ImageImageImage

Was Ainge Overthinking Things by not Trading for Kawhi

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,423

Was Ainge Overthinking Things by not Trading for Kawhi 

Post#1 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Let me first say I'm wasn't in the camp to trade Jaylen, Rozier and pick(a) for Kawhi (Im also not a GM or NBA Scout), but as we saw last night he's so impactful on his team. The Celtics had the assets to get him if they wanted him. Did Ainge overthink things by not pulling the trigger? Or was he right putting the long term plan first?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Re: Was Ainge Overthinking Things by not Trading for Kawhi 

Post#2 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:Let first say I'm wasn't in the camp to trade Jaylen, Rozier and pick(a) for Kawhi (Im also not a GM or NBA Scout), but as we saw last night he's so impactful on his team. The Celtics had the assets to get him if they wanted him. Did Ainge overthink things by not pulling the trigger? Or was he right putting the long term plan first?

The question wasn’t his talent, it was whether he’s going to stay. That question is still unanswered
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:Let first say I'm wasn't in the camp to trade Jaylen, Rozier and pick(a) for Kawhi (Im also not a GM or NBA Scout), but as we saw last night he's so impactful on his team. The Celtics had the assets to get him if they wanted him. Did Ainge overthink things by not pulling the trigger? Or was he right putting the long term plan first?

The question wasn’t his talent, it was whether he’s going to stay. That question is still unanswered

True but I think his health was a bigger question, sometimes you got to take a risk to reap the rewards. I'm not saying I would def do it but I'm having second thoughts.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:Let me first say I'm wasn't in the camp to trade Jaylen, Rozier and pick(a) for Kawhi (Im also not a GM or NBA Scout), but as we saw last night he's so impactful on his team. The Celtics had the assets to get him if they wanted him. Did Ainge overthink things by not pulling the trigger? Or was he right putting the long term plan first?

Long term plan first. Also we are good in the short term
Sign here
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#5 » by Homerclease » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

True but I think his health was a bigger question, sometimes you got to take a risk to reap the rewards. I'm not saying I would def do it but I'm having second thoughts.

I believe according to reload that our front office thought his injury was fine but they weren’t sure he’d commit to staying. That’s why talks never went any farther than they did
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,210

Post#6 » by Tyakack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Me personally, I would have taken the gamble because I truly believe he would have stayed after being here a year and most likely winning a championship. And I think he's so great that its worth the risk. That being said, I'm not mad we didn't pull the trigger. I understand both sides and I don't really disagree with either. I just think the gamble would have been worth it for a guy of his skill level, in his prime. I put him on the same level as AD. Regardless of who you think is better. He impacts the game that much to me.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Tyakack wrote:Me personally, I would have taken the gamble because I truly believe he would have stayed after being here a year and most likely winning a championship. And I think he's so great that its worth the risk. That being said, I'm not mad we didn't pull the trigger. I understand both sides and I don't really disagree with either. I just think the gamble would have been worth it for a guy of his skill level, in his prime. I put him on the same level as AD. Regardless of who you think is better. He impacts the game that much to me.

I'm not really mad either but watching him dominate last night has me a little concerned. Not only did we pass on him but he is having a direct impact on us competitively. It will make things fun for sure but also more difficult.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#8 » by Edug27 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:45 pm

If Boston doesn’t win with this group, then hindsight would say sure.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,887

Post#9 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:53 pm

If Leonard resigns in Toronto, they may have hit a home run; if he doesn't, then that group of players without Leonard would be an eighth seed at best.

Discussing this the day after we lost to the Raptors on their home court kind of clouds one's mind. Let's have this conversation again in mid-July 2019.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Scarletfire81 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:57 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:If Leonard resigns in Toronto, they may have hit a home run; if he doesn't, that group of players without Leonard would be an eighth seed at best.

Discussing this the day after we lost to the Raptors on their home court kind of clouds one's mind. Let's have this conversation again in mid-July 2019.

I somewhat agree but there is a strong chance we win it all this year if we have Kawhi. We could still win at all as constituted but our chances would be greater with Kawhi. So if we won it all and Kawhi leaves, its still worth it in my eyes. I guess we'll never know.

Although, if we win it with this team than none of this matters at all.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#11 » by JR Hawks » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Tyakack wrote:Me personally, I would have taken the gamble because I truly believe he would have stayed after being here a year and most likely winning a championship. And I think he's so great that its worth the risk. That being said, I'm not mad we didn't pull the trigger. I understand both sides and I don't really disagree with either. I just think the gamble would have been worth it for a guy of his skill level, in his prime. I put him on the same level as AD. Regardless of who you think is better. He impacts the game that much to me.

