ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#41 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:11 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Here is my biased rundown on this draft heading into the college season.

1. Zion is my #1 guy right now. I slid him to my #1 right before the Canada trip when I heard from my buddies that his handles in practice were really improved. Zion with a handle is a damn scary guy. The dude loves to rebound, underrated facilitator, tremendous IQ offensively. Defensively he isnt bad, he plays with effort but he has horrible defensive skill and footwork right now.

2. Cam is my #2. To me he is by far the best prospect in this class and best Duke wing prospect I have seen (didnt see Grant Hill). Handle? Check. Length? Check. Jumper? Check. Can finish at the rim? Check. Not the most explosive athlete, but has enough explosion and is very agile and a lot of wiggle to his game, has no problem creating space. The only down side to him is he reminds me of Wiggins when it comes to his fire. That is scary for me and the only reason I dont have him #1.

3. Little. I love his physique and I love how much he loves to play defense. Offensively he has a good spin move when he drives and has a good turn around mid range jumper. His 3pt shot is coming along, not sure he is ever going to be a deadly 3pt shooter, Im kind of expecting a Jimmy Butler type shooter. The downfall I have with him is he can play really stiff offensively. He doesnt have the agility and wiggle like a Jimmy Butler. He also has a pretty average handle as well for a wing his age. Im not sure he is ever going to be a guy that can create his own shot efficiently consistently.

4. RJ. I think he is a solid prospect but I have never seen the superstar potential that so many people talk about. Solid size but definitely not elite with a 6'9 wingspan, he has that assassin mindset which can be great but can also be bad when his jumper isnt falling. His jumper is pretty ugly right now, it is a slow shot that is not consistent and Im not sure how much potential is there. He is a very stiff athlete. Really lacks lateral agility, he stays really high when he attacks off the dribble. When he has open spaces he can really get up, but still not the most functional athlete. I dont think he is a horrible prospect, I think he can be a mid range wizard like DeMar but with defense.

Right now I think any team that lands a top 4 pick will be happy with the value they're getting, after that is another story in my opinion. Right now I personally feel like there is only 1 other player that would be a lottery pick in most drafts and that is Langford and I think he would be tail end of the lotto most drafts. Im also not high on Jontay Porter either. I think he is a rotation big in the NBA. I know there are many Langford and Porter fans that will disagree with me on those 2 guys. Mid 20s is where I think the value returns in this draft, especially if Tyler Herro drops to the 20s. I think if guys like Konate, Bazley, Jordan Brown, Garland, Tre Jones and Louis King are sitting there in the mid and late 20s those would be good value picks.

Yeah I remember watching Reddish in the MacDonalds game and he really stood out as he made some really flashy passes and had like a half dozen steals on defense. He was kind of hesitant to shoot though, went four or five trips down the flor without asking for the ball. It will be interesting to see what role he carves out playing next to Zion, Barrett, and Jones. I also think Grimes could sneak into the top four if Kansas makes a deep tourney run. We'll see a improved Azibuike, they'll be a very good team this year.
thelarrybirdx
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#42 » by thelarrybirdx » Sat Sep 1, 2018 3:16 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Spoiler:
Here is my biased rundown on this draft heading into the college season.

1. Zion is my #1 guy right now. I slid him to my #1 right before the Canada trip when I heard from my buddies that his handles in practice were really improved. Zion with a handle is a damn scary guy. The dude loves to rebound, underrated facilitator, tremendous IQ offensively. Defensively he isnt bad, he plays with effort but he has horrible defensive skill and footwork right now.

2. Cam is my #2. To me he is by far the best prospect in this class and best Duke wing prospect I have seen (didnt see Grant Hill). Handle? Check. Length? Check. Jumper? Check. Can finish at the rim? Check. Not the most explosive athlete, but has enough explosion and is very agile and a lot of wiggle to his game, has no problem creating space. The only down side to him is he reminds me of Wiggins when it comes to his fire. That is scary for me and the only reason I dont have him #1.

3. Little. I love his physique and I love how much he loves to play defense. Offensively he has a good spin move when he drives and has a good turn around mid range jumper. His 3pt shot is coming along, not sure he is ever going to be a deadly 3pt shooter, Im kind of expecting a Jimmy Butler type shooter. The downfall I have with him is he can play really stiff offensively. He doesnt have the agility and wiggle like a Jimmy Butler. He also has a pretty average handle as well for a wing his age. Im not sure he is ever going to be a guy that can create his own shot efficiently consistently.

