ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Jaylen Brown thread 

Post#1141 » by cloverleaf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:17 am

Bill Bradley wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
rd26 wrote:It's a shame, but it's obvious to me that JB is not in Bostons plans now or ever.

Zero effort made to develop his game, or even prop up his trade value.

They had him starting in what had been a massive deflation of his value until they brought him off the bench and he eventually built it back up again. And makes little sense to say he's not in their plans but they aren't bothering with his trade value, since this would be the obvious offseason to trade him if he weren't in their plans.

Him starting didn't deflate his value. He performed better as a starter last season than off the bench. He also seems to perform well against good competition. He just had a terrible start to the season.

Obviously I was talking about him starting at the beginning of this season. His performance last year is what inflated his value, then his disastrous early season this year deflated it back down again. But he's been doing better of late again (except for his dip in February). It was when he was still starting that he hurt his value, so it is hard to ding the C's for that. My guess is that he thought he had developed his 3-point shot enough that he didn't focus on it (and other fundamentals) consistently enough last summer. Then when he got into camp and it failed him, his game fell apart for a time until he got the right repetitions under his belt again. My guess is that he'll handle this offseason better.

The hyperbole about him not being in their plans and being unfairly treated is IMO baseless hysteria.

What is striking about his performance to me is how efficiently he scores in his good stretches even while only deciding that he's going to the basket back before he begins his drive and then plowing into whatever traffic might be there without even attempting to see or be aware of what better opportunities his teammates might be in a position for being passed to. It is as if he has absolute tunnel vision in those circumstances.

Look at Russell, Oladipo, and other highly touted young players who can take most or all of their rookie contract to pull their game together at this level. Give Brown another year of plowing into traffic as he does and he might be able to see and react better to his teammates on the floor, which will really take his game to another level.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#1142 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
shawn unkempt
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,999

Post#1143 » by shawn unkempt » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:45 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

That quote is a perfect example of this guy's faux intellectualism.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#1144 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:59 pm

shawn unkempt wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why is it "faux intellectualism"?

Not trolling. Just honestly asking.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
UHar_Vinnie
Bench Warmer
And1: 425

Post#1145 » by UHar_Vinnie » Mon Apr 1, 2019 9:18 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh, BFD. I like to play with myself, too.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1146 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 1, 2019 9:18 pm

shawn unkempt wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#1147 » by K For Three » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:13 am

Bumping back up.

A lot more Jaylen coming again with Smart out.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#1148 » by PtruthP34 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:10 am

Jaylen’s physicality and forcefulness will be hugely needed in the playoffs. This guy is not afraid of the big stage and knows how to assert himself and make big plays when this team has its back against the wall. We saw him do this many times this season as well as through last years playoffs including in the ECF vs LeBron. We don’t need him to carry us for entire games but I love JB’s ability to turn it on when needed and electrify the crowd!
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1149 » by captain green » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:45 am

Still my favorite current celtic. I've played several fames of chess by myself if you can memorize moves and counter moves it improves your immediate reaction time and strategic planning I'm telling you he is on his way to being a great player.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1150 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm shocked him and Kyrie aren't closer. Both a bit of weirdos. :lol:

I expect big things from him in the playoffs.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#1151 » by K For Three » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 am

Think Jaylen will be the playoff X factor. Most think it might be Gordon (it goes without saying, it's Gordon Hayward and eyes are following his every move). And I naturally expect Horford and Irving to be great when they have to be.

But man what a rough season for Brown. He started the season AWFUL, but got hot once the new year hit. But still was often shafted in minutes it seemed and in the dog house.

Tatum always has over shadowed him in the youth golden boy department and Smart stole his job and Kyrie even seemed to prefer Smart.

And hell Morris even shoved him.

BIG opportunity for Brown to make his stamp again and it sounds like he could be starting again. He needs to unleash something in these playoffs.......

Hell I picked on the guy enough. Hoping he can get back to the top again.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,106

Post#1152 » by La Flame » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty sure they were close when Kyrie first arrived, seems like that has changed this season
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1153 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:56 am

La Flame wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pretty sure they were close when Kyrie first arrived, seems like that has changed this season

True, they should be best buddies, tho. I mean they both weird and spew a lots of nonsense at times especially in interviews.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#1154 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am

That GQ interview is pretty dumb. I think the chess bit is probably more on the interviewer than Jaylen; playing against yourself is basically research. On the other hand, Jaylen's presumably the one who doesn't really know what a paradigm shift is; indeed, I'd guess he's never heard of Thomas Kuhn. (No doubt he would have if he'd actually graduated college ...)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1155 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:32 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:That GQ interview is pretty dumb. I think the chess bit is probably more on the interviewer than Jaylen; playing against yourself is basically research. On the other hand, Jaylen's presumably the one who doesn't really know what a paradigm shift is; indeed, I'd guess he's never heard of Thomas Kuhn. (No doubt he would have if he'd actually graduated college ...)

I'd guess fewer than 10% of college grads know who Thomas Kuhn was. "Paradigm shift" is a widely known cliche, however--especially in the tech world. But yeah, if you actually watched his talk at Harvard's Ed School, you'd see it as a massive embarrassment of preening ignorance --unless, apparently, you are a Celtics sports writer.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#1156 » by PtruthP34 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:That GQ interview is pretty dumb. I think the chess bit is probably more on the interviewer than Jaylen; playing against yourself is basically research. On the other hand, Jaylen's presumably the one who doesn't really know what a paradigm shift is; indeed, I'd guess he's never heard of Thomas Kuhn. (No doubt he would have if he'd actually graduated college ...)

I think that’s maybe being overly harsh. Jaylens use of the phrase in the context of technology, media, and human behavior seems fine. As cloverleaf said it’s become cliched. Per wiki:

“Even though Kuhn restricted the use of the term to the natural sciences, the concept of a paradigm shift has also been used in numerous non-scientific contexts to describe a profound change in a fundamental model or perception of events“

I thought he presented himself well enough in the interview. Maybe could have done better han Magic Tree House on that first question, but he defended it. Overall how would you like to see a 22 year old Jaylen Brown responds to these questions?
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,676

Post#1157 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Brown has alpha written all over him, hes in year 3 and a high lottery pick.

It's exactly why he doesnt get along with Irving because hes Irving's clone in the personality department.

Thinking you're an alpha when you're really a beta is what gets you in trouble.

Brown can legit go off for 30 or give you 6. You cant count on him.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#1158 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

I'd guess fewer than 10% of college grads know who Thomas Kuhn was. "Paradigm shift" is a widely known cliche, however--especially in the tech world. But yeah, if you actually watched his talk at Harvard's Ed School, you'd see it as a massive embarrassment of preening ignorance --unless, apparently, you are a Celtics sports writer.

Fair point. The second, business-y meaning of "paradigm shift" is pretty well-established now.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#1159 » by floyd » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Fair point. The second, business-y meaning of "paradigm shift" is pretty well-established now.

DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#1160 » by DoubleHappiness » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:11 am

Jaylen may or may not be a faux-intellectual, but playing chess against yourself is extremely standard.

Return to Boston Celtics