ImageImageImage

Marcus Morris Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Marcus Morris Thread 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 2:54 pm

Looks like we don't have a current Marcus Morris Thread.

Some fans think that Morris should be out of the rotation, for the Playoffs. Or at least only played sparingly.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Re: Marcus Morris Thread 

Post#2 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:09 pm

Appreciation Thread? I like it.

Kidding. I think he can help guard the Kawhi/Giannis/Simmons types. Needs to chill with the chucking. Maybe focus on rebounding and setting his teammates up. Make that extra pass, Mook!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Post#3 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:11 pm

Mook.13, one of two known black holes in the Galactica Celtica.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,666

Post#4 » by Green89 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 3:25 pm

Positive: he's been getting a lot of timely boards the last several games.
Negative: when he takes shots away from others.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#5 » by Homerclease » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:28 pm

If his shot isn’t falling, he’s a liability out there. His ability to get his own shot is still a nice thing to have though. Dude can carry you through a game if he’s in the zone and guys like that don’t grow on trees
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#6 » by celtxman » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:53 pm

I was always in favor of keeping him as opposed to trading him at the deadline for a late first round pick. Now I view him as some sort of insurance for losing Tatum and/or Brown. His value has certainly dropped since starting off so hot, and its it's still possible it could work for both sides
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#7 » by radcot » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:22 pm

He might be situationally useful in the playoffs, but two things need to be cut: his minutes and his FGA.
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#8 » by Kids Are Alright » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:35 pm

I like his toughness and badacidness, plus gotta have floor-stretchers. I feel that, like Gandalf said to Elrond (not our Elrond), “I feel like Gollum (Mook) may play a part in our quest to Mt Doom.” (Playoff run)
(Don’t anyone tell Sr that I called him our Gollum)
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#9 » by Cyclical » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:40 pm

If he comes off the bench, he comes off my s#it list.
If he gets to start I get to despise him again

Depending on matchups he can be super helpful but overall he's just the type of player that if his shot is not falling he often hurts the team (unlike my favorite Marcus). So please, get back that smooth J you had going early in the season and we're good to go.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#10 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:44 pm

Homerclease wrote:If his shot isn’t falling, he’s a liability out there. His ability to get his own shot is still a nice thing to have though. Dude can carry you through a game if he’s in the zone and guys like that don’t grow on trees

I would like it if we started Baynes and Horford.

Horford is also clearly more comfortable against the weaker PFs than the Centers in the NBA.

With Irving on your team you have a huge black hole that doesn't play make, you should compliment him with playmakers and team first guys.

Morris plays the exact same way as Irving, and that's 2 too many of those type of players on your team. But Morris can be good in the second unit when Irving is catching breaks and when you're looking for someone else to step up and take the shot... that said Smart traditionally has filled the **** posting shot takers on this team.

Either way, for such a "talented" team I don't think we have all that much talent at the PF/C position. So Morris has a place in the rotation. We have too much talent in the swing positions and as a result Rozier and Brown's time will suffer. We still don't have a PG that can playmake. Hayward and Irving are our best playmakers and they're both best as the second playmaker on a team instead of the engine.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#11 » by djFan71 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:47 pm

I was all for dumping him for an asset at the deadline, but since he’s here, he’s useful. Give him a stretch off the bench each half every game. Extend if he’s playing well, or matchups favor it. Pull quickly if not.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#12 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:54 pm

djFan71 wrote:I was all for dumping him for an asset at the deadline, but since he’s here, he’s useful. Give him a stretch off the bench each half every game. Extend if he’s playing well, or matchups favor it. Pull quickly if not.

Yeah to second that, it's pretty absurd we didn't dump Morris at the very least for an asset.

We're never going to resign him.

I could see us working with Baynes to keep him on the roster next year, but Marcus Morris? He's never been paid close to his value even once in his career and it's almost over. And there were about 10 teams in the West looking for a rotation player like him.

Hell maybe we could have gotten Zubac instead of the Clippers for Morris. And that would have been another good rotational Center we could use to keep Horford at PF where he prefers to play. And between Semi and Theis still have enough to change the rotation up when we want.

Ideally with Zubac and Baynes out there we'd also be able to push one of Hayward or Tatum at PF for some minutes to open up for Rozier or Jaylen Brown depending on the matchup to get more time too.

Marcus Morris has also been a major malcontent all season and horrible for this team's chemistry. All he does is call players out publicly with Irving saying they're dumb and he's the best.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#13 » by Spin Move » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:59 pm

Morris is a very solid NBA player who could be a good starter on the right team. Unless we are moving 2 of Jaylen, GH and Tatum this is not that team. He needs shots. I expect him to be somwhere else next year and really help that team. This year we have too many mouths to feed on offense, not his fault, for the first half of the season he played really well. He is not in our long term future though I would have moved him at the deadline.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#14 » by threrf23 » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:01 pm

I think if you stick with our rotation from last night, but give Mook's minutes to Jaylen, that would work well.

If Jaylen has an off night, Mook takes his spot in the rotation. If Roz has an off night, Hayward becomes our backup PG and Mook enters the rotation. Foul trouble, either Mook or Theis come in to keep our rotation balanced.

Otherwise, you use Mook for his energy in strategic spurts.

My biggest worry about Mook has to do with his effect on team morale. Everyone was told they would have to sacrifice this season. Now that the games count especially, it sends a terrible message if Brad rewards a selfish, mediocre vet.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#15 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 6, 2019 6:05 pm

He's important depth for right now. If Brown's back doesn't come around, we're going to be very glad we have him. Plus he's one more body that can spend some time trying to help and wrestle with Giannis, if they get there.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#16 » by Roddy » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:51 pm

He is the kind of guy who can miss 8 in a row, and then made the final shot at the buzzer. You need this kind of guy in the playoffs.
He is also a very good rebounder.

He plays 27.8 mins/game. 4th in the roster (Smart is 5th with 27.6).
He is 3rd in shots attempts.
FG% = 45% on 11.3 attempts...not that bad.
3pts% = 37.6%. 5th behind Dozier/Wanamaker/Theis/Irving.

I agree that his shot selection has been bad lately. But he will be important in the playoffs.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:23 pm

Roddy wrote:He plays 27.8 mins/game. 4th in the roster (Smart is 5th with 27.6).
He is 3th in shots attempts.
FG% = 45% on 11. attempts...not that bad.

Do you have a breakdown by month?
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#18 » by Joshyjess » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:28 pm

I think, right now, the best thing I can say about Morris is that I'd rather see him on the floor than Rozier (I know that are different positions, I'm just talking about how much they have been helping / hurting the C's). When Morris is hitting shots, he can be an incredible "asset" for the team, when he's not hitting his shot just drop the "et"
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#19 » by Roddy » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:44 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Roddy wrote:He plays 27.8 mins/game. 4th in the roster (Smart is 5th with 27.6).

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:49 pm

Roddy wrote:
SuperDeluxe wrote:

Thank you. It's a clear tale of two Mooks. A solid, solid shooter in late 2018, and a disoriented chucker in 2019. Feel free to take 12 shots per game if you are bombing at 50% from the field. But if you are shooting at around 40% you should be passing the ball instead. That's the mental adjustment we've been waiting for, but at this point it looks it'll never happen.

Return to Boston Celtics