ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#681 » by Wes-J » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 am

I have put off watching the Narcos series since it came out but thinking I'm going to give it try now. I'm big into the crime genre, Breaking Bad is the GOAT.

Anyone find this series pretty good?
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#682 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:07 am

Wes-J wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:Randomly stumbled on Out of the Furnace - interesting story with excellent acting and a phenomenal cast - Christin Bale, Forest Whitaker, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Willem Defoe and Zoe Saldana.

Yeah well casted, solid movie but just depressing in every imaginable way.

Agreed. In that way it reminded me of a book called American Rust that I read a few months back.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man

Post#683 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am

Wes-J wrote:I have put off watching the Narcos series since it came out but thinking I'm going to give it try now. I'm big into the crime genre, Breaking Bad is the GOAT.

I tried twice. Wasn’t for me. Everything just seemed low quality to me.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man

Post#684 » by Big Joke Line » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:12 am

The Comedian wrote:The outsider is excellent so far, Mendelsohn is an incredible actor.

He is so good. Even his bit part in Place Beyond the Pines was good.

I haven’t seen any episodes yet because something is up with my HBO Now that it keeps pausing or skipping. It’s not WiFi because it doesn’t do it with Netflix or Hulu.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#685 » by Marvel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Wes-J wrote:I have put off watching the Narcos series since it came out but thinking I'm going to give it try now. I'm big into the crime genre, Breaking Bad is the GOAT.

Season 1 & 2 are really good based on Pablo. Season 3 is the aftermath. Season 4 is based in Mexico when the drug trade was in it's early stages. One of my favorite series. All of them are good especially the first 2. Can't wait for season 4 to kick off soon.

edit:whoops got my seasons mixed up. Season 1 is Pablo and season 2 is the aftermath. Season 3 is based in Mexico and season 4 is on it's way.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#686 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:48 pm

Busy week only saw 2 movies :wink: just mercy was great and I saw the gentleman which ok- had a few good moments
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#687 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:Busy week only saw 2 movies :wink: just mercy was great and I saw the gentleman which ok- had a few good moments

Like I said earlier...wild to me that Just Mercy has received zero love this awards season. I wanted to see Gentlemen tomorrow but I need a show pre 11:00am and I’m struggling to find one. Lol. **** responsibilities and plans with my girlfriend. Can’t I just go to movies by myself all day
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,574

Post#688 » by KGtabake » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Watched Polanski's J' Accuse last night.
Great cinematography, his best movie in years.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#689 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:06 pm

KGtabake wrote:Watched Polanski's J' Accuse last night.

Reminds me of a question that I like to ask. Can you separate the art from the artist? Based on your post, you can. As can I. I’ll have to check this out.

Curious what others have to say.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#690 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:21 pm

Big Joke Line wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:Randomly stumbled on Out of the Furnace - interesting story with excellent acting and a phenomenal cast - Christin Bale, Forest Whitaker, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Willem Defoe and Zoe Saldana.

Agreed. In that way it reminded me of a book called American Rust that I read a few months back.

So good. Loved it. the trailer with their Pearl Jam Release Me was just straight FIRE. Sometimes you see a great trailer and the movie blows. This one nailed it.

and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#691 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Pacino62 wrote:

Reminds me of a question that I like to ask. Can you separate the art from the artist? Based on your post, you can. As can I. I’ll have to check this out.

I can and I do but I’ll tell you there are certain things that are hard to get past
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#692 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:30 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

I can and I do but I’ll tell you there are certain things that are hard to get past

I don’t see a middle ground in the argument but that’s just me. There isn’t too much worse you can do than Polanski. If you can watch a film made by someone who drugged and raped a 13 year old, you’ve gotten past combining the art with the artist imo. It’s hard to get much more detestable than that.

Either way. It’s an interesting conversation topic. I’ve seen and understood people’s views on both sides of the fence.

Pacino62
Analyst

Post#693 » by Pacino62 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:31 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:
Wes-J wrote:

So good. Loved it. the trailer with their Pearl Jam Release Me was just straight FIRE. Sometimes you see a great trailer and the movie blows. This one nailed it.

Suicide Squad lol

peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#694 » by peachbucket » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:Agreed. In that way it reminded me of a book called American Rust that I read a few months back.

Suicide Squad lol

This looks killer.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#695 » by peachbucket » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:00 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
True detective season 1 is legendary. Everything about it is perfect except for the ending IMO but the acting is a1 stuff. Season 2 is terrible and shouldn’t be watched but season 3 was good as well, not season 1 good but still good. Pizzolotto had time to write season 3 and wasn’t rushed like after season 1

Season 1 might be my favorite season of television of all time. Even the ending. The single shot scene in episode 6 or whatever just floored me.

Off topic but have we talked about Just Mercy with the group who participates in here? Because holy hell...incredible.

btw "' philosophy of pessimism'' could also pass as a tittle of a game thread around here after a bad c's start

My understanding is that Pizzolotto ripped off an obscure philosopher for much of what came out of Rusty's mouth...which kind of made sense to me after the fact because it seemed like it was a bit too brilliant for a screen play. For me that character is what propels season1 into GOAT status.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#696 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:05 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

I don’t see a middle ground in the argument but that’s just me. There isn’t too much worse you can do than Polanski. If you can watch a film made by someone who drugged and raped a 13 year old, you’ve gotten past combining the art with the artist imo. It’s hard to get much more detestable than that.

Either way. It’s an interesting conversation topic. I’ve seen and understood people’s views on both sides of the fence.

I don’t think I could watch his movies anymore, but he is also a slightly different situation as he is behind the camera so there is no in your face reminder. What about when you see the Miramax logo?

I watched The Usual Suspects again a few months ago (one of my all time favourites) and it was hard to watch because of Spacey, and to be honest it would be hard to watch again.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,574

Post#697 » by KGtabake » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:58 am

Pacino62 wrote:

I can. I remember having this conversation regarding Elia Kazan and Woody Allen too.
Different cases. I can watch their films without second thoughts. I can even watch Miramax movies with no regrets.
Other people can't and that's understandable.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#698 » by exculpatory » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:16 pm

SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,399

Post#699 » by K For Three » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 am

At least Brad Pitt is likely to win the best supporting actor Oscar. I saw "once upon a time in Hollywood" in the theater in the summer and the ending was insane with a large group of people. :lol:

Can every man on the planet please look like Brad Pitt at his age? OMG, he has aged so damn well. Kinda like Tom Brady.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#700 » by exculpatory » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:26 pm

SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.

Return to Boston Celtics