ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Re: Jaylen Brown thread 

Post#41 » by K For Three » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:30 am

Oh my God.

Read on Twitter

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/10/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_sa_1.html

But, as Brown said, he didn't pass out from hunger -- he and the Celtics still put together a great run. Presumably, Brad Stevens and the Celtics' training staff would prefer he eats during this upcoming postseason (imagine how good Brown would have been if he had a little protein), but maybe fasting works for him.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,106

Post#42 » by La Flame » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:54 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
La Flame wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:I’d say his floor is Jeff Green on Adderall - strong enough to post people up, agile enough to drive, and actually motivated, with an extra boost of athleticism.

Lol Jeff Green was already on adderall. It looked like every other game he was on the comedown

Haha, not my area.. I thought Green was benzos - & amphetamines would make him focused and alert

You are correct, but I was talking about the comedown/crash haha. Makes you feel really depressed and tired, sorta like Green used to play every other game :)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#43 » by cloverleaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Kyrie For Three wrote:Oh my God.

Read on Twitter

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/10/boston_celtics_jaylen_brown_sa_1.html

But, as Brown said, he didn't pass out from hunger -- he and the Celtics still put together a great run. Presumably, Brad Stevens and the Celtics' training staff would prefer he eats during this upcoming postseason (imagine how good Brown would have been if he had a little protein), but maybe fasting works for him.

Ramadan was early in 2018--smack in the middle of the playoffs. Just like he "experimented" with fasting in the Islamic style during Ramadan in 2017. And he tried to learn a little Arabic (counting). His business entirely, but it doesn't really seem like he's being straight with people.

(For those wondering, Ramadan runs May 5th through June 4th in 2019.)
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#44 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Are you trying to "out" Brown as a Muslim, or Islam-curious?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#45 » by cloverleaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Are you trying to "out" Brown as a Muslim, or Islam-curious?

Ha ha. I find it a little weird that he drops clues, such as now talking about his fasting-until-sundown episodes that precisely coincide with Ramadan the last two years and learning how to count a bit in Arabic. But he doesn't really explain. Tries to suggest it is just some sort of coincidental interest of his.

Again, entirely his business. But I find the limited partial hangout to be a bit odd. He is very guarded about parts of his life on a couple of levels. As is his prerogative. Maybe just a phase or two. Or maybe he'll present other sides of himself to us in the years ahead.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#46 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 pm

http://theundefeated.com/features/hakeem-olajuwons-most-impressive-ramadan-performances/

Hakeem did that - I could see Jaylen leaning towards Islam, or being drawn to fasting for health reasons - someone should let him know about the Silicon Valley bros drinking Soylent
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#47 » by cloverleaf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:http://theundefeated.com/features/hakeem-olajuwons-most-impressive-ramadan-performances/

Hakeem did that - I could see Jaylen leaning towards Islam, or being drawn to fasting for health reasons - someone should let him know about the Silicon Valley bros drinking Soylent

It's basically skipping lunch. Not that big a deal in the modern pantheon of diets.

But I agree. The NoI fits with his sense of politics and his personal commitment to being his best self.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#48 » by return2glory » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:05 pm

I hope Brown keeps improving but I’m still one of the few posters here that doesn’t think he is as good as people make him out to be. Superstar and all-star were words thrown so out by posters here when talking about Brown. If he keeps improving, maybe down the road he might make one or two all-star games and that’s a maybe to me.

Currently Brown is probably the 5 or 6 the best player on the team behind Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Rozier. As far as most improved played this year, that’s going to be a challenge because you need a lot of playing time to do that and I don’t think any Celtic player this year will be playing 32 minutes a game or more on average this this team is talented and deep.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,234

Post#49 » by Parasite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 pm

Brown has been overrated from the jump on this board and will continue to be. It is what it is.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#50 » by Edug27 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Parasite wrote:Brown has been overrated from the jump on this board and will continue to be. It is what it is.

He's not overrated. He's exactly what most people here say he is.The kid was a ton of potential. He's super athletic, his shot has drastically improved, he can defend and rebound well for his position, and he seems to have his head on straight. He definitely has all star potential down the road. Unfortunately for him, he's on a team where he's not a top option offensively, so the #'s won't jump up at you. But we all saw what he could do during the playoffs last year when he is a top scoring option.

The kid is good and will continue to grow. He's not Tatum, but I don't think anyone here thinks he is.
Parasite
Starter

Post#51 » by Parasite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Parasite wrote:Brown has been overrated from the jump on this board and will continue to be. It is what it is.

He's not overrated. He's exactly what most people here say he is.The kid was a ton of potential. He's super athletic, his shot has drastically improved, he can defend and rebound well for his position, and he seems to have his head on straight. He definitely has all star potential down the road. Unfortunately for him, he's on a team where he's not a top option offensively, so the #'s won't jump up at you. But we all saw what he could do during the playoffs last year when he is a top scoring option.

The kid is good and will continue to grow. He's not Tatum, but I don't think anyone here thinks he is.

Ummm there was a thread here asking who is the better player between Brown and Tatum and iirc Brown got a very nice chunk of the vote. Tatum won the poll but not by near as much as he should have. In other words, unanimously. So yes, Brown is massively overrated here. That poll shocked me actually with the lack of basketball knowledge a lot of people here seemingly have.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#52 » by Edug27 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Parasite wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Ummm there was a thread here asking who is the better player between Brown and Tatum and iirc Brown got a very nice chunk of the vote. Tatum won the poll but not by near as much as he should have. In other words, unanimously. So yes, Brown is massively overrated here. That poll shocked me actually with the lack of basketball knowledge a lot of people here seemingly have.

Was this before or after Tatum exploded onto the scene in the playoffs last year? I don't think many thought Tatum was be THIS good. That playoff run kind of opened everyones eyes. But Jaylen also balled out as well.
Parasite
Starter

Post#53 » by Parasite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Edug27 wrote:
Parasite wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Was this before or after Tatum exploded onto the scene in the playoffs last year? I don't think many thought Tatum was be THIS good. That playoff run kind of opened everyones eyes. But Jaylen also balled out as well.

It could’ve been. But I would think even before that it should be plainly obvious that Tatum was better.

Straight up, Jaylen has to improve his handles. That is by far my biggest pet peeve of his game and I’ve been killing him for that since he was drafted. I really haven’t seen too much improvement there, so it has really irked me. He could be a total stud if he had good handles.
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,106

Post#54 » by La Flame » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Right now I'd say he's projected to be a young Igoudala with a way better shot minus the playmaking
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,021

Post#55 » by GrandTheftRondo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Parasite wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
Parasite wrote:

It could’ve been. But I would think even before that it should be plainly obvious that Tatum was better.

Straight up, Jaylen has to improve his handles. That is by far my biggest pet peeve of his game and I’ve been killing him for that since he was drafted. I really haven’t seen too much improvement there, so it has really irked me. He could be a total stud if he had good handles.

His handles got much better last year. Still not where I'd like them to be but I think you've forgotten how often he would dribble himself into trouble in his rookie season.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#56 » by Big Joke Line » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 pm

To me more than his ball handling is that he misses way too many point blank opportunities on the drive or break still. Opportunities that someone with his athleticism should be converting. Handles he can work on but missed dunks, layups and bunnies that should be near automatic? How does he improve on that?
Hey Man, nice shot!
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#57 » by CeltsfaninDC » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Parasite wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Thanks Red. We were hoping you’d check in to school all of us younguns on how this game works. We were all just sitting here waiting for someone who really knew the game to give us some pointers.
Parasite
Starter

Post#58 » by Parasite » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Parasite wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Thanks Red. We were hoping you’d check in to school all of us younguns on how this game works. We were all just sitting here waiting for someone who really knew the game to give us some pointers.

If you couldn’t see that Tatum is a superior basketball player to Brown, I don’t know what to tell you.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#59 » by jfs1000d » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Brown's a terrific talent. The speed, power and athleticism at the 2-guard spot can be dominating. He can be a dominant 2-guard in this league. Your nuts if you don't think so.

Tatum is a future MVP candidate, that's my thoughts. But Brown is an all-star.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#60 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:14 pm

I don't know people keep comparing to Brown to Tatum. It's like comparing Pippen to Jordan. Pippen was a fantastic player in his own right but was never even close to Jordan. But together they were unstoppable.

Tatum is trending right now as ATG/HOF status so saying Brown isn't as good as him is a little silly. Brown will definitely make some all-star games but saying he sucks because he's on a loaded squad or not as good as Tatum is a little silly to me.

Return to Boston Celtics