ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1201 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Man I can't imagine watching this team every week and coming to the conclusion that the defense isn't the worst in the league. It's the worst linebacking core they've had in my entire lifetime, probably the worst in the league. D-Line is completely awful, gets no rush. At least the offense can run the ball and not turn it over all game long. Defense can't do jack ****. The secondary is very good but it doesn't even matter.

Yah the Jets game, where we allowed more points to them in a half than they scored in the previous 3 games, told me all I needed to know.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#1202 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Im willing to listen to your argument, but most, if not all analytics paint the opposite picture:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2020/week-10-dvoa-ratings

PFF is similar, though has a paywall

Our offense is 26th in points per game, despite two defensive touchdowns. Defense tied for 13th in points allowed per game.

Our offense **** blows. Our defense has been worse, only benefitting PPG wise cuz we muck up and slow down the pace of games. We suck at getting stops /punts.

It's still the same games being played for both sides of the ball. We are barely scoring.

I'd offer that we are a team that has long eschewed speed and athleticism over having tough, smart players that excelled in situational football and the tighter quarters of the red zone. At no point has Belichick every given a single solitary **** about yardage stats or what happens between the 20s as long as we hold people to field goals while scoring touchdowns. Our defense is better at their end of that bargain.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1203 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:15 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:You aren't watching the games. The defense is absolutely the biggest issue. They control the game on the ground and score enough to win, but the defense just gives up way too much. It's an average to maybe a little below average offense and the worst overall defense in football. I hardly see what bringing in a non-mobile QB is going to do for a team that has no receiving threats. Newton is completing 68 pct of his passes. If the defense played like last year, they would probably be like a 2-4 seed right now.

I'm watching the games. Our defense is keeping us in them long enough for our 3rd rate smashmouth offense to try to wear teams down, and it is not working. It is a gimmicky strategy that is not succeeding because our offense is straight booty.

Our offense has failed to score in the 1st quarter in 8 of 10 games, and had ZERO 1st quarter points in our first 7 games. It wasn't until yesterday that our offense pulled ahead of our defense in 1st quarter scoring this year (14-7). Our offense has failed to get more than 10 first half points in 8 of 10 games, and has not scored more than 13 first half points in any game this year. Despite that, we have been ahead, tied, or within 3 points at halftime in 6 of those 10 games.

As iffy as our defense has been at times, they are clearly superior to our offense this year. This really isn't very debatable.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1204 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:36 pm

This is the worst defense in football. The offense is bad, but it's at least close to average because they leverage their strength (running the footbal) to compress the amount of possessions in the game. They have the best OL in football and their rookie sixth rounder is one of the best guards in football already. The defense can't stop anyone. Did you watch the Jets, who are **** atrocious offensively, just score and score and score against this defense?

I can't disagree more with everything you're saying. You're just wrong, dunno how else to say it.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1205 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 am

Bleeding Green wrote:This is the worst defense in football. The offense is bad, but it's at least close to average because they leverage their strength (running the footbal) to compress the amount of possessions in the game. They have the best OL in football and their rookie sixth rounder is one of the best guards in football already. The defense can't stop anyone. Did you watch the Jets, who are **** atrocious offensively, just score and score and score against this defense?

I can't disagree more with everything you're saying. You're just wrong, dunno how else to say it.

You are providing no evidence, and I have provided a bunch. Our offense is averaging 1.4 points in the 1st quarter this year, and 6.1 points in the first half. And again, we've been ahead, tied, or within 3 points at halftime in 6 of 10 games despite that. If our defense were as bad as you say, that wouldn't be possible. And again, we are 26th in points scored despite multiple defensive touchdowns, and 13th in points allowed. 27th in passing yards a game in a pass-dominant league. 9th best in takeaways, and 8th worst in giveaways.

Those are ghastly numbers for our offense. You basically have to go back to the Rod Rust years for a time where we were this bad offensively. It's clearly not all Cam's fault, but it's not happening in spite of him, either. We are a perfectly average defensive team with very little talent offensively, and our best QB play is literally coming from our WRs.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1206 » by jmr07019 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:26 am

I would say it’s complementary crappy football but it’s hard to argue with the numbers cave is throwing out. The WRs are ass and the TEs are worse. Are the 2 TEs we drafted this year *that* bad? Has either one played a snap? Harris looks good but you don’t win with running backs. This isn’t the 80s.
Show Love Spread Love
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1207 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:50 am

jmr07019 wrote:I would say it’s complementary crappy football but it’s hard to argue with the numbers cave is throwing out. The WRs are ass and the TEs are worse. Are the 2 TEs we drafted this year *that* bad? Has either one played a snap? Harris looks good but you don’t win with running backs. This isn’t the 80s.

Our best offensive player is likely either Thuney or Harris, and neither are that great. That's shocking to me.

Beyond the months-long debate about people's takes or who is to blame or not, that's a hugely important point. Even with the massive cap room advantage we have on most teams, we are probably at least a couple of years from rebuilding this wretched offense, and Belichick's window is on borrowed time.

I'd like to believe that it doesn't end like this, but it might.
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1208 » by jmr07019 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:I would say it’s complementary crappy football but it’s hard to argue with the numbers cave is throwing out. The WRs are ass and the TEs are worse. Are the 2 TEs we drafted this year *that* bad? Has either one played a snap? Harris looks good but you don’t win with running backs. This isn’t the 80s.

Our best offensive player is likely either Thuney or Harris, and neither are that great. That's shocking to me.

Beyond the months-long debate about people's takes or who is to blame or not, that's a hugely important point. Even with the massive cap room advantage we have on most teams, we are probably at least a couple of years from rebuilding this wretched offense, and Belichick's window is on borrowed time.

Ugh this would be a horrible way to end...

We spent 1st round picks on Michel, Harry and Wynn. The lack of return on that investment is catching up with us. Those guys should be leading the offense. Instead we got two duds and a guy who can’t stay healthy. Cap space is great but if you don’t have cheap talent you’re kind of screwed in the NFL.
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#1209 » by Parliament10 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:56 pm

What do we got this week?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#1210 » by Parliament10 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:58 pm

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1211 » by jmr07019 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:47 pm

What a horrible call on the punt return
Show Love Spread Love
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1212 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:48 pm

jmr07019 wrote:What a horrible call on the punt return

He blasted him. Just didn't need to lower the shoulder like that.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,402

Post#1213 » by K For Three » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Nice win.

I guess I am not in tanking mode like some, I like to see them play hard.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1214 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:08 pm

LMAO.

One of the worst offensive performances in a win you will ever, ever see.
jmr07019
General Manager

Post#1215 » by jmr07019 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:What a horrible call on the punt return

He blasted him. Just didn't need to lower the shoulder like that.

I guess that's the way of the NFL now. Can't hit too hard or its a penalty. I get it when it's a defenseless receiver looking for the ball but you should be allowed to block someone as hard as you want if they are trying to make a tackle. Luckily it didn't make a difference in the end.

Captain_Caveman wrote:LMAO.

One of the worst offensive performances in a win you will ever, ever see.

84 yards passing and 2 picks for the QB. 3.4 yards per carry and 47 yards for the leading rusher. It's the defense holding the team back tho :lol:
Show Love Spread Love
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1216 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm

Hideous game. Cardinals are so bad. I don't know why they even let Newton throw the ball unless it's a screen or to some soft spot in a zone. Outroutes to Damiere Byrd? Why? His arm is so gone. At least the defense played well enough for once. Unreal that they still have a shot at the playoffs with how poorly they've played and how much they got screwed for 2+ weeks due to covid restrictions.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1217 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Lol, we beat Baltimore and Arizona but lost to Houston and Denver.

Also— TAKE THE POINTS AT HALF! 3 points vs us is basically a TD vs any other team.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1218 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:

We agree on this FWIW. No QB and not gonna be able to fix this through the draft. Were in serious trouble.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1219 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Why can't they fix the QB through the draft? They've drafted Brissett, Cassel, Garropolo recently without using a high pick. I trust them to identify QB talent.

And they could just trade for Stafford if Detroit wants to start over. He'd be my target right now. Detroit is in full tank mode and they've already wasted the first 12 years of a HOF-level talent.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#1220 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:09 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Why can't they fix the QB through the draft? They've drafted Brissett, Cassel, Garropolo recently without using a high pick. I trust them to identify QB talent.

And they could just trade for Stafford if Detroit wants to start over. He'd be my target right now. Detroit is in full tank mode and they've already wasted the first 12 years of a HOF-level talent.

No, no, no on Stafford.

I do think they can rebuild. It just won't be as quickly as I had hoped. Just too many holes to fill, especially on offense.

Return to Boston Celtics