ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#1461 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:Bol already looks like he has a better handle than Jaylen... Bol, could be another unicorn or the latest in a long line of failed twiggy Big Men. Still the shot's there and that's half the battle.

The shot does appear to be there for a young player based upon his college free throw rate and even his 3 point shooting with a small sample.

I wonder where Bol Bol will be drafted. NBAdraft.net may be wildly off but they have him at 25 right now. Unless his health looks much worse then Embiid going forward, it seems illogical for him not to be drafted in the lottery in a draft like this.

You miss on him at 10-12 and its not that bad... Minimum financial commitment. But the guy does appear to have a lot of upside.

He was ranked highly coming out of high school from what I can gather and then did great in college before getting hurt.

Admittedly, he played more college games his freshman year but Embiid still got hurt. And it just dropped his draft stock 2 places.

The other thing is with how NBA is trending, I would tell Silver to fly a kite. Bol Bol is only playing 45-50 games a season and limited minutes to try to keep him healthy for playoffs.

I realize he has to gain weight or he may be muscled in the NBA but with how the NBA is trending, there is probably a 4 or 5 you can play him against.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#1462 » by Wes-J » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:37 pm

Think he's a top 5 talent easy. Hard to gauge his value with his health and I'm not about to speculate on it one way or another.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,485

Post#1463 » by Kalela » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 am

Bol Bol's game is somewhat similar to Kevin Durant. If dude is available at 14 - I doubt he will be - then you take a chance on him. He could end up the 2nd best player in the draft after Zion. He is an intelligent and confident kid too.
Fire Mazzulla
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1464 » by greenroom31 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:17 am

Kalela wrote:Bol Bol's game is somewhat similar to Kevin Durant. If dude is available at 14 - I doubt he will be - then you take a chance on him. He could end up the 2nd best player in the draft after Zion. He is an intelligent and confident kid too.

Yes... sure... ok...

Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,485

Post#1465 » by Kalela » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 am

greenroom31 wrote:
Kalela wrote:Bol Bol's game is somewhat similar to Kevin Durant. If dude is available at 14 - I doubt he will be - then you take a chance on him. He could end up the 2nd best player in the draft after Zion. He is an intelligent and confident kid too.

Yes... sure... ok...

Similar may not have been the right word. I am still not saying they play the same way. Anyhow, how about his game bears a resemblance to that of KD?
Fire Mazzulla
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1466 » by return2glory » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 am

Watching Van Fleet is even more reason why I want Boston to draft Carsen Edwards.

Who cares if they aren’t tall. Both are good players who make big shots in big games.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,816

Post#1467 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:31 am

return2glory wrote:Watching Van Fleet is even more reason why I want Boston to draft Carsen Edwards.

How cares if they aren’t tall. Both are good players to make big shots in big games.

Definitely agree here. Real big on Edwards. He just makes too much sense based on what we know about Brad and his system to not fit in here well.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#1468 » by threrf23 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:37 am

I'm not outright down on Edwards or anything, but IT IMO is prob the better comp for Edwards, despite the height difference. The guy hits big shots, but he's not the efficient, high IQ, glue guy/leader than VanVleet was at Wichita State.

Edwards attempted more than ten 3s per game last season, and also had a negative A/TO ratio. VanVleet was a good shooter at Wichita State, but he took three threes per game while posting a nearly 4-1 A/TO ratio as the leader of some dominant teams.
nickgammon
Pro Prospect
And1: 873

Post#1469 » by nickgammon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:49 am

I feel good about Sekou Doumbouya and Ty Jerome
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1470 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:50 am

threrf23 wrote:I'm not outright down on Edwards or anything, but IT IMO is prob the better comp for Edwards, despite the height difference. The guy hits big shots, but he's not the efficient, high IQ, glue guy/leader than VanVleet was at Wichita State.

Edwards attempted more than ten 3s per game last season, and also had a negative A/TO ratio. VanVleet was a good shooter at Wichita State, but he took three threes per game while posting a nearly 4-1 A/TO ratio as the leader of some dominant teams.

I agree with the IT comparison. Especially when considering that Purdue likely asked him to take most all of the shots because they knew it was their best chance to compete. During IT's MVP run, nobody else on this team wanted to take a shot. I don't know that he'll ever be a great passer but Stevens has a knack for some reason of taking scoring guards, dropping them into our system and just extracting the best out of them. Whether it's Kyrie, Rozier, IT, or even Steez, our system LOVES shotmakers at the Guard spot.

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#1471 » by threrf23 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:54 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
I agree with the IT comparison. Especially when considering that Purdue likely asked him to take most all of the shots because they knew it was their best chance to compete. During IT's MVP run, nobody else on this team wanted to take a shot. I don't know that he'll ever be a great passer but Stevens has a knack for some reason of taking scoring guards, dropping them into our system and just extracting the best out of them. Whether it's Kyrie, Rozier, IT, or even Steez, our system LOVES shotmakers at the Guard spot.

I agree with that, I think we could probably start Edwards next season and quickly turn him into an asset.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1472 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 am

threrf23 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I agree with that, I think we could probably start Edwards next season and quickly turn him into an asset.

It'll definitely Rozier starting next year but these 2 are very similar players. Even if he comes off the bench, he could easily assume Terry's old role.

DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#1473 » by DoubleHappiness » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:35 am

FVV was one of the best pure college pgs I have ever seen. He was mainly the distributor for those gnarly good Shox teams. Edwards has a much different game for sure. Like/d them both though Carsen has bigger defensive limitations.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1474 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:06 am

I'm now of the belief that we're only keeping maybe 1 pick from this draft. Trades are gonna happen and and we're gonna move 2. So my first choice now I think is THT @20. But I'd also consider Ty Jerome and NAW

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1475 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:06 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:I'm now of the belief that we're only keeping maybe 1 pick from this draft. Trades are gonna happen and and we're gonna move 2. So my first choice now I think is THT @20. But I'd also consider Ty Jerome and NAW

We haven't worked out many prospects at all that are in the 14 range, which I find peculiar.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1476 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:18 pm

About Bol and Edwards, this seems like a draft where teams might be tempted to take high skill players over athletic foundations.. Bol does project to be a great shooter, everything else aside - and Grant Williams, Alexander-Walker, PJ Washington, Herro, Ty Jerome all look like decent bets to outplay their physical “gifts”..

The risk with those picks is that you end up being able to tell pretty quickly if a player is a bust - more athletic players can get a couple of years of development time where they retain trade value, or at least, aren’t dead weight..
Jacobkowal
Sophomore
And1: 158

Post#1477 » by Jacobkowal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:I'm now of the belief that we're only keeping maybe 1 pick from this draft. Trades are gonna happen and and we're gonna move 2. So my first choice now I think is THT @20. But I'd also consider Ty Jerome and NAW

We haven't worked out many prospects at all that are in the 14 range, which I find peculiar.

Is there a list of all the players Bostons been working out?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1478 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Best case, we could trade the 22 to Philly for the 33 and 34, and find Grant Williams and THT on the board there.. but both could go in the 14-20 range very easily..

I think it’s very likely we trade 14 for Davis, I think we take Bitadze for New Orleans (or Houston).. would love to get Rui there, but no idea his rep right now.. there was a rumor he had a promise at 11..

But we have worked out guys you could take at 14- Kabengele, Keldon Johnson..
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1479 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Best case, we could trade the 22 to Philly for the 33 and 34, and find Grant Williams and THT on the board there.. but both could go in the 14-20 range very easily..

I think it’s very likely we trade 14 for Davis, I think we take Bitadze for New Orleans (or Houston).. would love to get Rui there, but no idea his rep right now.. there was a rumor he had a promise at 11..

But we have worked out guys you could take at 14- Kabengele, Keldon Johnson..

Kab and Johnson are both more in the 20/22 range, not lottery.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1480 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Jacobkowal wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Is there a list of all the players Bostons been working out?

Not that I can find. I do know we worked out Little and Clarke, but not much else in that range from what I can see.

Return to Boston Celtics