ImageImageImage

General Boston Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Re: General Boston Sports Thread 

Post#481 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:47 am

SPORTS NIGHT IN NEW ENGLAND LET'S GOO!

specifically: time for Betts and Martinez to get **** going in this series -- let's put something on the board this inning and relax our buttholes a bit!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM

Post#482 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 am

Betts 90 feet from home with one out, JD at bat GET HIM HOME

and.. he **** whiffs (and Mookie scores anyway lol let's goooo)
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#483 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 am

LETS **** GO
YOU LOSE
31to6
RealGM

Post#484 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 am

let's get two in Houston and finish this out back at Fenway.

Pats LET'S GOOO!
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#485 » by truth18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 am

Huge catches from Hogan. I've said some bad **** about him this year but that was clutch.
YOU LOSE
31to6
RealGM

Post#486 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 am

Brady with an epic old man TD run. Watch out, Sony Michel! Now leetttt's gooooo defense
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#487 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 am

Red Sox took care of business.

COME ON PATS DEFENSE BRADY WITH THE GOAT TOUCHDOWN
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,391

Post#488 » by K For Three » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 am

I fell asleep for two hours, wake up and turn on the tv and see the Chiefs just there get that easy quick TD.

I should have maybe stayed sleeping?
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#489 » by K For Three » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 am

Patrick Mahomes=NFL Steph Curry

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#490 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 am

Sports were good tonight :)
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#491 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 am

Lot of takes in this thread not aging well lol.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#492 » by K For Three » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:22 am

Read on Twitter

31to6
RealGM

Post#493 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Lot of takes in this thread not aging well lol.

like our secondary being top 5?
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#494 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 pm

31to6 wrote:

Way to cherrypick. You also questioned me saying that:

"Special teams elite, as always.

...top 5 o-line, better RB talent than we have had in forever, WR corps was like the deepest position on the team until like a minute ago."

Boooooooooo!

And yes, they DO have a top 5 secondary. Just no pass rush (tied for last in sacks).
31to6
RealGM

Post#495 » by 31to6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:

...top 5 o-line, better RB talent than we have had in forever, WR corps was like the deepest position on the team until like a minute ago."

Boooooooooo!

And yes, they DO have a top 5 secondary. Just no pass rush (tied for last in sacks).

special teams gave up a 97 yard return last night, and we're giving up 269 yards a game passing ranking 22nd in the league (top 5 are 215 or less http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/position/defense).

pumped about the o-line's improvement (are we top 5 yet, though?) and Michel's been great -- still like and respect what Blunt and Lewis did for us though. WR got deep once we signed Gordon and Edelman came back obviously. I don't know, is this cherry picking or could you have just left it at 'whatever talent we've got we'll probably get the most out of it'? That I don't think anyone would ever argue with.

Pumped that Hightower seems to have his mojo back and I'd like to thank that guy for spontaneously letting go of Tom Brady. Good choice.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#496 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:35 pm

Our defense stinks, we cant sugar coat it. We hung our hat on best scoring defense when we sucked at all other categories last couple years but now we flat out stink in that regard too almost halfway through the season. Red zone defense has got to improve or we'll have to count on Brady producing 40+ pts a game to beat teams.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#497 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 pm

31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Boooooooooo!

special teams gave up a 97 yard return last night, and we're giving up 269 yards a game passing ranking 22nd in the league (top 5 are 215 or less http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/position/defense).

pumped about the o-line's improvement (are we top 5 yet, though?) and Michel's been great -- still like and respect what Blunt and Lewis did for us though. WR got deep once we signed Gordon and Edelman came back obviously. I don't know, is this cherry picking or could you have just left it at 'whatever talent we've got we'll probably get the most out of it'? That I don't think anyone would ever argue with.

Pumped that Hightower seems to have his mojo back and I'd like to thank that guy for spontaneously letting go of Tom Brady. Good choice.

Not worried about any of that. Never mind that teams have to go pass-happy to try to beat Brady, we aren't even designed to prevent yardage defensively. And again, much of those passing stats are the result of having a poor pass rush (and also slow LBs who get crossed outside of the red zone).

More to the point, not taking any I told you so's on the Pats or Sox, I'm giving them. Because I did.

Since people started freaking out, the Sox rolled the Yankees in 4 and are now hanging tough with a great Astros team. And the Pats are now 3-0 since then and averaging FORTY points in those games.

Don't worry about us, worry about the teams that have to play us. While flawed and not totally dominant, those teams are probably the best in their respective sports right now.
31to6
RealGM

Post#498 » by 31to6 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Boooooooooo!

Not worried about any of that. Never mind that teams have to go pass-happy to try to beat Brady, we aren't even designed to prevent yardage defensively. And again, much of those passing stats are the result of having a poor pass rush (and also slow LBs who get crossed outside of the red zone).

More to the point, not taking any I told you so's on the Pats or Sox, I'm giving them. Because I did.

Since people started freaking out, the Sox rolled the Yankees in 4 and are now hanging tough with a great Astros team. And the Pats are now 3-0 since then and averaging FORTY points in those games.

Don't worry about us, worry about the teams that have to play us. While flawed and not totally dominant, those teams are probably the best in their respective sports right now.

Your overall premise is spot-on, you just like to add overstatements in support. It'd be cool, for example, if we could prevent yardage defensively. If we really had a top-5 secondary, we'd be better at that. We just lost a Super Bowl because we couldn't get a stop, and now that Patricia's gone we can't blame the coach but have to look at the talent. Not just upfield (where it's not the glory days), but in the secondary as well. It's average at best if we're being generous. We've had much better and we've had much worse over the past 17 years.

So yeah, go Sox and go Pats. Not sure you're better than the Astros and Rams, but getting a chance to prove it is what sports is all about!
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#499 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm

31to6 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Your overall premise is spot-on, you just like to add overstatements in support. It'd be cool, for example, if we could prevent yardage defensively. If we really had a top-5 secondary, we'd be better at that. We just lost a Super Bowl because we couldn't get a stop, and now that Patricia's gone we can't blame the coach but have to look at the talent. Not just upfield (where it's not the glory days), but in the secondary as well. It's average at best if we're being generous. We've had much better and we've had much worse over the past 17 years.

So yeah, go Sox and go Pats. Not sure you're better than the Astros and Rams, but getting a chance to prove it is what sports is all about!

All good. Wasn’t even thinking of you when I posted about it, but since you are here, I would just frame it differently.

You are talking about the Super Bowl performance in a negative light, but how many teams didn’t even make the Super Bowl last year? Our defense and secondary did well enough to get us there, which is more than you can say for the Rams. Shows how high the standards are for Boston teams to frame it like losing in the Super Bowl or to a great Astros team are somehow a sign of weakness.

Speaking of the Rams, they were one of the teams who had a better secondary until Talib got hurt. But who are the 5+ teams who have it better than DMcCourty/Gilmore/Chung/Harmon?

Should be easy to name them if what I am saying is so off-base.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#500 » by 3D Chess » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Jets going Super Bowl.

Return to Boston Celtics