ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,673

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#381 » by Green89 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:41 pm

sully00 wrote:
truth18 wrote:
sully00 wrote:
I think the idea that he is a lock for the number one pick is uncertain. RJ Barrett is a better player and better fit for the league even if he doesn't make the high light reel he was also the higher prospect. You may be able to move but I could see a team like PHX targeting the Ja Morant in the draft as well. Once the season ends and NBA people can start to express how they feel about players more it becomes clearer right now your getting what former players watching games on TV are saying.

Whether it is an accurate assessment or not, Zion seems to have become one of those prospects that comes along every number of years that is considered a must pick league wide. Whether it's right or wrong, not picking Zion could potentially lose you your job as a GM in a way that the same mistake in the draft last year would not. Zion seems much more like a Lebron/Oden type of pick than a Rose type.

This is all to say that I think the Suns might draft him regardless or attempt to move the pick in the case they truly didn't want him.

No way, Williamson was the #4 prospect in this class not #1 with a bullet like Lebron and this class isn't that special. People like to watch the man dunk but that is for show. I liked Williamson before the season when everyone thought he was another Big Baby but he is still 6'7". The only tweener forward to go #1 in a while was Anthony Bennett and that didn't go so well. Going back some your looking at Larry Johnson.

Maybe NBA scouts come out and say he is this generational player but my guess is they are going to say he is going to struggle defensively in the NBA and his bully ball game will be suspect against NBA athletes. Conversely Barrett is going to look a 20 ppg ten time All Star.

He definitely looks to have that Big Baby like build, that might get out of shape of he doesn't keep up with conditioning.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#382 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm

williambh3 wrote:
sully00 wrote:
williambh3 wrote:They are totally different players but Durant is an interesting comparison statistically. He had one of the best freshman seasons ever. And per 40, Zion has more pts, rebs, asts, stls, and blks. He also has 70.5% ts% vs. Durant’s 58.7%.

It’s not just the dunks, it’s the insane athleticism + insane production.

But I am not sure it is insane athleticism, it is insane athleticism in a guy of his size and build. This is the stuff that the scouts will flesh out. While the ACC is a great basketball league it is actually great because it functions more like a mid majors than other D1 programs. They marry blue chip recruits with guys who are just below NBA talents and who end up staying 4 years. They are not trying to chase 5 top 50 freshman every year and telling them they are going to start play 30 mpg.

I like Williamson and if at the end of the process no doubts are raised about his ability at the next level that he is in fact another Larry Johnson then great. I am just not amazed at him dominating the ACC Tyler Hansborough dominated the ACC for 4 years didn't we just do this with Jahilil Okafor? How he was going to dominate offensively for a decade in the NBA?

Even with all of that said I am really only talking about him going to #2 behind his teammate who is also dominating the ACC as a Freshman. I just feel like if he was playing at a program not name Duke or UNC then the hype would be turned down a bit.

His teammate can’t even score efficiently at the college level and hasn’t had near the defensive impact. It’s not going to happen

Williamson stats are eye popping no doubt but that doesn't diminish what Barrett has done. He is the number 1 scorer in the conference while also being in the top 10 in rebounds and assists. He is in the top 10 in the conference in PER. He is the one who stays in the game when the starters sit why isn't that Williamson? He gets to the line as often as Williamson. I just see how his game is going to translate in the NBA. If Zion was 6'10" or had more of a face up game this wouldn't be a discussion. But he is 6"6". Now he might have the perimeter game and just hasn't needed it but Lebron and Durant were guards at his age.

I have watched a lot of college basketball and I am one of the all time champions of tweener PF's but I have learned that love affair turns tragic in the NBA. Maybe he is the next Larry Johnson but its been almost 30 years in between.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,420

Post#383 » by threrf23 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Green89 wrote:
He definitely looks to have that Big Baby like build, that might get out of shape of he doesn't keep up with conditioning.

This is definitely an issue - and as with Sully & Jahlil Okafor there are indications he might have trouble doing so. He put on 100 pounds in two years of high school. His quickness and athleticism sets him apart from those other guys guys but could also put more strain on his legs.

Zion is interesting because for practical if not technical purposes he may already be at his physical/athletic peak. He's like a 28 year old guy playing with a bunch of college kids right now, and at the same time he's just an 18 year old kid.

As always, it's a mistake to get caught up in size and athleticism and ignore a player's skill. Zion apparently has skills and awareness and IQ...but he doesn't seem to be special in those areas per se.

He is better than I thought he was but I still think it's a big mistake to take him over a can't really go wrong prospect like Barrett. I would personally take Bassey above him too for example, but that's a much more subjective call.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#384 » by FutureIsGreen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Why I would not draft Barrett high, look at the track record of his Canadian predecessors. Same frame and Wiggins. Same meekness. I get the kid can ball, but I dont think I'd take him 8n the top 5. Once Zion left, I felt as though you should have seen Barrett and Reddish be better than they were. Canadian Players just keep on underperforming at the next level. The higher they go the worse they seem to be. History and value need to go into the draft process. Great kid, great skills, too nice to go to war though.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#385 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:16 pm

FutureIsGreen wrote:Why I would not draft Barrett high, look at the track record of his Canadian predecessors. Same frame and Wiggins. Same meekness. I get the kid can ball, but I dont think I'd take him 8n the top 5. Once Zion left, I felt as though you should have seen Barrett and Reddish be better than they were. Canadian Players just keep on underperforming at the next level. The higher they go the worse they seem to be. History and value need to go into the draft process. Great kid, great skills, too nice to go to war though.

Canadians have a much better track record the 6'6" F/C. I would take Wiggins over either of these two and I don't even like him .
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#386 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:38 pm

Williamson's knees won't last in the NBA. He'll be great for a few years, then he'll be a famous cripple, like Greg Oden. I still can't see why Zion is under discussion.

If you want to suggest who the Celtics might draft with their best pick (which could in theory be any one of three), ask yourself, what would Danny Ferry do?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,399

Post#387 » by Homerclease » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Williamson's knees won't last in the NBA. He'll be great for a few years, then he'll be a famous cripple, like Greg Oden. I still can't see why Zion is under discussion.

If you want to suggest who the Celtics might draft with their best pick (which could in theory be any one of three), ask yourself, what would Danny Ferry do?

Did you watch Giannis last night? That’s why he’s under discussion
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#388 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 pm

The most likely candidate in this draft to become the next Giannis is Sekou Doumbouya, but he'll probably be playing for the Pelicans. And if the AD deal falls through, Ainge may draft Kelly Olynyk instead.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
FutureIsGreen
Junior

Post#389 » by FutureIsGreen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:09 pm

sully00 wrote:
FutureIsGreen wrote:Why I would not draft Barrett high, look at the track record of his Canadian predecessors. Same frame and Wiggins. Same meekness. I get the kid can ball, but I dont think I'd take him 8n the top 5. Once Zion left, I felt as though you should have seen Barrett and Reddish be better than they were. Canadian Players just keep on underperforming at the next level. The higher they go the worse they seem to be. History and value need to go into the draft process. Great kid, great skills, too nice to go to war though.

Canadians have a much better track record the 6'6" F/C. I would take Wiggins over either of these two and I don't even like him .

We Canadians just dont become number one guys, like ever. They are getting better everyday, but just dont have the right mindset to brawl. Hoping that changes soon. Maybe Barrett changes that, but cant believe it until I see it. He lead us to the U19 championship, but still believe he just projects to become another meh.

I'd personally take Shittu over Barrett as a development prospect.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#390 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:37 pm

FutureIsGreen wrote:
sully00 wrote:

We Canadians just dont become number one guys, like ever. They are getting better everyday, but just dont have the right mindset to brawl. Hoping that changes soon. Maybe Barrett changes that, but cant believe it until I see it. He lead us to the U19 championship, but still believe he just projects to become another meh.

Jamal Murray. Barrett is going to be a player.
FutureIsGreen
Junior

Post#391 » by FutureIsGreen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54 pm

sully00 wrote:
FutureIsGreen wrote:
sully00 wrote:

Murray has shown progress sure. Still needs to show he can lead a team to a finals. I wouldn't want him to replace Kyrie if he walked. Still like Brown as a better option, so still happy with the pick myself. Murray was drafted about where I see Barrett going too. Doesnt crack my top 3.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by sully00 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:17 pm

FutureIsGreen wrote:
sully00 wrote:
FutureIsGreen wrote:

Murray has shown progress sure. Still needs to show he can lead a team to a finals. I wouldn't want him to replace Kyrie if he walked. Still like Brown as a better option, so still happy with the pick myself. Murray was drafted about where I see Barrett going too. Doesnt crack my top 3.

You point out an interesting issue. I am not sure that people recognize that this is a weak draft. Because of the hype and fun around Williamson and Duke as well as Gonzaga to an extent college basketball has been entertaining and the Knicks need this to be a good draft but I am not sure it has set in that this isn't a good draft. Its weak at the top and not very deep. Barrett is going to go 1 or 2 and he has the issues you describe. Your not going to get a traditional top 3 pick in this draft your getting a player with questions in those first 3 slots and after that your moving into a group of guys who essentially weren't good enough to come out in last year's draft.

You can get players in this draft but I don't see a bunch of guys who project as NBA All Stars.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#393 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:48 am

I see this as an average draft. From what I've seen so far, I like Reddish, Doumbouya and Keldon Johnson. I'm not as high on DeAndre Hunter as I was a few months ago, but he's going to be a solid NBA player. The second round is also decent, with guys like Cameron Johnson, Ky Bowman and Matisse Thybulle. And if you want shooting, look overseas, because Sirvydis, Marinkovic and Zagars (just to name three) are absolute snipers-- and they may not even crack the top 60.

BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,176

Post#394 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Some of the tanking going on in the NBA recently is pathetic. The Suns are pathetic..the Knicks are pathetic. I hate that teams get rewarded for losing on purpose and get their full incompetence bailed out by high draft picks. Would love to see them give equal lottery odds to all the non playoff teams every year. How a team like the Nets hasn't had a high quality pick in like 4 years and are better than a team like the Suns or Magic is just shocking.

Losing teams should be rewarded with relegation to inferior leagues, less prize money and stuff like that. A top draft pick is probably the second best thing next to a championship and the team that gets it is one of the teams that loses the most. The goal of a professional sports team should never be to lose..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#395 » by bigboi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:52 pm

sully00 wrote:
jcappy wrote:It seems like the Zion discussion in previous pages would have fit better if it was about his injury's effect on the draft--or about his Nike shoes exploding under him. As opposed to a long general discussion about how good he is, which comes up here and there all the time. What if the MRI shows more damage than expected? Does this enter into say the Knick's pick--if only a little. And does the vaunted number one pick become a little less certain?

I think the idea that he is a lock for the number one pick is uncertain. RJ Barrett is a better player and better fit for the league even if he doesn't make the high light reel he was also the higher prospect. You may be able to move but I could see a team like PHX targeting the Ja Morant in the draft as well. Once the season ends and NBA people can start to express how they feel about players more it becomes clearer right now your getting what former players watching games on TV are saying.

You have zero clue of what you’re talking about and clearly don’t watch the games. RJ Barrett isn’t even close to Zion as a player. This is a consensus #1, whoever doesn’t pick Zion 1st is getting fired. Even if he doesn’t pan out, ticket sales will go through the roof because he’s honestly the most hyped player since Lebron

Actually reading your comments, you’re way off lmao. Zion is rocking a 40 plus PER compared to Barrett’s 24.5. I don’t know where you got your stats from. Zion’s TS is 70 while Barrett is at 54. Other than shoot, Barrett does nothing better, literally nothing. He plays more minutes too and has a higher USG. Zion is better in every way and you need to watch Duke games before you speak on stuff like this.
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#396 » by sully00 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:51 pm

bigboi wrote:
sully00 wrote:
jcappy wrote:It seems like the Zion discussion in previous pages would have fit better if it was about his injury's effect on the draft--or about his Nike shoes exploding under him. As opposed to a long general discussion about how good he is, which comes up here and there all the time. What if the MRI shows more damage than expected? Does this enter into say the Knick's pick--if only a little. And does the vaunted number one pick become a little less certain?

You have zero clue of what you’re talking about and clearly don’t watch the games. RJ Barrett isn’t even close to Zion as a player. This is a consensus #1, whoever doesn’t pick Zion 1st is getting fired. Even if he doesn’t pan out, ticket sales will go through the roof because he’s honestly the most hyped player since Lebron

Actually reading your comments, you’re way off lmao. Zion is rocking a 40 plus PER compared to Barrett’s 24.5. I don’t know where you got your stats from. Zion’s TS is 70 while Barrett is at 54. Other than shoot, Barrett does nothing better, literally nothing. He plays more minutes too and has a higher USG. Zion is better in every way and you need to watch Duke games before you speak on stuff like this.

Do you understand stats you are talking about? Why does Zion have a TS% in the 70's? Because he dunks the ball against college players too weak and short to do anything about it. Can he do that in the pros at 6'6"? Probably not. Both Barrett and Reddish were ranked higher as prospects coming into the season they are both taller than him can shoot better than him Barrett is a better play maker than him.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kenneth-faried-1.html

This Kenneth Faried in college not quite as crazy PER numbers and TS% but close and much better rebounder. At 6'8" the guy can't even start in the league.

What position do you see Zion playing? I am not dismissing the guy's season it has been terrific and I think you do have to select him in the top 2 or 3 picks because of the weakness of the draft. But save you stats and fake outrage dude is not a consensus anything yet except for the same people who though Markell Fultz was a superstar.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#397 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm

sully00 wrote:
bigboi wrote:
sully00 wrote:

Do you understand stats you are talking about? Why does Zion have a TS% in the 70's? Because he dunks the ball against college players too weak and short to do anything about it. Can he do that in the pros at 6'6"? Probably not. Both Barrett and Reddish were ranked higher as prospects coming into the season they are both taller than him can shoot better than him Barrett is a better play maker than him.

This Kenneth Faried in college not quite as crazy PER numbers and TS% but close and much better rebounder. At 6'8" the guy can't even start in the league.

What position do you see Zion playing? I am not dismissing the guy's season it has been terrific and I think you do have to select him in the top 2 or 3 picks because of the weakness of the draft. But save you stats and fake outrage dude is not a consensus anything yet except for the same people who though Markell Fultz was a superstar.

Sully I hear your height concerns, and I do have concerns too. But there are plenty of people that are saying Zion is the best prospect since Anthony Davis and some think since LeBron for a reason. He's setting records this year stats wise.

It's okay to not believe in him and think it won't translate, but that is no longer close to the majority view. At the very least Zion being a superstar view is akin to the Hillary Clinton will win the election a month before she went against Trump. That's what all the experts say and for many good reasons.

Maybe they're wrong, I wouldnt mind if they are as we have no shot at him. But he's considered the best prospect in ANY draft in a long time.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,256

Post#398 » by skywalker33 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm

Weren't those the same people who were hyping Andrew Wiggins a few years ago ? I remember the LBJ comparisons there too.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#399 » by sully00 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:04 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
sully00 wrote:
bigboi wrote:

Sully I hear your height concerns, and I do have concerns too. But there are plenty of people that are saying Zion is the best prospect since Anthony Davis and some think since LeBron for a reason. He's setting records this year stats wise.

It's okay to not believe in him and think it won't translate, but that is no longer close to the majority view. At the very least Zion being a superstar view is akin to the Hillary Clinton will win the election a month before she went against Trump. That's what all the experts say and for many good reasons.

Maybe they're wrong, I wouldnt mind if they are as we have no shot at him. But he's considered the best prospect in ANY draft in a long time.

I don't even have a problem with taking him #1 I am just not convinced that is what is going to happen. These comparisons to Lebron are a joke I don't if it reflects people's age or what. Lebron James would have been the #1 pick in the draft his sophomore year of High School. Anthony Davis was pegged as the #1 pick for years prior to his draft. That just isn't who Williamson is.

Barrett scored 30 points in his first game ever. He has scored 30 6 times and has last 3 games have been triple double and two 30 point games. If Williamson shuts it down right now you could see Barrett make a run at 30/10/5 (more likely 25/8/5) but still a monster season. This conversation is weird because by stating the obvious and not hating on Zion at all people are getting all worked up. Barrett is having an outstanding year for a Freshman and he is the prototype body for his position he was the guy scouts have felt would be #1 pick all along.

Zion has terrific advanced stats but what records do you think he is setting? What position do you think he is going to play? I don't see a SF. He is an avg rebounder for a big. This idea that he is the best prospect is crazy talk part of that is having the body for the job. Williamson is the 5'9" PG who lead the nation in scoring he is just doing it at Duke.

He might be the next Charles Barkley but the reality is Barkley went 5th in the draft and Jordan and Hakeem won all the titles. Huge fan of Barkley but besides the big numbers his teams didn't accomplish very much until he changed his game and became more of a SF.

I wouldn't trade Tatum for Zion. I would take Ayton, Bagley, Simmons, Towns, Embiid, and Porzingis over Zion. Wiggins is where it gets kind of weird as he is really kind of flaming out but he was a much bigger prospect than Zion is and so was Parker.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Post#400 » by Ball4life32 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Zion is not as good as Lebron as a prospect but where Zion ranked in high school doesn't make him any less of a prospect. Coach K even said he's way better than he thought he was...and he was a consensus top 5 player.

Anthony Davis was never pegged #1 years prior to the draft. He blew up late (grew a ton) and wasn't even the consensus #1 player in his class. Rivals ranked Austin Rivers ahead of him. Zion is a PF in the NBA and i don't understand the Kenneth Faried comparison. Compare them as freshman and you see that Zion is the superior prospect. That includes Anthony Bennett too who no one thought was going to go #1 in his draft.

Zion is getting 2.2 Steals and 1.8 blocks in only 28.8 MPG and has 8.1 DBPM to go along with an elite def win share / def rating. I dont see why you think he will struggle early in the NBA on that end...also 8.8 rebounds in less than 29 minutes isn't average. When he starts playing 32+ MPG he will average 10+ RPG imo. And don't get me started on the offensive end.

Return to Boston Celtics