ImageImageImage

General Boston Sports Thread

Moderators: The Comedian, Parliament10, djFan71, ParticleMan, sully00, Froob, canman1971

User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 12,548
And1: 14,012
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1501 » by 31to6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:51 pm

canman1971 wrote:I always give congrats to the Pats as most of my friends and family are huge fans. If only the players I met when I was 11 were nicer to me, I'd probably be a fan, however I told them I could never root for them ever. And they were a bunch of JAGs, but I am a stubborn little prick sometimes. Then, fate pushed me to the Dolphins. And while a division rival, I can only hope the Fins somehow, some way find a way to have the success of the Pats of the past 19 years. Hopefully Flores will bring some type of stability to what has become an embarrassing organization from the owner down to some of the players. Good luck in the Bowl. My gut tells me #6 is on the horizon.


so the players you met when you were 11 weren't pussies? :wink:

Good luck with Flores, but he'd be the first successful coordinator to leave us, right? You should just make the switch, man. Your family and friends will forgive you and there's room on the bandwagon.
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 12,548
And1: 14,012
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1502 » by 31to6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:00 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Spoiler:
truth18 wrote:
Turgon wrote:The Chiefs should consider hiring Romo as their new defensive coordinator. I mean, I know I'm not as familiar with football as most of you are but I was listening to him and he nailed every. single. call.

Read on Twitter


Other guys can do that as well, including people of the streets. It's impressive but it's not what makes Romo good.

Romo's broadcasting talent is in his genuine enthusiasm for the game. You can hear him smiling and feel his heart beating in the intense parts of the game. He is also extremely concise and precise in his observation/comments. He seems to already be mastering the art of calling out the refs without actually saying as much at an early point. Dude might go down as the GOAT color broadcaster in any sport if he does this for the rest of his career.

Maybe Brady should go that route... after he retires with 4 more titles.

Not enough mea culpas in this thread. Might have to nuke some folks lol.


To get back to our boring-as-hell conversation:

O-line was phenomenal last night -- statistically put up the best game of any line all season. Amazing given that none of these guys had much of a rep coming into the year, and yes, a testament to coaching and culture here. Biggest test of the year coming up.

Sony's exceeded anything Dion Lewis did for us. Blount? Not sure don't care.

Receivers remain dicey in terms of any long-ball threat, been quite a journey at that position this year obviously.

Secondary -- Jackson almost did us in last night but hopefully he plays the game of his life in two weeks. Or they bring in someone new off the streets. What's Malcolm Butler up to? :)

Brady and Belichick are remarkable. I keep thinking Brady's like if Larry Bird played for 18 seasons, but really the comparison has to be to Russell and Auerbach. I mean: holy ****. One sports town is really doing this twice?
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,195
And1: 5,828
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1503 » by canman1971 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:49 pm

31to6 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:I always give congrats to the Pats as most of my friends and family are huge fans. If only the players I met when I was 11 were nicer to me, I'd probably be a fan, however I told them I could never root for them ever. And they were a bunch of JAGs, but I am a stubborn little prick sometimes. Then, fate pushed me to the Dolphins. And while a division rival, I can only hope the Fins somehow, some way find a way to have the success of the Pats of the past 19 years. Hopefully Flores will bring some type of stability to what has become an embarrassing organization from the owner down to some of the players. Good luck in the Bowl. My gut tells me #6 is on the horizon.


so the players you met when you were 11 weren't pussies? :wink:

Good luck with Flores, but he'd be the first successful coordinator to leave us, right? You should just make the switch, man. Your family and friends will forgive you and there's room on the bandwagon.

Haha, I was the pussy. I was at my local HS gym and there was probably 500+ kids/parents behind me, so in retrospect, I certainly understand why they would say, "we need to keep moving." But as far as the switch, I am a firm believer, you stick with your team no matter what. I would feel dirty and like a traitor if I did that. That's why I just wish the best for my friends and family. And they would do the same for me, as they know the suffering I have and continue to go through. :lol:
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
Posts: 18,649
And1: 22,118
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1504 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 am

31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Spoiler:
truth18 wrote:
Other guys can do that as well, including people of the streets. It's impressive but it's not what makes Romo good.

Romo's broadcasting talent is in his genuine enthusiasm for the game. You can hear him smiling and feel his heart beating in the intense parts of the game. He is also extremely concise and precise in his observation/comments. He seems to already be mastering the art of calling out the refs without actually saying as much at an early point. Dude might go down as the GOAT color broadcaster in any sport if he does this for the rest of his career.

