ImageImageImage

Was Ainge Overthinking Things by not Trading for Kawhi

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,058

Re: Was Ainge Overthinking Things by not Trading for Kawhi 

Post#41 » by London2Boston » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 pm

In the Summer when he goes to Los Angeles, you will see why he didn’t trade for him.
DevilsAvocado
Junior
And1: 264

Post#42 » by DevilsAvocado » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:58 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:Lol...if we traded Brown plus picks and Kawhi dips and then you factor in Irving could possibly leave too with that scenario, your 10+ years of contention will only be led by Tatum, Hayward, and Horford who is only getting older in a worst case scenario. Not worth the risk, we are fine as is. Don’t need 2 free agent stars in 2019 even though Kyrie pretty much said he’s staying but still that’s just too much to gamble on having 2 of those. It’s only 2 games, nothing to worry about. It’s not like we are expected to beat every good to great team on the road in the regular season.

I agree the Celtics are fine as is and it's really just wishful thinking at this point but I see this whole thing being not about the Celtics losing but more about knowing that physically and health wise Kawhi is able to still perform at a high level. During the off season the biggest issues were his health and him being a one year rental. The health question has been answered so the only variable left is him staying. In my opinion if it's Brown, filler and picks and you add Kawhi, that team is going to the finals and I wouldn't be surprised if they take it. If the Celtics win and topple the Warriors or even make it a competitive 7 game series, I could see everyone staying. If you can add AD somehow without giving up major pieces than it's game over for everyone else for a long long time. Dynasty type stuff.
Free will... it is a bitch.
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,372

Post#43 » by titlebound1 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
titlebound1 wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:
Thinking you can't resign someone is basically saying you yourself don't believe in the culture of your franchise.

Are you kidding me? We literally just took a shot with Kyrie and won him over. We did the same thing with KG.

We were not at all in the same position as Toronto. That team clearly peaked with the players they had. Boston had just started their climb. I seriously doubt he stays in Toronto. But even if he does, we're still better than them going forward as long as we keep progressing. They don't come close to matching our young talent

With regards to KG - Ainge made sure that Kg committed to the Celtics before the trade went down. He went to his house to negotiate his new contract before the trade call even went through the league. As for Kyrie - I think Ainge did his homework because in the conference call to discuss the trade, Danny said that Kyrie was open to sticking around long term. More of a risk than the KG trade, but he had more assurances that Kyrie was willing to stay than what he got from Kawhi's camp.

That's fair. But suggesting that the ownership doesn't have confidence in the franchise being able to win a player over is absurd. I think Danny weighed his options and decided not to break the bank for a chance to maybe win over a pretty weird dude who seems hell bent on going to LA and had already quit on a first class organization. The asking price from Boston would have been a lot higher than it would be for most teams

Danny did the right thing by sticking with our youth. Even we do consolidate eventually, AD is the prize. I'd take him 100 times out of 100 over KL
Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#44 » by Denisaur9 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Spurs had not interest in rebuilding and wanted an established All Star in return.

Trade wasn't anywhere near as close with he Celtics as you guys may think. GM of the Raptors Bobby Webster is who instigated it with RC Bufords assistant who he is very good friends with from his Orlando days.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/simmons-how-the-deal-was-done-the-raptors-long-road-to-acquire-kawhi-leonard/amp

Other articles supporting that the offer was pick based and Spurs didn't want that and Boston would have had issues matching salaries because they didn't want to part with there top 5.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2018/07/31/the-boston-celtics-kawhi-leonard-trade-san-antonio-spurs/amp/

Then there was this which is kind of a contradiction, station that an offer of Kyrie and a pick was offered for Kawhi.

I can see why Spurs would reject that with Murray as their top young player at PG, but Boston with Rozier and Smart at PG that would have been a good move both on 1yr deals.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/https-trello-com-c-s3bqhvdb-40348-lakers-news-la-plans-to-surround-lebron-james-with-tough-minded-playmakers/amp/

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L05 using RealGM mobile app
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#45 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Danny obviously looked into getting Kawhi but the minute Kawhi told us he wouldn't commit, why offer anything significant?

Again, AD is the goal. Always has been. Celtics and Lakers can blow away the market if AD becomes available.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,396

Post#46 » by K For Three » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Denisaur9 wrote:Spurs had not interest in rebuilding and wanted an established All Star in return.

Trade wasn't anywhere near as close with he Celtics as you guys may think. GM of the Raptors Bobby Webster is who instigated it with RC Bufords assistant who he is very good friends with from his Orlando days.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/simmons-how-the-deal-was-done-the-raptors-long-road-to-acquire-kawhi-leonard/amp

Other articles supporting that the offer was pick based and Spurs didn't want that and Boston would have had issues matching salaries because they didn't want to part with there top 5.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2018/07/31/the-boston-celtics-kawhi-leonard-trade-san-antonio-spurs/amp/

Then there was this which is kind of a contradiction, station that an offer of Kyrie and a pick was offered for Kawhi.

I can see why Spurs would reject that with Murray as their top young player at PG, but Boston with Rozier and Smart at PG that would have been a good move both on 1yr deals.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/https-trello-com-c-s3bqhvdb-40348-lakers-news-la-plans-to-surround-lebron-james-with-tough-minded-playmakers/amp/

Our more reliable board insider said all summer at times the Irving rumors in the deal were untrue. 100%. Same with anything Tatum related.

I don't think anyone knows what was exactly involved.

It's water under the bridge now but I am a fan of Kawhi sadly. :lol:
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by K For Three » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:21 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Danny obviously looked into getting Kawhi but the minute Kawhi told us he wouldn't commit, why offer anything significant?

Again, AD is the goal. Always has been. Celtics and Lakers can blow away the market if AD becomes available.

And what if the AD goal fails?
Denisaur9
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#48 » by Denisaur9 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Kyrie For Three wrote:
Denisaur9 wrote:Spurs had not interest in rebuilding and wanted an established All Star in return.

Our more reliable board insider said all summer at times the Irving rumors in the deal were untrue. 100%. Same with anything Tatum related.

I don't think anyone knows what was exactly involved.

It's water under the bridge now but I am a fan of Kawhi sadly.
Yeah we're thrilled to have to have him. I was surprised to see that article, didn't seem very reliable. I am very excited about this season and it's going to be a fun year and matchup between the Raptors and Celtics and I hope we get a playoff series, would be great for both teams. You guys have a great young core and it's always a great game. Hope Kawhi re-signs and hope Kyrie does the same with you guys and the development in Philly could make an exciting eastern conference.

Golden State will probably lose Klay Thompson and Cousins this summer lol

GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#49 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Kyrie For Three wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Danny obviously looked into getting Kawhi but the minute Kawhi told us he wouldn't commit, why offer anything significant?

Wait for the next guy. If not, stick with what you have. Everyone besides Horford and Baynes are young.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#50 » by Roddy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:51 pm

DevilsAvocado wrote:
Roddy wrote:Would you rather trade Brown + fillers + picks for AD or Kawhi ? I take AD everyday.

Is that what was rumored as the Spurs demands from the Celtics?
I think I probably would have pulled the trigger on that trade and hope to convince him to stay.
Is that generally accepted as what it would take to get AD?

I really don't know, just an idea. I remember this article :

The Celtics could use restricted free agent Marcus Smart in a trade if the guard agreed to a three-year contract for around $36 million; the contract would have to be a minimum of three years based on the rules for a sign-and-trade deal. Combined with Smart's salary (which would count just $6 million for trade matching purposes because of the base-year compensation rule), Brown, Morris and Yabusele, the finances would work for Leonard. In fact, that trade works (by $11,426) even if Leonard does not waive his 15 percent trade kicker that would add $3 million to his $20 million salary for next year.

So Smart + Brown + Morris + Yabu works. To me, you need to keep this guys for a trade with New Orleans.
DevilsAvocado
Junior
And1: 264

Post#51 » by DevilsAvocado » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Roddy wrote:
DevilsAvocado wrote:
Roddy wrote:Would you rather trade Brown + fillers + picks for AD or Kawhi ? I take AD everyday.

I think I probably would have pulled the trigger on that trade and hope to convince him to stay.

The Celtics could use restricted free agent Marcus Smart in a trade if the guard agreed to a three-year contract for around $36 million; the contract would have to be a minimum of three years based on the rules for a sign-and-trade deal. Combined with Smart's salary (which would count just $6 million for trade matching purposes because of the base-year compensation rule), Brown, Morris and Yabusele, the finances would work for Leonard. In fact, that trade works (by $11,426) even if Leonard does not waive his 15 percent trade kicker that would add $3 million to his $20 million salary for next year.

So Smart + Brown + Morris + Yabu works. To me, you need to keep this guys for a trade with New Orleans.

Ahh thanks for the clarification much appreciated!
Free will... it is a bitch.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,096

Post#52 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Roddy wrote:
DevilsAvocado wrote:

love our guys but all of them are complimentary at this point, you don't take any of that and say it's for win now unless it's for a team stacked like Cs. Spurs aren't stacked in that way, especially in the west. People hating on DD but he still is better than those players (hopefully JB gets there but that's only my feelings on his future, DD is now).
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#53 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am

This question would be easier to answer if we weren’t opening the season playing horrible basketball
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#54 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:26 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:

Wait for the next guy or trust that Ainge is going to take a guy with the Kings pick who can also play, and then add him to Tatum and Brown.

It is amazing to believe that if you stripped this team of all the max contract guys and players with more than 5 years of experience, we would still be a playoff team and be in a better position than more than half the teams in the league going forward.
GoCeltics123
RealGM

Post#55 » by GoCeltics123 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:32 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:

Wait for the next guy or trust that Ainge is going to take a guy with the Kings pick who can also play, and then add him to Tatum and Brown.

It is amazing to believe that if you stripped this team of all the max contract guys and players with more than 5 years of experience, we would still be a playoff team and be in a better position than more than half the teams in the league going forward.

And Kyrie, hopefully
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by K For Three » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:27 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Kyrie For Three wrote:

And Kyrie, hopefully

I'm a big fan of the Tatum/Irving pairing. And considering they both went to Duke and share an agent (who doesn't even represent many players) I would not be shocked if they are together for a while.
batabatuta
Pro Prospect
And1: 755

Post#57 » by batabatuta » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 am

AD is the goal. Somewhere along (the remaining picks + either Hayward or Brown + Smart + Morris plus filler) for AD. AD knows Boston is the best place for him. He's just playing his cards right now to see how the current team works and how the team can gel once he gets incorporated (before he tells mgmt he wants out) because obviously he wants to be the star of the team.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,930

Post#58 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:49 am

No. Genuine worries about his leg, what happened to him wasn't some minor thing. Then you add in the fact he won't commit to the team. There would have been a chance we could get him and convince him Boston is the place for him, but that's a big risk to take and the Spurs weren't going to give him to us for peanuts. He wasn't like Kyrie who didn't really have a place in mind when leaving, he just wanted a fresh start.

I think the roster we have is already really special, especially if Tatum turns into the star he's looking like in two of the first three games.

The Raptors gave up Derozan to get him. I'm not a big Derozan fan but he still is an All-star level player, so imagine what we would have had to have given up to get Kawhi. The Spurs aren't interested in picks or young prospects. And I don't think getting him does anything to drastically change our chances of beating the Warriors juggernaut.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#59 » by radcot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:48 pm

I'd wait on the shoulda-coulda until our current roster starts playing up to its capabilities. They are a LONG way from doing that at the moment.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#60 » by OldCeltics » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:51 pm

He wouldn't sign. duck Kawai

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Return to Boston Celtics