ImageImageImage

Jim Jackson: Larry Legend Not on Same Level as Magic, MJ, LeBron

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Re: Jim Jackson: Larry Legend Not on Same Level as Magic, MJ, LeBron 

Post#21 » by Parliament10 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:48 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:Who's Jim Jackson?

Some Bozo fringe player, who one day wants to know what he's talking about.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#22 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:01 pm

cloverleaf wrote:As modern, complete athletes and players most solely dominating their eras, MJ and LBJ can certainly be defended.

But add Magic in there and you are no more than the LB level, for sure.

And claiming MJ has more charisma than LB is just silly.

But if Magic or Bird had never been born the other one would have won two more titles and be considered the equal of MJ or LBJ. MJ never had to face anyone/any team like the 80s Lakers and 80s Cs with Magic and Bird in their primes.

This is entirely idiotic. Larry made first-team all-NBA each of his first 9 seasons in the league, until he got hurt. He won 3 MVPs, finished second in MVP voting 4 times, and finished 3rd and 4th once in MVP voting in those 9 years.

No player has ever put together 9 consecutive seasons superior to Larry's first 9 in the NBA, though a small handful are on that level, including MJ, LBJ and Magic.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#23 » by 31to6 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:07 pm

a guy who would have a LOT less money had Bird and Magic not salvaged the late-70s **** that the NBA had become.

everyone in the NBA since owes those two a debt of gratitude and like 70% of their earnings.
(of course Bird was a little bit better)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#24 » by Scalamental » Fri Dec 7, 2018 8:31 pm

Bill Russel
Michael Jordan
Lebron
Magic/Bird
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#25 » by canman1971 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:50 pm

Sometimes professional athletes current and former as well as idiot media members (and that's not applicable to all. Think Skip Bayless) just need to shut up. Perhaps he was talking about how Bird is when he walks into a room, it's not the same as the others, which I doubt. However, for the love of god. Get your head out of your ass and watch some old games. Bird was the original assassin. This turd shouldn't even be talking about him. Bird has stool that is more intelligent and talented than Jim Jackson.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,842

Post#26 » by Karate Diop » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:51 pm

canman1971 wrote:Sometimes professional athletes current and former as well as idiot media members (and that's not applicable to all. Think Skip Bayless) just need to shut up. Perhaps he was talking about how Bird is when he walks into a room, it's not the same as the others, which I doubt. However, for the love of god. Get your head out of your ass and watch some old games. Bird was the original assassin. This turd shouldn't even be talking about him. Bird has stool that is more intelligent and talented than Jim Jackson.

The vast majority of professional athletes have horrendous takes. They often say things which fly in the face of facts but are never called out on them.
Silky
Junior
And1: 144

Post#27 » by Silky » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:18 pm

Magic himself claims bird was the better player.

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#28 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:40 pm

canman1971 wrote:Sometimes professional athletes current and former as well as idiot media members (and that's not applicable to all. Think Skip Bayless) just need to shut up. Perhaps he was talking about how Bird is when he walks into a room, it's not the same as the others, which I doubt. However, for the love of god. Get your head out of your ass and watch some old games. Bird was the original assassin. This turd shouldn't even be talking about him. Bird has stool that is more intelligent and talented than Jim Jackson.

Yeah, I just watched the clip, and he's basically talking about charisma. OK. Whatever. Bird never wanted to be the focus of attention off the court. (On the court, Bird had plenty of fire.)

If he's really talking about "transforming the NBA," then he's just plain wrong. Magic and Bird go hand-in-hand. They and then MJ carried the NBA to new heights.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#29 » by canman1971 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 10:57 pm

hickfromfrenchlick wrote:

Yeah, I just watched the clip, and he's basically talking about charisma. OK. Whatever. Bird never wanted to be the focus of attention off the court. (On the court, Bird had plenty of fire.)

If he's really talking about "transforming the NBA," then he's just plain wrong. Magic and Bird go hand-in-hand. They and then MJ carried the NBA to new heights.

Yep. I actually do a unit in my Sports and Society class regarding race and sports and how it affects society. Not only do I talk about Russell, Jackie Robinson, but also Bird v. Magic. We read excerpts of "When the Game was Ours" but also watch the documentary " "Courtship of Rivals" which is fantastic. I have a signed copy of the book, thanks to my buddy, and if you haven't read it, you need to. Just awesome.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#30 » by brackdan70 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 11:08 pm

Bird and Magic are in a similar class. MJ and LBJ are a rung above
Sign here
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,466

Post#31 » by Jaqua92 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 11:38 pm

Well, the guy is right lol. He is in Magic's class. But Lebron and MJ are above them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#32 » by Elrod is Back » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:12 am

canman1971 wrote:
hickfromfrenchlick wrote:

Yep. I actually do a unit in my Sports and Society class regarding race and sports and how it affects society. Not only do I talk about Russell, Jackie Robinson, but also Bird v. Magic. We read excerpts of "When the Game was Ours" but also watch the documentary " "Courtship of Rivals" which is fantastic. I have a signed copy of the book, thanks to my buddy, and if you haven't read it, you need to. Just awesome.

where do you teach?
Jakeopp
General Manager
And1: 9,983

Post#33 » by Jakeopp » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:25 am

Who's Jim Jackson and why would anyone care what he thinks?
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#34 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:47 am

A huge loser.

Such a big basketball fan, when he was drafted he refused to play.

Destroyed his basketball team by fighting his teammates for some singer, Toni Braxton?

Was so bad, half the teams in the NBA traded him away.

Never won.

No NBA without Larry Bird.

Bird, the only player with the all-around game of points, rebounds, assists. No player near his 24, 10 and 6.

Bird invented the famous 50-40-90 season.

Without Bird, the NBA would have 15 teams, the playoffs would be showed on tape delay at 10:30pm.

Those who cheer Jordan, small children watching beverage commercials.

Jordan couldn't shoot, the NBA had to bring in the 3point line for him. Jordan couldn't win, the NBA had to use expansion to weaken the Celtics and Pistons.

Jordan could not defeat Bird in one playoff game. Jordan 0%, Bird 100%.

Magic? Arrived on a loaded Lakers team due to NBA rigged trade rules, which then gifted them Worthy too. Had no range. Wasn't even the best player on his team half the time. Did Magic win Rookie of the Year, no.

Oh, Jordan is so good, he was in Space Jam. Who cares, Bird was in Space Jam too.

None of you would be here without Larry Bird. You would be watching the color television with the cartoons and the cornhole and the Willard Scott.

Every basketball player of the past and future is trash compared to Bird.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#35 » by chakdaddy » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:14 am

CHL: tongue in cheek but basically correct.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#36 » by chakdaddy » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:22 am

Bird was a better shooter and rebounder than any of them and better passer than all but magic.

You could have a scatter plot with Jordan at the extreme end for athleticism and dunking. LeBron is like bird minus the shooting but plus the dunking. These true elites mix the same qualities but are hard to pick from. Putting any a rung above is major disrespect to the others.

But I'm glad to see LBJ enter the conversation to stop the nonsense that MJ was 2 standard deviations above anyone else who could ever exist. The deification was appalling and ruined the NBA from 96-04 when it's entire aim was to justify it and then to repeat it.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#37 » by GuyClinch » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:54 am

Larry Bird was a better coach and gm then any of them though.. So not sure I buy this 'just a hick who cares about basketball stuff.' Indiana is pretty normal FWIW..IMHO. I haven't been to french lick but been through Indiana couple of times. Its a little boring sure - but I think the whole hick thing was because it rhymes with french lick.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#38 » by Tiny ball » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:54 am

brackdan70 wrote:Bird and Magic are in a similar class. MJ and LBJ are a rung above

I really don't think LJ would have ever won one title playing against a health Bird team again with MJ not one. Magic would have also never let him win a title. He puts up great numbers but no rings against those guys.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#39 » by Tiny ball » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:00 am

Jakeopp wrote:Who's Jim Jackson and why would anyone care what he thinks?
I don't think I have ever heard of him.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#40 » by Tiny ball » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:05 am

GuyClinch wrote:Larry Bird was a better coach and gm then any of them though.. So not sure I buy this 'just a hick who cares about basketball stuff.' Indiana is pretty normal FWIW..IMHO. I haven't been to french lick but been through Indiana couple of times. Its a little boring sure - but I think the whole hick thing was because it rhymes with french lick.

It is part of high school basketball.. He grew up on a farm. City cheerleaders had cheers your a hick go back to the sticks.

Return to Boston Celtics