4. RJ. I think he is a solid prospect but I have never seen the superstar potential that so many people talk about. Solid size but definitely not elite with a 6'9 wingspan, he has that assassin mindset which can be great but can also be bad when his jumper isnt falling. His jumper is pretty ugly right now, it is a slow shot that is not consistent and Im not sure how much potential is there. He is a very stiff athlete. Really lacks lateral agility, he stays really high when he attacks off the dribble. When he has open spaces he can really get up, but still not the most functional athlete. I dont think he is a horrible prospect, I think he can be a mid range wizard like DeMar but with defense.

Right now I think any team that lands a top 4 pick will be happy with the value they're getting, after that is another story in my opinion. Right now I personally feel like there is only 1 other player that would be a lottery pick in most drafts and that is Langford and I think he would be tail end of the lotto most drafts. Im also not high on Jontay Porter either. I think he is a rotation big in the NBA. I know there are many Langford and Porter fans that will disagree with me on those 2 guys. Mid 20s is where I think the value returns in this draft, especially if Tyler Herro drops to the 20s. I think if guys like Konate, Bazley, Jordan Brown, Garland, Tre Jones and Louis King are sitting there in the mid and late 20s those would be good value picks.

Is it fair to say a comp for Little is Josh Jackson?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#43 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 5:02 am

thelarrybirdx wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Spoiler:

Their games are pretty different. Jackson is the better athlete, moves much better laterally and is the much bigger threat off the dribble and better facilitator.

Little is much more of a power player. Much stronger and longer which is going to allow him to guard 4s which I don't think Jackson will be able to do. He also has the much better shot mechanics over Jackson. Little also has 0 character and maturity issues, unlike Jackson.

I'm horrible with comparisons. I'd might say a slightly taller and longer Stanley Johnson. Physically intimidating wings who are explosive but lack some agility and wiggle to their games. Good form on their jumper but not consistent shooters. Good handle but not great, that mixed with the lack of agility might limit their ability to create in the NBA. Johnson had the better handle but Little is the more consistent defender at this stage.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 5:13 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Here is my biased rundown on this draft heading into the college season.

Spoiler:

Yeah I remember watching Reddish in the MacDonalds game and he really stood out as he made some really flashy passes and had like a half dozen steals on defense. He was kind of hesitant to shoot though, went four or five trips down the flor without asking for the ball. It will be interesting to see what role he carves out playing next to Zion, Barrett, and Jones. I also think Grimes could sneak into the top four if Kansas makes a deep tourney run. We'll see a improved Azibuike, they'll be a very good team this year.

You really can't take much (positive or negative) from the all Star circuit games. But the end of the Jordan Brand game had a good back and forth between Reddish and Little. There is an ease to Reddish's offense because of the ridiculous skill level he has.

When he wants to play, the dude has every tool you could ask for.
yeahM8
Starter
And1: 3,682

Post#45 » by yeahM8 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:49 am

Homerclease wrote:
colaroaster wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:The real question is if we get 2 top 10 picks, can we get AD?

google "derrick rose rule"

does danny save cap space and trade-out for future picks?

Perhaps you should google the rule yourself. Kyrie is a free agent next year.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#46 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 6, 2018 11:54 am

thelarrybirdx wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Spoiler:

Little isnt too dissimilar from Jaylen when he enteried college, though Little is longer and bit better suited to guard bigger guys. Little is probably a step behind Jaylen offensively, though.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#47 » by Banks2Pierce » Thu Sep 6, 2018 1:18 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:He's more like Charles Barkley I'd say.

That feels right to me on Zion's strength based on what I've seen. Some guys are just pure power and it translates at every level and he has the bounce that makes the BBD comparisons feel off. Whether he has the basketball skills that Barkley had is something I'll try to project out when I see more of him against top college players.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:52 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Spoiler:

Little isnt too dissimilar from Jaylen when he enteried college, though Little is longer and bit better suited to guard bigger guys. Little is probably a step behind Jaylen offensively, though.

Doesnt have the agility that Brown has. His agility is more along the line of Stanley Johnson in my opinion. Guys like Jaylen and Butler are a lot more fluid in their movements. Which allows both guys to guard SGs very well and have more wiggle to their game offensively.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#49 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Sep 9, 2018 5:35 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:

Doesnt have the agility that Brown has. His agility is more along the line of Stanley Johnson in my opinion. Guys like Jaylen and Butler are a lot more fluid in their movements. Which allows both guys to guard SGs very well and have more wiggle to their game offensively.

