ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,468

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#981 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:13 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Teams can create cap room when they need to. Just as we did with Kemba. Half the league had that ability with Hayward on a 3-year deal that started at $19m prior to COVID.

On Jaylen, still not what I have been saying. I fully understand that slightly overpaying him due to a dearth of free agents this offseason was the only option, I am just lamenting that it had to be that way. And no, not at all realistic to think that we should have passed on Kemba or Hayward just to roll max cap room over for years on end. Even if, like Jaylen, they were and are realistically overpaid by $4m a year or so.

Back to the Pats, PFF stats are tenuous even when they are provided in the form of three seasons' worth of games, as I provided. In the form of a sample size of 4-5 games? Nah. Acting like playing a washed up Newton is saving the Pats from "nuking their culture" is also a bit dramatic. Post opt-outs, we were talking about 6-8 wins this year. Mostly because of Belichick, and because of our defense and McDaniels, and because we have slob teams like the Jets, Broncos, and Texans making up a quarter of our schedule.

My takes on the Pats are also nothing at all like spamming each and every game thread for years on end to constantly complain about a young, and often injured Celtics team that has generally over performed for the most part. Probably more accurate to say that me speaking pragmatically about people's binkies is often a trigger. I took a shot at cam stans yesterday, but to be fair, I was also called out after Game 2 by people saying he was an MVP-caliber leader of a Super Bowl contender, lol.

A) no team was leveraging themselves for Hayward because no team in position to do so was a ‘Hayward type’ away from a title.

B) if we were rollin with Stidham, even more players were opting out because no one believed they could win with him. With ass water Stidham, 4 is probably even generous.

C) I never even came close to doing this. And, for the record, I just looked at the thread and no one else was either.

You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth on free agency. One one hand, a restricted Jaylen definitely gets a max offer this offseason, on the other, an unrestricted Hayward can't even get a Rozier deal in the same FA class. Really don't see it, particularly in the pre-COVID context that discussion happened in.

As to the Pats, it actually was you that called me out after a Week 2 loss. It was just in another thread: viewtopic.php?p=85183002#p85183002

You were not the one throwing around terms like "MVP form" or "Super Bowl", but then again, I never said you did. But you are literally out of your mind if you think I was in any way unjustified in coming back at you after this last game lol.

I don't think who plays QB is that big a deal for this team. They lack talent at WR and TE, and the o-line was certainly banged up last week. With that said, Cam is not a good passer at all. He has poor vision with a noodle arm, and is already showing signs of breaking down four starts in. That last drive was terrible, and McDaniels had to draw up two different passing plays from Edelman on it.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#982 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth on free agency. One one hand, a restricted Jaylen definitely gets a max offer this offseason, on the other, an unrestricted Hayward can't even get a Rozier deal in the same FA class. Really don't see it, particularly in the pre-COVID context that discussion happened in.

If only there was something tangibly different about a 23 year old wing and a 30 year old wing. You know, something that would entice a lottery team like Atlanta or Phoenix or Detroit or NY or NO. Hmm. I wonder....

As to the Pats, it actually was you that called me out after a Week 2 loss. It was just in another thread: viewtopic.php?p=85183002#p85183002

You were not the one throwing around terms like "MVP form" or "Super Bowl", but then again, I never said you did. But you are literally out of your mind if you think I was in any way unjustified in coming back at you after this last game lol.

I don't think who plays QB is that big a deal for this team. They lack talent at WR and TE, and the o-line was certainly banged up last week. With that said, Cam is not a good passer at all. He has poor vision with a noodle arm, and is already showing signs of breaking down four starts in. That last drive was terrible, and McDaniels had to draw up two different passing plays from Edelman on it.

You said:

I was also called out after Game 2 by people saying he was an MVP-caliber leader of a Super Bowl contender, lol

All i said is that he’s:

A) better than Stidham
B) a top 25 qb

And I bumped your post to say so. Never was a Kool-Aid drinker saying any of that strawman crap youre throwing out there. To be honest, no one was.

I’m fine with the chirping, expected it at some point. Just a little confused you chose this game, where we hadnt practiced in two weeks and were missing 4 OL, as your hill to do it.

Also, for fun on last week:

Read on Twitter

Our offense sucks. Our combination of skill players ranks 32 out of 32. Our best receiver is an RB who’s missed significant time after a tragic accident to his family. McDaniels had Edelman throw it because Cam is one of two or three playmakers on our team and he was trying to get him the ball in space. Out of all of our problems [Health, preparedness, talent], QB with Cam is my least concern.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#983 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:16 pm

Your claim is that Hayward couldn't have gotten 45% of what Jaylen would have this offseason. We are already accounting for that difference in age between Hayward and Jaylen and then some.

I gave you the link to the conversation after Week 2's loss. Not really that inaccurate a description, was it?

As to whether or not you are a Kool-Aid drinker, you are the one mad I said he is a well below-average starter that won't likely stay healthy, and you are the one who tried to take a victory lap after a Week 2 loss.

Thanks for linking the clip that shows how me might already be breaking down, as I predicted was likely. I almost put that same clip in my last post. As long as we are looking at tape of last week, here's a few more:

Badly underthrowing an open Byrd on a deep route:
Read on Twitter

"Hit an open Byrd for a possible TD? Nah, think I will hold onto it and take a sack instead."
Read on Twitter

Missing an open Harry to end the game:
Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#984 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Youre ignoring the buyers in the market. None want a 30 yr old. All want youth.

Youre putting words in my mouth. I never called Cam an MVP or the pats a title contender.

This really is basic stuff, Cave. Shocked it needs to be spelt out for you. Looking forward to bumping this and rubbing my nuts all over your face on Sunday.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#985 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:40 am

I'm shocked the guy who got coronavirus and didn't practice for two weeks had a bad game. The one to Harry looked terrible and that Byrd one as well. Harry also tripped over his own feet. Lets see if it continues when (and if) there aren't insane restrictions on the team.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#986 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Next two games will define the Pats’ season, whether they’ll be buyers or sellers at the deadline.

vs 49ers 10/25/20
@ Bills 11/01/20

Trade deadline 11/03/20

If they’re 2-5 by that time they’ll clean house IMO.

If they’re 4-3 including beating the Bills, they’ll trade for a pass catcher, preferably two.

If they’re 3-4 (but beat the Bills) they’ll have a choice of either adding someone off waivers but not a big impact guy, or just stand pat and wait for the Bills to crumble.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#987 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Also to add, Patriots usually doesnt wait till the deadline but makes a move about a week earlier then we’ll wait for a follow up move and nothing happens at the deadline.

If they win on sunday it will change the whole momentum though.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#988 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:25 pm

Lol.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#989 » by captain green » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:17 am

Da bears are 5-1 and we haven't even got a great game yet. How the Patriots and bucs doing ? I do have to thank the bucs for beating the Packers though. Also in the fantasy league I picked up brown just in case he doesn't murder anyone lol.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#990 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:33 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:Next two games will define the Pats’ season, whether they’ll be buyers or sellers at the deadline.

vs 49ers 10/25/20
@ Bills 11/01/20

Trade deadline 11/03/20

If they’re 2-5 by that time they’ll clean house IMO.

If they’re 4-3 including beating the Bills, they’ll trade for a pass catcher, preferably two.

If they’re 3-4 (but beat the Bills) they’ll have a choice of either adding someone off waivers but not a big impact guy, or just stand pat and wait for the Bills to crumble.

They won't be buyers, at least not at for anything meaningful. Belichick is saving cap money for the offseason, as he should.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,452

Post#991 » by threrf23 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:22 am

Two Bill Buckner moments in one play. Wow.

Read on Twitter
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#992 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:01 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Youre ignoring the buyers in the market. None want a 30 yr old. All want youth.

Youre putting words in my mouth. I never called Cam an MVP or the pats a title contender.

This really is basic stuff, Cave. Shocked it needs to be spelt out for you. Looking forward to bumping this and rubbing my nuts all over your face on Sunday.

Me, literally two posts prior wrote:You were not the one throwing around terms like "MVP form" or "Super Bowl", but then again, I never said you did.

I shouldn't have to point out a second time that I was not referring to you there, especially after having already linked the conversation in question.

Agree to disagree on Hayward. A 3y/60m contract was easily attainable for him this offseason pre-COVID, and probably still is.

Should hope to hell Cam can do something against a Niners D that is this depleted. Missing 4 of their top 5 DBs, half of the d-line including their DPOY-caliber DE, and a top LB. Hopefully he can clear 200 yards tomorrow, lol.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#993 » by ParticleMan » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:01 am

i liked the Cam signing because it kept us relevant this year, kept us swaggy, and i think it's important to have a winning culture not one that accepts 4-win rebuilding years. i didn't think stidham was ready, still don't, but eventually he's going to be good.

we bought a year for stidham while still being a 8-10 win team (which i still think we are). and it cost us basically nothing. i thought we might sneak in the playoffs but covid has really hit us where it hurts, not just during but before too.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#994 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:31 pm

threrf23 wrote:

Minshew aint better than Cam, he’s a fun story cuz he’s weird and his stats get inflated cuz he plays so much in garbage time.

Completing 68% of passes this season, good TD/INT ratio, charisma. I'd take Minshew over Cam.

https://www.nfl.com/news/the-end-of-minshew-mania-jags-qb-could-be-benched-if-he-continues-to-struggle

Fantasy Football ruined football analysis. Minshew collects a bunch of garbage time stats because his team is constantly down double digits and the opposing defense just wants to keep the ball in bounds late in games. That doesnt make him a good QB and its not shocking that he’s about to be benched for **** Mike Glennon.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#995 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Yah after that last throw I’m good admitting I’m wrong on Cam. He may be a top 25 QB but thats not an accomplishment. We look like a 5-11 team. And we are in trouble going forward.

Was unfortunately dead right on Stidham though. He’s shockingly even worse.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,492

Post#996 » by K For Three » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:24 pm

So far today, yikes.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod