ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk*

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,212

Re: Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk* 

Post#181 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter

I still can't believe Magic did what he did in the manner he did.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#182 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Magic's back on twitter, doing what he does best - tweeting about the league. Lol.

Read on Twitter

What is Laker Nation going to do when he decides to tweet about how good of a player D'Angelo Russell has become? Lol
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,380

Post#183 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#184 » by Disinformation » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Love me some, Perk. :nod:

/salute
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#185 » by 2Mas » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:12 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Too flawed and poor fit. Simmons is a destroyer of offensive flow.

Simmons needs to play in a system like the Bucks. A post big and iso-heavy/reluctant catch-n-shoot wing are just terrible fits.

Exactly.

That said the 76ers have a ton of talent on their team. They have 3 legit all-star potential starting level players, and one bench worthy all-star player. The statment that they have the most talented starting 5 after the Warriors is legit.

They were just built like the Lakers, without an understanding that low post doesnt matter, playmaking doesn't matter...if you don't have the shooting.

If Simmons and Embiid checked their egos at the door. Embiid would play like Al Horford for the team and exclusively shoot 3s on offense and facilitate others.

Simmons would have the entire offense built around him because he's useless otherwise

And with 2 minutes left to go in a game, or in a must score situation... Simmons would be on the bench because his floor spacing hurts an ISO from a go to bucket guy such as Butler.

If Stevens had Butler on the Celtics team right now, we'd be heading to the Finals, guaranteed. The 76ers roster construction just has two players that are flawed and not modern NBA players in their construction. And a lack of understanding roster wise that in order to do that you MUST only have one, and you have to build your entire team around them to make up for it.

It's not that hard, you can either sit and wait for Embiid to develop a head and take a huge step back, or you can wait for Simmons to develop a 3 point shot. Otherwise, trade one of those **** for a fellow all-star level player that actual fits the rest of the pieces on your roster and watch your fourtunes rise.

And there's a zillion teams that would trade for either of them as they're young and in team control for a long time and they are elite at their positions. Just held back by playing with each other.

I doubt the Blazers would turn down the chance for a Dame for Simmons trade, or McCollum (whichever they believe in least). Because Simmons is one of the best defenders in the NBA, and he will spend all night getting wide open 3s for Dame or McCollum. And either one of those players would compliment Embiid perfectly when he plays teams that stupidly double him, or just get destroyed by Embiid.

Dude. What?

Embiid should play like Al Horford? lol. He should exclusively shoot 3's?! :nonono:

Hell no. To all of this.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#186 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:24 pm

2Mas wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Simmons needs to play in a system like the Bucks. A post big and iso-heavy/reluctant catch-n-shoot wing are just terrible fits.

Exactly.

That said the 76ers have a ton of talent on their team. They have 3 legit all-star potential starting level players, and one bench worthy all-star player. The statment that they have the most talented starting 5 after the Warriors is legit.

They were just built like the Lakers, without an understanding that low post doesnt matter, playmaking doesn't matter...if you don't have the shooting.

If Simmons and Embiid checked their egos at the door. Embiid would play like Al Horford for the team and exclusively shoot 3s on offense and facilitate others.

Simmons would have the entire offense built around him because he's useless otherwise

And with 2 minutes left to go in a game, or in a must score situation... Simmons would be on the bench because his floor spacing hurts an ISO from a go to bucket guy such as Butler.

If Stevens had Butler on the Celtics team right now, we'd be heading to the Finals, guaranteed. The 76ers roster construction just has two players that are flawed and not modern NBA players in their construction. And a lack of understanding roster wise that in order to do that you MUST only have one, and you have to build your entire team around them to make up for it.

It's not that hard, you can either sit and wait for Embiid to develop a head and take a huge step back, or you can wait for Simmons to develop a 3 point shot. Otherwise, trade one of those **** for a fellow all-star level player that actual fits the rest of the pieces on your roster and watch your fourtunes rise.

And there's a zillion teams that would trade for either of them as they're young and in team control for a long time and they are elite at their positions. Just held back by playing with each other.

I doubt the Blazers would turn down the chance for a Dame for Simmons trade, or McCollum (whichever they believe in least). Because Simmons is one of the best defenders in the NBA, and he will spend all night getting wide open 3s for Dame or McCollum. And either one of those players would compliment Embiid perfectly when he plays teams that stupidly double him, or just get destroyed by Embiid.

Dude. What?

Embiid should play like Al Horford? lol. He should exclusively shoot 3's?! :nonono:

Hell no. To all of this.

Sure, then continue to see why Simmons and Embiid lose in important games.

It's called floor spacing. Embiid is a career 31.5% 3 point shooter, Simmons is a career 0% 3 point shooter. You choose which one provides the space.

Btw the 0% is not a typo or misprint, Ben Simmons has never made a 3 pointer in his NBA career.
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#187 » by Valid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:34 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
2Mas wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Exactly.

Dude. What?

Hell no. To all of this.

It's called floor spacing. Embiid is a career 31.5% 3 point shooter, Simmons is a career 0% 3 point shooter. You choose which one provides the space.

Btw the 0% is not a typo or misprint, Ben Simmons has never made a 3 pointer in his NBA career.

While I get what you're saying, I don't think you can have Embiid just shooting threes. What makes him such a dominant offensive force is the fact that he is just bigger and stronger than almost everyone else in the league not named Aron Baynes.

I honestly think their consistent inability to win big games is due to the fact that they just don't have "it." Any time an ounce of pressure falls on their shoulders, they crumble.

The fact that Embiid runs his mouth more than anyone I've ever seen (and for a guy who has won absolutely nothing) makes it even more laughable.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,067

Post#188 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Embiid should just work out all season long with like pool cardio, and shooting drills. Play no games. Whatever seed you make in the playoffs, he comes in and plays the last week of the season and the playoffs.

He won't survive a long career otherwise.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Valid
RealGM
And1: 12,656

Post#189 » by Valid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Embiid should just work out all season long with like pool cardio, and shooting drills. Play no games. Whatever seed you make in the playoffs, he comes in and plays the last week of the season and the playoffs.

Yeah he will be out of the league in five years. The constant injuries he has are not normal for a 25-year-old.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#190 » by Disinformation » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Valid wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Embiid should just work out all season long with like pool cardio, and shooting drills. Play no games. Whatever seed you make in the playoffs, he comes in and plays the last week of the season and the playoffs.

Yeah he will be out of the league in five years. The constant injuries he has are not normal for a 25-year-old.

The clock has been ticking on Embiid's career since the day he was drafted. The guy came in injured, missed the first two years of his career recovering, and has averaged 53 games played a year since.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#191 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Valid wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
2Mas wrote:Dude. What?

Hell no. To all of this.

While I get what you're saying, I don't think you can have Embiid just shooting threes. What makes him such a dominant offensive force is the fact that he is just bigger and stronger than almost everyone else in the league not named Aron Baynes.

I honestly think their consistent inability to win big games is due to the fact that they just don't have "it." Any time an ounce of pressure falls on their shoulders, they crumble.

The fact that Embiid runs his mouth more than anyone I've ever seen (and for a guy who has won absolutely nothing) makes it even more laughable.

Yeah my post is purely about the dynamic of Simmons and Embiid working together for the betterment of the team.

It's much more an indictment of Simmons than Embiid as Embiid can play inside or out. But you have to maxamize your weak link or you have what you have had his entire career. People not even guarding Simmons and cloging the lane for Embiid and Butler.

You have to do what is best for the team.

If Simmons isn't on the court then Embiid in the post is their best option outside of get a bucket situation. Then their best option is to spread the floor and clear out for Butler.

I mean watch any breakdown video of the Nets game and you see they did what we did. They didnt' guard Simmons or Embiid from 3 when one of them had the ball and cloged the lane. They also left McConel and Jonathan Simmons open from 3 hoping they'd miss it. And packed the paint.

Embiid played the right way but got mentally shooked by being open from 3 in the first quarter and abandoned it. Then just went inside to where 2-3 Net players were standing. Dumb basketball.

Again though ideally the 76ers fix this by trading Simmons to a team that thinks their time has finished but will give up their vet all-star (POR makes the most sense, we make some sense if we're worried about Irving still after resigning him) will build a roster around him the right way, the same way you build a roster around the Greek Freak. The only different is he's half the player Giannas is and is a passer not a scorer, but all the same.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#192 » by 2Mas » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Valid wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

I mean watch any breakdown video of the Nets game and you see they did what we did. They didnt' guard Simmons or Embiid from 3 when one of them had the ball and cloged the lane. They also left McConel and Jonathan Simmons open from 3 hoping they'd miss it. And packed the paint.

This is what I think the issue is.

Simmons & Embiid are a handful. The problem is Butler isn't a shooter, JJ & Harris aren't enough.

Say you let Jimmy walk & you fill our the roster with shooters. Say Pat Bev, resign Scott for the min. idk say they got JR Smith, Jared Dudley, idk whoever else. Then 2 ppl dominating the paint is not a problem. You can't 3/4 non shooters on the court. But 1.5 non shooters to me is fine.

The biggest problem is Ben Simmons wants to be a pg & he's a PF. last night 90% of all his pts & most of his assist are all big man moves. I loved it. He was great. But some reason hes playing pg so he's on the perimeter so no one cares bout him. If his big ass was in the paint, they'd have to guard him. He should be setting picks. Rolling to the rim, getting the ball in motion. Getting 3-2 advantages. Which he did a lot last night & which led to an easy win for them.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#193 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:15 pm

2Mas wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Valid wrote:While I get what you're saying, I don't think you can have Embiid just shooting threes. What makes him such a dominant offensive force is the fact that he is just bigger and stronger than almost everyone else in the league not named Aron Baynes.

Simmons & Embiid are a handful. The problem is Butler isn't a shooter, JJ & Harris aren't enough.

Say you let Jimmy walk & you fill our the roster with shooters. Say Pat Bev, resign Scott for the min. idk say they got JR Smith, Jared Dudley, idk whoever else. Then 2 ppl dominating the paint is not a problem. You can't 3/4 non shooters on the court. But 1.5 non shooters to me is fine.

The biggest problem is Ben Simmons wants to be a pg & he's a PF. last night 90% of all his pts & most of his assist are all big man moves. I loved it. He was great. But some reason hes playing pg so he's on the perimeter so no one cares bout him. If his big ass was in the paint, they'd have to guard him. He should be setting picks. Rolling to the rim, getting the ball in motion. Getting 3-2 advantages. Which he did a lot last night & which led to an easy win for them.

Yeah Simmons is one of the best passers in the game and a tremendous finisher at the rim.

But again he's never made a 3 pointer in the NBA in his entire career. I guess you could have him set picks off ball, but regadless on offense he needs to be A PART of every single play. Otherwise he's Kendrick Perkins off ball.

And with Simmons setting screens you have the same problem, no one is going to go over on a screen set by Simmons. He'd be an exclusive roll man, perhaps he's good enough to alley opp after that to create verticle space but compared to big men he's not special he's just their equal. But that is a good roll for Simmons when he's not the PG on offense, exclusively use him as a pick setter.

That's why I say you choose Embiid, who needs to dominate, but when Simmons is in there 75% of their plays should have Embiid stretching the floor.

Butler can hit 3s just fine. He was hitting the 35% clip this season for the 76ers which is a tad below average for the NBA itself. No big loss.

But yeah in the end, Embiid is never going to sacrafice his game, and Simmons is never going to shoot. Keep Butler and Harris with Embiid, get an older vet stud PG for a team that is willing to build exclusively around Simmons (aka everyone else must shoot 3s. Or be the pick and pop man as a Center that can pop out on his pick and rolls).
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#194 » by Taget » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Roddy wrote:Magic should never run another Franchise...EVER !

Read on Twitter

Yes he should. I can think of a few franchises I would love to see him run including the Lakers again.

Btw thank your lucky stars that the Lakers ignored signals that Jerry West wanted to return to the Lakers (from the Golden States Warriors) and let him go to the Clippers instead.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#195 » by Iguodaladon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Magic's back on twitter, doing what he does best - tweeting about the league. Lol.

Read on Twitter

What is Laker Nation going to do when he decides to tweet about how good of a player D'Angelo Russell has become? Lol

His tweets are less interesting than reading the boxscore :lol:
Obama to Zach Lavine: ‘I used to be able to get up like you back in the day.’
Jaren Jackson Jr on Doncic: 'I thought he was a myth'
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect

Post#196 » by Iguodaladon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Feel so bad for players like Cousins and IT4 who play so well only to crumble with injuries just before they can cash out
Iguodaladon
Pro Prospect

Post#197 » by Iguodaladon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
2Mas wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:I mean watch any breakdown video of the Nets game and you see they did what we did. They didnt' guard Simmons or Embiid from 3 when one of them had the ball and cloged the lane. They also left McConel and Jonathan Simmons open from 3 hoping they'd miss it. And packed the paint.

Yeah Simmons is one of the best passers in the game and a tremendous finisher at the rim.

But again he's never made a 3 pointer in the NBA in his entire career. I guess you could have him set picks off ball, but regadless on offense he needs to be A PART of every single play. Otherwise he's Kendrick Perkins off ball.