Thinking you can't resign someone is basically saying you yourself don't believe in the culture of your franchise.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#12 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't care, I think we're good enough to beat anybody if we play up to our potential. I don't think Kawhi looked all that good, he's still rusty, I think we outtalent the Raptors by a bit and outside of our team not mashing or injury I don't see a reason we don't beat them.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#13 » by brackdan70 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:09 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:If Leonard resigns in Toronto, they may have hit a home run; if he doesn't, that group of players without Leonard would be an eighth seed at best.

Well said We lost to the second best team in the east on the road...it’s going to happen. Can’t win them all.
Sign here
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#14 » by truth18 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:25 pm

I stanned for Kawhi hard in the thread we had.

No he wasn't. Toronto was in a unique situation in that they had peaked with their core and had no real way to improve. You could argue that it was worth the risk to Toronto even when KL leaves. Demar isn't a world beater.

We need Brown at the very least for future trade fodder. It wasn't worth losing him.
YOU LOSE
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#15 » by Gooner » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:I don't care, I think we're good enough to beat anybody if we play up to our potential. I don't think Kawhi looked all that good, he's still rusty, I think we outtalent the Raptors by a bit and outside of our team not mashing or injury I don't see a reason we don't beat them.

Exactly,there is no reason to look at talents on other teams when you have so much talent on your own team.This group of guys may have not just championship,but dynastic potential.Celtics look like Golden State's successors right now.They lost to Raptors,so what?It's only second game of the season,and i don't think anyone was expecting the season sweep against them.It's clear to me which team has more talent and more winning mentality.

Celtics didn't play all that well,and it was a 2 point game until Green hit that three with 2:27 to go.There is so much room for improvement right now,and when this team gets on full form,they are clearly the best in the east.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Post#16 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Depends on what the offer was I guess. If it was Brown based, I would had done that trade everyday all day. Tatum based? Probably not. Kawhi is one of my favorite players in the NBA, and I think he is the second best player in the NBA when healthy. I did want Ainge to trade for him pretty badly to be honest, but I (obviously) didn’t know where his health was at. Seeing him play, though, man, I can’t help but be a bit jealous since he looks pretty damn healthy to me. His decision making is on a completely different level than anyone on our team outside maybe Horford and Hayward.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#17 » by GoGreen » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Ehh, I think many of us are overthinking after 2 games. Kawhi is great but Danny has put together a deep, fantastic roster. Let's remember Steven's teams always start slow. They're figuring things out, and regret over not attaining kawhi is useless, especially considering how he acted in SA and his health situation.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,370

Post#18 » by K For Three » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:20 pm

I wanted him and wasn't afraid to say it during all those threads. I then have had to convince myself I didn't want him and still don't due to his attitude and lack of commitment. (like he wants LA for example etc.)

A lot of the rumored trades were some sort of combo of Brown/Rozier/Morris or that we mostly offered picks and not a legit starter? I got told no way should we ever lose Jaylen Brown......but even Brown was taken out of the game in Toronto and kinda shunned.

The AD stuff is slim happenings IMO at best but the Kawhi thing was there for the taking including some saying the Spurs wanted to deal with Boston.

It is what it is though. And I still won't be shocked if a guy or two is moved by the deadline since we have a lot of alpha minded dog role players who I think will be tough to keep happy all year with minutes if they don't get enough attention. Hoping they can all buy into the "Patriot way" or "Red Sox way" etc. etc. I hope it all works out though with the current group.

Just hope they work this out and in Brad I trust as usual. Might be a process. Still think this team should/can win the east but our starters will need to be healthy this time around since if anyone thinks we are winning the east with shot chucking backups again in a big game 7 is dreaming. This time instead of Lebron you are basically replacing him with the potential of Kawhi Leonard. And Toronto will be competition for the #1 seed likely again unlike the Cavs with Lebron who never gave a crap about it.

Getting Danny Green too was an underrated move for the Raptors.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#19 » by timpiker » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:44 pm

I don't think so. If Kawhi goes onto MVP and leads Toronto to the championship, I'd still say NO. He's a 1 year rental and to give up major assets for a 1 year rental is asinine. In my opinion.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#20 » by chrisab123 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:58 pm

2 games...It's 2 games.

That said Kawhi looked awesome last night. But its still only 2 games. Last night both teams played well then sloppy then the Raps played great at the end. So pretty much what we're going to find out is whoever has home court between Boston and Toronto will have a huge advantage in the playoffs. Just like normal.

Return to Boston Celtics