ImageImageImage

2019 NBA draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,655

Re: 2019 NBA draft 

Post#641 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:05 pm

I'd rather have 2 picks 9-14 than the #2 pick. I'm not sold on January being this lock to be a star. Horrible defense, bad shooter with bad form, inconsistent finisher at the rim and 0 mid range game. One of Garland or White will be there. Brandon Clarke will be there, Little will be there, Jaxon Hayes will be there.

I think this class is very weak at the top because I don't see any true tier 2 guys (guys with good value 2-5). But I think this draft excels with Zion at 1 and it's tier 3 guys.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#642 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 am

Oof.

Do they flip the coins on lottery night too for draft position?

It looks like it will come down to seeing where the ball bounce, hopefully MEM's pick is differed. We have no need for 4 first rounders in a weak draft.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#643 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:59 am

Do they flip the coins on lottery night too for draft position?

Very soon, the NBA will have the draft tiebreakers.

Will guess this is a week away.

It used to be a coin toss, but now they throw a couple of balls into their machine for each team and then pick them out for the draft order for teams tied with the same wins.

This was last year:
https://pr.nba.com/nba-draft-2018-tiebreakers/

Pelicans, Grizzlies, Mavs will get thrown into the machine. First one out is pick 7, then 8 and then 9. So, before the lottery happens, 67% chance the Memphis pick stays with them. The Mavs pick goes to the Hawks.

Think all the above is correct.

Celtics versus OKC will be another pick tiebreaker.

Maybe Kings, Hornets and heat.

Cavs, Suns have the tiebreaker for 2 and 3. Of course the lottery can change that result later.

May 14 -- NBA Draft Lottery 2019

June 20 -- NBA Draft 2019

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#644 » by chrisab123 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:46 am

Bol Bol is a guy the Celtics should roll the dice on. Looked good before getting hurt
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#645 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am

chrisab123 wrote:Bol Bol is a guy the Celtics should roll the dice on. Looked good before getting hurt

Way too slim for his size. I don't trust his build to make through a 15 year career.

Hachimura and Doumbaya are my picks if we keep the choices at 12-13 and potentially 8.

Bitadze with 17 from the Clippers.

Our pick I'd trade to a bottom tier playoff team for their pick next year if there are any takes(not like bottom bottom but 5-6 type of team like the Spurs or something)... I dunno 4 picks is way too many to add in 1 draft. I expect Danny to either trade up or trade out if we keep the picks to ourselves and especially if that MEM pick conveys.

Oh and I have no idea what happened to Bamba in ORL??? What happened is he injured, but I'd trade a few picks for him if the Magic are looking to retain Vuc instead of drafting Bol Bol...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#646 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am

Oh and still hoping that the Kings can still win the coin toss if nothing else. :D
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#647 » by winsomme2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Pretty sure that ties are broken by a coin flip before the lottery. So it seems that we still don't know about any of our picks.

Anybody know when they do the coin flips?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#648 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:12 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Bol Bol is a guy the Celtics should roll the dice on. Looked good before getting hurt

I'm just not thrilled with taking another 1st rounder on a center after Timelord last year. Williams looks like a real keeper, and with Horford & Baynes around, bringing in another true center seems like there's no chance that kid will contribute for 2-3 years. Besides that, it usually takes centers 2-3 years to become reasonably good contributors on a competitive team.

The guys I am keeping an eye on with the Sacto pick are:

Clarke - if he can learn to shoot, he could be an elite 4. Even without it, I just think he's a Marcus Smart-like "winning" piece
Doumbaya - always willing to take a chance on another versatile wing, has frame to be more of a PF than Brown or Tatum
Guice - big upside PG, may have been top guard selected if he had stayed healthy
White - my favorite college player not named Zion this year, think he's a 15 year vet
Porter - if we are gonna take a C, he's my guy. Get him in a pro conditioning program and under Al's wing and you could have Horford-lite in a couple years. Super-skilled and well-rounded, just love the way he plays.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#649 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Don't forget there will be some young bigs in free agency, too - Trey Lyles and Dragan Bender would be great Horford under-studies for cheap.

Weird draft - do we have four picks, or three? Are we keeping any, trading some, trading all of them? Seems like there will be a few sliders this year, too.

Best-case, I think, is that the MEM pick rolls over, we trade it to NOP with Yabu, Tatum, Smart-

Or we deal Tatum, Brown, Yabu, and a sign-and-traded piece or two (I don't think we've passed the deadline yet to give a "two year" MLE), draft three rookies, and hold on to the MEM pick-

Kyrie/(Rozier?)
Smart/Langford/Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Hayward/Ojeleye
Davis/(Morris?)/Theis/Doumbouya
Horford/Baynes/Williams
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach

Post#650 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Tiebreakers
Tiebreakers for teams with matching records will be decided on Friday, April 12. Below are all the tiebreaker scenarios and where they stand in the pecking order. The ties will be broke via coin flips and will officially set the pre-lottery order.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Phoenix Suns are tied with the second-worst record in the NBA at 19-63. A tiebreaker will be used on which team will enter the lottery at the second and third positions.
The Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans and Dallas Mavericks (whose pick will be shipped to Atlanta and is protected 1-5 this year) are tied with records of 33-49. Tiebreakers will be used to decide which teams will enter the lottery at the seventh, eighth and ninth positions.
The Charlotte Hornets, Miami Heat and Sacramento Kings (whose pick belongs to the Boston Celtics and is top-1 protected) share 39-43 records. Tiebreakers will decide which teams will enter the lottery at the 12th, 13th and 14th positions.
The Brooklyn Nets and Orlando Magic share 42-40 records. A tiebreaker will be used to decide which team picks 16th and which team picks 17th.
The Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Clippers (whose pick belongs to the Boston Celtics) share 48-34 records. Tiebreakers will be used to determine the 18th, 19th and 20th picks of the draft.
The Boston Celtics and Oklahoma City Thunder both ended the season at 49-33. Tiebreakers will be used to decide which team picks 21 and which teams picks 22.
The Portland Trail Blazers and Houston Rockets (whose pick belongs to Cleveland) shared 53-29 records. Tiebreakers will be used to determine the 25th and 26th picks of the draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-order-and-tiebreakers-knicks-cavs-and-suns-lock-up-best-lottery-odds-bucks-pick-last-in-first-round/
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach

Post#651 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:40 am

If you want to watch the tiebreakers, they start around 4:40 Friday.

Go Suns. Go Memphis. Go Kings. Go Clippers. Go Celtics, and probably Portland.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#652 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 am

in the ranges you're possibly drafting, these are the guys I'd target;

9th

Brandon Clarke
Sekou Doumbouya
Coby White

12-14th

Goga Bitadze
Talen Horton-Tucker
Tyler Herro
PJ Washington

18-20th and 21th (your own pick)

Grant Williams
Jontay Porter
Ignas Brazdeikis
Chuma Okeke
Matisse Thybulle
Kevin Porter Jr.
Isaiah Joe

52nd

Joshua Obiesie
Deividas Sirvydis
Yovel Zoosman
Sergi García
Alen Smailagic
Luka Samanic
Didi Louzada

Killian Tillie
John Konchar
Dean Wade
Juwan Morgan
Jordan Nwora
Ky Bowman
Terence Davis
Charles Matthews
Cody Martin

Suffice to say that if anybody from the previous group slides and is available at the next juncture, you also consider them, I'd draft at every spot and might consider trading down or out, getting a future 2nd for moving down a few spots it's smart in this class, or getting a future pick if somebody wants in at a certain range too

I'd not trade up at all, unless maybe maybe, if Jarrett Culver drops a bit and you can make a move to secure him, and even then I think I'd not burn any extra pick really, not a likely scenario anyway

There is also a few likely undrafted guys that are going to be good, I'd be rooting for the Memphis pick to not convey to be honest
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#653 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Fischella wrote:in the ranges you're possibly drafting, these are the guys I'd target;

9th

Brandon Clarke
Sekou Doumbouya
Coby White

12-14th

Goga Bitadze
Talen Horton-Tucker
Tyler Herro
PJ Washington

18-20th and 21th (your own pick)

Grant Williams
Jontay Porter
Ignas Brazdeikis
Chuma Okeke
Matisse Thybulle
Kevin Porter Jr.
Isaiah Joe

52nd

Joshua Obiesie
Deividas Sirvydis
Yovel Zoosman
Sergi García
Alen Smailagic
Luka Samanic
Didi Louzada

Killian Tillie
John Konchar
Dean Wade
Juwan Morgan
Jordan Nwora
Ky Bowman
Terence Davis
Charles Matthews
Cody Martin

Suffice to say that if anybody from the previous group slides and is available at the next juncture, you also consider them, I'd draft at every spot and might consider trading down or out, getting a future 2nd for moving down a few spots it's smart in this class, or getting a future pick if somebody wants in at a certain range too

I'd not trade up at all, unless maybe maybe, if Jarrett Culver drops a bit and you can make a move to secure him, and even then I think I'd not burn any extra pick really, not a likely scenario anyway

There is also a few likely undrafted guys that are going to be good, I'd be rooting for the Memphis pick to not convey to be honest

I like Clarke a lot. My problem is that he’s not materially different from a guy like Robert Williams and, after seeing Williams play, I question how Clarke would fit on this team.

Clarke had a more impressive statistical season and appears better than Williams, but he is smaller, older and played in a worse conference against weaker opponents. With so many similar talents in the 5-15 range, fit becomes more of a concern to me.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#654 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Clarke is different than Williams, Bob is a Center, I think Clarke has enough nuance and skills to his game to be a face-up player in time and defend 2 through 4

I'd not worry about fit at all, Clarke is the 4th best prospect in this class to me pretty clearly, esp considering how his future contracts are likely going to be
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#655 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:50 pm

I think my favorite prospects in the ‘we could pick or conceivably trade for’ range are Hunter, White, Doumboya and Bol.

I still have concerns about all of them:

-Hunter cant dribble
-White struggled vs Duke/UVA/Florida state, teams that can throw NBA caliber athletes or defenders against him
-Doumboya doesnt have the most impressive statistical profile and I question his NBA fit
-Bol has scary injury concerns and I worry about his size/frame with his skinny legs

This is a pretty crappy draft, to be honest—reminds me a ton of 2013. Some late picks will hit, but its a complete crapshoot on finding them.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#656 » by jmr07019 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:

I'm just not thrilled with taking another 1st rounder on a center after Timelord last year. Williams looks like a real keeper, and with Horford & Baynes around, bringing in another true center seems like there's no chance that kid will contribute for 2-3 years. Besides that, it usually takes centers 2-3 years to become reasonably good contributors on a competitive team.

The guys I am keeping an eye on with the Sacto pick are:

Clarke - if he can learn to shoot, he could be an elite 4. Even without it, I just think he's a Marcus Smart-like "winning" piece
Doumbaya - always willing to take a chance on another versatile wing, has frame to be more of a PF than Brown or Tatum
Guice - big upside PG, may have been top guard selected if he had stayed healthy
White - my favorite college player not named Zion this year, think he's a 15 year vet
Porter - if we are gonna take a C, he's my guy. Get him in a pro conditioning program and under Al's wing and you could have Horford-lite in a couple years. Super-skilled and well-rounded, just love the way he plays.

I want another center with 1 of the picks. I see 2 centers who are over 30 and can opt out and leave. We also have a rookie who couldn't get off the bench, earned a nickname because he was always late and was drafted in a slot where the most likely result is bust. I agree Williams has shown some potential but I'm not counting on him. He also seems like the type who would benefit from competition.
Show Love Spread Love
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#657 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Fischella wrote:Clarke is different than Williams, Bob is a Center, I think Clarke has enough nuance and skills to his game to be a face-up player in time and defend 2 through 4

I'd not worry about fit at all, Clarke is the 4th best prospect in this class to me pretty clearly, esp considering how his future contracts are likely going to be

I see Clarke as having the skill set of a center and the size of a wing. Defensively, he’s versatile/strong enough to have a nice role in the league but I just dont see what his role is other than garbage man on offensive.

He could definitely be the 4th best prospect, but thats more reflective of this draft as a whole, IMO.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#658 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:02 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Fischella wrote:Clarke is different than Williams, Bob is a Center, I think Clarke has enough nuance and skills to his game to be a face-up player in time and defend 2 through 4

I see Clarke as having the skill set of a center and the size of a wing. Defensively, he’s versatile/strong enough to have a nice role in the league but I just dont see what his role is other than garbage man on offensive.

He could definitely be the 4th best prospect, but thats more reflective of this draft as a whole, IMO.

Clarke is a good driver, for a 4 too, has insane touch on floaters and good ability to get by people and finish, just overall his body control is insane, he is not an unskilled player, at all, his shot also has improved incredibly over his red-shirt year, will it ever be elite? probably not, but I'd bet he gets to good enough considering his touch on runners (the synergy numbers are great)

He also has pretty good numbers on unassisted 2pt jumpers, basically mid-range pull-ups, something that other guys that have developed as shooters (John Collins, Siakam) also did
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#659 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Fischella wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Clarke is a good driver, for a 4 too, has insane touch on floaters and good ability to get by people and finish, just overall his body control is insane, he is not an unskilled player, at all, his shot also has improved incredibly over his red-shirt year, will it ever be elite? probably not, but I'd bet he gets to good enough considering his touch on runners (the synergy numbers are great)

He also has pretty good numbers on unassisted 2pt jumpers, basically mid-range pull-ups, something that other guys that have developed as shooters (John Collins, Siakam) also did

Perhaps your right; its hard to evaluate guys who completely overhaul their jumper and I have no idea if he’ll continue to progress with it or not. He showed immense progress at Gonzaga relative to SJ State.

I do like him a lot as a prospect, FWIW. He also has a history of performing well vs teams with NBA caliber defenders/athletes, which bodes well for his future.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#660 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:50 pm

It's coin flip day!! Will it be televised?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics