ImageImageImage

General Boston Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,927

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1881 » by Joshyjess » Tue Feb 5, 2019 2:50 pm

I just saw the clip of Brady and Edelman at Disney World yesterday. They were on the parade float with Mickey and Goofy. Edeleman looked like he was having the time of his life up there, and both men got a chance to speak to the crowd (ending with chants of "We're Still Here"!!!!). I was thinking of what might have happened if Gronk had been invited to be up there with them. I could just here him saying something like - "Orlando, you are our ******* city too!!! Disney, you belong to the Patriots ******* Nation!!!!" :lol:
There's probably a good reason why Gronk wasn't up there!
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#1882 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Feb 5, 2019 7:29 pm

Joshyjess wrote:I just saw the clip of Brady and Edelman at Disney World yesterday. They were on the parade float with Mickey and Goofy. Edeleman looked like he was having the time of his life up there, and both men got a chance to speak to the crowd (ending with chants of "We're Still Here"!!!!). I was thinking of what might have happened if Gronk had been invited to be up there with them. I could just here him saying something like - "Orlando, you are our ******* city too!!! Disney, you belong to the Patriots ******* Nation!!!!" :lol:
There's probably a good reason why Gronk wasn't up there!

There's a great video somewhere of them having a lightsaber fight. Pretty cool.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#1883 » by 31to6 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 10:10 pm

Cave I'll just say if you had issues with Rick Reilly writing about Jordan.... have you heard Jim Gray all but fondle Brady on the radio for the last several years? **** gross ass stuff. I'd look for a link but it'd put viruses all over this computer.

And if I started watching in '88 I know the Bad Boys Pistons. But anyway. Time to move on to some hot takes about the Bruins I guess? Who's the LA team in hockey again they apparently get to **** up in June?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#1884 » by Parliament10 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:05 am

Police from basically every city in Massachusetts, were on duty for the Parade.
If there were 1,000,000 million people there, 20,000 of them had to be cops.

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#1885 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:18 am

31to6 wrote:Teams the 80s Lakers beat in the finals:
1980 Sixers = 59 wins, 1982 Sixers = 58 wins, 1985 C's = 63 wins, 87 C's = 59 wins, 88 Pistons = 54 wins.

Best teams LA beat on the way to the finals:
Defending champ Sonics 1980: 56 wins
1982 Spurs = 48 wins
1983 Spurs = 53 wins
1984 beat the 38 win Kings, 43 win Mavs, and 41 win Suns
1985 Nuggets = 52 wins
1987 beat the 37 win Nuggets, 42 win Warrios, and 37 win Sonics in the WCF
1988 Mavs = 53 wins
1989 Suns = 55 wins
**Ironically in 1991, the year they went on to lose to Jordan's Bulls in the Finals, they had just beaten the 63-win TrailBlazers.

Best teams the 80s Celtics beat on the way to the finals:
81 Sixers = 62 wins = one of the greatest victories in franchise history
84 Bucks = 50 wins
86 Bucks = 57 wins

So tougher in the East than in the West during the 80s, on balance. But let's be honest the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers were the ONLY great teams in that decade, and the Sixers only lasted half of it. Moncrief/Sikma Bucks were good but acting like the Shaq Magic or Ewing Knicks are nowhere near their level? "Monsterland?" Cmon.. know your biases.

87 Pistons were damn good. Regular season record very misleading. Just look at their roster and the ages of their veterans. And look at their post season record before and after they faced the Celtics that year. In the two series before the Celtics, they dominated and only lost one game.

The Pistons teams that the Bulls lost to twice were excellent but just not quite as good as the best Celtics/Lakers squads of the 80's.

The Bucks teams were excellent. But excellent didn't make the NBA finals out of the EC in the 1980's. You had to go beyond that. On the other hand once the NBA expanded so much some not so great teams like Iverson's 76ers, Spreewell/Camby Knicks(Ewing very old/hurt), Nets twice, Orlando Magic, Lebron's Cavs at times have made the finals. Your list doesn't showcase all the years Milwaukee won an impressive amount of games for that era. You don't sweep a team with 3 future HOFers and a Finals MVP(Maxwell) unless you are damn good.

What your stats fail to recognize that in a 23 team team league like the Lakers/Celtics were facing in the 1980's, it was much tougher to get to 60 wins. Nowadays, with so many teams junk teams are more likely to threaten to win near 60 games.

There is a reason why Russell's Celtics despite their ridiculous dominance was often winning[b] less than 60 games
or not much more than it. Only 8 teams back then...their was simply less crap teams out there to dominate.
[/b]

Basketball talent improved in the 1970's as more people played the game. If you looked at the top 100 players of the 60's vs 70's but the average team got much worse for a while since expansion got way ahead of population growth. That is what expansion does.

Put 42 teams in the NFL next year and keep the Patriots the same while distributing rest of talent, they win 13 game in their sleep.

Less teams tends to ensure their are less tanking teams and more teams have at least one star that can win you a game during regular season.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#1886 » by soxfan2003 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:38 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Jordan never beat a real team, and dominated with stacked teams in an expansion era with no rival.

Beat the Pistons coming off two titles, Magic's Lakers, Drexler's Blazers, Barkley's Suns, Ewing's Knicks, Miller's Pacers, Payton/Kemp Sonics -- all good teams.

The part in red above is spot on. I love Brady but he's probably more Bill Russell than MJ. And as a Boston fan I'm pretty good with that.

The Pistons and Lakers teams were washed and injured by the time those series hit. Rest of those teams were meh, save maybe the 1998 Pacers.

Depending upon the edition of the Bulls, Bulls were like 90-100% as good as the mid 80 Celtics/Lakers squad having a huge advantage of expansion era and not having to face another great team once they climbed to the top of the mountain.

Perhaps, the best evidence of how weak the teams Chicago played in the finals is the Utah Jazz. Utah before expansion despite all of Malone's and Stockton's greatness never made the NBA Finals since it usually took more than 2 great players unless you had a true matchup advantage against the Lakers. Perhaps, Lakers only real weakness was older Kareem for all of his greatness could be bullied a bit. But in their mid 30's, all of a sudden the Jazz made the NBA finals twice in a row. Hmm... Utah stars did age well but they still got worse despite Malone probably taking steroids. The competition to make the finals got easier so Utah finally made it.

If Phoenix actually had a prime Rasheed Wallace type player to actually help guard the paint, they would have been a legitimately great team for Chicago to face but they didn't. Suns had great offense for that era at least but had weak defense. I remember that team very well and the very good but not great Portland teams since I liked watching Ainge, a former Celtic. So, they were a team with little shot at beating Jordan/Pippen in NBA finals since the Bulls had a great defense and Jordan thrived on taking advantage of teams that couldn't step up their defense.

Pistons once they aged, they fell off a cliff. So Pistons were washed up when Chicago finally beat them. Lakers were injured and Kareem had retired.

Seattle was a team that was very good for sure but their won loss record was a product of expansion as well. And Payton a little injured for that series.

Chicago/Jordan did face some all time great teams(86 Celtics) and some great teams that weren't at an all time level(87 Celtics that were suffering major injuries including McHale playing with broken foot) and Detroit.

But once Chicago won their first title, their wasn't another team as good as even the Bay Boys Pistons until the Spurs got lucky enough to get Tim Duncan. Why? Expansion.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1887 » by Joshyjess » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Post changed. :)
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#1888 » by truth18 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Blanked

Sign him up. I'll be first in line for a jersey. Go Patriots.
YOU LOSE
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1889 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Spoiler:
Joshyjess wrote:Just read an article that said Kaepernick's lawyer is listing that Patriots as a possible landing spot for the former QB. Hopefully there is nothing to this at all, but if it were to happen, I will have watched my last Patriot's game (or at least last game until he gets booted off the team).
Just say "NO" to Kaepernick!!!

Eh.
Let's not turn this into a Political-like Thread.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1890 » by Joshyjess » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:Just read an article that said Kaepernick's lawyer is listing that Patriots as a possible landing spot for the former QB. Hopefully there is nothing to this at all, but if it were to happen, I will have watched my last Patriot's game (or at least last game until he gets booted off the team).
Just say "NO" to Kaepernick!!!

Eh.
Let's not turn this into a Political-like Thread.

sorry, didn't really think of it along those lines, but I'll be glad to delete my post to avoid any problems.

Didn't know how to delete it, so I changed it instead.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#1891 » by mbsnmisc » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
31to6 wrote:Teams the 80s Lakers beat in the finals:
1980 Sixers = 59 wins, 1982 Sixers = 58 wins, 1985 C's = 63 wins, 87 C's = 59 wins, 88 Pistons = 54 wins.

Best teams LA beat on the way to the finals:
Defending champ Sonics 1980: 56 wins
1982 Spurs = 48 wins
1983 Spurs = 53 wins
1984 beat the 38 win Kings, 43 win Mavs, and 41 win Suns
1985 Nuggets = 52 wins
1987 beat the 37 win Nuggets, 42 win Warrios, and 37 win Sonics in the WCF
1988 Mavs = 53 wins
1989 Suns = 55 wins
**Ironically in 1991, the year they went on to lose to Jordan's Bulls in the Finals, they had just beaten the 63-win TrailBlazers.

Best teams the 80s Celtics beat on the way to the finals:
81 Sixers = 62 wins = one of the greatest victories in franchise history
84 Bucks = 50 wins
86 Bucks = 57 wins

So tougher in the East than in the West during the 80s, on balance. But let's be honest the Sixers, Celtics and Lakers were the ONLY great teams in that decade, and the Sixers only lasted half of it. Moncrief/Sikma Bucks were good but acting like the Shaq Magic or Ewing Knicks are nowhere near their level? "Monsterland?" Cmon.. know your biases.

87 Pistons were damn good. Regular season record very misleading. Just look at their roster and the ages of their veterans. And look at their post season record before and after they faced the Celtics that year. In the two series before the Celtics, they dominated and only lost one game.

The Pistons teams that the Bulls lost to twice were excellent but just not quite as good as the best Celtics/Lakers squads of the 80's.

The Bucks teams were excellent. But excellent didn't make the NBA finals out of the EC in the 1980's. You had to go beyond that. On the other hand once the NBA expanded so much some not so great teams like Iverson's 76ers, Spreewell/Camby Knicks(Ewing very old/hurt), Nets twice, Orlando Magic, Lebron's Cavs at times have made the finals. Your list doesn't showcase all the years Milwaukee won an impressive amount of games for that era. You don't sweep a team with 3 future HOFers and a Finals MVP(Maxwell) unless you are damn good.

What your stats fail to recognize that in a 23 team team league like the Lakers/Celtics were facing in the 1980's, it was much tougher to get to 60 wins. Nowadays, with so many teams junk teams are more likely to threaten to win near 60 games.

There is a reason why Russell's Celtics despite their ridiculous dominance was often winning[b] less than 60 games
or not much more than it. Only 8 teams back then...their was simply less crap teams out there to dominate.
[/b]

Basketball talent improved in the 1970's as more people played the game. If you looked at the top 100 players of the 60's vs 70's but the average team got much worse for a while since expansion got way ahead of population growth. That is what expansion does.

Put 42 teams in the NFL next year and keep the Patriots the same while distributing rest of talent, they win 13 game in their sleep.

Less teams tends to ensure their are less tanking teams and more teams have at least one star that can win you a game during regular season.

Your highlighted text is why I laugh at people who downplay the Celts dominance in the Russell era based on the 8 team ****. I understand the players of today have superior training and have raised the standards of the sport. But every great American player was spread out over 8 teams. The competition, for its era must have been incredible.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#1892 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am

This year could witness a quadfecta with all Boston teams winning championships.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1893 » by Joshyjess » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:This year could witness a quadfecta with all Boston teams winning championships.

Could you just imagine the hatred that the rest of the country would have if that were to happen? It would be so awesome!!!!
Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. The C's might have an outside chance if they finally start consistently playing like they should the rest of the way, but the B's just don't seem to have it this year (most likely a first round exit).
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#1894 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:This year could witness a quadfecta with all Boston teams winning championships.

What's the closest thats ever happened with any city?
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#1895 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:08 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:

No Idea
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#1896 » by Green89 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:16 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

No Idea

Not the same year, but over the course of 7 years, 2004-2011, all four Boston teams won titles. Not sure that's even been done before.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1897 » by Joshyjess » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Apparently in 1935 Detroit won the championship in Football, Baseball and Hockey. But no North American City has ever had 4 teams all win in the same year.
Let's change that!!!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1898 » by Parliament10 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 am

Joshyjess wrote:Apparently in 1935 Detroit won the championship in Football, Baseball and Hockey. But no North American City has ever had 4 teams all win in the same year.
Let's change that!!!

You're close. But no city has actually won championships in more than 2 sports in a year's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Detroit
The Detroit Lions won the National Football League championship in 1935. The Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant in 1934 and again in 1935, subsequently winning the World Series in 1935. The Detroit Red Wings won the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup in 1936 and 1937.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1899 » by Joshyjess » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:Apparently in 1935 Detroit won the championship in Football, Baseball and Hockey. But no North American City has ever had 4 teams all win in the same year.
Let's change that!!!

You're close. But no city has actually won championships in more than 2 sports in a year's time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_Detroit
The Detroit Lions won the National Football League championship in 1935. The Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant in 1934 and again in 1935, subsequently winning the World Series in 1935. The Detroit Red Wings won the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup in 1936 and 1937.

According to Bleacher Report the Redwings won in the 1935-1936 season. I really have no idea (that's a few years before my time), but that is what the B-R is saying, which would seem to make all three victories in the same year (or season).
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#1900 » by Joshyjess » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Joshyjess wrote:

Could you just imagine the hatred that the rest of the country would have if that were to happen? It would be so awesome!!!!
Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. The C's might have an outside chance if they finally start consistently playing like they should the rest of the way, but the B's just don't seem to have it this year (most likely a first round exit).

Looks like the B's are trying to prove me wrong! They've been playing some incredible hockey lately, even short handed. Maybe, just maybe they might win it all. Of course, there is a team called the Lightning who might have something to say about that.

Return to Boston Celtics