ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#1961 » by DoubleHappiness » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:16 am

Floody100 wrote:so from someone who’s not too familiar with the draft class want to know what number you think Bol Bol will end up & what player you would compare him most to in the NBA ?

He's hard to predict because teams can fall in love with his upside and jump up pretty high to get him. I've seen him around 18 range in mocks but I don't think he makes it past 14-15.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#1962 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:18 am

You can get two players at 14, if you are smart. So, let's see if the Celtics are smart.

They need to figure out who the other teams want, for picks 15 to 19, and then take that player at 14. That could mean the other option for 14 is there at 20.

Detroit is still a small forward, or combo-forward with shooting, as their main need even with Snell.

Orlando, like Detroit, won't go center. Some sort of guard is what they might prefer.

Pacers need outside shooting players or a combo-forward, maybe a point guard.

Spurs have no real need, small forward makes most sense, but they have been looking at inside players too.

Detroit and San Antonio both brought in Bitadze. Pacers had Herro, Jerome, Claxton, Fall. Magic had Clarke, Herro, Fall, K Porter.

Hawks are more complicated in that part of the first round, as they also have earlier picks.

Very unpredictable draft, with many things that can be predicted. Did say not long ago that Snell and Leuer could be moved, but had no idea it would be for each other. Detroit now has pick 30. Bucks didn't really make lots of money disappear, Leuer is around another season so they save a few million on him compared to Snell and also move away the minor draft pick cost. Snell does have another year.

The Heat picked up, money and future pick, pick 44 from Atlanta. A minor move which could mean more, like they are going to trade away from pick 13.

Celtics are happy pushing Kevin Porter Jr and Talen Horton-Tucker through their internet things, very sad, but when they employ Jerome Allen it shows they have lost their way. Add in no-offense Matisse Thybulle and that would be the biggest disaster draft the Celtics could have in the first round. The ball hog, a criminal and a bricklayer.

Celtics are still better than the NBA. Haven't fallen to their levels yet. The NBA has Elmo at the draft?

Would draft him based on height and skills.
Would not pick him at 14 based on this picture.

Don Johnson?
Has a promise from the Heat?

For the draft feast, will try something else this time. Might have been poultry recently.

In the future, would like to book a Round Table restaurant, watch the draft on the TV there and have all-you-can-eat. They usually have the TVs on ESPN anyway, but this time there would be something useful to watch. Would invite everyone here, but hope most did not attend so there was more food to eat.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/06/18/basketball/rui-hachimura-set-find-fate-nba-draft/

Rui making basketball big in Japan. The NBA used to play games there.

Last prediction for the Celtics' draft:

Failure, huge failure.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#1963 » by threrf23 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:46 am

DoubleHappiness wrote:
robdog_5 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Carsten Edwards is a one-trick pony, and an undersized one at that.

So was VanVleet. So was Curry in college. He can shoot/score and is tough

I don't think Carsen is a one-trick pony necessarily. But Freddy Van was extremely well rounded in college. He went late because small school and he lacks physical size. Here's his DraftExpress profile should you not believe me: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Fred-VanVleet-58750/

This. The DXPress link includes things like "The key to VanVleet's effectiveness running an offense, despite not possessing exceptional size or athleticism, are his terrific ball-handling skills, coupled with his propensity for changing gears and keeping defenders off-balance" and "VanVleet was one of the best defensive point guards in college basketball" and "One of the most unique attributes of VanVleet's game is his rebounding ability for a player his height" and "He's constantly talking to by calling out plays and directing his teammates to where the action is heading."

FVV may have made some big shots in the finals, but those bits above go a long way to explain what makes him a good NBA player, and a clutch performer as well perhaps.

I wouldn't be mad at Edwards at 22, but he's the guy who gets drafted because he is athletic and put up gaudy numbers. FVV was sort of the opposite of that. There are likely going to be FVV/Monte Morris types available at 51 (and we've been working them out).

(I have no clue exactly who those guys are btw, I find the PG position especially hard to evaluate in the draft, for every FVV or Monte Morris there is a Scott Machado or Ray McCallum or Tyler Ulis)
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1964 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:08 am

Floody100 wrote:so from someone who’s not too familiar with the draft class want to know what number you think Bol Bol will end up & what player you would compare him most to in the NBA ?

He could go top 10 and he's closest imo to Porzingis. Similar height, athleticism, and skill set offensively. He might actually be a better potential perimeter defender than Porzingis which is really what matters for centers nowadays. Any worry about him getting bullied down low are overblown as there aren't but a handful of guys that will be able to do that and have coaches that feed them the ball down low. I say top 10 because I think ATL will use one of their picks on him and the other on a wing. I think NOP at #4 and CLE at #5 should consider him as well. Maybe that's because I really am low on both Hunter and Culver and they happen to be mocked at those spots and shouldn't be. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell to the mid teens though because there are injury and personality concerns and there's a lottery of good, maybe safer alternatives to choose from so teams might shy away from him.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,234

Post#1965 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:13 am

Who are these guys? Any future MVPs about to join the Cs?

Read on Twitter
threrf23
RealGM

Post#1966 » by threrf23 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Who are these guys? Any future MVPs about to join the Cs?

Lecque will win the dunk contest next season as long as he is eligible. Bazley is a 6'10 wing with upside who is under the radar since he skipped college (but he is said to be raw and he de-committed from both Ohio State and Syracuse and I watched an interview that didn't impress me as he just talked about cookie cutter **** like playing positional - eta positionless - basketball). Others are PGs. On paper Clemons made me think back to Marcus Thornton. Jordan Bone is a "freak athlete" and set a school record at Tennessee for A/TO ratio. Waters is a purportedly smart 5'11 guy who has put up good numbers for LSU the past two seasons.

