ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,609

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#261 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 8:49 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Why, this draft looks fine to me. There are always quality players at 16, you just have to draft them.

This doesn't have the strongest lotto. Plus I don't think you guys can afford to pay 4 1st round picks. The value just doesn't make sense for you guys. You don't need 3-4 more guys that might make it as rotation players. You guys already have a stacked rotation (probably have 1-2 too many guys to begin with). You guys need another impact player. So that's why I assume those picks and a player will be used to try and trade up, or use those picks to trade for a player.

You guys loaded up in a weak draft before, the later picks got you Yabu and Zizic. I don't think Ainge wants to do that again.

Apples and oranges comparison, those two were drafted because we needed stash candidates to preserve our cap space for Kevin Durant. Not the case this time. Also, I think this draft gets crapped on far too much. I think it’s mucb better than a lot of people are leading on

10-20, who do you feel to be really good value guys for that range? Usually in a good draft there are a couple guys in that range a lot of people could see the potential. Im just not seeing it with this draft. When I look at the guys through 10-20 I see a lot of guys that will probably bust and a couple guys that might be solid starters. I dont see too many guys with a real high floor (most drafts a guy like Culver would probably go 10-20, this year probably going top 10), or a guy with untapped raw potential. For as long as I have followed the draft, this draft 2013/2016 and this year's draft are the 3 weakest drafts when it came to depth in my opinion. I will say I am strictly speaking of college depth of talent. So I cant speak on someone like Sekou or the other international prospects. So unless this is a super deep international pool, just not a fan of this class.

Definitely not a class that I would try to load up on multiple mid range 1st round picks on. For instance the 2020 draft is looking like a draft I wouldnt mind loading up on 1st round picks. I really like the talent in that draft.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,374

Post#262 » by Homerclease » Thu Jan 3, 2019 9:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
This doesn't have the strongest lotto. Plus I don't think you guys can afford to pay 4 1st round picks. The value just doesn't make sense for you guys. You don't need 3-4 more guys that might make it as rotation players. You guys already have a stacked rotation (probably have 1-2 too many guys to begin with). You guys need another impact player. So that's why I assume those picks and a player will be used to try and trade up, or use those picks to trade for a player.

You guys loaded up in a weak draft before, the later picks got you Yabu and Zizic. I don't think Ainge wants to do that again.

Apples and oranges comparison, those two were drafted because we needed stash candidates to preserve our cap space for Kevin Durant. Not the case this time. Also, I think this draft gets crapped on far too much. I think it’s mucb better than a lot of people are leading on

10-20, who do you feel to be really good value guys for that range? Usually in a good draft there are a couple guys in that range a lot of people could see the potential. Im just not seeing it with this draft. When I look at the guys through 10-20 I see a lot of guys that will probably bust and a couple guys that might be solid starters. I dont see too many guys with a real high floor (most drafts a guy like Culver would probably go 10-20, this year probably going top 10), or a guy with untapped raw potential. For as long as I have followed the draft, this draft 2013/2016 and this year's draft are the 3 weakest drafts when it came to depth in my opinion. I will say I am strictly speaking of college depth of talent. So I cant speak on someone like Sekou or the other international prospects. So unless this is a super deep international pool, just not a fan of this class.

Definitely not a class that I would try to load up on multiple mid range 1st round picks on. For instance the 2020 draft is looking like a draft I wouldnt mind loading up on 1st round picks. I really like the talent in that draft.

Depends who’s there, Garland, Sekou, Little, Reid all could be there in that range it would seem as of now
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#263 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jan 3, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't know who will fall or rise, but right now looking at mock drafts I like DeAndre Hunter, Nassir Little, Brandon Clarke a lot; Jontay Porter could be a top-2 player in this draft if he returns from his injury (unlikely given that entire family's predisposition to injury), so I'd def throw a flyer at him at 16 or so. No idea about Doumbouya, I'm not a big fan of these super raw types, because by the time they've reached their potential you've gotten nothing from their entire rookie-scale contract and now you could easily lose him to free agency. Let someone else develop him (same goes for Bol Bol). There aren't many international stashable players I see except Samanic who I like what I see from. I see him all over the place on mocks from 20-50, though. Darius Garland is intriguing too. Hachimura will be a quite good if he's on the right team. I like the idea of Dedric Lawson.

Maybe this draft is crap, but I don't really trust that anyone can determine that; scouts are always wrong about the quality of a draft. Go read about the 2014 draft. Did people think the top 3 players from that draft would be Jokic, Capela and Dwight Powell? Wiggins and Parker were supposed to be amazing. Nope, they suck. I bet if you looked at the 2019 draft prospects back in 2017 you'd be drooling over half of them too. 2020 draft is all high schoolers, how can you have a good feel for them?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#264 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 9:25 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Apples and oranges comparison, those two were drafted because we needed stash candidates to preserve our cap space for Kevin Durant. Not the case this time. Also, I think this draft gets crapped on far too much. I think it’s mucb better than a lot of people are leading on

Depends who’s there, Garland, Sekou, Little, Reid all could be there in that range it would seem as of now

I personally dont have Reid as a 1st round talent. He doesnt have the athleticism to play defense in today's NBA, he is really bad defending PnR, and he's not skilled enough offensively to make up for his defense. Garland is probably going to go top 10, same goes for Little. But say Little is there, he wouldve dropped out of the top 10 (not a strong top 10 imo) for a reason. A big part I would assume is his defense would still be really bad and his offense would still be one dynamic. You guys would be getting just a less further along Jaylen Brown when he was coming out of Cal.

Again just like any draft I think there will be some solid starters found later in the draft. This draft just seems to have less obvious candidates for that, plus doesnt have the super raw untapped potential kind of guy like a Zach Lavine or Devin Booker from the past. I just dont see this as the draft to get excited to load up on mid 1st round talent. This class has always been viewed as pretty shallow, nothing so far in the season has really changed that view in my opinion.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#265 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Jan 4, 2019 12:35 am

Bol Bol is broke broke.

non-displaced fracture of the navicular bone in left foot.

You would think he would drop. He was already risky, but now more risky, and a team with a later lotto pick and with other picks to use may be the one to take him.

Not saying he is good, he is tall, but for someone who was high in the draft he is now closer to a Boston, via silly team, pick.

Goga Bitzadze is the big you want, you have been told that for several years.

12, 14, 20 and 23.

Useful picks. Two centers, one power forward, one point guard.

Or, one shooting swingman, one 7-footer, one point guard, one power forward.

Or, two star prospects and two foreign stashes.

Or, and this is most likely, one new player for the team and a bunch of trades for the other picks.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#266 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 3:06 am

I would def roll the dice on Bol Bol. If any team is in a position to gamble with a pick or two it's us.
Show Love Spread Love
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#267 » by winsomme2 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:20 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

The mid-late lottery in this draft has a bunch of exciting prospects. Culver, Alexander-Walker, Johnson, Garland, Brazdeikis, Hunter, Dort.

I could def see this draft having a Donovan Mitchell (under the radar/big impact player) come out of it. Alexander-Walker is stepping forward. Can score at 3 levels, has handles, and great court vision. He would fit in really well in CBS system. His passing ability is probably one of his best qualities. If you can make shots or find open players in our system, you'll get a lot of playing time.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#268 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:35 pm

If we land two top 10 picks, which I think we will, I hope we somehow end up with Bol Bol and Nassir Little.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,282

Post#269 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 1:18 am

Anybody like Simi Shittu?
Sign here
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#270 » by threrf23 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 1:56 am

brackdan70 wrote:Anybody like Simi Shittu?

Whoa, you can say his name now?
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#271 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 2:12 am

threrf23 wrote:

Whoa, you can say his name now?

8-)
Sign here
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#272 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sat Jan 5, 2019 6:51 pm

Will be quite the draft if the Celtics can pick up some Bol Bol and Shittu. Jersey sales will go through the roof (well, only for Filipino Celtics fans on the former).

As for his injury, I guess we could say that Bol Bol's season *puts on shades* was cut short.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#273 » by brackdan70 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:02 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

Will be quite the draft if the Celtics can pick up some Bol Bol and Shittu. Jersey sales will go through the roof (well, only for Filipino Celtics fans on the former).

As for his injury, I guess we could say that Bol Bol's season *puts on shades* was cut short.

Foot injury always a concern for a big but he could drop into the Cs range.
Sign here
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,979

Post#274 » by Jakeopp » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:58 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:If we land two top 10 picks, which I think we will, I hope we somehow end up with Bol Bol and Nassir Little.

Bol Bol's injury issues scare me. He could be Embiid or he could be Greg Oden (different injuries but you get the idea). I guess we can afford to take that risk though.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#275 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 5, 2019 8:49 pm

Jakeopp wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:If we land two top 10 picks, which I think we will, I hope we somehow end up with Bol Bol and Nassir Little.

Bol Bol's injury issues scare me. He could be Embiid or he could be Greg Oden (different injuries but you get the idea). I guess we can afford to take that risk though.

With 4 picks, im cool with taking a high upside risk
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,930

Post#276 » by CelticsPride18 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 9:54 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Jakeopp wrote:

With 4 picks, im cool with taking a high upside risk

The Pelicans will be taking that risk.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,374

Post#277 » by Homerclease » Sun Jan 6, 2019 3:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Incredible
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#278 » by mbsnmisc » Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:13 am

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Incredible

I had my doubts about someone built like ZW being athletic enough. I might have been wrong. :oops:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#279 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:08 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Incredible

Honestly the most impressive part from that game.

25/10 on 9-11 shooting (1-3 from 3), 2 steals and 2 blocks in just 22 minutes of play. I'm his ACC debut, against a team that was I believe 30th in Kenpom (so not a push over team).

I know the highlights are crazy to look at, but what he's doing statically so far to start this season has been historic.
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#280 » by illmatic24 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm

I'd give just about anything to swing a trade up to get Zion on this team. Not that anyone will be willing to trade the #1 pick though.

Return to Boston Celtics