ImageImageImage

Is Tatum untouchable. ?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Re: Is Tatum untouchable. ? 

Post#481 » by keevsnick1 » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:45 pm

PierceFan4ever wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
Tatumfor2 wrote:

This sums up how I feel. I'm pretty sick of the Carmelo Anthony comparisons too. When did Anthony ever play defense? JT is steadily improving his assist rate as well. He's averaging 3.5 per over his last 10 games. I'm not sure if Anthony ever pulled that off.

Tatum is a better defender than Carmelo for sure, but I have been pretty disappointed with him on that end this season. I don't think he's much better than an average wing defender. He's lucky he's on a team with like 3 or 4 superior defensive options on the wing.

I guess I'd sum up Tatum this way, I'd love to keep him. But I'm not gonna be devastated if he's the main piece in a trade for a top 7 guy like AD.

I disagree. I personally think he’s the best wing defender on the team overall. He may not be as good as a defender as JB when he’s locked in guarding man to man, but he’s a much better team defender and rarely gets lost guarding his man. I think he’s arguably better this season than last defensively.

Wow. Honestly I think that's crazy. Jaylen is better on the whole, sure he loses focus sometimes but so does Tatum. He loses his man on a back cut or drifts off a shooter at least a couple times a game. The idea that he "rarely"gets lost guarding him man is just not accurate. It happens quite a bit. And he is not great moving his feet with quicker players. He is pretty good on help defense, gets some nice blocks. I think he will get stronger with time, which will help. Hayward is probably better as well, hes at least always in position. Smart defender. Smart usually defends guards, but even he is better at defending wings than Tatum. Semi may also be better. So somewhere 3-5 on this team alone. That's not an insult, we have some pretty good defenders. I just think his defense is a little overrated.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#482 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:05 am

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#483 » by K For Three » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:34 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Image

I got the feels tonight too. Especially live. :cry:

I been waiting all freaking year for a game when I felt like legit Kyrie and Tatum could be the first two options and take over. I was in heaven. I know we get different guys hot at different times, but tonight felt.......good.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/03/kyrie-irving-on-playing-with-jayson-tatum-i-know-i-need-you-right-next-to-me.html

Irving said. “I want you to be -- whatever you need me to do, I’ll get out the way once you get to that point, like, go ahead. Like, if you want it, go take it, and I tell Jay as well, me and you in this, going for the guts and glory when it’s all on the line, I know I need you right next to me, so, let’s get this thing going. I have a different relationship with all my teammates but specifically with him, how special he is, yeah.”
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#484 » by Gooner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 am

Tatum is a special player, trading him for anybody would be a big mistake. He has everything it takes to be a superstar. Not only he has great skill, but he is not afraid of big moments.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#485 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 am

I don't ask for much. I just want 14 more such Tatum games that end up in a win this postseason.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#486 » by ParticleMan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:44 am

This game reminds the Pels why he is worth trading AD for.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#487 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 am

Kyrie is one of Jayson's biggest fans.

Anyone who caught the podcast the two of them were guests on together earlier this year could believe that Tatum is a big draw for Kyrie to re-sign here -- and his one teammate he considers as untouchable as trade fodder for Danny to try to add another star.

I could imagine, for example, Kyrie giving Danny a short list of stars he would like to see Danny bag--as long as they don't cost Tatum.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#488 » by 2Mas » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Tatum played an amazing damn game last night.

How many times did he attack the rim? The dunks, man dude was killing.

3 3's & what 7 shots at the rim? When he's attacking the kid is unreal. He didn't take 1 bad shot last night. (im here for mid ranges, just not double team low % fadeaways). He was unreal.

Beautiful game man. Please keep it up it's so much fun when he's doing his thing.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#489 » by K For Three » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Gooner wrote:Tatum is a special player, trading him for anybody would be a big mistake. He has everything it takes to be a superstar. Not only he has great skill, but he is not afraid of big moments.

This is what gives me hesitation. The big game clutch gene is not something everyone has in this league. It's why I sometimes doubt the C's really will trade Tatum. One of the things Ainge raved about when we traded for Kyrie was his big game performances at such a young age, particularly in the finals.

Even as a rookie last year Tatum was never afraid in the playoffs.

Tatum didn't have the best regular season at times (sometimes even laughable) but none of that matters anymore in the playoffs.

I hope he can keep it up these playoffs. He seems so sweet and innocent looking at times but there is a killer in there.

edit: Also want to see how far this team can go in the postseason. Some things can change with opinions if they make a real run, or at least to me. If they don't last very long same thing.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#490 » by TheMartian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Kyrie is one of Jayson's biggest fans.

Anyone who caught the podcast the two of them were guests on together earlier this year could believe that Tatum is a big draw for Kyrie to re-sign here -- and his one teammate he considers as untouchable as trade fodder for Danny to try to add another star.

I could imagine, for example, Kyrie giving Danny a short list of stars he would like to see Danny bag--as long as they don't cost Tatum.

This is why I'm thinking Kyrie is pushing Danny to go for KD more than AD. I think KD is possible without giving up Tatum, whereas AD would not be traded here without JT on the table.

It might be unbelievable, but also might be true: KD might be Plan A, and AD only Plan B.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#491 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 pm

mzepol wrote:

This is why I'm thinking Kyrie is pushing Danny to go for KD more than AD. I think KD is possible without giving up Tatum, whereas AD would not be traded here without JT on the table.

It might be unbelievable, but also might be true: KD might be Plan A, and AD only Plan B.

KD requires a sign-and-trade so Boston would have to really make it worth it for Golden State to trade Kevin Durant to the team they'd probably see in the Finals.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#492 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 pm

mzepol wrote:

A fair take. For contract reasons, KD would be a lot cheaper than AD.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#493 » by TheMartian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:16 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
mzepol wrote:

KD requires a sign-and-trade so Boston would have to really make it worth it for Golden State to trade Kevin Durant to the team they'd probably see in the Finals.

I understand that, but I believe it's not out of the realm of possibilities. A lot of things have to fall into place for this to happen.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#494 » by TheMartian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
mzepol wrote:

A fair take. For contract reasons, KD would be a lot cheaper than AD.

In Kyrie's perfect world, he'll have two of his best buddies - KD and JT - with him on the same team. I'll bet he can't wait to sign here long term if that's the plan.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,654

Post#495 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Tatum is a star in the making when he plays the game correctly. When he is shooting the 3 and attacking the rim. When he does those two things at a high rate, it really opens up the rest of his game where he can sprinkle in the mid range game as well. The problem Tatum gets into is the mid range game becomes his main thing while attacking the rim is the thing he just sprinkles in. If he can ever get the ratio of that down, he is going to be a stud.

Some games his size just really stands out. The last game for some reason the dude just looked big and long. Also that thunderous one handed dunk driving across the court to his left look pretty damn explosive and effortless for him. He has plenty of athleticism with his size. He just needs to get his shot selection better and more consistent. The dude just like Kyrie, loves the bright lights. Both are made for it.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#496 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:15 pm

mzepol wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
mzepol wrote:

I understand that, but I believe it's not out of the realm of possibilities. A lot of things have to fall into place for this to happen.

Def possible, but it probably has to include either something like: Hayward, Brown, Memphis first, some other pick or something like: Smart, Tatum, Memphis first, some other pick. I'd do either if Durant and Kyrie were both signed to 4+ year contracts, but not if Durant is just opting into his 1-year deal.

Imagining Durant in the Boston sports media environment is a bit of a stretch tbh.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#497 » by Iguodaladon » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 pm

2Mas wrote:Tatum played an amazing damn game last night.

How many times did he attack the rim? The dunks, man dude was killing.

3 3's & what 7 shots at the rim? When he's attacking the kid is unreal. He didn't take 1 bad shot last night. (im here for mid ranges, just not double team low % fadeaways). He was unreal.

Beautiful game man. Please keep it up it's so much fun when he's doing his thing.

Think he just took that one midrange jumper in the last quarter and he drained it. His shot chart must've read like a Picasso
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#498 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:21 pm

I have said it in the past buy now this draft has a bit more clarity. The problem Ainge is facing, pulling off trade without Tatum if that Memphis pick conveys this year is getting unrealistic since this draft isn't rated that highly. Brown/Smart and unloading every Celtics pick that they can unload and pick swaps probably beats all non Zion offers -- whether Pelicans accept is a different story -- but as the Nets have found out that is riskier than folks can imagine. Even if the picks end up late and Celtics stay good/healthy, mid to late first rounders gain a lot in value when high school players can be drafted again.

Barring injury, something has gone wrong if Tatum doesn't develop into a top 25 player. He plays a different position but I kind of compare him favorably to Klay T. of the Warriors. Neither player is a great ballhandler or passer but they are competent enough in their roles. Tatum is a little bigger and significantly more athletic. Should be same caliber of shooter. Klay has the advantage on a quicker release but I see Tatum has more advantages overall.

So I agree with Duke4life831 that the shot mix is important for Tatum.

I realize Tatum's regular season for several different reasons didn't live up to increased expectations based upon his rookie year but the guy still shot a little over 85% from the line at a time Klay T was shooting a little less than that his 3rd year in college. His 3 point shooting dipped but was still good.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#499 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 am

mzepol wrote:

KD's four years older, unfortunately, but yeah--he would presumably be both cheaper and come on a multiyear basis. I don't pretend to know the odds for Danny bagging either of them. KD's been a bit more durable too.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#500 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 am

keevsnick1 wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:
keevsnick1 wrote:
Tatum is a better defender than Carmelo for sure, but I have been pretty disappointed with him on that end this season. I don't think he's much better than an average wing defender. He's lucky he's on a team with like 3 or 4 superior defensive options on the wing.

I guess I'd sum up Tatum this way, I'd love to keep him. But I'm not gonna be devastated if he's the main piece in a trade for a top 7 guy like AD.

I disagree. I personally think he’s the best wing defender on the team overall. He may not be as good as a defender as JB when he’s locked in guarding man to man, but he’s a much better team defender and rarely gets lost guarding his man. I think he’s arguably better this season than last defensively.

Wow. Honestly I think that's crazy. Jaylen is better on the whole, sure he loses focus sometimes but so does Tatum. He loses his man on a back cut or drifts off a shooter at least a couple times a game. The idea that he "rarely"gets lost guarding him man is just not accurate. It happens quite a bit. And he is not great moving his feet with quicker players. He is pretty good on help defense, gets some nice blocks. I think he will get stronger with time, which will help. Hayward is probably better as well, hes at least always in position. Smart defender. Smart usually defends guards, but even he is better at defending wings than Tatum. Semi may also be better. So somewhere 3-5 on this team alone. That's not an insult, we have some pretty good defenders. I just think his defense is a little overrated.

I really disagree. I hope they both mature into being consistent defenders, despite their offensive capabilities and of course they are two different players--JT with great length, JB with more speed and bounce. But JT to date, along with being younger, has been the player with a solid defensive mind and consistency. Not perfect, but pretty good. And the numbers show it. E.g., JT is #1 on the team in defensive win shares with 3.4, while JB is #6 at 2.4. JT has been the much smarter player, with high level coaching from a very young age. JB is coming along, but I think his defensive focus, like TRo's, took a step back this past regular season. Fortunately they both seem committed to that end for the playoffs here--after that sloppy first half to the first game of their postseason. (Terry's defensive numbers last night were off the charts.)

Return to Boston Celtics