ImageImageImage

Celtics 2019-20, How much of Roster do we keep together? (Updated: 04-15-19)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who do we Retain going into the 2019-20 Season?

Most of Core Players = Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Smart
27%
Most of Major Rotation = Rozier, Brown, Morris, Baynes
3%
Ojeleye
12%
Theis
6%
Williams
17%
Yabusele
2%
Wanamaker
7%
Current Two Ways / J. Gibson
2%
Most of Draft Picks
9%
Trade/Other
16%

Total votes: 101

Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Re: Celtics 2019-20, How much of Roster do we keep together? (Updated: 12-03-18) 

Post#61 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:58 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Thinking about Ojeleye a little more. I originally voted him as a keeper but now that it looks likely that all 4 first round picks will convey, Along with him not really making any improvement from last year. I think we shouldn’t pick up his option next year. It’s a shame I kind of like him but we need the roster spot.

I actually think Ojeleye has improved significantly.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Re: Celtics 2019-20, How much of Roster do we keep together? (Updated: 12-03-18) 

Post#62 » by Parliament10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Thinking about Ojeleye a little more. I originally voted him as a keeper but now that it looks likely that all 4 first round picks will convey, Along with him not really making any improvement from last year. I think we shouldn’t pick up his option next year. It’s a shame I kind of like him but we need the roster spot.

Yeah. That's gonna be a Decision, there.
We can keep 20 Players in the offseason. I expect Ojeleye to be in the running.

Theis, Morris, Yabu, Rozier, Wanamaker, Bird. Lots of turnover coming at the bottom of the roster. They need those picks IMO

Theis, is dirt cheap. -- Unless he gets a bigger payday.
Morris and Rozier, I believe will stick, as well.

I feel that this team will keep at least 11 players, from this season.
Particularly, if we win the Title.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Valid
RealGM

Post#63 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Yeah. That's gonna be a Decision, there.

Theis, Morris, Yabu, Rozier, Wanamaker, Bird. Lots of turnover coming at the bottom of the roster. They need those picks IMO

If Theis keeps playing at this rate, someone might throw some decent money at him this summer. The good news is that we can match any offer, but something like 3/30 from someone would not surprise me in the slightest.

Morris I'm almost positive is a goner, unfortunately. He is playing himself into a big contract.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,389

Post#64 » by Homerclease » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

I think Theis, Morris and Rozier all walk TBH. They are all gonna get significant contract offers on the open market
Valid
RealGM

Post#65 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Theis, Morris, Yabu, Rozier, Wanamaker, Bird. Lots of turnover coming at the bottom of the roster. They need those picks IMO

I think Theis, Morris and Rozier all walk TBH. They are all gonna get significant contract offers on the open market

We might be able to keep one of the three (namely one of Theis or Rozier because we can match), but yeah; they are going to get paid.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#66 » by Parliament10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Valid wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Theis, Morris, Yabu, Rozier, Wanamaker, Bird. Lots of turnover coming at the bottom of the roster. They need those picks IMO

If Theis keeps playing at this rate, someone might throw some decent money at him this summer. The good news is that we can match any offer, but something like 3/30 from someone would not surprise me in the slightest.

Morris I'm almost positive is a goner, unfortunately. He is playing himself into a big contract.

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

I feel what both of you are saying.
BUT, I think that the Prospect of Winning Titles, is going to play a big part in the Decision Making, on both sides.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,389

Post#67 » by Homerclease » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Valid wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Theis, is dirt cheap. -- Unless he gets a bigger payday.

Homerclease wrote:

BUT, I think that the Prospect of Winning Titles, is going to play a big part in the Decision Making, on both sides.

I think timelord makes Theis expendable, Morris is unrestricted and having a career year. Rozier is the most likely to stick. Bird and Wanamaker are toast. They have room for 4 picks without jettisoning Semi
Valid
RealGM

Post#68 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Valid wrote:

Homerclease wrote:

For sure, but Morris in particular strikes me as the kind of guy who is going to look for dollars, and I can't blame him. Put it this way: someone will likely offer him $15 million a year, whereas the most we will probably be willing to offer him is around $10 million. That's a big difference.

In Rozier's case, I really think he might give some consideration to a discount because of how much he loves it here, but I think there will be someone out there (Orlando? Phoenix?) that offers him 4/60. If that happens, he's almost surely gone.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#69 » by Parliament10 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Valid wrote:If Theis keeps playing at this rate, someone might throw some decent money at him this summer. The good news is that we can match any offer, but something like 3/30 from someone would not surprise me in the slightest.

Homerclease wrote:I think Theis, Morris and Rozier all walk TBH. They are all gonna get significant contract offers on the open market

I think timelord makes Theis expendable, Morris is unrestricted and having a career year. Rozier is the most likely to stick. Bird and Wanamaker are toast. They have room for 4 picks without jettisoning Semi

I think Yabusele is gone, too.
You may be right about Theis. Though, Theis does have that 3pt shot.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Valid
RealGM

Post#70 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Valid wrote:If Theis keeps playing at this rate, someone might throw some decent money at him this summer. The good news is that we can match any offer, but something like 3/30 from someone would not surprise me in the slightest.

Homerclease wrote:I think Theis, Morris and Rozier all walk TBH. They are all gonna get significant contract offers on the open market

Yeah this is exactly where I am. I love Theis, but it's entirely possible that Williams is a more impactful player than Theis as soon as next season (he already may be in some aspects). Morris is almost certainly gone, unless he loves it here so much that he decides to take a massive discount (which he won't).
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#71 » by snowman » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Of the player whose status is not in concrete for now:

Kyrie needs to be maxed out
Horford needs his option reworked to, say, 20 mill per for 3 years
Morris needs to be resigned for something around Smarts numbers 3 for 30
Baynes to pick up his option
Theis needs tobe resigned for around 3 for 18, like Baynes numbers
Rozier resigned for Smart numbers also
Pick up Semi's option

That leaves Yabu, Wanamaker, Bird. All three need to be moved and replaced. With picks (that aren't traded) and 2 ways available we shopuld be able to do that. Lots of money in contracts, But if we are in the ECF, finals, or winning it all the owners will still make a killer profit.
Valid
RealGM

Post#72 » by Valid » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:24 pm

snowman wrote:Of the player whose status is not in concrete for now:

Pick up Semi's option

That leaves Yabu, Wanamaker, Bird. All three need to be moved and replaced. With picks (that aren't traded) and 2 ways available we shopuld be able to do that. Lots of money in contracts, But if we are in the ECF, finals, or winning it all the owners will still make a killer profit.

- Kyrie will be maxed
- Horford will be interesting; I'm sure he's amenable to re-working his deal
- No way Morris signs for 3/30; he is getting 3/45 or 4/60 from someone
- Baynes will be back
- Theis will probably get a 3/30 offer from someone
- Rozier may take a discount, but I get the feeling someone like ORL or PHX offers him 4/60
- Semi will be back

Roster might end up looking very different next season.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#73 » by brackdan70 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

If we win....or make it to the finals, I agree. I could see a choice between Morris and Rozier pending who we draft
Sign here
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#74 » by djFan71 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 am

Valid wrote:

Pick up Semi's option

- Kyrie will be maxed
- Baynes will be back
- Rozier may take a discount, but I get the feeling someone like ORL or PHX offers him 4/60
- Semi will be back

I'm not sure on Morris. He'll be 30 by start of next season and holds most value on a contender. How many contenders are going to have $15M in cap space to throw at him? I haven't looked, tbh. Not saying he's back, but I think non-taxpayer MLE is probably his floor, but I don't see how he gets that much higher either. Maybe he goes the Ariza route and signs for big/short money with a **** team hoping for leadership and to "win now" and then gets traded to a contender later. I'm just not sure there's a 4/60 market out there from team that could give it to him. Maybe the Bucks? Or LAC if they make space for Kawhi and have some left over? Knicks? I dunno, I just don't think it's a given he gets those dollars. Kudos to him, if he does, though.

