ImageImageImage

The Keep Kyrie & Tatum Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

What Risks of Keeping both Kyrie & Tatum are you OK with?

Gutting Roster and Multiple Picks, for 1yr of Davis.
47%
Allowing Davis to be Traded in the Western Conference.
24%
Going for Davis in Free Agency.
29%

Total votes: 51

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: The Keep Kyrie & Tatum Thread 

Post#21 » by cloverleaf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

The only way Tatum is worth a year of AD is if that is what it takes to get Kyrie to reup.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#22 » by canman1971 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Valid wrote:I love him. He's our dude. Unfortunately, we are going to have to include him in the deal if we want Anthony Davis. Now, if we win the finals this year or at least push Golden State to the brink, maybe it's a different discussion, but as of right now, Tatum is on borrowed time in Boston.

Not true at all. Of course it might come to that, but a lot of factors have yet to be determined. Too many variable to make any realistic guesses right now.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#23 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:30 pm

You have 1 shot. 1.

If the kings pick moves up to 2 (like 1% chance) we can keep tatum in a trade for AD.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#24 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm

ermocrate wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:There is no keeping both Kyrie and Tatum, thats the issue. I’m more than fine with a “Keep Tatum” plan, but I want to hear what the plan for contention is if Kyrie walks.

Personally, the best I could come up with is trying to join an LA/NO Davis deal and wind up with Lonzo. We turn into a run’n’gun offense with a hyper-switchable defense. Perhaps Brown grows into a fringe all-star in a more transition heavy team and perhaps Lonzo improves his shooting trajectory in a new environment. A Lonzo-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Horford team could be super fun [though I’m not confident regarding their championship aspirations]. At the bare minimum, I would personally enjoy watching Lavar Ball mouth off against Magic/LeBron/LA/ADs Dad, though to be honest, I already enjoy him as is.

Well, with Hayward agurably back to his all-star form, a Tatum who's now the face of the franchise, Horford still one of the best big men outthere we can possibly spread Al's contract in 3 years and sign the best Free Agent on the market with our 30mill salary cap space. We have plenty of flexibility...

Even if Al opted out and you got him to take the league minimum.....hell, even if he walked away from the team, we are still close to the cap. We'd also have to renounce the rights to Rozier, Baynes, and Mook. Would have less than $20 million. Not going to find a single player making that little that can replace Al/Baynes/Mook/Rozier.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#25 » by ermocrate » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
ermocrate wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:There is no keeping both Kyrie and Tatum, thats the issue. I’m more than fine with a “Keep Tatum” plan, but I want to hear what the plan for contention is if Kyrie walks.

Personally, the best I could come up with is trying to join an LA/NO Davis deal and wind up with Lonzo. We turn into a run’n’gun offense with a hyper-switchable defense. Perhaps Brown grows into a fringe all-star in a more transition heavy team and perhaps Lonzo improves his shooting trajectory in a new environment. A Lonzo-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Horford team could be super fun [though I’m not confident regarding their championship aspirations]. At the bare minimum, I would personally enjoy watching Lavar Ball mouth off against Magic/LeBron/LA/ADs Dad, though to be honest, I already enjoy him as is.

Well, with Hayward agurably back to his all-star form, a Tatum who's now the face of the franchise, Horford still one of the best big men outthere we can possibly spread Al's contract in 3 years and sign the best Free Agent on the market with our 30mill salary cap space. We have plenty of flexibility...

Even if Al opted out and you got him to take the league minimum.....hell, even if he walked away from the team, we are still close to the cap. We'd also have to renounce the rights to Rozier, Baynes, and Mook. Would have less than $20 million. Not going to find a single player making that little that can replace Al/Baynes/Mook/Rozier.

We have 65M of cap holds if Al walks and obviously we are not going to resign those complimentary players, that's 37 million under the cap.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#26 » by Valid » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Valid wrote:I love him. He's our dude. Unfortunately, we are going to have to include him in the deal if we want Anthony Davis. Now, if we win the finals this year or at least push Golden State to the brink, maybe it's a different discussion, but as of right now, Tatum is on borrowed time in Boston.

Not true at all. Of course it might come to that, but a lot of factors have yet to be determined. Too many variable to make any realistic guesses right now.

I would love to believe you are right, but I don't see how we get Davis without including Tatum in the deal.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#27 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Valid wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

I would love to believe you are right, but I don't see how we get Davis without including Tatum in the deal.

We don’t. Your post was dead on. Anything else is wishful thinking.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#28 » by OldCeltics » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Roddy wrote:Image
yep

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#29 » by OldCeltics » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:52 pm

0.0% chance we keep Tatum if Davis trade occurs.

If no Davis we have 2 super stars in Irving and Tatum

Win/Win

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#30 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Keep Kyrie.
Keep Tatum.

Do NOT "Rob Peter to pay Paul".
Tatum has the ability to become a Superstar himself.

Risks:
1) Gutting Roster and Multiple Picks, for 1yr of Davis.
2) Allowing Davis to be Traded in the Western Conference.
3) Going for Davis in Free Agency.

IMHO, Danny Ainge will NOT risk Tatum and Gutting the Roster, for 1 year of Anthony Davis.

Read on Twitter

We are trading for AD if at all possible.

And will be title favorites next year.

This isn't difficult.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#31 » by KL78192020 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 pm

If you don't include Tatum there are other packages around the league. The only other way is to write of this year, take out Kyrie for the year with a fake injury. Rozier and Brown start and have an amazing rest of the year and playoffs and increase their value. Never gona happen lol.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#32 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:31 pm

canman1971 wrote:

The odds of landing AD without Tatum are below Blutarski's grade point average.

Why in the world are we still discussing that as a possibility?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#33 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

I Disagree. I seriously doubt that Danny includes Tatum for a mere 1yr Rental.
We shall see how it shapes up, though.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#34 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:22 pm

ermocrate wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
ermocrate wrote:Well, with Hayward agurably back to his all-star form, a Tatum who's now the face of the franchise, Horford still one of the best big men outthere we can possibly spread Al's contract in 3 years and sign the best Free Agent on the market with our 30mill salary cap space. We have plenty of flexibility...

We have 65M of cap holds if Al walks and obviously we are not going to resign those complimentary players, that's 37 million under the cap.

Wait....is that $37 million under the cap if Kyrie walks? How are you getting to this number?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#35 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm beginning to think a lot of the people who say AD isn't worth at least Tatum, Brown and picks have not seen him play much. The whole "If he's so good, how come he hasn't won?" talking point is a bad take. It took KG 9 years just to get out of the first round of the playoffs, and after he did that, he proceeded to miss the playoffs the next 3 years after.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#36 » by Baller1234a » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I'm beginning to think a lot of the people who say AD isn't worth at least Tatum, Brown and picks have not seen him play much. The whole "If he's so good, how come he hasn't won?" talking point is a bad take. It took KG 9 years just to get out of the first round of the playoffs, and after he did that, he proceeded to miss the playoffs the next 3 years after.

I don’t think the problem is what he’s worth, he’s an MVP candidate when healthy. I think the “problem” is we could get him cheaper than Tatum/Brown picks and don’t need to overpay (relative to the market not to his value in a vacuum)
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#37 » by Parliament10 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Baller1234a wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I'm beginning to think a lot of the people who say AD isn't worth at least Tatum, Brown and picks have not seen him play much. The whole "If he's so good, how come he hasn't won?" talking point is a bad take. It took KG 9 years just to get out of the first round of the playoffs, and after he did that, he proceeded to miss the playoffs the next 3 years after.

I don’t think the problem is what he’s worth, he’s an MVP candidate when healthy. I think the “problem” is we could get him cheaper than Tatum/Brown picks and don’t need to overpay (relative to the market not to his value in a vacuum)

Davis is Not worth Tatum & Brown. And then you have picks and fillers, too.
It's too much to give. It's pyrrhic, at best.

For 1yr, on top of all of this.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Baller1234a » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

Seeing you be right most of the time makes me wary of going against you, but on this I believe we could get AD without Tatum. As I laid out in a previous post (I believe in the last page) our packages without Tatum weighs up favorably with both the Lakers and the non-Zion Knicks package.
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Baller1234a » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:

Davis is Not worth Tatum & Brown. And then you have picks and fillers, too.
It's too much to give. It's pyrrhic, at best.

For 1yr, on top of all of this.

I believe AD is worth Tatum/Brown due to his MVP type play and push come see to shove (Knicks get Zion) I move both to get it done.

However, I don’t believe we will have to pay that much and am against going into the negotiations with the mindset that Tatum has to be included.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#40 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Baller1234a wrote:

No. Ainge isn't bidding against himself here. The Lakers and the Knicks are still in this race. We have the best piece to offer with Tatum, but is the gap between him and the rest of what's being offered big enough so that we can skimp out on the rest of the package? I'm not so sure.

Return to Boston Celtics