ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#141 » by bigboi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
27/16/4, 1 steal and 6 blocks. On 11-14 shooting. Crazy day.

The draft is looking pretty strong. Why were people saying it was a weak draft???

Oh i still think it's weak. I think it's very weak. But I think many including myself think it has a tremendous top 4, then falls off after that.

I know guys like Bol, Langford, Morant and others are going to get hyped up. But I don't think any of those guys would go top 10 in a solid draft.

But yes I definitely think if you end up with a top 4 pick, you should be very excited.

Bol Bol is definitely going to be top 3 if not second pick. Barrett is a ballhog to the highest level and doesn't impress me much.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#142 » by winsomme2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:05 pm

bigboi wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
The draft is looking pretty strong. Why were people saying it was a weak draft???

Oh i still think it's weak. I think it's very weak. But I think many including myself think it has a tremendous top 4, then falls off after that.

I know guys like Bol, Langford, Morant and others are going to get hyped up. But I don't think any of those guys would go top 10 in a solid draft.

But yes I definitely think if you end up with a top 4 pick, you should be very excited.

Bol Bol is definitely going to be top 3 if not second pick. Barrett is a ballhog to the highest level and doesn't impress me much.

People were really high on last years draft and now dumping on this years. I personally don't see it. I'd already take players like Langford and Grimes over Young who went 5th. Bol is certainly looking like a prospect on the level of Bamba. Does anybody even know about the French guy?

And the season has barely started. There are definitely going to be players step forward and show development that none of us knew was there.

I think this draft is solid. Now we just need Sacramento to start struggling.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#143 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:20 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

People were really high on last years draft and now dumping on this years. I personally don't see it. I'd already take players like Langford and Grimes over Young who went 5th. Bol is certainly looking like a prospect on the level of Bamba. Does anybody even know about the French guy?

And the season has barely started. There are definitely going to be players step forward and show development that none of us knew was there.

Trae Young is averaging 19 points and is #3 in the NBA in assists with a really bad team and no John Collins. Young has already showed more at the NBA level than either Langford or Grimes have at the college level so far.

I do like both Langford and Grimes though. Still way too early to tell how good this draft is but I think it will be better than people thought it would be.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#144 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
bigboi wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I think many including myself viewed last year's draft similar to this one. The top is really good but there is a significant drop off after. I think this year has higher ceiling players, but last year was 6-7 deep compared to 4.

Young is a weird case though, many didnt view him as a legit top 10 player going into the draft, but he put up historic numbers and had a very intriguing play style for today's game. There are many questions about Bol's game that Bamba's game didnt have.

There seems to be a consistent life cycle when it comes to the draft. At the start of the season in non conference play, a bunch of prospects that were considered in the 10-18 range or so have a few good games. People get pumped and think the draft is deeper than it really is. Then by late January in the middle of conference play, those prospects struggle some and people get really low on the draft. Then come combine time people bump up the depth again. This seems to happen every year.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#145 » by JHTruth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
bigboi wrote:

I think many including myself viewed last year's draft similar to this one. The top is really good but there is a significant drop off after. I think this year has higher ceiling players, but last year was 6-7 deep compared to 4.

Young is a weird case though, many didnt view him as a legit top 10 player going into the draft, but he put up historic numbers and had a very intriguing play style for today's game. There are many questions about Bol's game that Bamba's game didnt have.

There seems to be a consistent life cycle when it comes to the draft. At the start of the season in non conference play, a bunch of prospects that were considered in the 10-18 range or so have a few good games. People get pumped and think the draft is deeper than it really is. Then by late January in the middle of conference play, those prospects struggle some and people get really low on the draft. Then come combine time people bump up the depth again. This seems to happen every year.

It's sort of like QBs int he NFL. Every year is supposed to be a "weak" QB draft it seems then the combine starts happening and guys start throwing the ball 80 yds and all the teams that need a QB start saying it's actually a good draft for QBs and 4 go on the first 10 picks. Never changes..
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#146 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:

It's sort of like QBs int he NFL. Every year is supposed to be a "weak" QB draft it seems then the combine starts happening and guys start throwing the ball 80 yds and all the teams that need a QB start saying it's actually a good draft for QBs and 4 go on the first 10 picks. Never changes..

The 2016 draft is kind of the perfect example of this. It was supposed to be a 3 person draft between Simmons, Skal and Ingram. During the season Simmons separated himself and Skal played horrible so he fell. At the start of the season a lot of people were high on the draft, then by the middle of the season it was viewed as a horrible draft (which it was). But come the combine, Dunn was being talked about as the next Wade, Hield was Curry but bigger, Bender was better than Porzingis and so on. Drafts tend to get talked up at the start of the season and at the combine.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#147 » by winsomme2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The 2016 draft is kind of the perfect example of this. It was supposed to be a 3 person draft between Simmons, Skal and Ingram. During the season Simmons separated himself and Skal played horrible so he fell. At the start of the season a lot of people were high on the draft, then by the middle of the season it was viewed as a horrible draft (which it was). But come the combine, Dunn was being talked about as the next Wade, Hield was Curry but bigger, Bender was better than Porzingis and so on. Drafts tend to get talked up at the start of the season and at the combine.

The natural ebb and flow of draft hype doesn't necessarily reveal anything about how deep draft turns out to be.

Many are high on other prospects in addition to your top 4, and I believe the season will show evidence that they are deserving of being considered top tier talent.

I agree that the current top 4 are the most sought after, but I think as the class takes shape we'll see another 5 that have all star potential. And that to me constitutes a solid draft.

Personally, I think many are down on this draft because of the lack of big men prospects. Thats a mistake imo. These wings are good.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#148 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Fischella wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Little is probably not gonna start all season, Roy has done this with top recruits before when he has productive Seniors, and he isn't going to start only one big, happened to Marvin Williams, Ed Davis, John Henson and JMMcAdoo, not a surprise, he will still get 25minpg from the bench

I mean outside of Maye they have a pretty weak returning class, and they're staring a freshman in Colby White. I don't think any of those guys have the pedigree of Little, Jackson and Barnes are the only freshman I can remember that were top ten recruits like Little and both started for Williams. I'm just not going to get very hyped up seeing them play top teams if Little is playing twenty minutes and getting five shots, I doubt the win many games vs ranked opponents that way either.

Marvin Williams was 7th by RSCI, Davis 9th, Henson 5th and McAdoo 6th, Little is 4th, very comparable all in all, all of those guys are front-court players, comparing Nas to Coby makes no sense, UNC has a weak backcourt and White was always going to start (what is the other option? fellow frosh Leaky Black? Woods? come on now), but Little is fighting for minutes with Cam Johnson who is a 5th year Senior and almost the de-facto PG of the team in half-court sets at times, and Maye who is a top5-10 player in college ball, obviously Roy could go small from the get-go with Maye at Center and sit Brooks, but it ain't surprising considering his history and what he likes to do (dominate the boards, pound people inside, run the floor) that he has opted to bring Little from the bench as a scoring reference instead

I'm not too familiar with UNC, I get the ACC channel and the SEC network(went to Auburn), so a handful of names I'm not familiar with. I can only go off of what I recently watched. I just think you should start the most talented players, and outside of Maye I don't see anyone who could impact the game more than Little, he looked like the most talented player on the court vs Elon. I brought up Colby because and some of those previous names because they are freshman who started, so obviously Williams will start freshman. I mean Henson went on to start a dozen games as a freshman(not sure if it was because of a injury) but even befor they had a some noticeable nba talent was understandable. To my knowledge they've started three guards both games and Kenny Williams(name correct?) looks horrible, there should be no reason Little shouldn't start, he can guard multiple positions and the game is almost positionless at this time.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#149 » by Patsfan1081 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:06 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
bigboi wrote:

Was it even that deep? Befor the college season started I don't think people had Jackson up in that high teir but Porter def was. It seemed like Ayton, Porter, Doncic, and Bamba were the names being talked about then Bagley reclassified late in the summer I believe. Then you have guys like Jackson, Young, and SGA that shot up draft boards as the season went on. I honestly think this class is even more raw then last year so yeah you could see some guys have a few shoot up that won't substain their play , but more will than last year. There seem to be more guys reclassify or entering the draft earlier also. The days of labeling a draft good or bad befor the college season starts should be over.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#150 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:51 am

CelticsPride18 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Roddy wrote:This Zion kid is special for sure...wow

27/16/4, 1 steal and 6 blocks. On 11-14 shooting. Crazy day.

seems like draft publications have taken that stance for a couple of years now and people that follow them just go along with what they say. And those sites will stick stubbornly to their takes until they're forced to re-examine and admit they were wrong. I feel it's been pretty obvious all along that it will be as strong as the past two draft classes.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#151 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

any draft class that includes Simmons, Ingram, Brown, Dunn, Jamal Murray, Sabonis, Prince, Hield, Siakam, Dejounte Murray, and Brogdon is a very solid draft. That's 11 above average starters. And then you have a slew of solid role players on top of that. This narrative that 2016 was a weak draft class is really played out and completely false. It's as strong as the previous 3 draft classes before it. Not excellent but definitely not horrible
Mack Lundquist
Freshman
And1: 62

Post#152 » by Mack Lundquist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm

We are already seeing some freshmen coem out of nowhere like Trae Young last year and make themselves look like first rounders, and possible lottery picks. Jalen Smith of Maryland. Bassey of Western Kentucky, Hayes of Texas. Moses Brown of UCLA. Simi S&6ttu of Vanderbilt. This is a good draft to have multiple first rounders.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#153 » by big-shot-ROB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Mack Lundquist wrote:We are already seeing some freshmen coem out of nowhere like Trae Young last year and make themselves look like first rounders, and possible lottery picks. Jalen Smith of Maryland. Bassey of Western Kentucky, Hayes of Texas. Moses Brown of UCLA. Simi S&6ttu of Vanderbilt. This is a good draft to have multiple first rounders.

If Jalen Smith and Simi are considered lottery picks, then this draft is poor. They are very "fringy" NBA players.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#154 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Mack Lundquist wrote:We are already seeing some freshmen coem out of nowhere like Trae Young last year and make themselves look like first rounders, and possible lottery picks. Jalen Smith of Maryland. Bassey of Western Kentucky, Hayes of Texas. Moses Brown of UCLA. Simi S&6ttu of Vanderbilt. This is a good draft to have multiple first rounders.

The thing with this though, is who have these guys played? For example Jaylen Smith has played Delaware, Navy and NC A&T. Moses Brown has played Purdue-Fort-Wayne and Long Beach State. You bring up Trae Young and he is a good example of this.

Trae Young (early non conference)
29/3/10 on 48/41/86 shooting (18 fga and 4 TOs)

Trae Young (from start of conference play)
27/4/8 on 39/33/86 shooting (20 fa and 6 TOs)

This is the thing with conference play, the odds are a prospect is going to be on a team that ends up playing 2 maybe 3 legit opponents and 7-8 really crappy teams that are barely D1. Most of these guys are going to look pretty good right now.
thelarrybirdx
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#155 » by thelarrybirdx » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:24 pm

There are players in every draft that are overlooked but fit well in the right systems. I'm a firm believer that a good team can always scout good talent in any draft class. Look at teams like Utah and Toronto. They always get solid players that fit perfectly into their system with late draft picks.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#156 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Mack Lundquist wrote:We are already seeing some freshmen come out of nowhere like Trae Young last year and make themselves look like first rounders, and possible lottery picks. Jalen Smith of Maryland. Bassey of Western Kentucky, Hayes of Texas. Moses Brown of UCLA. Simi S&6ttu of Vanderbilt. This is a good draft to have multiple first rounders.

If Jalen Smith and Simi are considered lottery picks, then this draft is poor. They are very "fringy" NBA players.

I think he said first round picks, and in general for the entire list possible lottery picks, which seems like a fair assessment. I haven't seen Jalen Smith play yet--and even if I did I do not have any illusions that I am any great talent sleuth-- but the reports I have seen suggest other observers besides you do not regard his possible selection in the lottery as farfetched. We shall see.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#157 » by Homerclease » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Naz Reid is someone everyone should be keeping an eye on. He’s the best big man in the class unless your considering Zion a big that is. Horford like in his ability to do just about everything. Can shoot the 3, score on the block, defend and is a very slick passer. You will never confuse him with Robert Williams in terms of athleticism but he has more than enough to be successful at the next level. Personally I have him 5th in the entire class behind the Duke big 3 and Nassir Little
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#158 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:09 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:

:-? How can you tell they're fringe nba talents a couple games into their college career? Both were considered pretty raw athletic players, Smith especially because he still needs to fill out. They've both had some good games to start also, Shittu is 16/13.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#159 » by Homerclease » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:21 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#160 » by akhan786 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:32 am