He's much more fluid than Jaylen who is anything but. I would not use "agile" to describe Jaylen at all. He plays with power more than finesse. There's nothing smooth about Jaylen in the slightest at least how the term is used for NBA players. Little can finish softly at the rim and handle in traffic and he's natural doing so unlike Jaylen.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#50 » by Smog » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

He's much more fluid than Jaylen who is anything but. I would not use "agile" to describe Jaylen at all. He plays with power more than finesse. There's nothing smooth about Jaylen in the slightest at least how the term is used for NBA players. Little can finish softly at the rim and handle in traffic and he's natural doing so unlike Jaylen.

Jaylen Brown not agile? He’s a 230 pound forward who moves like a point guard. He’s not the smoothest guy in the league, but there aren’t many players with lighter feet for their size.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#51 » by Tiny ball » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:07 am

Smog wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Jaylen Brown not agile? He’s a 230 pound forward who moves like a point guard. He’s not the smoothest guy in the league, but there aren’t many players with lighter feet for their size.

He is the starting 2 guard.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#52 » by mbsnmisc » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Smog wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Jaylen is sudden.
BigTimeFA2LA
Sophomore
And1: 186

Post#53 » by BigTimeFA2LA » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Celtics are cheating, Kings going to be terrible team again which will give Celtics top 5 pick. Prob trade that pick + Brown or Hayward to Pelicans for Davis.

Kyrie/Brown/Tatum/Morris/Davis

Celtics dynasty next decade congrats
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#54 » by captain green » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:43 pm

To be honest not sure I like zion so hopefully he goes number 1. Last year wasn't big on fultz either, although I will say zion has that it factor and better shot than fultz.
Did I read we could potentially have four 1st Rd picks in this draft?
We're going to be set cause to me this year's draft players are going be great mid lottery and weak at the top with hype players.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#55 » by patman52 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 pm

colaroaster wrote:
LuckyLeprechaun wrote:The real question is if we get 2 top 10 picks, can we get AD?

Well maybe then you can enlighten me. Kyrie opts out of his deal as expected, he is no longer a member of the celts, I know we have to have a cap hold to accommodate the possibility of him returning. But once he opts out he is not a member of the celts- correct? They can then complete the draft night trade. Then once he is aboard and under his 2nd deal, Kyrie is then re-signed.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#56 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:39 pm

patman52 wrote:
colaroaster wrote:

Well maybe then you can enlighten me. Kyrie opts out of his deal as expected, he is no longer a member of the celts, I know we have to have a cap hold to accommodate the possibility of him returning. But once he opts out he is not a member of the celts- correct? They can then complete the draft night trade. Then once he is aboard and under his 2nd deal, Kyrie is then re-signed.

We would need an agreement in place before the draft and draft for the pelicans. Then when the new league year starts, Kyrie can opt out and resign, and AD can be traded as Kyrie will no longer be under his Drose contract.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#57 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
patman52 wrote:
colaroaster wrote:google "derrick rose rule"

We would need an agreement in place before the draft and draft for the pelicans. Then when the new league year starts, Kyrie can opt out and resign, and AD can be traded as Kyrie will no longer be under his Drose contract.

We don't necessarily have to have a deal in place and "draft for the Pelicans" they simply have to want what we drafted, much like the Wiggins for Love trade in 2014. If anything, it might be better for both parties if it happens that way and we can sign the rookies and then wait 30 days and use their salaries in the deal. For example Smart in 19 (12m)+#2 pick (~7.5m)+#9 pick (~3.5m)+ our own pick in the 25-30 range (~1.7m) comes awfully close in numbers to AD's 2019 salary (27M, with 15% trade kicker). Not that that would be the deal, but having an extra 10-12m in salary to work with makes it much easier to match for AD than trying to do so when simply trading draft rights. The lone exception being if the deal is Horford opting in for Davis, in which case it may be easier to trade the draft rights rather than the salary.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#58 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 pm

BigTimeFA2LA wrote:Celtics are cheating, Kings going to be terrible team again which will give Celtics top 5 pick. Prob trade that pick + Brown or Hayward to Pelicans for Davis.

Kyrie/Brown/Tatum/Morris/Davis

Celtics dynasty next decade congrats

I just hope Morris isn't the 5th guy in that starting lineup next year
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#59 » by Homerclease » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 pm

If the kings pick comes in the top 4 we are looking at adding one of Zion, Reddish, Little or RJ onto this squad to replace Morris which is essentially a dream scenario. If it drops out of the top 4 I really like Naz Reid anywhere in the rest of the lottery as a future Horford replacement. Hopefully he’s available in the 10-14 range where that Grizz pick will likely be. Pick up a depth PG at the end of the first and were good to go yet again
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#60 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:34 pm

If we don't get the pick next year, what happens to it? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics