ImageImageImage

The Knicks Scenario

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,233

Re: The Knicks Scenario 

Post#81 » by djFan71 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:32 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
AD?

You just had to go there, huh?

You started it... :) I'm guessing the math doesn't quite work, and/or they'd have literally nobody else but vet mins.

32.4m each for KD and Kyrie, 27m for AD, 16m to fill out the roster. Lee would have to go. Knox could probably stay, given that they would already be giving up KP and a top 5 pick.

Yeah, that's not cool at all, lol.

Timing is tough, though. I think they gotta get it all done by the deadline to get rid of THJ in the AD deal, and Lee for an expiring. If you wait, then KP is a lot harder to trade as an RFA and takes up more of the incoming money for NOP, making including THJ salary harder. Maybe it works somehow, not sure.

Seems a lot easier to do at the deadline. But, then I think they'd have to godfather the heck out of the deal to make New Orleans bite early. Which probably means Knox, too. Otherwise it comes down to the lottery to determine if KP/THJ/NYK 1st beats Jayson/Jaylen/SAC 1st.

ETA: Or they dump both Lee AND THJ this deadline, but probably have to use assets to accomplish that.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#82 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:39 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:Give me a scenario in which they can free up enough money to max them both out.

I already did.

Dump Hardaway Jr and Lee, let everyone else walk, wait to resign KP. It's close, but doable.

You seem to be the only person who thinks that is an easy option.

Was one of only a few who thought we should trade Al Jefferson for KG, too.

Wasn't aware of the THJ trade kicker that Sully brought up, but shouldn't be a problem if that's what they want to do.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,391

Post#83 » by K For Three » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 am

I hope he doesn't leave. I pray he doesn't leave. I bet he is recruiting though like reload said. We need to get "that guy" to put next to Kyrie. Hell maybe even two since I have doubts on Gordon now as well.

It does concern me, but man it also hurts since I know in NY he would be their golden boy. With his eccentric personality and loving the bright lights he could have a blast there.

And I hated it after our Knicks games this year David Fizdale would make comments like "Kyrie Irving is one guy I would pay to see play."

They would sign him in a New York minute.
But I still have hope we can make it work in Boston with Kyrie.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,391

Post#84 » by K For Three » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 am

Oh dear help us all. The NY media is relentless right now.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/kyrie-irving-is-taking-notice-of-nets-improving-young-core/

The Nets could use not only Irving’s elite ability, but his single-minded obsession. He grew up in West Orange and graduated from St. Patrick’s in Elizabeth, but can a team that’s done this much losing convince Irving — or Kawhi Leonard, or any other max free agent — that it can put a contender around him?

“They’re playing well and in a spot that I know they want to be in, fighting for their eighth, seventh, sixth spot,” Irving said. “Obviously the top five teams are pretty solid in the Eastern Conference. Those guys can sneak right in there.

“They’re a young core figuring it out. So it’s exciting to see what they’ve been able to accomplish this season starting off the way they did and now coming along pretty strong as of late, playing pretty well.”
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#85 » by mbsnmisc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:51 am

Kyrie is a classic NYC point guard. All sizzle, no steak, and he loves to hear his own voice echo around in his empty head. We have to keep him, DRA doesn't throw away assets, but Tatum or another player needs to be our Alpha. Kyrie Irving isn't leading anyone anywhere near a title.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#86 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
AD?

You just had to go there, huh?

You started it... :) I'm guessing the math doesn't quite work, and/or they'd have literally nobody else but vet mins.

32.4m each for KD and Kyrie, 27m for AD, 16m to fill out the roster. Lee would have to go. Knox could probably stay, given that they would already be giving up KP and a top 5 pick.

Yeah, that's not cool at all, lol.

KD is eligible for the 35% super-max due to his accrued years of service and will start at ~38.2m.

The more I think about it, clearing ~71M in space will be exceptionally tough for the Knicks to do. KP’s cap hold is approximately 17, Knox is another 4, Ntilikina is 5, Trier is 4, Robinson is 1.5 and empty roster holds should be about another 5. There first round pick should be 4 to 8M. And thats assuming theyre able to dump THJr, Lee and Lance Thomas for no future money.

There best bet to get both would be to trade for one of Kyrie or KD now.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#87 » by NYKAL » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Turgon wrote:Not seeing it. At least not that easily. Porzingis is supposedly pissed because they're holding him back and if they issue a qualifying offer that's at least 8 million more (and someone will throw him money).
They also need to attach something to dump Hardaway and Lee and they don't have that much to offer. As for the pick, we'll have to wait and see but the new odds work against them.

In short, a lot of things would need to go their way in order to make things work.

his injury is whats holding him back. Can't complain about team direction until you are sure of your own direction. Come back healthy and physical ready. Prove you still have it and then, you can show frustration but, right now, stfu, get healthy to show and prove.
Turgon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,607

Post#88 » by Turgon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:12 pm

reload141 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
reload141 wrote:If the Knicks are holding out KP for a whole year not sure that’s really enticing for FA’s.

7”3 coming off an ACL with a decent injury history (72, 66, 48) I mean, I know ACL’s are a lot easier to come back from nowadays but still.... if I was FA I’d want to see that he’s recovered and playing again first.

Top 5 pick likely incoming, and quite possibly Durant. Porzingis not even the heart of it, IMO.

Let’s just scurry their plans and do a S&T for Durant here instead.

Done and done. Haha

I don't think we can get Durant in a S&T because the BYC clause would apply. Or at least I think it would.

We could trade for him, but I don't see a scenario where GS would want to keep paying the gigantic luxury tax resulting from getting our assets and re-signing Klay.

Edit: I guess the BYC clause would only apply if he took a raise bigger than 20%. Not sure though.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#89 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Turgon wrote:
reload141 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Top 5 pick likely incoming, and quite possibly Durant. Porzingis not even the heart of it, IMO.

Done and done. Haha

I don't think we can get Durant in a S&T because the BYC clause would apply. Or at least I think it would.

We could trade for him, but I don't see a scenario where GS would want to keep paying the gigantic luxury tax resulting from getting our assets and re-signing Klay.

Edit: I guess the BYC clause would only apply if he took a raise bigger than 20%. Not sure though.

The Warriors are completely capped out and would have absolutely no way to fill Durant's shoes other than using the taxpayer MLE slot. They're opening next season in their new arena, which will probably have ridiculously expensive ticket prices. If push came to shove, I think they would be open to a sign-and-trade if they could get back assets for Durant, rather than letting him walk to the Clippers or Knicks for nothing. The Warriors have no choice but to do a sign-and-trade if they want to keep their window of contention open. Curry/Thompson/Green won a title before KD, but they had Bogut/Barnes and a younger Iggy and Iguodala off the bench. They're going to need to replenish their role players if KD walks.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#90 » by fallguy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I already did.

Dump Hardaway Jr and Lee, let everyone else walk, wait to resign KP. It's close, but doable.

You seem to be the only person who thinks that is an easy option.

Was one of only a few who thought we should trade Al Jefferson for KG, too.

Wasn't aware of the THJ trade kicker that Sully brought up, but shouldn't be a problem if that's what they want to do.

I wasn't on this board for the KG trade but it is crazy to me that anyone wasn't thrilled at that deal.
Turgon
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by Turgon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Turgon wrote:
reload141 wrote:

Done and done. Haha

The Warriors are completely capped out and would have absolutely no way to fill Durant's shoes other than using the taxpayer MLE slot. They're opening next season in their new arena, which will probably have ridiculously expensive ticket prices. If push came to shove, I think they would be open to a sign-and-trade if they could get back assets for Durant, rather than letting him walk to the Clippers or Knicks for nothing. The Warriors have no choice but to do a sign-and-trade if they want to keep their window of contention open. Curry/Thompson/Green won a title before KD, but they had Bogut/Barnes and a younger Iggy and Iguodala off the bench. They're going to need to replenish their role players if KD walks.

In that case would Horford be a good option for them? Expiring contract, very good defender, seems like he would fit well in their scheme... In terms of salary it's basically the one player who would make sense for us (of course, add picks as necessary).

Then sell the farm for Davis.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#92 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Turgon wrote:
Turgon wrote:

In that case would Horford be a good option for them? Expiring contract, very good defender, seems like he would fit well in their scheme... In terms of salary it's basically the one player who would make sense for us (of course, add picks as necessary).

If Al decides to opt-in, then yeah, it's almost like he's punching his ticket out of town via trade because he then becomes a $30 million expiring contract next season, and yeah, if push came to shove, I'm sure Golden State would be ok with getting 1 year of Horford vs absolutely nothing. (Again, this is all going on the assumption that a) KD wanted to come to Boston, and (b) Golden State did not have sign-and-trade options available with other teams).

I expect Al to opt out though, for the exact reason above.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#93 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Turgon wrote:Not seeing it. At least not that easily. Porzingis is supposedly pissed because they're holding him back and if they issue a qualifying offer that's at least 8 million more (and someone will throw him money).
They also need to attach something to dump Hardaway and Lee and they don't have that much to offer. As for the pick, we'll have to wait and see but the new odds work against them.

In short, a lot of things would need to go their way in order to make things work.

his injury is whats holding him back. Can't complain about team direction until you are sure of your own direction. Come back healthy and physical ready. Prove you still have it and then, you can show frustration but, right now, stfu, get healthy to show and prove.

They are tanking, as they should.

Porzingis, and to a lesser extent Kanter, threaten their ability to do that successfully.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#94 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Turgon wrote:

If Al decides to opt-in, then yeah, it's almost like he's punching his ticket out of town via trade because he then becomes a $30 million expiring contract next season, and yeah, if push came to shove, I'm sure Golden State would be ok with getting 1 year of Horford vs absolutely nothing. (Again, this is all going on the assumption that a) KD wanted to come to Boston, and (b) Golden State did not have sign-and-trade options available with other teams).

Al would fit well on the Dubs, but it would be something like Jaylen, Smart and picks, IMO.

Curry/Smart
Klay
Jaylen/Iggy
Dray
Boogie

Use the picks to fill out the roster.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#95 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Turgon wrote:

Al would fit well on the Dubs, but it would be something like Jaylen, Smart and picks, IMO.

Curry/Smart
Klay
Jaylen/Iggy
Dray
Boogie

Boogie will be gone from them next year since they don't have his Bird rights. And I'd have no problem sending those guys mentioned in exchange for KD, but Jaylen and Smart only take up about $19 million together. KD is going to want his max, which is around $38m. I'm not sure how we get to that number unless Hayward or Horford are going back (and for the record, I'd much prefer to keep Smart and Horford over Hayward anyways). Perhaps we do a double sign-and-trade and send them Mook at $16m, but I doubt they'd want 3 years of him at that price? I dunno. We'll see this summer I guess.

But yeah, February 7 is going to be a scary deadline day if I see any tweets involving the Knicks.
Turgon
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by Turgon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Curry/Smart
Klay
Jaylen/Iggy
Dray
Boogie

Boogie will be gone from them next year since they don't have his Bird rights. And I'd have no problem sending those guys mentioned in exchange for KD, but Jaylen and Smart only take up about $19 million together. KD is going to want his max, which is around $38m. I'm not sure how we get to that number unless Hayward or Horford are going back (and for the record, I'd much prefer to keep Smart and Horford over Hayward anyways). Perhaps we do a double sign-and-trade and send them Mook at $16m, but I doubt they'd want 3 years of him at that price? I dunno. We'll see this summer I guess.

But yeah, February 7 is going to be a scary deadline day if I see any tweets involving the Knicks.

Mook is the one who wouldn't be possible to trade in a S&T because of the BYC. Rozier on the other hand...
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#97 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Curry/Smart
Klay
Jaylen/Iggy
Dray
Boogie

Boogie might not be gone, especially if KD goes. Good stuff on the rest.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#98 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 am

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#99 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252345/Knicks-Make-Tim-Hardaway-Jr-Courtney-Lee-Available-In-Trade-Talks

Gunna need to move more than that to free up the 71M needed to sign KD and Kyrie.

Hell, they need to move one of those guys for no future money to just be able to offer KD his ~38M deal this offseason.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#100 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252345/Knicks-Make-Tim-Hardaway-Jr-Courtney-Lee-Available-In-Trade-Talks

Gunna need to move more than that to free up the 71M needed to sign KD and Kyrie.

Hell, they need to move one of those guys for no future money to just be able to offer KD his ~38M deal this offseason.

Not really.

Everyone else that needs to get dumped is expiring or non-guaranteed, save Ntilikina. Porzingis' cap hold is $17m. It's doable.

Return to Boston Celtics