Rest, I agree with.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#75 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:43 am

Valid wrote:

Pick up Semi's option

- Kyrie will be maxed
- Baynes will be back
- Semi will be back

I agree on all this. Next year is a far different roster, even if they don't make any trades. But really the core of Kyrie/Horford/Hayward/Smart/Brown/Tatum is still in Boston with Semi/Williams/Yabusele. And they'll probably bring over the next Wanamaker/Theis from Europe and sign the next Baynes for the MLE or less. This is all assuming no major blockbuster trade for Davis/Zhou Qi/Mason Plumlee. It'll be different, but the core players are all there basically. Semi could be a legit rotation player next year, ditto Williams. And with potential for four first round picks, a lot is up in the air. This is the most fun roster to look at for sure. Very few great teams have this many moving pieces I think.

Baynes might not even be back. They could easily lose Morris, Baynes, Theis, Rozier, Wanamaker without any trades occurring. I could also see them bringing back Rozier, Baynes or Theis (probably not all three), but it's really dependent on how teams view those players in FA. Smart could easily have signed elsewhere if say the Pacers really viewed him as an elite player or something. Maybe some team views Theis like that after he puts up like a 5-6 Win Share season in Boston on 15 minutes a game. Wanamaker is a wildcard at this point too. He's on a one-year deal as far as I can tell and if he gets no minutes I would expect him to have few suitors and he could be back, but it takes just one team to give him a deal that prices the Celtics out of signing their third- or fourth-string PG.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#76 » by colaroaster » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 am

very possible mngt tries to add an established big i.e. kd, boogie, greek, or ?? either way they gotta find away to get better. c’s long over-due for a title

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Celtics 2019-20, How much of Roster do we keep together? (Updated: 04-15-19) 

Post#77 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:35 am

Things have changed drastically, since the Anthony Davis Trade Scenario has come into play.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#78 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:20 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Rozier could stick around the QO. Morris imo is gone. He's hinted multiple times he wants money. And it will be his last decent payday. I expect that whoever offers the most, he will go to them. Theis could be had for probably 3-4 mils a year, which is fairly decent in the current NBA for your 12th man...

I still expect us to trade. We will see what or what we gonna trade for Davis? Consolidate picks into the top 5, etc... we will see.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#79 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Rozier could stick around the QO. Morris imo is gone. He's hinted multiple times he wants money. And it will be his last decent payday. I expect that whoever offers the most, he will go to them. Theis could be had for probably 3-4 mils a year, which is fairly decent in the current NBA for your 12th man...

I still expect us to trade. We will see what or what we gonna trade for Davis? Consolidate picks into the top 5, etc... we will see.

I think Mook going will be okay, particularly if GH. JB and JT are all back. They really need to keep Al at the 4 as much as possible too. And if they do manage to somehow have AD here, with at least JT gone from that mix, AD will want to play the 4 when possible too.

And I expect a 4-2 series loss to the Bucks in the next round is the best the C's will get. The Bucks very well could go on to win it all, but at least will take the finals to 7, so some Celtics and fans will sooth themselves that they lost to the champions or the near champions. One way or another, they really need another functional traditional big. Either Williams grows up very fast or they need someone else full-sized for more center minutes.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Re: Celtics 2019-20, How much of Roster do we keep together? (Updated: 04-15-19) 

Post#80 » by Drax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Keeping Kyrie should be priority #1, #2 and #3, a lot of the other stuff depends on him.

Personally my prefered outcome for the offseason, keep Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Brown and Smart.
- Keep two of Baynes, Theis and Ojeleye.
- Sign or trade for a veteran back up point guard. A Marquis Daniels type of guard, doesn't need heavy minutes but is a reliable pro if need be.
- Roll the dize in the draft, we have a great foundation in place no matter what the next 5+ years we have Tatum/Brown/Smart.

Let Rozier, Morris walk, selfish chuckers no need for them.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford

Return to Boston Celtics