ETA - Harper was basically the leader of a highly likeable Auburn team. He's a stud and a team first guy, but 5'11 and I'm not sure where his PG skills are and I don't think he's a formidable scorer like IT.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1967 » by return2glory » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 am

I just hope Danny is getting better help from his scouting staff this type around.

Kind of over him getting undersized PF’s and athletic combo guards that can’t shoot and have a bad understanding of the game. And no draft and stash.

Let’s get some impact players from day 1. Let’s find a guy like Van Fleet or Siakam or one Euro what is actually a real good player.
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#1968 » by LondonCeltics » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:41 am

I wouldn't complain if we picked Tyler Herro. Looks to have a great shot, hits contested threes, great floater/runner and can finish at the rim.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#1969 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:47 am

Read on Twitter

Legit no idea who 2 or 3 of these guys are...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#1970 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:50 am

Draft day! Let's see what transpires.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,967

Post#1971 » by Jakeopp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:29 am

return2glory wrote:I just hope Danny is getting better help from his scouting staff this type around.

Kind of over him getting undersized PF’s and athletic combo guards that can’t shoot and have a bad understanding of the game. And no draft and stash.

Let’s get some impact players from day 1. Let’s find a guy like Van Fleet or Siakam or one Euro what is actually a real good player.

Not going to get my hopes up very much. Mostly expecting to draft the next Fab Melo and James Young. Ainge has been pretty trash at drafting outside the early lottery.
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,967

Post#1972 » by Jakeopp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:39 am

LondonCeltics wrote:I wouldn't complain if we picked Tyler Herro. Looks to have a great shot, hits contested threes, great floater/runner and can finish at the rim.

Maybe in college. Not going to be finishing much at the rim in the NBA with his height/frame/athleticism/handle and T-Rex arms.

Can't help but feel his ceiling is a 6th man. Like a JJ Redick sort of player. Gets buckets on offense and kinda useless on D. If we still had Kyrie/Horford I'd be onboard with drafting role players, but we need stars.
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#1973 » by LondonCeltics » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am

Jakeopp wrote:
LondonCeltics wrote:I wouldn't complain if we picked Tyler Herro. Looks to have a great shot, hits contested threes, great floater/runner and can finish at the rim.

Maybe in college. Not going to be finishing much at the rim in the NBA with his height/frame/athleticism/handle and T-Rex arms.

Can't help but feel his ceiling is a 6th man. Like a JJ Redick sort of player. Gets buckets on offense and kinda useless on D. If we still had Kyrie/Horford I'd be onboard with drafting role players, but we need stars.

We're not going to get a star though are we, unless we trade for NO's pick and even then you can't get too excited.

If Horford's gone I wouldn't be surprised if they go for Goga Bitadze and hope he can develop into a decent stretch big.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1974 » by Roddy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:21 am

I have a bad feeling about this draft...dont do anything stupid Danny.
Krkrich
Senior
And1: 419

Post#1975 » by Krkrich » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 am

I'm not convinced on Bol Bol. I just feel like he will be a bust. He needs to beef up and get bigger and idk if his body type can handle that. Yeah he can shoot and spread the floor, but he will get bullied in the post, plus I predict an injury riddled career because of his height.His body will break down.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#1976 » by JR Hawks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 am

threrf23 wrote:

Lecque will win the dunk contest next season as long as he is eligible. Bazley is a 6'10 wing with upside who is under the radar since he skipped college (but he is said to be raw and he de-committed from both Ohio State and Syracuse and I watched an interview that didn't impress me as he just talked about cookie cutter **** like playing positional - eta positionless - basketball). Others are PGs. On paper Clemons made me think back to Marcus Thornton. Jordan Bone is a "freak athlete" and set a school record at Tennessee for A/TO ratio. Waters is a purportedly smart 5'11 guy who has put up good numbers for LSU the past two seasons.

ETA - Harper was basically the leader of a highly likeable Auburn team. He's a stud and a team first guy, but 5'11 and I'm not sure where his PG skills are and I don't think he's a formidable scorer like IT.

Lecque and Bazley look like surprise picks at 20/22 with potential stash agreements or early second round picks if we traded back with Philly.
threrf23
RealGM

Post#1977 » by threrf23 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:44 am

JR Hawks wrote:
Lecque and Bazley look like surprise picks at 20/22 with potential stash agreements or early second round picks if we traded back with Philly.

Well, I hope not. Although Lecque is at least a kind of exciting offensive player, and his floor is a garbage time entertainer, which is better than nothing.

It's also worth remembering that Danny likes to team rookies with former teammates. Working out Jordan Bone might signal interest in Grant Williams, Jared Harper could mean Okeke, Waters could mean Naz Reid (unfortunately).
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#1978 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 am

As preparation for the draft, The Stepien has posted between yesterday and today full articles on most 1st round prospects:

https://www.thestepien.com/
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#1979 » by big-shot-ROB » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:14 am

Also, Rubin made a board of value in this draft. Not a big board, but a ranking of values of actions in draft day.

Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#1980 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:20 am

Krkrich wrote:I'm not convinced on Bol Bol. I just feel like he will be a bust. He needs to beef up and get bigger and idk if his body type can handle that. Yeah he can shoot and spread the floor, but he will get bullied in the post, plus I predict an injury riddled career because of his height.His body will break down.

I have a feeling that we're going to pick him, at #14.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics