ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#601 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 4, 2019 4:53 pm

Fair enough, I'll still take the higher pick. Don't think it matters what the Knicks do, I'll take a chance at Morant over some euro stiff at 14.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#602 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:48 pm

winsomme2 wrote:Anybody looking at Dylan Windler?

Seems like a sniper with solid skills. A senior might be a question for some teams but for the Cs might mean he could step in and play right away.

Thoughts?

He struggles pretty heavily vs good talent/teams. Worth a shot as a second rounder, but would pass on taking him in the first round.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#603 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:02 am

The Memphis pick, for this year or next, might have been decided by a few shots in a few games.

Wizards lose with Lemon the star for Chicago, New Orleans and Dallas folding in the final minutes. A shot or two are hit in each game and the Memphis pick would be locked at 6 or 7.

Would prefer to have the Memphis pick in the future. This draft, the player you want at pick 9 could be there when the Sacramento pick that goes to Boston comes up.

Tanking Dallas will decide the Memphis pick.

Sacramento pick could still give Boston a 3% chance of pick 2 to 4.

This is not a good draft. The swingmen in the lottery are Ron Mercer. The point guards and centers are injured, or they are less-athletic Robert Williams or more-selfish Terry Rozier.

A strange draft. The Celtics could package picks 20 and 22 to move up to 14, but they already own 14.

At least the Celtics tanked enough, by starting Morris, so they can keep their second rounder. It is strategy like that which builds champion teams.

How many players in the first round can hit 75% of their free throws?
Morant and a few other point guards, Grant Williams, Herro, not much more than that.

A tweener draft with very little overseas help, shooting guards hitting free throws at 50%, power forwards measuring 6-6 to 6-8, only one player measuring 7-foot picked in the first round, a guy called Dort, it is good to have three or four first round picks in a draft but this isn't the draft to have that happen in.

Looking forward to seeing the unpredictable draft, but expecting Celtics to swing and miss, as most teams will.

The draft pick that will make everything fun:

winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#604 » by winsomme2 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 2:43 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Seems like a sniper with solid skills. A senior might be a question for some teams but for the Cs might mean he could step in and play right away.

Thoughts?

He struggles pretty heavily vs good talent/teams. Worth a shot as a second rounder, but would pass on taking him in the first round.

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#605 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Apr 5, 2019 3:44 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Thoughts?

Ideally, I want to be drafting for another team with all of our first round picks (unless we end up with the Memphis pick) but sure 2nd rounder maybe. BPA is generally the rule though and I think there will still be "flyer-worthy" talent when we pick in the 2nd.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#606 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:08 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Thoughts?

I wish there was one for his game vs Purdue, too.
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,632

Post#607 » by oldshoolballer » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:13 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Anyone talking about drafting or trading up for Reddish should be banned from this thread.

Hope I'm wrong but he's looking like a bust
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,632

Post#608 » by oldshoolballer » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:19 pm

Roddy wrote:Cam Reddish is not a lottery pick. This guy will be average at best in the NBA.

Barrett can score 20 ppg in the NBA. He is a top 3 pick for sure, behind Zion and Morant. His passing ability are very good.

I still pick Tre Jones with on of our mid-round pick. Perfect backup PG.

Barrett reminds me of Booker puts up great stats but has no impact to winning at the next level
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#609 » by FakeScreenName123 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:37 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Curious question here. I was on Tankathon's website and did a couple sims with their lottery generator and I landed on a Boston #4 pick and NY #1 pick & it really made me think; what would you rather have happen:

Celtics with the #14 pick (worst case, but most plausible scenario) & the Knicks with the 5th pick (worst case, but most plausible scenario for NY & limits their assets in a potential deal with NO for Davis)

or

Celtics with the #2-#4 pick (best case, but least plausible scenario) & the Knicks with 1st pick (best case scenario for NY & opens up potential deals with NO for Davis, while still having cap space to outright sign Kyrie)

Obviously if we land a top pick it helps our odds in a Davis deal as well, but from most accounts, it's a large drop off between Zion & the next guy in the draft. Thoughts?

I'll take the second pick and it's not close. I don't think Zion has any sway on established players going to New York; they're either going there or they aren't and some 19 year old doesn't matter.

we'll know if this is true if/when Zion signs with Nike
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#610 » by sam_I_am » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:22 pm

Last year we were glad that Laker pick had to be 2-5 because we thought Sac pick would be better. However, we now know that a 2018 #10 pick and a shot at Knox/ Bridgesx2/Shai will likely end up better than the Sac #14 2019 pick this year.

Right now the common wisdom is that we are better off not getting Memphis pick this year. However, what if Cam Reddish or Nasir Little are available at 9 this year and Memphis pulls a Sacramento next year and is borderline playoff team? Personally....I want the pick if Reddish is there. I think he going to be a better pro than his Freshman year at Duke would suggest.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#611 » by LloydFree » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:34 pm

bigfoot_cryptozoology wrote:I am fearing that Ainge will take the Smart like player in Little and bypass the Nurkis/Jokic type in Goga, who seems to be moving up in the charts... Because this is Ainge's MO... Not that Little won't be a good player... He should do better in the Pros than College, but you can't go wrong with a CHL pick.

LOL. I'd love for Ainge to select Goga with their top pick.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#612 » by Homerclease » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:13 pm

sam_I_am wrote:Last year we were glad that Laker pick had to be 2-5 because we thought Sac pick would be better. However, we now know that a 2018 #10 pick and a shot at Knox/ Bridgesx2/Shai will likely end up better than the Sac #14 2019 pick this year.

Right now the common wisdom is that we are better off not getting Memphis pick this year. However, what if Cam Reddish or Nasir Little are available at 9 this year and Memphis pulls a Sacramento next year and is borderline playoff team? Personally....I want the pick if Reddish is there. I think he going to be a better pro than his Freshman year at Duke would suggest.

One of these things is not like the other. SGA is by far the best of that group though. Knox is horrible.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#613 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:06 pm

Homerclease wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:Last year we were glad that Laker pick had to be 2-5 because we thought Sac pick would be better. However, we now know that a 2018 #10 pick and a shot at Knox/ Bridgesx2/Shai will likely end up better than the Sac #14 2019 pick this year.

One of these things is not like the other. SGA is by far the best of that group though. Knox is horrible.

Also for whatever reason in the NBA draft picks are like new cars but worse.

They lose 75% of their value after the pick conveys (unless it's a top 3 or top 5 guy with lots of hype).

That said sadly this draft isn't that great at all. And we really need big man talent (Smart, Brown, Tatum alone means you have 3 starting level guard/wings that will be around for the next 10 years).

I'd like to see us swing for the fences with Bol Bol and hope he conveys. When the comparative is someone who looks like a less polished Theis in Jaxson Hayes... **** it what do you have to lose.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#614 » by NuckyPowell » Sat Apr 6, 2019 9:58 pm

I want no part of Reddish. Kid disappears for very long stretches. I think he's almost guaranteed to disappoint whoever drafts him. I'll take a guy slightly less skilled, but with way more heart every single time.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#615 » by sam_I_am » Sun Apr 7, 2019 12:39 am

Ty Jerome may be a better prospect than I thought and might be a second round steal. I would consider taking him with our own first rounder if I believed he could get results from ... ahem .... an NBA strength and conditioning program.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#616 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Apr 7, 2019 11:18 am

Im pretty strongly on the ‘Culver will be a bust’ bandwagon. I just dont see him as a strong enough offensive weapon to be worthy of the top 5 pick he’ll command.

This draft continues to look more and more disappointing the further I dive in. It feels very much like the 2013 draft after Zion and Morant. Some mid-tier talent may develop, but picks 4 to 15 or 20 are just not materially different from a talent perspective.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#617 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:50 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Im pretty strongly on the ‘Culver will be a bust’ bandwagon. I just dont see him as a strong enough offensive weapon to be worthy of the top 5 pick he’ll command.

This draft continues to look more and more disappointing the further I dive in. It feels very much like the 2013 draft after Zion and Morant. Some mid-tier talent may develop, but picks 4 to 15 or 20 are just not materially different from a talent perspective.

They really aren't. I'd hate to be a scout assessing this draft for your team. We'll have probably 3 picks in the first round of this draft and I want them all to go to NOLA after they're drafted and signed. We'll have a pick around 50 and I feel comfortable that there will be at least one person there who will be as good as someone who got drafted at 25.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#618 » by djFan71 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:58 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Im pretty strongly on the ‘Culver will be a bust’ bandwagon. I just dont see him as a strong enough offensive weapon to be worthy of the top 5 pick he’ll command.

Yeah, I was on his wagon after the 1st few tournament games, but watching more, his offensive is rudimentary. But his D could be spectacular. Best path is he learns to shoot, and becomes elite 3 & D. If everything develops, his (probably unattainable) ceiling is Kawhi-lite. More likely he's a taller Smart. I don't see bust, but not your dream with a top 5 pick either.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#619 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 8:06 pm

I don't think Cam or Little are bad solutions with how well Sac has played this year. Going into the year if someone told everyone on this site that the Sac pick would end up being one of those 2 guys, most people's reaction would be Ainge played it perfect.

But those 2 guys have continually dropped down the rankings for a reason. Except for a 10-15 minute flash every 6-7 games, Cam was flat out horrible offensively this past year. Little struggled to get off the bench at UNC and when he did see the court, he would show a quick glimpse of his size and athleticism, but then show possession after possession why he isn't getting more time. The dude looked like he had no clue what he was doing out there.

I get the pick if you guys end up taking either one of those two, might as well go with the 2 guys with the higher ceilings at that point in the draft. But both guys are nowhere near being able to contribute on a NBA team, let alone a playoff one. I also think both guys have great chances at being guys that get some scrap minutes here and there, see a lot of time in the G League and may struggle to get a 2nd contract. There always seems to be 1 or 2 guys in the top 16 that end up like that. I wouldn't be shocked if one of Little/Cam end up like that.
williambh3
Junior
And1: 203

Post#620 » by williambh3 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 8:26 pm

The only good value in this draft is #1 overall or picking off cheap rotation pieces in the mid- to late-first. Use picks as part of bigger deal, otherwise use them for depth. Don’t trade up.

Return to Boston Celtics