ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: Froob, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, ParticleMan, djFan71, canman1971

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#921 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Can anybody recommend any good movies available on Amazon Prime Video? I'm halfway through my one-month trial and I don't think I'll renew, but want to extract as much juice as possible.

So far I've watched "The Report," "Midsommar" (a slight disappointment), "The Lookout" (second time, I like this one), "The Falling," "Booksmart," and "Heaven Adores You" (documentary on Elliott Smith). On my watch list: "Caché," "The Lighthouse," "Sound City," and a couple short documentaries.

Not really interested in series or miniseries, as I only have a couple weeks left. Thanks for the assist!
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,378
And1: 6,228
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#922 » by canman1971 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:07 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:Can anybody recommend any good movies available on Amazon Prime Video? I'm halfway through my one-month trial and I don't think I'll renew, but want to extract as much juice as possible.

So far I've watched "The Report," "Midsommar" (a slight disappointment), "The Lookout" (second time, I like this one), "The Falling," "Booksmart," and "Heaven Adores You" (documentary on Elliott Smith). On my watch list: "Caché," "The Lighthouse," "Sound City," and a couple short documentaries.

Not really interested in series or miniseries, as I only have a couple weeks left. Thanks for the assist!

There is so many. What's your interest and have you seen lots of the old movies like Mr. Mom?
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#923 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 pm

canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Can anybody recommend any good movies available on Amazon Prime Video? I'm halfway through my one-month trial and I don't think I'll renew, but want to extract as much juice as possible.

So far I've watched "The Report," "Midsommar" (a slight disappointment), "The Lookout" (second time, I like this one), "The Falling," "Booksmart," and "Heaven Adores You" (documentary on Elliott Smith). On my watch list: "Caché," "The Lighthouse," "Sound City," and a couple short documentaries.

Not really interested in series or miniseries, as I only have a couple weeks left. Thanks for the assist!

There is so many. What's your interest and have you seen lots of the old movies like Mr. Mom?

Well, I don't really like mainstream/action/Marvel-type movies. I'm more into the psychological, slower-paced stuff... just short of entering into art-house territory. I included some titles above to give an idea of what attracts me. I do acknowledge that it's hard to nail someone else's taste and recommend a sure-fire winner :)
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,378
And1: 6,228
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#924 » by canman1971 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Can anybody recommend any good movies available on Amazon Prime Video? I'm halfway through my one-month trial and I don't think I'll renew, but want to extract as much juice as possible.

So far I've watched "The Report," "Midsommar" (a slight disappointment), "The Lookout" (second time, I like this one), "The Falling," "Booksmart," and "Heaven Adores You" (documentary on Elliott Smith). On my watch list: "Caché," "The Lighthouse," "Sound City," and a couple short documentaries.

Not really interested in series or miniseries, as I only have a couple weeks left. Thanks for the assist!

There is so many. What's your interest and have you seen lots of the old movies like Mr. Mom?

Well, I don't really like mainstream/action/Marvel-type movies. I'm more into the psychological, slower-paced stuff... just short of entering into art-house territory. I included some titles above to give an idea of what attracts me. I do acknowledge that it's hard to nail someone else's taste and recommend a sure-fire winner :)

I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#925 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm

canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:There is so many. What's your interest and have you seen lots of the old movies like Mr. Mom?

Well, I don't really like mainstream/action/Marvel-type movies. I'm more into the psychological, slower-paced stuff... just short of entering into art-house territory. I included some titles above to give an idea of what attracts me. I do acknowledge that it's hard to nail someone else's taste and recommend a sure-fire winner :)

I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you. The first three I've already seen and liked. And here's why I dislike Netflix (and now also Amazon Prime): I searched for "Primal Fear" and got 28 results, none of which is "Primal fear." But yes, I did get "Fear," "Shadow of Fear," "Primal Screen," "Primal Survivor," and so on. The movie you are looking for may be a masterpiece, but the movies shown in your search results in Amazon/Netflix would all be rejected by third-string cable channels. Searches get even more fun when you look for a specific actor or director -- pretty sad.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,103
And1: 2,511
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#926 » by threrf23 » Fri May 1, 2020 12:50 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Well, I don't really like mainstream/action/Marvel-type movies. I'm more into the psychological, slower-paced stuff... just short of entering into art-house territory. I included some titles above to give an idea of what attracts me. I do acknowledge that it's hard to nail someone else's taste and recommend a sure-fire winner :)

I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you. The first three I've already seen and liked. And here's why I dislike Netflix (and now also Amazon Prime): I searched for "Primal Fear" and got 28 results, none of which is "Primal fear." But yes, I did get "Fear," "Shadow of Fear," "Primal Screen," "Primal Survivor," and so on. The movie you are looking for may be a masterpiece, but the movies shown in your search results in Amazon/Netflix would all be rejected by third-string cable channels. Searches get even more fun when you look for a specific actor or director -- pretty sad.


Taking a quick glance, one movie I like that you can watch via Amazon Prime is Dead Awake, the 2001 movie with Stephen Baldwin (not the better known one). It's low budget, and maybe a satire on something art house / psychological more than anything intellectual, but its entertaining provided you can appreciate offbeat humor.

The Chumscrubber and Hesher are also good, funny movies available on Prime.

My only other contribution, is that within the past few weeks I have finally made the switch over the Fire/Roku sticks (I now have both), and I have found that many of the apps which allow you stream movies for free (usually with commercials, that you may or may not be able to skip thru via the back button) offer a better selection of movies than Netflix, Prime, and other paid options. Like, there are some good, semi obscure movies I originally came across on late night cable years ago, that aren't available thru Netflix or Amazon, and which can't even be downloaded via bittorrent, that you can stream easily and for free using a Fire Stick or Roku Player. There are lots of mainstream movies you can stream as well.

For me, that is the route to go. Cheaper, better, and commercials serve as intermissions.

(also, I'm liking Roku more than Fire, slightly better interface, slightly better selection, and I can set a clock as my screensaver)
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,378
And1: 6,228
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#927 » by canman1971 » Fri May 1, 2020 12:52 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:Well, I don't really like mainstream/action/Marvel-type movies. I'm more into the psychological, slower-paced stuff... just short of entering into art-house territory. I included some titles above to give an idea of what attracts me. I do acknowledge that it's hard to nail someone else's taste and recommend a sure-fire winner :)

I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you. The first three I've already seen and liked. And here's why I dislike Netflix (and now also Amazon Prime): I searched for "Primal Fear" and got 28 results, none of which is "Primal fear." But yes, I did get "Fear," "Shadow of Fear," "Primal Screen," "Primal Survivor," and so on. The movie you are looking for may be a masterpiece, but the movies shown in your search results in Amazon/Netflix would all be rejected by third-string cable channels. Searches get even more fun when you look for a specific actor or director -- pretty sad.

Masterpiece, I don't know, but it's a cool thriller with Edward Norton and Richard Gere(who's not a favorite of mine). But yeah, I get your point, sometimes I spend more time trying to find something to watch, I end up just defaulting to things I have already seen many times. I know you said you weren't interested in series, but I saw on Amazon they have Boardwalk Empire, which is fantastic and I just finished Hunters, which was surprisingly good as well as Deadwood. I find it really hard to find good films these days both because so many suck, but also lack of time, or focus to find them. My defaults lately are Argo, Gran Torino, Midway (new one too as it has great scenes), Valkyrie, Tombstone, Point Break (1991) and series such as John Adams, Band of Brothers and the Pacific. And I did recently watch Only the Brave which was a really cool true story.
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,378
And1: 6,228
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#928 » by canman1971 » Fri May 1, 2020 1:16 am

Also, "Downfall" is a fantastic foreign film (if you are not German I guess) about the craziness of the end of Hitler and the Third Reich.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#929 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri May 1, 2020 1:23 am

threrf23 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you. The first three I've already seen and liked. And here's why I dislike Netflix (and now also Amazon Prime): I searched for "Primal Fear" and got 28 results, none of which is "Primal fear." But yes, I did get "Fear," "Shadow of Fear," "Primal Screen," "Primal Survivor," and so on. The movie you are looking for may be a masterpiece, but the movies shown in your search results in Amazon/Netflix would all be rejected by third-string cable channels. Searches get even more fun when you look for a specific actor or director -- pretty sad.


Taking a quick glance, one movie I like that you can watch via Amazon Prime is Dead Awake, the 2001 movie with Stephen Baldwin (not the better known one). It's low budget, and maybe a satire on something art house / psychological more than anything intellectual, but its entertaining provided you can appreciate offbeat humor.

The Chumscrubber and Hesher are also good, funny movies available on Prime.

My only other contribution, is that within the past few weeks I have finally made the switch over the Fire/Roku sticks (I now have both), and I have found that many of the apps which allow you stream movies for free (usually with commercials, that you may or may not be able to skip thru via the back button) offer a better selection of movies than Netflix, Prime, and other paid options. Like, there are some good, semi obscure movies I originally came across on late night cable years ago, that aren't available thru Netflix or Amazon, and which can't even be downloaded via bittorrent, that you can stream easily and for free using a Fire Stick or Roku Player. There are lots of mainstream movies you can stream as well.

For me, that is the route to go. Cheaper, better, and commercials serve as intermissions.

(also, I'm liking Roku more than Fire, slightly better interface, slightly better selection, and I can set a clock as my screensaver)

Of all the movies you mentioned, only "Hesher" is available here in Canada. Added to my watch list. Thanks for the recommendation.

I tried a couple of those free platforms, but am liking Netflix better. I do agree 100% about Roku, it's what I've been using since I cut the cord 6-7 years ago. No complaints at all.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#930 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri May 1, 2020 1:31 am

canman1971 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
canman1971 wrote:I know. Tought as you never know what others have seen. "Boondock Saints" is awesome (probably have seen it). "Way of the Gun" is good. "True Grit" "Gran Torino" "Munich" "The Frozen Ground" "Primal Fear" are all ones I have watched and enjoyed.

Thank you. The first three I've already seen and liked. And here's why I dislike Netflix (and now also Amazon Prime): I searched for "Primal Fear" and got 28 results, none of which is "Primal fear." But yes, I did get "Fear," "Shadow of Fear," "Primal Screen," "Primal Survivor," and so on. The movie you are looking for may be a masterpiece, but the movies shown in your search results in Amazon/Netflix would all be rejected by third-string cable channels. Searches get even more fun when you look for a specific actor or director -- pretty sad.

Masterpiece, I don't know, but it's a cool thriller with Edward Norton and Richard Gere(who's not a favorite of mine). But yeah, I get your point, sometimes I spend more time trying to find something to watch, I end up just defaulting to things I have already seen many times. I know you said you weren't interested in series, but I saw on Amazon they have Boardwalk Empire, which is fantastic and I just finished Hunters, which was surprisingly good as well as Deadwood. I find it really hard to find good films these days both because so many suck, but also lack of time, or focus to find them. My defaults lately are Argo, Gran Torino, Midway (new one too as it has great scenes), Valkyrie, Tombstone, Point Break (1991) and series such as John Adams, Band of Brothers and the Pacific. And I did recently watch Only the Brave which was a really cool true story.

I am interested in series but don't think I have enough time to watch any before the trial month ends. "Boardwalk Empire" and "Deadwood" are not on Amazon Prime Canada, though... I'm starting to think we are getting washed-down versions of Prime and Netflix here... Thanks for all the recommendations.

EDIT: Absolutely none of the titles you suggested are available on Prime Canada (except Argo, which I watched years ago and really liked).

The suckness. I did add "Only the Brave" to my watch list on Netflix.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 6,627
And1: 15,244
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#931 » by The Comedian » Fri May 1, 2020 11:10 pm

"Dave" on FX/Hulu really came into it's own over the course of the first season. "Hype Man" and "Jail" were two of the better tv episodes I've seen over the last few months.

User avatar
Tatumfor2
Senior
Posts: 573
And1: 877
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
     

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#932 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat May 2, 2020 7:02 am

"Money Heist" has been hard to turn off. I find myself watching "just one more", and then Netflix kindly reminds me it's bedtime.
:violin:
Pacino62
Analyst
Posts: 3,103
And1: 2,323
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#933 » by Pacino62 » Sat May 2, 2020 12:19 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:Can anybody recommend any good movies available on Amazon Prime Video? I'm halfway through my one-month trial and I don't think I'll renew, but want to extract as much juice as possible.

So far I've watched "The Report," "Midsommar" (a slight disappointment), "The Lookout" (second time, I like this one), "The Falling," "Booksmart," and "Heaven Adores You" (documentary on Elliott Smith). On my watch list: "Caché," "The Lighthouse," "Sound City," and a couple short documentaries.

Not really interested in series or miniseries, as I only have a couple weeks left. Thanks for the assist!


Although I’m super disappointed about your Midsommar comments :wink: Here’s a few after a quick scan or Prime:

I See You
The Farewell
Suspiria
You Were Never Really Here
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Killing of a Sacred Deer
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Light of My Life
Hereditary
Climax
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#934 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat May 2, 2020 4:15 pm

Pacino62 wrote:Although I’m super disappointed about your Midsommar comments :wink:

:D I wasn't blown away as I had expected after all the hype. That's the problem with hype - If I had just stumbled upon it, I probably would be hyping it myself.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I See You - Added to watchlist
The Farewell - Added
Suspiria - Added
You Were Never Really Here - Added
The Last Black Man in San Francisco - Not available on Prime Canada
Killing of a Sacred Deer - Already on my list on Netflix
We Need to Talk About Kevin - Not available
Light of My Life - Already on my list on Netflix
Hereditary - Already watched (and liked)
Climax - Not available

You may like "The Babadook" and "Calibre." The latter is a personal favourite.
Pacino62
Analyst
Posts: 3,103
And1: 2,323
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#935 » by Pacino62 » Sat May 2, 2020 6:48 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:Although I’m super disappointed about your Midsommar comments :wink:

:D I wasn't blown away as I had expected after all the hype. That's the problem with hype - If I had just stumbled upon it, I probably would be hyping it myself.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I See You - Added to watchlist
The Farewell - Added
Suspiria - Added
You Were Never Really Here - Added
The Last Black Man in San Francisco - Not available on Prime Canada
Killing of a Sacred Deer - Already on my list on Netflix
We Need to Talk About Kevin - Not available
Light of My Life - Already on my list on Netflix
Hereditary - Already watched (and liked)
Climax - Not available

You may like "The Babadook" and "Calibre." The latter is a personal favourite.


Yeah. I love The Babadook and Calibre. Both really good. Going to rent The Wretched on demand later today. Just dropped yesterday. Really excited for that one. If you have Hulu, check out The Nightengale. I think you’d really enjoy that based on your taste. Little Woods is another great flick on Hulu. If you don’t have Hulu, you should consider it. Easily my favorite of all the streaming services.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#936 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun May 3, 2020 1:27 am

Pacino62 wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:Although I’m super disappointed about your Midsommar comments :wink:

:D I wasn't blown away as I had expected after all the hype. That's the problem with hype - If I had just stumbled upon it, I probably would be hyping it myself.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I See You - Added to watchlist
The Farewell - Added
Suspiria - Added
You Were Never Really Here - Added
The Last Black Man in San Francisco - Not available on Prime Canada
Killing of a Sacred Deer - Already on my list on Netflix
We Need to Talk About Kevin - Not available
Light of My Life - Already on my list on Netflix
Hereditary - Already watched (and liked)
Climax - Not available

You may like "The Babadook" and "Calibre." The latter is a personal favourite.


Yeah. I love The Babadook and Calibre. Both really good. Going to rent The Wretched on demand later today. Just dropped yesterday. Really excited for that one. If you have Hulu, check out The Nightengale. I think you’d really enjoy that based on your taste. Little Woods is another great flick on Hulu. If you don’t have Hulu, you should consider it. Easily my favorite of all the streaming services.

Hulu is not available in Canada yet. I would've sworn that I saw The Nightingale listed on either Netflix or Prime this last week, but now it's not available. Oh well...
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,378
And1: 6,228
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#937 » by canman1971 » Sun May 3, 2020 5:38 pm

This dude is awesome. Hilarious. And who doesn't need a good laugh. Don't watch with your children, unless they are adults. And it's real. Just cooking ideas.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,529
And1: 11,840
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#938 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon May 4, 2020 4:09 am

Thoroughly enjoyed "Cold War," a Polish film on Prime Video. Beautiful black and white cinematography and great acting. It's a challenge to find something interesting on these streaming platforms amid the 98% fat, but when you do it's very rewarding.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
Posts: 18,906
And1: 6,017
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
 

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#939 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon May 4, 2020 5:12 am

Just made myself cross-eyed scrolling through that damn Amazon app.. here's what jumped out:

Some straight classics you may have seen already:
The Long Goodbye
The Conversation
Sweet Smell of Success
The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
Paths of Glory

A bunch of David Cronenberg:
The Dead Zone (based on Stephen King novel, Christopher Walken, looks very 80's but surprisingly atmospheric)
Cosmopolis - based on a Don Delillo novel, follows character in limousine - kind of art-y
Dead Ringers - weird weird psychodrama about twin gynecologists

Definite recommendations:
House of Games - David Mamet - a psychiatrist falls in with a bunch of card sharks to study their psychology
Manchester By The Sea - intense, wrenching Boston-area drama , maybe too depressing
Meek's Cutoff - kind of an indie western

The Act of Killing / The Look of Silence - have only watched the first of the two, it's.. really disturbing, but it's jumped into like, top 5-10 documentaries of all time - the premise is just staggering
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,103
And1: 2,511
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#940 » by threrf23 » Mon May 4, 2020 5:39 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:House of Games - David Mamet - a psychiatrist falls in with a bunch of card sharks to study their psychology


I second this recommendation.

Return to Boston Celtics