Page 23 of 26

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:49 am
by Pacino62
MagicBagley18 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:


the first one was one of those ok i'm bored let's watch it movies and then turned out to be real enjoyable. i hope this one doesn't feel forced. it's been 10 years.


Man. I loved Zombieland. .

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 pm
by sam_I_am
Watching Dark on Netflix. I was too tired for subtitles and figured I would check out dubbed version for a few minutes. 5 episodes later.... It is really good, a lot like Stranger Things.

Edit: already into season 2. This show is mind blowing.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:59 pm
by MagicBagley18
Pacino62 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
It's AWESOME, a significant step up from the hateful eight. 9/10


Good to hear. I thought Hateful Eight was boring. Not as bad as Jackie Brown, but in the same neighborhood.

And for those who have Amazon Prime - check out The Boys. I watched the first 2 episodes and it is really good.


Disagree completely on Jackie Brown. Gets a bad wrap. Hateful Eight, we’re on the same page.

As for The Boys. Holy ****. Just finished episode 5 and I’m hooked. Can’t stop watching.

Once Upon a Time tomorrow. Can’t wait.


I like Jackie brown a lot also......”acrossssss 1- hundred and 10th streeeeeet”.

I thought hateful 8 is by far his worst film, the story was good but I felt that even for a Tarantino film it was over the top and the dialogue which is his strong suit felt forced and was trying too hard.

As far as this one it was much better than hateful 8 and I enjoyed it a lot. Ending was funny as hell and classic Tarantino, the visuals during the movie really captured that 60s feel Brad Pitt was great as was DiCaprio.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:05 pm
by SuperDeluxe
Netflix used to be fantastic for watching those movies that you skipped when they were in theatres, or maybe that obscure movie with a favourite actress. Now it's a pain to find anything interesting -- when you search for a specific title/actor/director, you get the incredibly stupid "movies related to" results... which in most cases have nothing to do with your original search.

BUT... Netflix is still great to discover European stuff. In particular, I've been watching some top-shelf Scandinavian movies. Some to recommend: The Guilty, Border, Let The Right One In, Force Majeure, The 12th Man, The Hunt, In Order of Disappearance, the Dragon Tatoo trilogy, and so on. They are mostly on the darker/disturbing side, and also their pace is the opposite of Hollywood productions, so they may or may not be everybody's cup of tea.

EDIT: And I saw Jackie Brown a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, not sure why the press killed it (at least in my country of birth) when it came out.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:26 pm
by CeltsfanSinceBirth
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Good to hear. I thought Hateful Eight was boring. Not as bad as Jackie Brown, but in the same neighborhood.

And for those who have Amazon Prime - check out The Boys. I watched the first 2 episodes and it is really good.


Disagree completely on Jackie Brown. Gets a bad wrap. Hateful Eight, we’re on the same page.

As for The Boys. Holy ****. Just finished episode 5 and I’m hooked. Can’t stop watching.

Once Upon a Time tomorrow. Can’t wait.


I like Jackie brown a lot also......”acrossssss 1- hundred and 10th streeeeeet”.

I thought hateful 8 is by far his worst film, the story was good but I felt that even for a Tarantino film it was over the top and the dialogue which is his strong suit felt forced and was trying too hard.

As far as this one it was much better than hateful 8 and I enjoyed it a lot. Ending was funny as hell and classic Tarantino, the visuals during the movie really captured that 60s feel Brad Pitt was great as was DiCaprio.


The dialogue is why I hated Hateful Eight. Too much use of the N-word for me, considering there's only one black character in the movie. Kind of seeing what Spike Lee meant now

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:59 am
by Fencer reregistered
A variety of famous movie lines were improvised, and articles -- clickbait or otherwise -- commonly appear listing them. Major examples include:

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
"You talkin' to me"?
"Take the gun. Leave the cannoli."
"The best part of you ran down your momma's leg."

and the reponses in:

"I love you."
"I know."

"You're a funny guy."
"Funny how? Do I amuse you?"

Well, I just learned that another example evidently is "You can't handle the truth!"

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 pm
by Green89
SuperDeluxe wrote:Netflix used to be fantastic for watching those movies that you skipped when they were in theatres, or maybe that obscure movie with a favourite actress. Now it's a pain to find anything interesting -- when you search for a specific title/actor/director, you get the incredibly stupid "movies related to" results... which in most cases have nothing to do with your original search.