Maybe Brady should go that route... after he retires with 4 more titles.

Not enough mea culpas in this thread. Might have to nuke some folks lol.


To get back to our boring-as-hell conversation:

O-line was phenomenal last night -- statistically put up the best game of any line all season. Amazing given that none of these guys had much of a rep coming into the year, and yes, a testament to coaching and culture here. Biggest test of the year coming up.

Sony's exceeded anything Dion Lewis did for us. Blount? Not sure don't care.

Receivers remain dicey in terms of any long-ball threat, been quite a journey at that position this year obviously.

Secondary -- Jackson almost did us in last night but hopefully he plays the game of his life in two weeks. Or they bring in someone new off the streets. What's Malcolm Butler up to? :)

Brady and Belichick are remarkable. I keep thinking Brady's like if Larry Bird played for 18 seasons, but really the comparison has to be to Russell and Auerbach. I mean: holy ****. One sports town is really doing this twice?


In the macro, several other posters were worrywarting at 1-2 and talking about how we had fallen off and were screwed. I chimed in to say that we were still as good as anyone. Verdict on that, no matter what happens next = 100% correct, obviously.

In the micro, of the points I made to support that macro that you parsed down...

Claim of top 5 O-line, when healthy = 100% correct, obviously. They didn't even get near Brady yesterday.

Claim of most talent at RB than we have had since forever ago = 100% correct, obviously.

Claim that WR was probably deepest position on team in training camp = Feel free to make a claim otherwise, but I wouldn't.

Claim of elite special teams = 100% correct, obviously. Been true for years and years.

Claim of top 5 secondary = Also 100% correct.

Gilmore is one of the best CBs in the game, and we have an elite crew at Safety. You hanging on to that perceived weakness at 2nd and 3rd CB like a life raft, but it isn't there. JC Jackson, Gilmore, both McCourtys, Chung, Harmon, and even Jonathan Jones all ranked very high by PFF this year.

Jesus, man. Not even looking for a pound of flesh, but stop being stubborn. I absolutely ran the **** table on you. Irrefutably, and on every single point discussed. It really doesn't get more lopsided that that. It would be like an opposing team saying they had the GOAT team before training camp, only have them go 1-81, before clinging on to that one win as some kind of victory.

Sad part is, it wasn't even your loss to take, until you chimed in to parse down how I claimed the Pats were still elite to some guys who were bashing the team.

Stop being stubborn and enjoy the greatness of this Patriots team! Still elite! Still making Super Bowls!
Kyrie For Three
General Manager
Posts: 7,686
And1: 11,696
Joined: Jan 03, 2018

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1505 » by Kyrie For Three » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 12,548
And1: 14,012
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1506 » by 31to6 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Spoiler:

Maybe Brady should go that route... after he retires with 4 more titles.

Not enough mea culpas in this thread. Might have to nuke some folks lol.


To get back to our boring-as-hell conversation:

O-line was phenomenal last night -- statistically put up the best game of any line all season. Amazing given that none of these guys had much of a rep coming into the year, and yes, a testament to coaching and culture here. Biggest test of the year coming up.

Sony's exceeded anything Dion Lewis did for us. Blount? Not sure don't care.

Receivers remain dicey in terms of any long-ball threat, been quite a journey at that position this year obviously.

Secondary -- Jackson almost did us in last night but hopefully he plays the game of his life in two weeks. Or they bring in someone new off the streets. What's Malcolm Butler up to? :)

Brady and Belichick are remarkable. I keep thinking Brady's like if Larry Bird played for 18 seasons, but really the comparison has to be to Russell and Auerbach. I mean: holy ****. One sports town is really doing this twice?


In the macro, several other posters were worrywarting at 1-2 and talking about how we had fallen off and were screwed. I chimed in to say that we were still as good as anyone. Verdict on that, no matter what happens next = 100% correct, obviously.

In the micro, of the points I made to support that macro that you parsed down...

Claim of top 5 O-line, when healthy = 100% correct, obviously. They didn't even get near Brady yesterday.

Claim of most talent at RB than we have had since forever ago = 100% correct, obviously.

Claim that WR was probably deepest position on team in training camp = Feel free to make a claim otherwise, but I wouldn't.

Claim of elite special teams = 100% correct, obviously. Been true for years and years.

