ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

3pt %
General Manager
And1: 2,675

Re: Jaylen Brown thread 

Post#461 » by 3pt % » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:32 am

Condensed version of my thoughts..drive that **** JB.
Captain_Caveman wrote:Probably couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the C and the A.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#462 » by cloverleaf » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:54 am

Refining those trickier to-the-basket moves against second stringers is probably just the experience Brown needs right now. Kyrie seems pretty certain he wants a player with Smart's skillset teamed in the backcourt with him, but we know Stevens has no trouble finding 30 minutes for a deserving player off the bench--so Brown could continue to establish himself from just where he is right now.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#463 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Dec 8, 2018 11:58 am

thelarrybirdx wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Honestly I wonder if part of his struggles came from coaching.

When he came into the league I remember in summer league he was a foul drawing machine and wanted to destroy anyone in his way.

Haven’t seen much of that at all since. I don’t buy that his handle isn’t good enough. Sure he doesn’t have a real tight handle but he has the explosiveness to get to the rim if someone respects his three.

His issue was that he was playing terribly.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Think you missed the point.

I wasn't saying he wasn't playing terribly. He has been.

I was questioning if he has been coached too much into being a spot up 3 point shooter to the detriment of the rest of his game. When he came into the league I remember him in summer league relentlessly attacking the rim to the point where he probably did it too much. In actual NBA games he's settled for jumpers way more despite being athletic enough to get to the basket, even with his shoddy handle.

He then starts the year shooting poorly from deep and looks horrible. Why wasn't he driving more instead?

And he isn't the only one. The whole team sucks as a whole at getting to the basket and drawing fouls.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#464 » by cloverleaf » Sat Dec 8, 2018 12:36 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Honestly I wonder if part of his struggles came from coaching.

When he came into the league I remember in summer league he was a foul drawing machine and wanted to destroy anyone in his way.

Haven’t seen much of that at all since. I don’t buy that his handle isn’t good enough. Sure he doesn’t have a real tight handle but he has the explosiveness to get to the rim if someone respects his three.

I was questioning if he has been coached too much into being a spot up 3 point shooter to the detriment of the rest of his game. When he came into the league I remember him in summer league relentlessly attacking the rim to the point where he probably did it too much. In actual NBA games he's settled for jumpers way more despite being athletic enough to get to the basket, even with his shoddy handle.

He then starts the year shooting poorly from deep and looks horrible. Why wasn't he driving more instead?

And he isn't the only one. The whole team sucks as a whole at getting to the basket and drawing fouls.

I suspect it is more a matter of those who have had success at the 3 wanting to shoot it more instead of risking a Hayward injury by driving harder and more often than they think they have to. And the coaching staff not getting them to drive more. (So I agree with you on pointing the finger there some.) Whether it was JB on his own or as a result of his coaching going to the hole more now that his 3 has failed him, he IMO has got the religion and is back on track.
thelarrybirdx
Starter
And1: 1,962

Post#465 » by thelarrybirdx » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:45 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
thelarrybirdx wrote:

Yeah sorry I think I should've clarified more lol. I was trying to say that IMO coaching wasn't the reason why he was missing wide open shots, not playing good defense, making poor decisions, etc.
DaTruth34
Junior
And1: 314

Post#466 » by DaTruth34 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:30 pm

He was playing without passion. He said yesterday. And he wasnt the only one

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#467 » by cloverleaf » Sun Dec 9, 2018 8:19 am

3-3 from 3 a very good sign from him. Suddenly he's got his scoring seriously on track.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#468 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Dec 9, 2018 10:28 am

Haven’t watched Chicago game yet, but just saw clip on Instagram where Jaylen caught the ball in motion, dribbled behind his back, spun, drove, stepped across the same defender and laid the ball in. That’s where his development has been going, that’s the next step that gets the comparisons to people like Jimmy Butler - smooth handles, fluid, in rhythm, linking together multiple moves reactively. Not sure Jeff Green has made that play in his life. Fascinating to see the sudden growth spurt come right after the slump, wonder if they’re connected.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#469 » by cloverleaf » Sun Dec 9, 2018 11:47 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Haven’t watched Chicago game yet, but just saw clip on Instagram where Jaylen caught the ball in motion, dribbled behind his back, spun, drove, stepped across the same defender and laid the ball in. That’s where his development has been going, that’s the next step that gets the comparisons to people like Jimmy Butler - smooth handles, fluid, in rhythm, linking together multiple moves reactively. Not sure Jeff Green has made that play in his life. Fascinating to see the sudden growth spurt come right after the slump, wonder if they’re connected.

I'd imagine the combination of feeling he needs to push himself at the same time he just puts it all out there, their having had the two breaks with a chance for more practice, and going up against second stringers off the bench all have combined to make a difference.

But it seems as if the big decision to go to the basket (and for a time abandon his uncooperative 3pt shot) was actually made just before he got hurt. Seeing how much better that worked presumably really sunk in while he was out, too.

He, Tatum and Rozier apparently all really want to be good (and of course Tatum already really is), so I think it is fair to expect they will keep improving, too.

Off topic, but I loved seeing Theis's game last night too--he should have more opportunities to make an impact on this team.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#470 » by djFan71 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 1:11 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Haven’t watched Chicago game yet, but just saw clip on Instagram where Jaylen caught the ball in motion, dribbled behind his back, spun, drove, stepped across the same defender and laid the ball in. That’s where his development has been going, that’s the next step that gets the comparisons to people like Jimmy Butler - smooth handles, fluid, in rhythm, linking together multiple moves reactively. Not sure Jeff Green has made that play in his life. Fascinating to see the sudden growth spurt come right after the slump, wonder if they’re connected.

I'd imagine the combination of feeling he needs to push himself at the same time he just puts it all out there, their having had the two breaks with a chance for more practice, and going up against second stringers off the bench all have combined to make a difference.

But it seems as if the big decision to go to the basket (and for a time abandon his uncooperative 3pt shot) was actually made just before he got hurt. Seeing how much better that worked presumably really sunk in while he was out, too.

He, Tatum and Rozier apparently all really want to be good (and of course Tatum already really is), so I think it is fair to expect they will keep improving, too.

Off topic, but I loved seeing Theis's game last night too--he should have more opportunities to make an impact on this team.

Had a little bit of both Jaylens tonight. First half he kinda drifted and didn't impact the game much at all. Then he lit it up the 2nd half when the game was over. Nice to see the 3s go down, and that spin/euro-step finish was fabulous. Free throws have been encouraging lately - getting more of them and actually making them. 5 boards, 3 assists tonight. Of course, he missed a dunk as well and gave up a few consecutive buckets to Blakeney in one stretch. So, a little bit of everything from the Jaylen bag. Overall, though, getting back to what we expected. I think he knows his role a little better now and can focus.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#471 » by cloverleaf » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:27 pm

djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Had a little bit of both Jaylens tonight. First half he kinda drifted and didn't impact the game much at all. Then he lit it up the 2nd half when the game was over. Nice to see the 3s go down, and that spin/euro-step finish was fabulous. Free throws have been encouraging lately - getting more of them and actually making them. 5 boards, 3 assists tonight. Of course, he missed a dunk as well and gave up a few consecutive buckets to Blakeney in one stretch. So, a little bit of everything from the Jaylen bag. Overall, though, getting back to what we expected. I think he knows his role a little better now and can focus.

Last year he so often started strong, then trailed off. Still good to see him back on the path, however.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#472 » by Patsfan1081 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 2:35 pm

djFan71 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

He's obviously a player that goes off momentum. He should be looking to attack the basket first thing every game to get things going. There should be no reason to not get to the line a ton either, he needs to force contact more. But yeah, the three assists were nice, no tunnel vision.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#473 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Dec 9, 2018 7:38 pm

He’s going to have bad games again - the point of that play was that he showed something we haven’t really seen before - he didn’t just light it up with easy dunks and open threes.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#474 » by GuyClinch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:20 am

No offense but its the NBA - these guys all have fancy moves in their bag of tricks. They were up so much they were trying to bring them out - like Terry's attempted dunk from outer space.. Jaylen always had fancy moves - saw some video of him clowning on some 'regular' guy - who was actually like a college level rotation guy..

Same with Smart - most of the time he has no fancy moves - but every once in a while he will bring something out.. i am a Jaylen fan - but that's not a breakthrough for him. He always had that...
DaTruth34
Junior
And1: 314

Post#475 » by DaTruth34 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

GuyClinch wrote:No offense but its the NBA - these guys all have fancy moves in their bag of tricks. They were up so much they were trying to bring them out - like Terry's attempted dunk from outer space.. Jaylen always had fancy moves - saw some video of him clowning on some 'regular' guy - who was actually like a college level rotation guy..

Same with Smart - most of the time he has no fancy moves - but every once in a while he will bring something out.. i am a Jaylen fan - but that's not a breakthrough for him. He always had that...
Uhmmm... Jaylen can do stuff like that on the move. He is much more complicated for him making btm in static situation. Half of his problems are about confidence.
Anyway, you never saw moves like that from Bradley or JC or other role players.

Smart is a unique player. Smart is a talented guy much more then tipical role player

GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#476 » by GuyClinch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Bradley has some sick moves of his own.. So don't agree that Bradley can't do fancy shots. All these NBA guys have an arsenal of pretty sick moves.

Now if JB starts doing stuff like that on a regular basis - that's special - don't get me wrong. Another guy that had some pretty slick moves was JWilliams. But in NBA games he was pretty vanilla.

Either way its a very big mistake to think that these guys can't do alot more on the court then you see in games. Baynes for example didn't suddenly learn how to shoot 3s. He had that shot - just didn't use it in games yet. It's the NBA these guys all have sick skills.

Guy with the best moves on the team is of course Kyrie. He is some kind of basketball god. But its not like Smart and TRozier can't emulate nearly all his moves. They just can't do it in as many game situations and with the same level of success.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#477 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25502202/jaylen-brown-new-journey-why-important-boston-celtics-nba

Jackie is good, but she really loves to take a big **** [sorry for vulgarity] on whatever the Celtics have going on.

"It's probably been the hardest thing I've had to deal with so far in my career," Brown says. "Just coming from a position where you had so much responsibility, and now that responsibility is lessened. Expectations have been raised, but your responsibility goes down, so it's hard to reach those expectations when you aren't being asked to do as much.

"It's been a challenge. It's going to continue to be a challenge. It's all about your mindset, so that's what I'm focusing on."

In his three games as a reserve, Brown has appeared more aggressive, averaging 21 points and five rebounds. He has attempted 17 free throws (5.67 per game vs. 2.25 as a starter) and is shooting 56.8 percent from the floor. Brown, who is often so quiet in the locker room, is aware that his docile demeanor could mask his competitiveness.

A. He's clearly demoralized about being given a smaller role.

B. Jackie doesn't make much of his last three games off the bench, even though they've been the best games of his career.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#478 » by cloverleaf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25502202/jaylen-brown-new-journey-why-important-boston-celtics-nba

Jackie is good, but she really loves to take a big **** [sorry for vulgarity] on whatever the Celtics have going on.

"It's probably been the hardest thing I've had to deal with so far in my career," Brown says. "Just coming from a position where you had so much responsibility, and now that responsibility is lessened. Expectations have been raised, but your responsibility goes down, so it's hard to reach those expectations when you aren't being asked to do as much.

"It's been a challenge. It's going to continue to be a challenge. It's all about your mindset, so that's what I'm focusing on."

In his three games as a reserve, Brown has appeared more aggressive, averaging 21 points and five rebounds. He has attempted 17 free throws (5.67 per game vs. 2.25 as a starter) and is shooting 56.8 percent from the floor. Brown, who is often so quiet in the locker room, is aware that his docile demeanor could mask his competitiveness.

A. He's clearly demoralized about being given a smaller role.

B. Jackie doesn't make much of his last three games off the bench, even though they've been the best games of his career.

She's good because she's not just a pom-pom girl (or boy), but she's fair -- so she can really get athletes to open up. And she gave a fair representation of his three games off the bench. No dumping on Jackie!!!
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#479 » by cloverleaf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 am

Bravo, Kyrie, for cuffing the embarrassingly mopey and self-absorbed young pup here:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251906/Kyrie-Irving-Challenges-Jaylen-Brown-To-Overcome-Early-Struggles
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#480 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:27 pm

DaTruth34 wrote:
GuyClinch wrote:No offense but its the NBA - these guys all have fancy moves in their bag of tricks. They were up so much they were trying to bring them out - like Terry's attempted dunk from outer space.. Jaylen always had fancy moves - saw some video of him clowning on some 'regular' guy - who was actually like a college level rotation guy..

Uhmmm... Jaylen can do stuff like that on the move. He is much more complicated for him making btm in static situation. Half of his problems are about confidence.
Anyway, you never saw moves like that from Bradley or JC or other role players.

Smart is a unique player. Smart is a talented guy much more then tipical role player

I hear your point, Pete - but to my eye it was new for him and in a different category than Brian Scalabrine's YMCA wizardry. I could be wrong - but that's what I'm seeing - he's usually stiff on his drives, he takes a second and a half to decide on a move and then locks it in. Confidence is probably part of it but it's also the area of his game where he's needed to drill the most. And it's clear now he was pressing as a starter, because he knew he would get fewer looks and he wanted to use them to show he deserved a larger role.

Return to Boston Celtics