BUT... Netflix is still great to discover European stuff. In particular, I've been watching some top-shelf Scandinavian movies. Some to recommend: The Guilty, Border, Let The Right One In, Force Majeure, The 12th Man, The Hunt, In Order of Disappearance, the Dragon Tatoo trilogy, and so on. They are mostly on the darker/disturbing side, and also their pace is the opposite of Hollywood productions, so they may or may not be everybody's cup of tea.

EDIT: And I saw Jackie Brown a couple of weeks ago. I liked it, not sure why the press killed it (at least in my country of birth) when it came out.


I haven't watched Netflix in months. I find much more interesting things to watch on the free apps: Tubi, Filmrise, Pluto TV, Sony Crackle, etc. Tubi has really come along in the past year. They have so many obscure, retro, foreign, and indie films.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:34 pm
by watsonthedragon
sam_I_am wrote:Watching Dark on Netflix. I was too tired for subtitles and figured I would check out dubbed version for a few minutes. 5 episodes later.... It is really good, a lot like Stranger Things.

Edit: already into season 2. This show is mind blowing.


Dark is amazing. Season 2 was the craziest season of a show I've ever watched. I don't think the dubs are too bad, got used to them in an episode or two.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 pm
by sam_I_am
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Gonna check out “once upon a time in Hollywood “ tomorrow night....big Tarantino fan but was real disappointed in hateful 8 hopefully this is a good bounce back


It's AWESOME, a significant step up from the hateful eight. 9/10


Good to hear. I thought Hateful Eight was boring. Not as bad as Jackie Brown, but in the same neighborhood.

And for those who have Amazon Prime - check out The Boys. I watched the first 2 episodes and it is really good.


Holy crap The Boys is awesome! I just need more!

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:44 pm
by MagicBagley18
Mindhunter season 2 August 16th

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:51 am
by jmr07019
I too am a fan of the boys. When is season 2 coming out?

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Thu Aug 1, 2019 1:14 am
by Big Joke Line
I know I’m late to the party on both (like most things entertainment) but digging Black Mirror and Barry. On season 2 of both.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:33 am
by CeltsfanSinceBirth
I just got back from watching Hobbs and Shaw. That movie runs about 30 minutes too long. I enjoy the F&F franchise....but this one is pretty bad, and not the cheesy "bad" movies like the other flicks. Starts off well, and then drags on a bit.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:47 am
by reload141
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I just got back from watching Hobbs and Shaw. That movie runs about 30 minutes too long. I enjoy the F&F franchise....but this one is pretty bad, and not the cheesy "bad" movies like the other flicks. Starts off well, and then drags on a bit.


I've looked at it when looking up movies and keep going "Ummmmm... do I want to spend $21.50AUD on this?"

Hard pass.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:15 pm
by 3D Chess
reload141 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I just got back from watching Hobbs and Shaw. That movie runs about 30 minutes too long. I enjoy the F&F franchise....but this one is pretty bad, and not the cheesy "bad" movies like the other flicks. Starts off well, and then drags on a bit.


I've looked at it when looking up movies and keep going "Ummmmm... do I want to spend $21.50AUD on this?"

Hard pass.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fast-furious-stars-complicated-demandi-never-want-to-lose-a-fight-11564673490

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:09 pm
by MagicBagley18
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I just got back from watching Hobbs and Shaw. That movie runs about 30 minutes too long. I enjoy the F&F franchise....but this one is pretty bad, and not the cheesy "bad" movies like the other flicks. Starts off well, and then drags on a bit.


Agreed...started out good like you said but while it was really cool of him to have a nod to his culture and where he comes from- the movie jumps the shark when he goes to Samoa.

It was Meaningful to him and I respect that but as a member of the audience thats where I was like come on this is an unnecessary 25 minutes we don’t need and that would have been the case no matter what happened Or where they were.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:12 pm
by MagicBagley18
Watched “who killed garret Phillips?” On hbo about a 12 year old who passed away and the mystery surrounding his death. Only a 2 parter that runs an hour each so if you like true crime/court cases and a look at race, murder, law in a small town that has large city ramifications and similarities I’d check it out.

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:19 pm
by jmr07019

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:36 am
by Ed Pinkney
jmr07019 wrote:


Image

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:50 am
by NuckyPowell
Here's something you don't see every day.

Read on Twitter