ImageImageImage

Should Kyrie play in the ASG?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Should Kyrie play in the ASG, assuming he feels 100%?

Yes, however much he wants
33%
Yes, on a minutes restriction
17%
No
49%

Total votes: 75

amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Should Kyrie play in the ASG? 

Post#1 » by amory87 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm

After missing the Philly and Detroit games leading up to the break, to me playing on Sunday would be like skipping dinner to have dessert.

Brad said before the Detroit game that he doesn't mind if Kyrie plays as long as he's 100%, based on the rationale that he's going to need some on-court work to get ready regardless, so it may as well be in exhibition form at the All Star Game. I guess that makes sense to me in a way. I still think he and Danny would prefer he sits though.

What do y'all think?
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Re: Should Kyrie play in the ASG? 

Post#2 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:53 pm

He should not play a meaningless game.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,262

Post#3 » by brackdan70 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 pm

I would say no but I don’t know the whole nature of his strained knee. If he is feeling good and gets a little run that’s ok with me...but after missing two and a half games it seems like he shouldn’t play
Sign here
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#4 » by 31to6 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:07 pm

If he feels 100% then yes you want him out there building our brand and throwing lobs to AD.

Minutes are limited in an ASG anyway and no one goes hard.

OR fans and the media could freak out about it and try to make it a wedge issue with our free agent and only all star.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,364

Post#5 » by Homerclease » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:12 pm

If he feels up for it sure. Totally overblown talking point IMO. Dude is back on the court for the C’s when the games count again
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#6 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Danny, Brad and his teammates are ok with it. If they are, then I don't care.

Brad also mentioned that Kyrie would have been medically cleared if they had a game today, so it's not exactly like Kyrie is about to pull a Willis Reed out there on Sunday night.
amory87
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by amory87 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:23 pm

31to6 wrote:If he feels 100% then yes you want him out there building our brand and throwing lobs to AD.

OR fans and the media could freak out about it and try to make it a wedge issue with our free agent and only all star.

That's going to happen regardless. The national media coverage of the celtics has been 100% negative outside of Boston basically this whole season
31to6
RealGM

Post#8 » by 31to6 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:29 pm

amory87 wrote:
31to6 wrote:If he feels 100% then yes you want him out there building our brand and throwing lobs to AD.

That's going to happen regardless. The national media coverage of the celtics has been 100% negative outside of Boston basically this whole season

hence the **** ALL Y'ALL thread which may need a bump or two as we go:)
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#9 » by greenroom31 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:44 pm

31to6 wrote:
amory87 wrote:

Let's be honest -- the national media coverage is no more negative than the local coverage. That's part of why I haven't listened to the local stations since moving back to the area 6 months ago. I get my Celtics news via a few good reporters on twitter (same for Patriots coverage). Most of the media doesn't even watch the games, they just choose a storyline (or make one up by taking quotes out of context or by referencing anonymous sources) and run with it and hope people freak out. Somehow most of the time people still fall for it.
31to6
RealGM

Post#11 » by 31to6 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
amory87 wrote:That's going to happen regardless. The national media coverage of the celtics has been 100% negative outside of Boston basically this whole season

Let's be honest -- the national media coverage is no more negative than the local coverage. That's part of why I haven't listened to the local stations since moving back to the area 6 months ago. I get my Celtics news via a few good reporters on twitter (same for Patriots coverage). Most of the media doesn't even watch the games, they just choose a storyline (or make one up by taking quotes out of context or by referencing anonymous sources) and run with it and hope people freak out. Somehow most of the time people still fall for it.

"Is Kyrie Play All-Star? Teammates Mad??>"
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#12 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Absolutely not and whatever Stevens and Ainge are saying to support him playing is a load of ****. He should be sitting and putting the team first.

Of course Irving is going to Irving's going to do so he will 100% play this weekend. Wouldn't miss the opportunity to try and create his next Super team up close and personal.
*Insert witty signature here.*
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#13 » by truth18 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't care either way. This is a non starter imo.
YOU LOSE
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#14 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Hell **** no.

He's the only all-star we have on the team for sure. But there's no **** way he should play or that's a straight insult to the franchise. Just another one from mr 100 publically announced player meetings, mr 100 public complaints to the media, mr I don't owe anyone ****.
amory87
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by amory87 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:59 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
amory87 wrote:That's going to happen regardless. The national media coverage of the celtics has been 100% negative outside of Boston basically this whole season

I think the national coverage is worse, though admittedly I don't listen to Boston sports talk radio anymore since I stopped commuting a long distance in the morning/afternoon drive time. The NBC Sports Boston guys are fine.

The national talking heads shows though my god. There's never anything positive about this team. And it's weird because the Celtics, Danny Ainge, and Brad Stevens have been media darlings for the past few years at least. Maybe now that they're on the verge of actual contention (but really still on the outside looking in) rather than just plucky lovable underdogs, they're just an easy target. I do believe there's merit to the conspiracy theory that the media wants a NY or LA superteam and are collectively trying to ensure the C's not only don't get Davis, but also lose Irving. They're like trying to speak his departure into existence.

So yeah, whether he plays in the ASG or not, the media will craft a story around it to try to drive a wedge. We can count on that.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#16 » by cloverleaf » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Hell **** no.

He's the only all-star we have on the team for sure. But there's no **** way he should play or that's a straight insult to the franchise. Just another one from mr 100 publically announced player meetings, mr 100 public complaints to the media, mr I don't owe anyone ****.

So if he had taken an injury pass a couple of days ago, would they have named a replacement? What are the chances that Tatum could/would have been that replacement? (I'm not actually sure that being an AS this year would be a good thing for Jayson, btw.)
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#17 » by greenroom31 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:16 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Hell **** no.

So if he had taken an injury pass a couple of days ago, would they have named a replacement? What are the chances that Tatum could/would have been that replacement? (I'm not actually sure that being an AS this year would be a good thing for Jayson, btw.)

Oh lord, I can see the headline now: "Selfish Kyrie boxes out Tatum, opts to keep all-star spot"

I know it's hard guys, but try to keep some perspective -- he has a minor knee strain. There's nothing serious here, it's like a bruise. Playing a few minutes in some half-assed game it not an issue worth discussing and if he's not healthy he'll sit.

<sits back and watches as this thread balloons to 20 pages since there's nothing else to talk about>
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#18 » by 3D Chess » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 pm

Assuming he's healthy, of course he should. I don't see how this is even a question.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#19 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I legitimately dont understand why people are bothered by this. No one gives any effort in all-star games and there is virtually zero risk of re-injury. Let the dude have some fun.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#20 » by MyInsatiableOne » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm

I say no, but given how bizarre this season has been and how weird Kyrie is, I fully expect him to play.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics