ImageImageImage

Boston All-Sports Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: General Boston Sports Thread, Phase 2 

Post#221 » by Bleeding Green » Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:
ViperGTS wrote:About mid season I thought the Bs could be something special. Tampa blowing chunks was unforeseen though now I’d like to see that series. I think the Bs could give them all they could handle.

I don't follow hockey as closely but what the hell happened to Tampa Bay to get swept in the first round?

Hockey is pretty unique in that matchups matter more and a goalie can steal games entirely by himself, and anyone can win a game or two. If you have two wildly divergent teams in term of playstyle, its anyone's guess how it'll go. Take a high-pace, blueline-to-blueline passing team and a grind it out in the corners team and maybe one wins over the other, but you don't really know until the series is over. Worst team in the league can win a 7 game series against the best. Imagine the Suns winning even 1 game against he Warriors in a playoff series. Impossible. It's pretty terrible or it's pretty great depending on your outlook. As a disinterested fan of the outcome I like it, but if I were heavily invested in the sport I'd probably hate it.

Then you have **** like last night where an obvious and blatantly illegal handpass results in the gamewinning OT goal of a **** playoff game, but by rule, the refs can't review that aspect of it, so the goal stands. NHL is basically **** as far as I can tell. People complain about the NBA, but go watch an NHL game and tell me the officiating isn't complete garbage. At least in the NBA one or even five foul shots can be negated by good play. In the NHL, one power play could be the difference.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#222 » by BillTheGOAT » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am

Give me San Jose, closest thing to LA, and a California sweep.

Bittersweet that the Celtics didn't go to the Finals.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#223 » by chrisab123 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Celtics really screwed the pooch. Bruins Sox and Pats all make the Championship. Dropped the ball worse than Reche Caldwell and his bug eyes.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#224 » by threrf23 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Hockey is pretty unique in that matchups matter more and a goalie can steal games entirely by himself

This, very much this.

People complain about the NBA, but go watch an NHL game and tell me the officiating isn't complete garbage. At least in the NBA one or even five foul shots can be negated by good play. In the NHL, one power play could be the difference.

And this. I wouldn't call the NHL officiating nearly as obstructive as NBA officiating. But it's probably tougher to officiate and as you kind of point out, one goal will generally account for 10-100% of all scoring in a playoff game (i.e. between 20 and 250 points in an NBA game).
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,780

Post#225 » by KamikazeK » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Celtics really screwed the pooch. Bruins Sox and Pats all make the Championship. Dropped the ball worse than Reche Caldwell and his bug eyes.

Imagine if the C's end up being the only major boston team to not win a championship this year. And they had a great chance too if only they could've just played well together with the talent they had. :noway:
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,462

Post#226 » by Saint Lazarus » Sat May 18, 2019 1:36 am

KamikazeK wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Celtics really screwed the pooch. Bruins Sox and Pats all make the Championship. Dropped the ball worse than Reche Caldwell and his bug eyes.

Imagine if the C's end up being the only major boston team to not win a championship this year. And they had a great chance too if only they could've just played well together with the talent they had. :noway:

Onlymajor Boston sports team to not win a championship this decade too :)
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#227 » by Joshyjess » Tue May 21, 2019 4:36 pm

The Pats just signed Edeleman to a 2 year extension!!!! Awesome news for Brady, getting one of his favorite targets back. Many people think that Edelman's new contract might indicate when Brady is leaving.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#228 » by Joshyjess » Tue May 21, 2019 4:38 pm

KamikazeK wrote:

Not saying it's the only reason, but Hayward having that gruesome injury definitely didn't help the situation.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#229 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Spoiler:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,037

Post#230 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed May 22, 2019 2:58 am

Jayson Tatum rooting against the Bruins. Not a true Celtic. Trade his ass.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,989

Post#231 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 25, 2019 2:51 am

We have a a little bit of a wait, for the Stanley Cup Finals.
First game is Monday, at 8pm, EST, in Boston.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#232 » by Joshyjess » Sat May 25, 2019 5:13 am

Parliament10 wrote:We have a a little bit of a wait, for the Stanley Cup Finals.

The B's won the first series 4 - 3. They won the second series 4 - 2, They won the third series 4 - 0. So, I am calling it now - they will win the Cup 4 - 1. And the only game they are going to lose is the first game. All this time off is going to make them a bit rusty, and the Blues will take advantage of that to win their only game of the series.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#233 » by ParticleMan » Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 am

Joshyjess wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:We have a a little bit of a wait, for the Stanley Cup Finals.

The B's won the first series 4 - 3. They won the second series 4 - 2, They won the third series 4 - 0. So, I am calling it now - they will win the Cup 4 - 1. And the only game they are going to lose is the first game. All this time off is going to make them a bit rusty, and the Blues will take advantage of that to win their only game of the series.

actually, simple extrapolation says we will beat them 4 to -4. they will lose each game so badly, not only will we be given the win, but they will be given a negative win for sucking so much.

it's just math, yo 8-)
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach

Post#234 » by Joshyjess » Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:

actually, simple extrapolation says we will beat them 4 to -4. they will lose each game so badly, not only will we be given the win, but they will be given a negative win for sucking so much.

it's just math, yo 8-)

Sounds good! :rock:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,037

Post#235 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pm

Kevin Durant just followed Julian Edelman on Instagram. KD to New England Patriots confirmed.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#236 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:28 pm

With Bruins in Stanley Cup finals, Boston ‘suffers’ from ‘Championship Fatigue Syndrome'
By Adam Kilgore | May 24 at 3:59 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/05/24/with-bruins-stanley-cup-finals-boston-suffers-championship-fatigue-syndrome/?utm_term=.2b54d6d9dbd6

If the Bruins defeat the Blues, Boston will become the first city since Detroit in 1935 – a decade before the NBA came into existence – to hold three major titles at once, joining the Red Sox and Patriots as current champions.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,413

Post#237 » by K For Three » Sun May 26, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm going to game 2!!!
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,413

Post#238 » by K For Three » Sun May 26, 2019 8:15 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Kevin Durant just followed Julian Edelman on Instagram. KD to New England Patriots confirmed.

KD loves him some Patriots.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#239 » by truth18 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 am

Kyrie For Three wrote:I'm going to game 2!!!

**** awesome. Have a great time. Cheer hard for me.

Game 1 tonight, let's get it. GO BRUINS. CUP. LORDS.

YOU LOSE
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#240 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics