ImageImageImage

General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2

Moderators: djFan71, sully00, Froob, snowman, ParticleMan, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

ParticleMan
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 7,841

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1701 » by ParticleMan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:41 pm

Joshyjess
Veteran
And1: 4,342

Post#1702 » by Joshyjess » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Now that's funnny! Definitely sounds like 20 years of bottled up frustration exploding out of a die-hard Bills fan. I spent a little time reading some Bills message boards yesterday (never posting, just reading), and this same doom-and-gloom attitude is spreading fast amongst many (if not most) of the posters.
If the Pats win 2 or 3 of their next few games, the level of depression will hit un-told heights over in Buffalo land. :lol:
Joshyjess
Veteran
And1: 4,342

Post#1703 » by Joshyjess » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:08 pm

And the Patriots locomotive keeps on chugging along!!!!! Next stop - the Buffalo Bills!!!!
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 35,641

Post#1704 » by Captain_Caveman » Yesterday 8:55 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Cam sucks, but what is the alternative? I wanted Stafford hard but apparently he didn't want to go to New England and/or Belichick didn't want to meet the asking price. I don't see how you can have a problem with Newton for pennies and to see what develops with a young QB on the trade market or one of the guys in the draft. I trust Belichick to identify QB talent. I'm not gonna pretend like I can tell who of Fields/Lance/Jones is teh guy to target or just wait for a later guy or whatever. I think Belichick would nail it if he took a QB in the first this year.

They will grind games out again, the OL looks fantastic, and hopefully we see some development with the two young tight ends. Hightower is back, Chung back, they are loaded with capspace to make some moves. I thought this team got **** by COVID more than nearly every other team (opt-outs, missed practices).

I saw you necro-and'1 my post in the offseason about trading for Stafford being a bad idea a couple of months back trying to take a passive-aggressive victory lap on me. How's that working out for you?

Read on Twitter

We saved $50m by not resigning Brady, and half of that by not giving up multiple high picks for Stafford this past offseason. One of those picks would almost certainly have been Barmore. We kept those picks and ended up with a QB not far off from Stafford with a much better future, plus the cap money to pay guys like Judon, Henry, Bourne, etc...

Mind you, this was all a year removed from you telling me that Cam was a possible MVP and Super Bowl-caliber QB a few weeks into the season.

Hold those Ls. Hold them harrrrrd. You seem like a good dude but the verdict is that you are never, ever, ever allowed to talk football with me again unless you sign a waiver first.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 20,088

Post#1705 » by reload141 » Yesterday 9:25 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Cam sucks, but what is the alternative? I wanted Stafford hard but apparently he didn't want to go to New England and/or Belichick didn't want to meet the asking price. I don't see how you can have a problem with Newton for pennies and to see what develops with a young QB on the trade market or one of the guys in the draft. I trust Belichick to identify QB talent. I'm not gonna pretend like I can tell who of Fields/Lance/Jones is teh guy to target or just wait for a later guy or whatever. I think Belichick would nail it if he took a QB in the first this year.

They will grind games out again, the OL looks fantastic, and hopefully we see some development with the two young tight ends. Hightower is back, Chung back, they are loaded with capspace to make some moves. I thought this team got **** by COVID more than nearly every other team (opt-outs, missed practices).

I saw you necro-and'1 my post in the offseason about trading for Stafford being a bad idea a couple of months back trying to take a passive-aggressive victory lap on me. How's that working out for you?

Read on Twitter

We saved $50m by not resigning Brady, and half of that by not giving up multiple high picks for Stafford this past offseason. One of those picks would almost certainly have been Barmore. We kept those picks and ended up with a QB not far off from Stafford with a much better future, plus the cap money to pay guys like Judon, Henry, Bourne, etc...

Mind you, this was all a year removed from you telling me that Cam was a possible MVP and Super Bowl-caliber QB a few weeks into the season.

Hold those Ls. Hold them harrrrrd. You seem like a good dude but the verdict is that you are never, ever, ever allowed to talk football with me again unless you sign a waiver first.

What about me? Can we talk football? Specifically Aussie Rules Football!! I can teach you mate…. Although my team has sucked for years and had a doping scandal… but still!
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,793

Post#1706 » by Bleeding Green » Yesterday 10:46 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

Read on Twitter

Are you asking if Bill Belichick would be a better coach than the guy in LA or if I could have predicted that Mac Jones would just be sitting there at Pick 15 for some insane reason? I genuinely don't know what your point is about all this. Stafford is really good, better than Cam Newton, would be really good in New England. Mac Jones is just as good, younger, cheaper; who predicted he would be sitting there at pick 15 back when Matt Stafford was traded?

Patriots easily could have just ended up with no real QB this season if Jones didn't fall in the draft. And he really shouldn't have fallen given the QB situations in Denver, Carolina, Detroit. But hey, Belichick correctly assessed the situation that three **** teams with three **** QBs would pass on Mac Jones so they could take cornerbacks and offensive lineman. He's better at this than some guy posting about football on a basketball forum. Look at all the insane **** Carolina has done at QB since they made the decision to move on from Cam Newton initially. They could have just played Newton last year and then drafted Mac Jones. Instead they gave Teddy Bridgewater 31 million for one season, then traded for the bum from the Jets, giving up multiple high picks and then having to actually watch him play QB. Now they still suck and there are no good QBs in the draft and they are on the hook for another 19 million to Darnold next year.

lmao holding Ls, is this middle school?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 3,798

Post#1707 » by soxfan2003 » Today 12:39 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Read on Twitter

Are you asking if Bill Belichick would be a better coach than the guy in LA or if I could have predicted that Mac Jones would just be sitting there at Pick 15 for some insane reason? I genuinely don't know what your point is about all this. Stafford is really good, better than Cam Newton, would be really good in New England. Mac Jones is just as good, younger, cheaper; who predicted he would be sitting there at pick 15 back when Matt Stafford was traded?

Patriots easily could have just ended up with no real QB this season if Jones didn't fall in the draft. And he really shouldn't have fallen given the QB situations in Denver, Carolina, Detroit. But hey, Belichick correctly assessed the situation that three **** teams with three **** QBs would pass on Mac Jones so they could take cornerbacks and offensive lineman. He's better at this than some guy posting about football on a basketball forum. Look at all the insane **** Carolina has done at QB since they made the decision to move on from Cam Newton initially. They could have just played Newton last year and then drafted Mac Jones. Instead they gave Teddy Bridgewater 31 million for one season, then traded for the bum from the Jets, giving up multiple high picks and then having to actually watch him play QB. Now they still suck and there are no good QBs in the draft and they are on the hook for another 19 million to Darnold next year.

lmao holding Ls, is this middle school?

I wasn't the least big surprised at all that Jones was sitting there at 15. Once I was sure the Niners were not taking Jones at 3, I was confident that Jones would be available to the Patriots at 15. I just did the analysis.

Normally, you don't trade for a young quarterback like Goff, a former #1 pick who has been to a Super Bowl, and then take another QB in the first round without seeing your new addition even play a snap. Carolina when they traded for Darnold really took them out of the running for Jones as well. Denver when they traded for Teddy Bridgewater sort of signaled they were probably not taking a polished QB in the first round. BB probably had lots of intel, these teams were taking Jones as well.

In any analysis, you have to remember Belichick has tons of connections throughout the league among execs/agents and that has to help him understand who the other teams may be taking. That is the NFL but in this case Belichick had an added advantage.....Belichick is good friends with Nick Saban going all the way back to their days working together at Cleveland and from that alone, he may have been told, these are the other teams interested in Jones. Heck Mac Jones himself apparently wanted to go to New England so Jones and his agent may have been directly feeding Belichick the best information that they had.

I disagree with you both on Cam. I rarely overreact to one or two good games or bad games. I just see Cam as slightly below average starting QB and pretty much a reflection of the team and coaching staff around him. Last year, Hightower and other players out, Cam goes 7-8 in a year in which the Patriots were starting a rebuild/reset. Patriots had a good line last year but one of the worst groups of receivers/tight ends in the entire NFL which is why BB spent a fortune in FA at those positions. Brady was still paid 13.5 million last year. With this years roster/healthy and BB coaching, Cam wins at least 11 games -- if Cam himself stays healthy. I completely understand the decision to get rid of Newton, if you have a high floor rookie QB coming off of a National Championship and he is ready to start in the NFL, you don't start a declining Cam Newton with zero upside over a rookie that you feel is ready with some upside.

But I think you are mistaken if you didn't realize that the Patriots did their due diligence and were probably over 90% certain that Jones would fall to them. It really is just a process of elimination game. And if some other team was about to trade up, the Patriots probably would have been told about it. Can you beat this offer?

Giving away multiple first round picks for Stafford did not make sense in the Patriots situation. He is better than Cam Newton at this stage of both players careers but I'd rather have Cam Newton + 2 first round picks + 12-15 million in cap space than an aging Stafford who is going to be turning 34 around the time of the SB. For legends like Brady and even Rodgers, 34 may not be that old but for players like Stafford, I would be risk averse when it requires giving up 2 first rounders and paying him. Cam Newton for all of his critics has 3 playoff wins which is 3 more than Mathew Stafford.

Return to Boston Celtics