersey today. Ok deal in my eyes, to move into the lottery and get a player you want 3 second rounder and a late first is fair in my opinion.

Either way history is history no deal was made.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#7 » by timpiker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 pm

If that's true then I take back all of my criticisms of Danny.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#8 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:54 pm

The unfortunate thing about this is that only about 3% of people who believe that Danny offered 6 picks or whatever will read this "new" info, the other 97% will still bring it up as a point against Danny in any argument.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#9 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm

I always felt it was likely two rumors got mixed with each other because it was assumed we were going for Winslow no matter where we traded up to. That's really where it probably falls apart. I bet the Celtics offered 5-6 picks to move up to the 3-5 range, and since everyone thought it was for Winslow, it was assumed we made a similar offer at 9-11 or whatever.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#10 » by radcot » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:24 pm

3D Chess wrote:The unfortunate thing about this is that only about 3% of people who believe that Danny offered 6 picks or whatever will read this "new" info, the other 97% will still bring it up as a point against Danny in any argument.

Very true. And didn't he bite Tree Rollins' ear?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,982

Post#11 » by jfs1000d » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:34 pm

I think there was a godfather offer. Three 1st rounders. 16, 28 and one more.

Not sure the Brooklyn picks were ever on table.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#12 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

I can't find the post-draft interview of Danny but it sounded back then that what he offered was an overpayment. He sounded sort of relieved that the offer was rebuffed. That's how I remember it anyway. So it was easy to believe that it was some sort of godfather offer if he himself felt it was more than he would've given under different circumstances.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#13 » by 3D Chess » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:I can't find the post-draft interview of Danny but it sounded back then that what he offered was an overpayment. He sounded sort of relieved that the offer was rebuffed. That's how I remember it anyway. So it was easy to believe that it was some sort of godfather offer if he himself felt it was more than he would've given under different circumstances.

"Winslow instead was taken tenth by the Miami Heat and the Celtics drafted guard Terry Rozier with the 16th pick. Celtics GM Danny Ainge said afterward (via ESPN): "There was a time when I thought, 'Woah, this is getting a little out of control.' We're putting a lot of eggs in one young player's basket. So I’m not frustrated. In the long run, maybe it’ll be the best.""
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#14 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:07 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:I can't find the post-draft interview of Danny but it sounded back then that what he offered was an overpayment. He sounded sort of relieved that the offer was rebuffed. That's how I remember it anyway. So it was easy to believe that it was some sort of godfather offer if he himself felt it was more than he would've given under different circumstances.

I got you.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719666/no-justise-no-peace-celtics-plan-to-upgrade-continues

According to sources, the Celtics' final offer to the Hornets was a package featuring as many as six draft picks, including four potential first-round selections (a combination of picks from this draft and in the future). But the Hornets could not be swayed and turned down multiple offers to select Wisconsin center Frank Kaminsky.

Meeting with reporters in the aftermath of the draft, Ainge hinted at his team’s dogged pursuit. "Maybe we were going too hard at it," he said. "There was a time when I thought, ‘Woah, this is getting a little out of control.’ We’re putting a lot of eggs in one young player’s basket. So I’m not frustrated. In the long run, maybe it’ll be the best."

As for the picks offered, apparently it was 15, 16 and an unprotected Nets pick. The 15th pick was going to come from Atlanta in some sort of trade.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2015/7/28/9058035/charlotte-hornets-frank-kaminsky-trade-celtics

Boston offered their own No. 16 pick, the No. 15 pick from the Atlanta Hawks that was acquired in a "prearranged contingency deal," an unprotected future selection from the Brooklyn Nets and their choice of a future first-rounder from either the Memphis Grizzlies or Minnesota Timberwolves, according to Lowe. There's some dispute about whether additional second-round picks were also involved.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#15 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm

The relief could just be that, having gotten Rozier at 16, he was happy he didn't trade up. I think he had Rozier ranked a lot higher than anybody else who wound up being available with that pick, so if Rozier had been gone too he probably would have ascribed a lot less retrospective value to #16.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#16 » by CelticsLV » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:17 pm

When you need info about trade discussions just ask Kaminsky. I whole-heartedly believe this man who was there with Hornets FO when the trade discussions unfolded. What a joke.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#17 » by theman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Drax wrote:I don't know who reported 6 picks but even the initial 4 picks discussed were blown out of proportion that draft day. People talked about Nets picks to move up when in reality it was the #16 pick, #28, the lottery protected MIN first rounder who turned out to be two second rounders and an additional second rounder. So in reality it the Cs offered 3 second rounders and the #16 and 28 pick to move up. In retrospect not that big of a price to move up 7-8 spots.

Here are the picks that were discussed.

2015 #16 Terry Rozier
2015 #28 RJ Hunter barely in the league
2015 #33 Jordan Mickey still not a rotation piece
2016 #35 Rade Zagorac traded on draft night never heard from him again (via 2015 MIN first rounder)
2017 #37 Semi Ojeleye (via 2015 MIN first rounder)

Still would have been ok with deal, if Justise Winslow would wear a Celtics jersey today. Ok deal in my eyes, to move into the lottery and get a player you want 3 second rounder and a late first is fair in my opinion.

Either way history is history no deal was made.

Granted there is now injury history, but I don't think I trade Rozier and Ojeleye for Winslow today.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#18 » by colaroaster » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 pm

2015 was a great draft class, 2016 not so much
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#19 » by celtxman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 pm

ahhhhh this is starting to feel a little like Ainge really didn’t like Robert Swift. Ainge would have picked Durant over Oden I’m as happy as the next Celtics fan that Ainge is here, but I cringe a little when this kind of stuff comes out well after the fact. It would be nice if this stuff is true about the Winslow situation but I take it with a grain of salt.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#20 » by Valid » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:13 am

CelticsLV wrote:When you need info about trade discussions just ask Kaminsky. I whole-heartedly believe this man who was there with Hornets FO when the trade discussions unfolded. What a joke.

Be that as it may, I never believed for a second that Ainge offered six draft picks.

Return to Boston Celtics