ImageImageImage

Brad Stevens needs to own this pile of crap

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Brad Stevens needs to own this pile of crap 

Post#21 » by cloverleaf » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Gooner wrote:Stevens has to be ready to deliver a title, and for that to happen, he has to be able to coach talented teams, not just those average teams that have nothing to lose. He is not holding these guys accountable, that's the biggest issue. He doesn't seem to have a strong enough personality for a team like this.

I actually don't think Stevens has been involved with a championship team, in any role, at any level. Not sure how much of his coaching staff has been either. And that's pretty rare in the NBA.

Stevens took butler to two national title Games. I think he can deal with expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand by my absolutely correct statement.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#22 » by ZeroTolerance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

NEVERMIND THE VIDEO......

This picture and what it suggests is the root of the problem IMO....

You have yourself a "superstar" player who wants to play with other superstars....And the rest of the team would just as soon let him do that....This is the modern NBA folks!...... IT SUCKS!

The All Star game and all it has become SUCKS TOO!

They should call it "Prima Donna" weekend and get it over with...

It's the biggest bunch of BS in sports!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#23 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Shake up the Lineup.
Don't wait 'til the bottom falls out, to make changes on the fly, or overall.

Stop entitling players, due to experience.
If they suck, then they suck. Take them out.

AND -- If you're gonna play tired Vets, who aren't doing jack ****.
Then you can play Up and Coming Rookies (like TimeLord) more minutes, too.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,055

Post#24 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:49 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Btw..Jaylen and Rozier player TERRIFIC two way ball against the Lakers..they got benched the last 4 minutes for guys like Smart and Morris who SUCKED all night.

No surprise they come out and dog it last night. Brad needs to reward players who play well and screw his **** rotations. If Hayward is 2 for 10 and Brown is 7 for 9..put Brown in first..not Hayward. If Rozier is hot and Smart is trash, put Rozier in and nott Smart.

The way Stevens has handled these guys this year to me is probably one of the things causing the biggest problems on this team. He has a clear preference for some guys and has often hung guys to dry to play others who weren't working well. Dude has been trash.

How many teams don't return to their starters for the closing minutes of close games? If they "dogged it" last night -- and I don't think they did, TRo played decently, JB was his usual uneven self -- then shame on him.

But I agree Stevens has performed inadequately as a coach so far this season.

How many teams have bench players who can significantly outplay the starters though?

Jaylen Brown had 19 points, 2nd best player on the floor vs LAL and he got benched for a 1-9 shooting Smart and Hayward who isn't a starter btw. There isn't a player in the world that will break his back out there for you if you can't reward him for it when he does. That's something that has happened more than a few times this year, not only to Brown but to Rozier also and it's not fair. In the beginning of the year when Jaylen started, when he played like **** he never got a chance to come back in the game to finish it out even though he was a starter. Hayward did. Now when he plays well off the bench and starters suck, they get the chance that he never did. How is that fair? There obviously is some sort of resentment in the mind of these guys for these decisions. Not saying they aren't to blame for anything but clearly these guys are getting bummed at times.

When I say dog it I mean they didn't play with the same intensity and effort from the Lakers game. Both have been great lately though imo.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#25 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm

I just wonder what the hell is going on in the locker room. Do they not get along? Are there people causing issues? Not sure how you can simply turn that around

It sounds bad based on what Morris said last night
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#26 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:Not sure Stevens knows how to get their attention?.....I'd sit them all down next game and start the third string.....And when the game gets out of reach, bring the front line players in for garbage time....Maybe then, they would get the message? :x

I'm sure that's what Tommy or Red would do!

Red was so afraid of insulting Russell and some others that he'd yell at Tommy for other guys' transgressions.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#27 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
I actually don't think Stevens has been involved with a championship team, in any role, at any level. Not sure how much of his coaching staff has been either. And that's pretty rare in the NBA.

Stevens took butler to two national title Games. I think he can deal with expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand by my absolutely correct statement.

It's a statement that's a bit hard to check. E.g., did Nick Nurse win any titles in the British Basketball League? Who knows?

Edit: My bad. His BBL and D-league championships are listed right on his Wikipedia page.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#28 » by ZeroTolerance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:Not sure Stevens knows how to get their attention?.....I'd sit them all down next game and start the third string.....And when the game gets out of reach, bring the front line players in for garbage time....Maybe then, they would get the message? :x

"Tommy" was so afraid of insulting Russell and some others that he'd yell at Tommy for other guys' transgressions.

You meant "Red".... right?

It would be great if all this could be cured by just letting Tommy unleash a rampage of insults and four letter words on the refs...Get himself thrown out of a game...and fined and suspended by the league...But I wonder if that would even catch the eye of some of them?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#29 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#30 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:13 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

"Tommy" was so afraid of insulting Russell and some others that he'd yell at Tommy for other guys' transgressions.

You meant "Red".... right?

It would be great if all this could be cured by just letting Tommy unleash a rampage of insults and four letter words on the refs...Get himself thrown out of a game...and fined and suspended by the league...But I wonder if that would even catch the eye of some of them?

Sorry about that! I'll go back and fix it.

I don't recall any stories about whether Tommy used the same technique in his coaching days, and absent clear recall, I can't guess. On the one hand, he admired it. On the other, I think it bothered him a bit when it was done to him.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,358

Post#31 » by K For Three » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 am

I think he's a great coach. I also think he is in an awkward position that is not his fault with so many players who want to be starters. We would have probably liked to have moved someone at the deadline but we can't due to that man in New Orleans whose name slips my tongue.

So just have to hope they can find some sort of balance.....and hope the playoff rotations will help even out this mess at times when starters get heavier minutes.

It's not an accident they sometimes look better if a few guys miss a game since it frees up usage for other guys. But it's tough since these guys are all trying to think about the present games and ignore the noise of the future.

I went to the Raptors game on January 16th and it was maybe the best I have seen this team look all year, and everyone was there healthy. How the minutes were managed in that game pleased me.
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,985

Post#32 » by tfribs45 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 am

Brad needs to show some damn emotion on the bench. This team needs a good old fashioned can of whoop a$$. He needs to take charge laid back personality or not. It’s getting old, time to step it up and shorten the rotation for a playoff push. The 5th seed is recipe for disaster
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,224

Post#33 » by Parasite » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:58 am

Stevens seems like a good guy but that’s part of the problem. I don’t think he has the stones to put his foot down and stand up to these guys.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#34 » by GregB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 am

Pile of crap? These last two losses have stung but we have been one of the best teams in basketball the last 30 games.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#35 » by grindtime22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Stevens is never going to publicly berate players the way some you want him to. It is not his style. He is going to do it under the radar when he does it. There are a number of reports of him doing these things low key.

Take a step back and relax. He can't coach talent, but our most talented player is having the best season of his career. When Kyrie is on the floor, we are elite. With Kyrie, our offense is at 113.8 points per possession and and the defense at 104.9. For reference, the Warriors have the #1 overall team offense at 115.1 and Houston is #2 all the way down at 111.6. We still have a top 10 defense when Kyrie is on the floor. I'm sure Brad would love Kyrie to play 40 mins a game, but the goal has always been to have him for the playoffs. The guy missed the postseason last year with an injury. He has had a number of different things this year. Yet, people want to play him a lot more minutes? Get him to the postseason and then he can get those minutes.

The other main addition to last years overachievers is Hayward. If was never injured and had these results, then you might be able to say he can't coach talent. He is a role player at this point. He is getting better and they right play is to do everything we can to aide his improvement.

When the sky is falling all around, Stevens is going to be the one to keep his cool and make a calm decision. I'm good with that.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#36 » by greenroom31 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm

In a highly competitive team with a bunch of guys at similar levels, the area Brad is most responsible for locker room issues is gifting Hayward minutes and holding him to a different standard than the other players. It's not just that Hayward plays more minutes than Brown or Rozier (both playing well off the bench lately), it's that he's in there to end games and for key possessions even when he's struggled all game.

It's one thing to have a different standard for Kyrie or a vet like Horford who is at a different stage of his career. It's another to ask young guys who probably believe they are better than Hayward (and frankly they would be right through the first 50+ games of this season) to defer and play less minutes without having them get salty.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#37 » by greenroom31 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 pm

grindtime22 wrote:Stevens is never going to publicly berate players the way some you want him to. It is not his style. He is going to do it under the radar when he does it. There are a number of reports of him doing these things low key.

I have no desire to hear him publicly berate players. What I'd like to see is when someone consistently plays like **** or shows no effort defensively (misses rotations, etc.) it's reflected in their minutes. Another way to say this would be accountability.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#38 » by sully00 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

s1ickd wrote:A lot of Celtics fans and media are completely missing one thing:

Brad Steven's is not as effective as guys like Pop, Doc, Riley, Jackson, etc when it comes to managing large personalities in a locker room. He is actually average to inadequaate at getting people to accept a lesser role. So far in his young career, this seems to he his ass Achilles heel among his many coaching talents. All of the all time great coaches had the ability to motivate and manage big and conflicting personalities.

Who? Don't talk in generalities site examples. Because the inverse is that he got a lot out of guys who for the most part have been total jackpots otherwise?

He got Rondo to the trade block before it imploded and he has gone on to be total headache everywhere, love him or hate him he is at the center of chaos on everyone of his teams.

He kept Jeff Green going as a marginal primary option to the point that we got what is now one of Boston's most coveted trade assets for him the Mem 1st.

Jarod Sullinger?

Turned Isaiah Thomas into a superstar who five mins after he is dealt everyone comes out and says he is a total handful that nobody wants in the room.

Turns Jae Crowder into the kind of player who thinks he should pop off in the media because he is that good (he isn't and he has probably done the same thing to Marcus Morris).

Has managed a modern day Ron Artest in Marcus Smart with way more ups than downs. Add to that what he has gotten out of Rozier.

Convinced to team first classy FA's who really had their pick of teams to come to Boston in Horford and Rozier.

Developed two top 3 picks into legit NBA talents and in the case of Tatum a likely All Star.

Right now he has not been able to manage the mercurial Kyrie Irving who wasn't happy playing for titles with Lebron James, whose team may play better without than with him, and who doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind about what he wants and that may not matter in the end because knee problems that have plagued him since he was teenager may derail his career.

I am sorry I don't blame Stevens for not being able to manage this situation I blame Ainge for creating it. Not in a bad way you take your shots but your responsible for them. He is the one who insists on putting his young talent's name in the rumor mill and then expecting them to go and give their all for him and this team and it doesn't work that way. Ainge let the Davis rumor mill get so crazy that even Irving has to wonder if he is in the plan at this point.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#39 » by grindtime22 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:24 pm

greenroom31 wrote:In a highly competitive team with a bunch of guys at similar levels, the area Brad is most responsible for locker room issues is gifting Hayward minutes and holding him to a different standard than the other players. It's not just that Hayward plays more minutes than Brown or Rozier (both playing well off the bench lately), it's that he's in there to end games and for key possessions even when he's struggled all game.

It's one thing to have a different standard for Kyrie or a vet like Horford who is at a different stage of his career. It's another to ask young guys who probably believe they are better than Hayward (and frankly they would be right through the first 50+ games of this season) to defer and play less minutes without having them get salty.

It's a credit to how good Hayward can be that he has been so poor and still outplayed Brown and Rozier. Our offense takes a huge step down when Rozier hits the floor. Hayward has a 5.9 net rating, Brown at 3.3, Rozier at 1.4. It looks slow and un-athletic, but he has still been better than both of those guys. Better passer, better scoring efficiency despite being off, and can run an offense when Rozier and Brown can't.

Hayward is avg. 25.8 mins a game, Brown 25.9, Rozier 23.1. Its not like he is getting 30+ a game
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#40 » by Marvel » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:02 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Btw..Jaylen and Rozier player TERRIFIC two way ball against the Lakers..they got benched the last 4 minutes for guys like Smart and Morris who SUCKED all night.

No surprise they come out and dog it last night. Brad needs to reward players who play well and screw his **** rotations. If Hayward is 2 for 10 and Brown is 7 for 9..put Brown in first..not Hayward. If Rozier is hot and Smart is trash, put Rozier in and nott Smart.

The way Stevens has handled these guys this year to me is probably one of the things causing the biggest problems on this team. He has a clear preference for some guys and has often hung guys to dry to play others who weren't working well. Dude has been trash.

How many teams don't return to their starters for the closing minutes of close games? If they "dogged it" last night -- and I don't think they did, TRo played decently, JB was his usual uneven self -- then shame on him.

But I agree Stevens has performed inadequately as a coach so far this season.

How many teams have bench players who can significantly outplay the starters though?

Jaylen Brown had 19 points, 2nd best player on the floor vs LAL and he got benched for a 1-9 shooting Smart and Hayward who isn't a starter btw. There isn't a player in the world that will break his back out there for you if you can't reward him for it when he does. That's something that has happened more than a few times this year, not only to Brown but to Rozier also and it's not fair. In the beginning of the year when Jaylen started, when he played like **** he never got a chance to come back in the game to finish it out even though he was a starter. Hayward did. Now when he plays well off the bench and starters suck, they get the chance that he never did. How is that fair? There obviously is some sort of resentment in the mind of these guys for these decisions. Not saying they aren't to blame for anything but clearly these guys are getting bummed at times.

When I say dog it I mean they didn't play with the same intensity and effort from the Lakers game. Both have been great lately though imo.

It's not and it's obvious Brad has his Hayward crush on full display. Even when JB is clearly playing better than Hayward, Brad still plays Hayward to close out games over him.

Return to Boston Celtics