ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#1421 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:12 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I can say with almost 100% certainty that the Pats trading up for a QB.

Do you know someone or are you just guessing?

I said since last season I wanted them to resign Cam and draft Fields. Or Lance, his pro day was a fun watch.

In this case, it’s more of a guess.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#1422 » by threrf23 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:42 pm

The Comedian wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Well, maybe the two rookies tight ends are actually duds then.

Seems so. I had decent expectations for Keane, tbh. Assiasi was deemed to not be that good by every analyst out there.

Bill paying over 10 mils to 2 TEs basically means that he doesn't like what the former rookies have to offer.

Or, he just didn’t want to pass up the top two tight ends on the market. Keene is more of an h back, and this takes some pressure off of him and Asiasi, but the 3rd tight end still gets real playing time.

Henry is a stud if he stays healthy. Smith put up good numbers at Florida Intl, was responsible for almost 40% of his team's receiving yardage as a sophomore - and in the NFL he's been stuck catching passes in a conservative Titans offense that now relies an awful lot of Derrick Henry. He is possibly very underrated.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1423 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:25 pm

The Comedian wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:I can say with almost 100% certainty that the Pats trading up for a QB.

You think Lance starts next year or does Cam

I mean, I think it would be Lance and not Mac Jones

Cam would start most of the season I assume, unless he’s just atrocious. Let Lance/Fields get a redshirt season, like Mahomes.

Depends which; Fields could legitimately challenge right away. Lance needs at least 1 year to develop.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1424 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Well, maybe the two rookies tight ends are actually duds then.

Asiasi has a reputation for quitting when he gets challenged hard: its part of why he transferred from Michigan in college. He got challenged hard in NE and didnt respond well.

Keene is more of an H back/full back. These moves arent as damning on him IMO, but he was always a long shot.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1425 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:29 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:

Do you know someone or are you just guessing?

I said since last season I wanted them to resign Cam and draft Fields. Or Lance, his pro day was a fun watch.

In this case, it’s more of a guess.

They’ve built an entire roster around having a QB long term on a cost controlled deal. Unless the draft really moves against them, [ie the top 4 go in the top 4 and we cant trade up], were gonna take a qb
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,031

Post#1426 » by 1st banana » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 pm

This is **** unreal can’t believe Bill nutted up for hunter and Jonnu(and Judon). This offseason went from lake flaccid to full mast real quick.

All signs are pointing to a qb in the draft. It won’t be all bad if **** doesn’t fall our way in the draft if no qb is there take the best end rusher or dt. Cam can even compete with this team.

Hopefully keane and asiasi can find someway to contribute but asiasi at least is seeming to be toast.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1427 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:50 pm

We structured these to give us a ton of space. Still have 30M left by my back of envelope math
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1428 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Yeah, 30m is prob about right give or take a couple million. Draft picks will account for 3m too if Patriots stand still. Still tons of space to do something big, and there are always surprise cuts between now and when teams need to be under the cap tomorrow.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1429 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah, 30m is prob about right give or take a couple million. Draft picks will account for 3m too if Patriots stand still. Still tons of space to do something big, and there are always surprise cuts between now and when teams need to be under the cap tomorrow.

Can free another 6/7 by trading Gilmore as well [were going to, regardless. Hes not playing on current deal and were not paying a 30+ year old corner off a torn quad].

Feels like BB is targeting someone.
bobbutts
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#1430 » by bobbutts » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Would be a great story if Cam can lead them to a good/great season. It bothers me a bit how many people have gone all in on how bad he is based on his record playing with lingering covid issues and very little receiver talent. I want them to be proven wrong. This storyline makes me feel a bit more personally invested in this season.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1431 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1432 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:06 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pats beat writers teasing us :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1433 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:55 pm

I feel like the bidding for Watson is going to be obscene. Patriots have the capspace, but is it worth it? Surely the Jets, Lions, Broncos, Dolphins could beat whatever the Patriots have to offer.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1434 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:19 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I feel like the bidding for Watson is going to be obscene. Patriots have the capspace, but is it worth it? Surely the Jets, Lions, Broncos, Dolphins could beat whatever the Patriots have to offer.

The Texans owner wouldnt let his new GM trade his star player to his old team. Ever.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1435 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:23 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I feel like the bidding for Watson is going to be obscene. Patriots have the capspace, but is it worth it? Surely the Jets, Lions, Broncos, Dolphins could beat whatever the Patriots have to offer.

The Texans owner wouldnt let his new GM trade his star player to his old team. Ever.

The owner should let the GM do his job I think. But if an owner wants to get in the way, I'm all for it as long as it isn't Kraft.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1436 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:25 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

The owner should let the GM do his job I think. But if an owner wants to get in the way, I'm all for it as long as it isn't Kraft.

Their owner has consistently meddled lol, that the whole reason Watson wants out in the first place
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1437 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:23 am

bobbutts wrote:Would be a great story if Cam can lead them to a good/great season. It bothers me a bit how many people have gone all in on how bad he is based on his record playing with lingering covid issues and very little receiver talent. I want them to be proven wrong. This storyline makes me feel a bit more personally invested in this season.

I agree. The funny part is that before the Covid, Pats were well on their way to a playoff run with a mediocore front on defense and a pretty poor offense sans the running game(also injuries to the offensive line). Now there's a lot more talent. 2 receivers to add to Meyers plus the top 2 tight ends, who are both good at catching the ball and the run game will still remain strong. If the Pats don't get a QB, best available rusher would turn this defense into a force.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1438 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:24 am

NFL has kinda turned into the NBA. If Watson says "I ain't playing for Jets, Lions, Dolphins, I want to go to the Pats", there is a good likelihood he's on the Pats. Problem here is that it would still take A LOT to get him.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1439 » by ParticleMan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:39 pm

i like the guys they've brought in, but i think we still need a future QB. i'm still hoping we get one at #15, tbh still not sold on cam. i think it's too high to draft a C, and we're pretty set most everywhere else now. i don't see that we need a RB, maybe i'm too high on damien harris but i think he can be a feature back with michel thrown in some of the time, and JJ taylor as the scatback option. obviously would help to resign james white.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1440 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:22 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

NFL has kinda turned into the NBA. If Watson says "I ain't playing for Jets, Lions, Dolphins, I want to go to the Pats", there is a good likelihood he's on the Pats. Problem here is that it would still take A LOT to get him.

The NFL players want to have power like the NBA players, but NFL owners are not NBA owners and could not give a **** less.

Return to Boston Celtics