ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Re: Jaylen Brown thread 

Post#1181 » by keevsnick1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:08 am

Good too see Jaylen have a pretty big impact even when he wasn't doing much offensively. Only two points, but then again only took 5 shots one of which was in garbage time. Did seem a little anxious with the ball, almost jittery on offense. But then again so did almost everyone, feel like that will get better. Really seemed to relish the matchup on Bojan, did an excellent job of fighting through screens off ball. Messed up two rotations that I saw in the first quarter, but I don't recall him messing up anymore the final three quarters. Got his hand son a couple balls including knocking loose the one where Morris dove to the ground and stripped a guy form behind on a drive after he got beat. Without Smart he probably does more defensively than any other C's perimeter player in terms of guarding the initial action from the ball handler, but he also fights hard in the post when he gets switched on bigs. A very Marcus Smart type game for him, including a shove which I didn't mind. I'd rather he showed some emotion than revert to "floaty" Jaylen, and we had the game more or less out of reach.
sarcasma
Junior
And1: 249

Post#1182 » by sarcasma » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 am

Ive read on here about a Brown vs Kyrie beef. Can someone explain to me what happened? Can someone give me all the details and history?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#1183 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

Roddy wrote:
Valid wrote:Lmao at anyone trying to argue that Brown is as valuable as Smart.

He is not for sure. Doesn't have the passing ability and the awarness on defense.

The problem with Jaylen is his inconstancy. When he is having a good game on offense, he doesn't give a s*** on defense, and vice versa.
Today it was Jaylen the defender...

He's no Marcus Smart, but Jaylen Brown does have his good qualities.
Like has been said here, he struggles with consistency.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#1184 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am

sarcasma wrote:Ive read on here about a Brown vs Kyrie beef. Can someone explain to me what happened? Can someone give me all the details and history?

I think Kyrie was pissed at Brown cause reportedly he wasn't giving it 100% in games and practices cause of his changed role(ie bench).. Then obviously Kyrie took a few subtle shots at Brown in the media... Didn't say Brown's name but he meant Brown. I don't think Kyrie was completely right I don't think he was completely wrong either. I mean Irving himself has lacked effort at times.

I think the entire case is done with now. Brown's been playing very well. Didn't score much last game, but made Bogdanovic disappear from it, too.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#1185 » by jfs1000d » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 am

I don't care if the dude had 2 points. That was a championship level effort in game 1. He snuffed the life out of Bogdonovich.

Shows what he can do when he puyts his mind to it. His pts will come. If he does that on defense for the series, we are in good shape. We got plenty of scoring.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1186 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 pm

jfs1000d wrote:I don't care if the dude had 2 points. That was a championship level effort in game 1. He snuffed the life out of Bogdonovich.

Shows what he can do when he puyts his mind to it. His pts will come. If he does that on defense for the series, we are in good shape. We got plenty of scoring.

Bogdonovich is a scrub. Just because he led the offensively challenged Pacers post Oladipo in scoring at 18 ppg doesn't mean he's a hard guard. In truth, he's a one trick pony and very easy to guard. And Jaylen looked lost on switches and in team defense. I think people see the play where Sabonis made an unforced error and threw the ball away on that play where Jaylen was trailing Bogdonovich badly and out of place, that ended up in a steal, and they attribute that to Jaylen. The announcer erroneously did too, so his defenders run with it and downplay his atrocious offense saying he played well on defense when he really didn't. And even if did (he didn't), it's against a scrub. That wasn't Jaylen playing great defense. When locked in, Jaylen is an average on man defender and still a putrid team defender. That's when locked in. When he's sulking, he's a liability out there on both ends. This is the perfect matchup for Jaylen to showcase what he has for a potential trade. We're going to sweep the Pacers regardless of whether Jaylen plays great or not. But there's a real chance for him to open up some G.M.'s eyes and I hope he does it. He's going to demand the max and he won't be worth it. We have to ship him out before losing him for nothing.
DaTruth34
Junior
And1: 314

Post#1187 » by DaTruth34 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:11 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I don't care if the dude had 2 points. That was a championship level effort in game 1. He snuffed the life out of Bogdonovich.

Bogdonovich is a scrub. Just because he led the offensively challenged Pacers post Oladipo in scoring at 18 ppg doesn't mean he's a hard guard. In truth, he's a one trick pony and very easy to guard. And Jaylen looked lost on switches and in team defense. I think people see the play where Sabonis made an unforced error and threw the ball away on that play where Jaylen was trailing Bogdonovich badly and out of place, that ended up in a steal, and they attribute that to Jaylen. The announcer erroneously did too, so his defenders run with it and downplay his atrocious offense saying he played well on defense when he really didn't. And even if did (he didn't), it's against a scrub. That wasn't Jaylen playing great defense. When locked in, Jaylen is an average on man defender and still a putrid team defender. That's when locked in. When he's sulking, he's a liability out there on both ends. This is the perfect matchup for Jaylen to showcase what he has for a potential trade. We're going to sweep the Pacers regardless of whether Jaylen plays great or not. But there's a real chance for him to open up some G.M.'s eyes and I hope he does it. He's going to demand the max and he won't be worth it. We have to ship him out before losing him for nothing.
Ah ah ah ah ah

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk
Celticfan_N_FL
Analyst
And1: 1,023

Post#1188 » by Celticfan_N_FL » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

lol...so he's a liability on the court either way. :crazy:
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#1189 » by PtruthP34 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm

That’s what I’m talking talkin’ bout. Good game JB.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#1190 » by OldCeltics » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Brown was our #1 scorer in playoffs last year. He has the potential to be better than Tatum. Its just him trying, and being the best of himself.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1191 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:26 pm

OldCeltics wrote:Brown was our #1 scorer in playoffs last year. He has the potential to be better than Tatum. Its just him trying, and being the best of himself.

He's only better than Tatum if Tatum fails to reach his potential.

But JB came up big in an away game, and that was great to see. They still need him to keep working on his defensive intensity, focus and smarts through the postseason. If he can deliver on that he'll be very valuable, especially with his ability to chip in and occasionally come up big on offense, too.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#1192 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:38 pm

If he doesn't try to do too much -- anything that involves more than two dribbles is iffy -- and is engaged on defense/boards, then he makes a positive impact.

Running in transition (w/o the ball)
Occasional midrange isos
Right baseline drive off closeout
Catch-and-shoot threes
Cutting into the paint from the weakside

He can work on the other stuff (handles, passing, etc.) this summer, if he's still a Celtic.

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1193 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Also, 3 games in, he's leading the team with a .672 TS%. (Though light on usage at 14.9%.)
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,369

Post#1194 » by K For Three » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Brown was tremendous this series. Excited to see him vs. the Bucks where he has shined before.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1195 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Kyrie For Three wrote:Brown was tremendous this series. Excited to see him vs. the Bucks where he has shined before.

Game 1: 2-5-0 w/1 steal
Game 2: 6-9-1
Game 3: 23-7-1
Game 4: 13-6-1

"tremendous"

and I keep seeing how he "shut down" Bogdanovich. Well, the name of the game is producing more than your man. Here's Bog's stats:

Game 1: 12-2-1 w/2 steals
Game 2: 23-8-3 w/4 steals
Game 3: 15-5-4 w/2 steals
Game 4: 22-8-3

Four games, three assists. He doesn't create for others and barely for himself. He's dependent on his teammates giving him wide open threes. When he's streaky hot he fools people into thinking he's better than he is. When he doesn't hit them, he's a liability on both ends of the floor. You can cherry pick stats that show when he's guarding a man one on one without context how he's defending well but it doesn't show how his lazy switches and poor rotations leave guys wide open for shots. These conveniently won't get attributed to him because it'd ruin the narrative that he's a great defender. He isn't. He's barely average and ONLY on ball against the weaker offensive players.
DaTruth34
Junior

Post#1196 » by DaTruth34 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:40 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Kyrie For Three wrote:Brown was tremendous this series. Excited to see him vs. the Bucks where he has shined before.

"tremendous"

and I keep seeing how he "shut down" Bogdanovich. Well, the name of the game is producing more than your man. Here's Bog's stats:

Four games, three assists. He doesn't create for others and barely for himself. He's dependent on his teammates giving him wide open threes. When he's streaky hot he fools people into thinking he's better than he is. When he doesn't hit them, he's a liability on both ends of the floor. You can cherry pick stats that show when he's guarding a man one on one without context how he's defending well but it doesn't show how his lazy switches and poor rotations leave guys wide open for shots. These conveniently won't get attributed to him because it'd ruin the narrative that he's a great defender. He isn't. He's barely average and ONLY on ball against the weaker offensive players.
Ah ah ah ah

Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#1197 » by Baller1234a » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

"tremendous"

Bojan shot 36% in game 1,42% in game 2, 35% in game 3, 42% in game 4 all much lower than his season average of 49.7% shooting.

Maybe don’t just look at raw totals without any context. Anyone can put up good scoring numbers with that many shots.
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
DaTruth34
Junior

Post#1198 » by DaTruth34 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 pm

Before game 4 Jaylen was the best defender in the entire playoff in one on one situation statistically talking

cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1199 » by cloverleaf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:28 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

"tremendous"

Yeah, JB among the C's significantly in the negative on +/-, etc., for the series. The six C's with positive numbers (+22 up to Kyrie's +46) are their three AS's, JT, GH and TR.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1200 » by Roddy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:51 pm

Jaylen on defense :

Return to Boston Celtics