Claim of top 5 secondary = Also 100% correct.

Gilmore is one of the best CBs in the game, and we have an elite crew at Safety. You hanging on to that perceived weakness at 2nd and 3rd CB like a life raft, but it isn't there. JC Jackson, Gilmore, both McCourtys, Chung, Harmon, and even Jonathan Jones all ranked very high by PFF this year.

Jesus, man. Not even looking for a pound of flesh, but stop being stubborn. I absolutely ran the **** table on you. Irrefutably, and on every single point discussed. It really doesn't get more lopsided that that. It would be like an opposing team saying they had the GOAT team before training camp, only have them go 1-81, before clinging on to that one win as some kind of victory.

Sad part is, it wasn't even your loss to take, until you chimed in to parse down how I claimed the Pats were still elite to some guys who were bashing the team.

Stop being stubborn and enjoy the greatness of this Patriots team! Still elite! Still making Super Bowls!


Totally enjoying this run. Trying to give you credit where it's due if you can notice it, rather than just disappearing. Still would argue some minor points (Blount did a lot for us within the last five years for example; that wide receiver depth in training camp was garbage depth; hopefully the CBs not named Gilmore play better than those spots did last February) and the overall point that if some things are arguable then everything's *not actually* 'obvious' -- never was looking for victory, just to make that point. Never wanted the team to underperform (though their RS was crap by their standards) and totally enjoying the juggernaut that's rolling towards Atlanta. As I just said, we're basically seeing the Russell and Red dynasty again. HOLY CRAP is that awesome -- I'm not old enough to have been around then -- always wondered what it was like. Well: like this.
Kyrie For Three
General Manager
Posts: 7,686
And1: 11,696
Joined: Jan 03, 2018

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1507 » by Kyrie For Three » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 am

Read on Twitter
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
Posts: 18,649
And1: 22,118
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1508 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 am

31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:
To get back to our boring-as-hell conversation:

O-line was phenomenal last night -- statistically put up the best game of any line all season. Amazing given that none of these guys had much of a rep coming into the year, and yes, a testament to coaching and culture here. Biggest test of the year coming up.

Sony's exceeded anything Dion Lewis did for us. Blount? Not sure don't care.

Receivers remain dicey in terms of any long-ball threat, been quite a journey at that position this year obviously.

Secondary -- Jackson almost did us in last night but hopefully he plays the game of his life in two weeks. Or they bring in someone new off the streets. What's Malcolm Butler up to? :)

Brady and Belichick are remarkable. I keep thinking Brady's like if Larry Bird played for 18 seasons, but really the comparison has to be to Russell and Auerbach. I mean: holy ****. One sports town is really doing this twice?


In the macro, several other posters were worrywarting at 1-2 and talking about how we had fallen off and were screwed. I chimed in to say that we were still as good as anyone. Verdict on that, no matter what happens next = 100% correct, obviously.

In the micro, of the points I made to support that macro that you parsed down...

Claim of top 5 O-line, when healthy = 100% correct, obviously. They didn't even get near Brady yesterday.

Claim of most talent at RB than we have had since forever ago = 100% correct, obviously.

Claim that WR was probably deepest position on team in training camp = Feel free to make a claim otherwise, but I wouldn't.

Claim of elite special teams = 100% correct, obviously. Been true for years and years.

Claim of top 5 secondary = Also 100% correct.

Gilmore is one of the best CBs in the game, and we have an elite crew at Safety. You hanging on to that perceived weakness at 2nd and 3rd CB like a life raft, but it isn't there. JC Jackson, Gilmore, both McCourtys, Chung, Harmon, and even Jonathan Jones all ranked very high by PFF this year.

Jesus, man. Not even looking for a pound of flesh, but stop being stubborn. I absolutely ran the **** table on you. Irrefutably, and on every single point discussed. It really doesn't get more lopsided that that. It would be like an opposing team saying they had the GOAT team before training camp, only have them go 1-81, before clinging on to that one win as some kind of victory.

Sad part is, it wasn't even your loss to take, until you chimed in to parse down how I claimed the Pats were still elite to some guys who were bashing the team.

Stop being stubborn and enjoy the greatness of this Patriots team! Still elite! Still making Super Bowls!


Totally enjoying this run. Trying to give you credit where it's due if you can notice it, rather than just disappearing. Still would argue some minor points (Blount did a lot for us within the last five years for example; that wide receiver depth in training camp was garbage depth; hopefully the CBs not named Gilmore play better than those spots did last February) and the overall point that if some things are arguable then everything's *not actually* 'obvious' -- never was looking for victory, just to make that point. Never wanted the team to underperform (though their RS was crap by their standards) and totally enjoying the juggernaut that's rolling towards Atlanta. As I just said, we're basically seeing the Russell and Red dynasty again. HOLY CRAP is that awesome -- I'm not old enough to have been around then -- always wondered what it was like. Well: like this.


Image

Props for stepping up. But it didn't have to be this way!

We have Belichick and Brady, and that's more than anyone else has ever had or ever will have!

Facts!
Joshyjess
Rookie
Posts: 1,023
And1: 1,522
Joined: Jun 20, 2018
         

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1509 » by Joshyjess » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:21 pm

There's a story now (and a video) of someone shining a laser at Brady during the game. Can you just imagine if this had been the other way around? If fans in Foxboro had used a laser on the opposing QB, there would already be 20 stories and a major investigation about Laser Gate. It's so funny when the fans of whatever team the Pats beat start spouting off about how the NFL loves the Pats, and wants to see them in the SB. The NFL (and especially that old butt-head Goodell have done everything in their power to keep the Pats out - and yet the Pats just keep on winning.
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,257
And1: 1,026
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1510 » by BillTheGOAT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:37 pm

Hopefully they'll keep the roof open for the super bowl. I hate watching a game in a dome, football is an outdoor sport period. Its still a relatively small roof compared to the rest of the building.

But unfortunately they will probably close it anyways.

Great stadium though.

User avatar
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Midwest via New England
Contact:
     

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1511 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Joshyjess wrote:There's a story now (and a video) of someone shining a laser at Brady during the game. Can you just imagine if this had been the other way around? If fans in Foxboro had used a laser on the opposing QB, there would already be 20 stories and a major investigation about Laser Gate. It's so funny when the fans of whatever team the Pats beat start spouting off about how the NFL loves the Pats, and wants to see them in the SB. The NFL (and especially that old butt-head Goodell have done everything in their power to keep the Pats out - and yet the Pats just keep on winning.


Unlike the NBA and MLB which will bend over backwards and do anything to help the Lakers (and Knicks) and Yankees, respectively, the NFL has done everything they can to screw-job the Pats over the last 20 years...and they STILL win.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
ViperGTS
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,385
And1: 4,397
Joined: Jul 04, 2016

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1512 » by ViperGTS » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm

Joshyjess wrote:There's a story now (and a video) of someone shining a laser at Brady during the game. Can you just imagine if this had been the other way around? If fans in Foxboro had used a laser on the opposing QB, there would already be 20 stories and a major investigation about Laser Gate. It's so funny when the fans of whatever team the Pats beat start spouting off about how the NFL loves the Pats, and wants to see them in the SB. The NFL (and especially that old butt-head Goodell have done everything in their power to keep the Pats out - and yet the Pats just keep on winning.


It’s not Goodell. Goodell gets his power and marching orders from the league. Other than that what you said is correct.
User avatar
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Midwest via New England
Contact:
     

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1513 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:19 pm

ViperGTS wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:There's a story now (and a video) of someone shining a laser at Brady during the game. Can you just imagine if this had been the other way around? If fans in Foxboro had used a laser on the opposing QB, there would already be 20 stories and a major investigation about Laser Gate. It's so funny when the fans of whatever team the Pats beat start spouting off about how the NFL loves the Pats, and wants to see them in the SB. The NFL (and especially that old butt-head Goodell have done everything in their power to keep the Pats out - and yet the Pats just keep on winning.


It’s not Goodell. Goodell gets his power and marching orders from the league. Other than that what you said is correct.


And the other 31 owners are all jealous whiny bitches who are tired of getting their asses kicked by the Pats every year. They want to see the Pats taken down a peg or two even if it's bogus. There were anonymous owners who said as much in a few interviews during the whole Deflategate charade.

As I always say, winners focus on winning and losers focus on winners. The Pats are winners, the other 31 teams are losers.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
User avatar
mbsnmisc
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 3,721
Joined: Feb 13, 2012
Location: Murrells Inlet SC
     

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1514 » by mbsnmisc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:33 am

Bleeding Green wrote:No. I'd want him to play until he's an average or worse QB. Or if they have another option lined up (but even if they draft someone this year, he'd be at least 2+ years away from being as good as Brady).

If he retires, who is the quarterback for the 19-20 Patriots? They traded away Garoppolo so they better get more than one full year out of Brady or I'd be pretty pissed at the decision-making on that one.

You might be a very old man before the Pats have a QB that is even close to Brady. If ever. You might be even older before anyone has a coach like Belichick.

I am a lifelong Dolphin fan. My youth was filled with prime Don Shula on the sidelines, going to 3 straight Super Bowls. Players like Griese and Csonka and Warfield. Then in my 20's and through my 30's, it was older Don Shula, No Belichick for sure, but still a top of the line coach. The players were Marino and Clayton and Taylor. Still really good teams, they had the highest winning percentage in all US sport, but they were no longer competing for titles. Shula got old, the team just was not as good as SF and Buffalo ran the AFC East.

Enjoy this unprecedented run gentleman, you are watching history.
User avatar
mbsnmisc
Starter
Posts: 2,008
And1: 3,721
Joined: Feb 13, 2012
Location: Murrells Inlet SC
     

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1515 » by mbsnmisc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 am

ViperGTS wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Here's something interesting. Without the Miami Hail Mary, the Chiefs would have fallen to the 5th seed.

NE, KC and Chargers all would have been 12-4. The 3-team tiebreaker process not the same as the 2-team process. Looked it up and Pats would have gotten it due to best head-to-head winning percentage among games played between the 3 teams (1-0). However, the Chargers (1-1) would have been the 2nd seed, and not the Chiefs (1-2), by virtue of a better record in those games.

How interesting is THAT? Wild Card games would have been Colts at Texans, and Chiefs at Baltimore. Pats then draw Colts this week, while Chiefs (presumably) have to play Chargers in LA. Chiefs AFC playoff draw would most likely have been @BAL, @LAC, @NE, which is a very, very different deal than hosting weak Colts and then Pats.

I am a life long Phin fan. The change in playoff seedings based on that one play is mind bending. I will admit to enjoying the excitement of the hook and ladder, but in the long run, all that win did was cost us somewhere between 3-5 places in the draft. You never know what that will mean down the road.
Good luck the rest of this season. I don't really hate you guys. I have nothing but the greatest respect for Belichick and Brady. They are both the GOAT. I look at you like a little brother, we owned the period in my life when football was important to me, now that you have had your "little run" I will just rustle your hair, give you a kick in the ass and tell you to go mow the lawn, I have more important **** to worry about.


Love the sentiment...but you guys are more like Uncle Rico. 1 SB vs 5. Not even close.

We have 2 wins. Not 5, but also not 1. The Dolphins have been to 5 Super Bowls.
User avatar
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 25, 2005
Location: Midwest via New England
Contact:
     

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1516 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm

For anyone who is interested, I wrote a little piece on how ridiculous this Patriots run over the last 20 years has been. We're never going to see anything like this ever again, certainly not in the NFL --> https://rnrchemist.blogspot.com/2019/01/this-is-not-supposed-to-happen-new.html
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,256
And1: 5,089
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1517 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:35 pm

mbsnmisc wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:No. I'd want him to play until he's an average or worse QB. Or if they have another option lined up (but even if they draft someone this year, he'd be at least 2+ years away from being as good as Brady).

If he retires, who is the quarterback for the 19-20 Patriots? They traded away Garoppolo so they better get more than one full year out of Brady or I'd be pretty pissed at the decision-making on that one.

You might be a very old man before the Pats have a QB that is even close to Brady. If ever. You might be even older before anyone has a coach like Belichick.

I am a lifelong Dolphin fan. My youth was filled with prime Don Shula on the sidelines, going to 3 straight Super Bowls. Players like Griese and Csonka and Warfield. Then in my 20's and through my 30's, it was older Don Shula, No Belichick for sure, but still a top of the line coach. The players were Marino and Clayton and Taylor. Still really good teams, they had the highest winning percentage in all US sport, but they were no longer competing for titles. Shula got old, the team just was not as good as SF and Buffalo ran the AFC East.

Enjoy this unprecedented run gentleman, you are watching history.

Well, they had Garoppolo who looked like a reasonable facsimile of Brady in the few quarters he was able to play during Brady's suspension. Of course he can't stay healthy at all so you can point at that and say he isn't nearly as good since staying upright and healthy is one of Brady's best features. I don't doubt Belichick could pick the next great Patriots QB before he heads off.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
Posts: 18,649
And1: 22,118
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1518 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:No. I'd want him to play until he's an average or worse QB. Or if they have another option lined up (but even if they draft someone this year, he'd be at least 2+ years away from being as good as Brady).

If he retires, who is the quarterback for the 19-20 Patriots? They traded away Garoppolo so they better get more than one full year out of Brady or I'd be pretty pissed at the decision-making on that one.

You might be a very old man before the Pats have a QB that is even close to Brady. If ever. You might be even older before anyone has a coach like Belichick.

I am a lifelong Dolphin fan. My youth was filled with prime Don Shula on the sidelines, going to 3 straight Super Bowls. Players like Griese and Csonka and Warfield. Then in my 20's and through my 30's, it was older Don Shula, No Belichick for sure, but still a top of the line coach. The players were Marino and Clayton and Taylor. Still really good teams, they had the highest winning percentage in all US sport, but they were no longer competing for titles. Shula got old, the team just was not as good as SF and Buffalo ran the AFC East.

Enjoy this unprecedented run gentleman, you are watching history.

Well, they had Garoppolo who looked like a reasonable facsimile of Brady in the few quarters he was able to play during Brady's suspension. Of course he can't stay healthy at all so you can point at that and say he isn't nearly as good since staying upright and healthy is one of Brady's best features. I don't doubt Belichick could pick the next great Patriots QB before he heads off.


There is also zero evidence to support the idea of Garoppolo being a crunch time serial killer like Brady is, which is really the #1 thing that makes him the GOAT.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,256
And1: 5,089
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1519 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 pm

Damn, my initial comment is mean to be taken as: they are two years away minimum from having a QB, which they've drafted and developed, who can be as good as 44 year old Tom Brady. Not that it's likely or that it will happen.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 25,131
And1: 24,226
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#1520 » by Parliament10 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:59 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Spoiler:
31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
In the macro, several other posters were worrywarting at 1-2 and talking about how we had fallen off and were screwed. I chimed in to say that we were still as good as anyone. Verdict on that, no matter what happens next = 100% correct, obviously.

In the micro, of the points I made to support that macro that you parsed down...

Claim of top 5 O-line, when healthy = 100% correct, obviously. They didn't even get near Brady yesterday.

Claim of most talent at RB than we have had since forever ago = 100% correct, obviously.

Claim that WR was probably deepest position on team in training camp = Feel free to make a claim otherwise, but I wouldn't.

Claim of elite special teams = 100% correct, obviously. Been true for years and years.

Claim of top 5 secondary = Also 100% correct.

Gilmore is one of the best CBs in the game, and we have an elite crew at Safety. You hanging on to that perceived weakness at 2nd and 3rd CB like a life raft, but it isn't there. JC Jackson, Gilmore, both McCourtys, Chung, Harmon, and even Jonathan Jones all ranked very high by PFF this year.

Jesus, man. Not even looking for a pound of flesh, but stop being stubborn. I absolutely ran the **** table on you. Irrefutably, and on every single point discussed. It really doesn't get more lopsided that that. It would be like an opposing team saying they had the GOAT team before training camp, only have them go 1-81, before clinging on to that one win as some kind of victory.

Sad part is, it wasn't even your loss to take, until you chimed in to parse down how I claimed the Pats were still elite to some guys who were bashing the team.

Stop being stubborn and enjoy the greatness of this Patriots team! Still elite! Still making Super Bowls!


Totally enjoying this run. Trying to give you credit where it's due if you can notice it, rather than just disappearing. Still would argue some minor points (Blount did a lot for us within the last five years for example; that wide receiver depth in training camp was garbage depth; hopefully the CBs not named Gilmore play better than those spots did last February) and the overall point that if some things are arguable then everything's *not actually* 'obvious' -- never was looking for victory, just to make that point. Never wanted the team to underperform (though their RS was crap by their standards) and totally enjoying the juggernaut that's rolling towards Atlanta. As I just said, we're basically seeing the Russell and Red dynasty again. HOLY CRAP is that awesome -- I'm not old enough to have been around then -- always wondered what it was like. Well: like this.


Image

Props for stepping up. But it didn't have to be this way!

We have Belichick and Brady, and that's more than anyone else has ever had or ever will have!

Facts!

Love this.
Though, the Patriots will have actually been in the Super Bowl 11 times (counting this year).
This will be Brady's 9th time.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart

Return to Boston Celtics