And with Simmons setting screens you have the same problem, no one is going to go over on a screen set by Simmons. He'd be an exclusive roll man, perhaps he's good enough to alley opp after that to create verticle space but compared to big men he's not special he's just their equal. But that is a good roll for Simmons when he's not the PG on offense, exclusively use him as a pick setter.

That's why I say you choose Embiid, who needs to dominate, but when Simmons is in there 75% of their plays should have Embiid stretching the floor.

Butler can hit 3s just fine. He was hitting the 35% clip this season for the 76ers which is a tad below average for the NBA itself. No big loss.

But yeah in the end, Embiid is never going to sacrafice his game, and Simmons is never going to shoot. Keep Butler and Harris with Embiid, get an older vet stud PG for a team that is willing to build exclusively around Simmons (aka everyone else must shoot 3s. Or be the pick and pop man as a Center that can pop out on his pick and rolls).

I was thinking about this today, would it even be crazy to play him as a Center? He's got absolutely no shot on him, but if you played him as a C you could keep him around the basket and have him exclusively finishing up close or making plays from the post. He's a good rebounder and a great finisher at the rim; add that to his passing abilities and he could be a real handful there. I mean we usually play Horford as a 6"10 Center so it could work

Sorry for the triple post :oops:
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#198 » by Floody100 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Iguodaladon wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
2Mas wrote:This is what I think the issue is.

I was thinking about this today, would it even be crazy to play him as a Center? He's got absolutely no shot on him, but if you played him as a C you could keep him around the basket and have him exclusively finishing up close or making plays from the post. He's a good rebounder and a great finisher at the rim; add that to his passing abilities and he could be a real handful there. I mean we usually play Horford as a 6"10 Center so it could work

Sorry for the triple post :oops:

He’d have to put on a good 20 pounds though.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#199 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Very interesting article by Chris Sheridan regarding the Sixers in the NYT yesterday.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

Cliff's notes version:
-Brett Brown is on the hotseat. Would need to get to the ECF for him not to be fired this summer
-Brown brought in Bruce Bowen to give the team a pep talk and instill Spurs culture. Meeting ended up with Embiid and Bowen getting into each others' faces
-Brand approached ownership about trading Ben Simmons because he feels that he is uncoachable and gets exposed during the playoffs. Ownership turned him down.
-Ben Simmons sat out against the Magic on March 25 because of a stomach flu. Turns out he was just really hungover.
-Ben Simmons can't shoot free throws because he doesn't bend his knees. Coaches have pointed this out to him, but he refuses to listen. :lol:

My take: I've never liked Ben Simmons. He has a very punch-able face, one that reeks of arrogance. I'm not surprised to hear that he is uncoachable. With that being said, he is still a very good player. Unfortunately, the best player on the Sixers happens to be Joel Embiid, who should be on the block at all times. This takes away Simmons driving lanes or post-up opportunities. There is just no synergy there, so I'm also not surprised that Brand wanted to trade him. If you want to maximize Embiid's strengths, you've got to get him better shooters to space the floor.

I guess that's where Philly would be stuck in between a rock and a hard place. Do you really want to build around Embiid, knowing that he's injury prone? Or do you stick with Simmons, even though the guy is a complete douche and will probably look to bounce to the Lakers/Clippers as soon as he can?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#200 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Very interesting article by Chris Sheridan regarding the Sixers in the NYT yesterday.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-sports-brett-brown-76ers-20190416-tto22hsfvje4zeq2y7egfkij2y-story.html

Cliff's notes version:
-Brett Brown is on the hotseat. Would need to get to the ECF for him not to be fired this summer
-Brown brought in Bruce Bowen to give the team a pep talk and instill Spurs culture. Meeting ended up with Embiid and Bowen getting into each others' faces
-Brand approached ownership about trading Ben Simmons because he feels that he is uncoachable and gets exposed during the playoffs. Ownership turned him down.
-Ben Simmons sat out against the Magic on March 25 because of a stomach flu. Turns out he was just really hungover.
-Ben Simmons can't shoot free throws because he doesn't bend his knees. Coaches have pointed this out to him, but he refuses to listen. :lol:

My take: I've never liked Ben Simmons. He has a very punch-able face, one that reeks of arrogance. I'm not surprised to hear that he is uncoachable. With that being said, he is still a very good player. Unfortunately, the best player on the Sixers happens to be Joel Embiid, who should be on the block at all times. This takes away Simmons driving lanes or post-up opportunities. There is just no synergy there, so I'm also not surprised that Brand wanted to trade him. If you want to maximize Embiid's strengths, you've got to get him better shooters to space the floor.

I guess that's where Philly would be stuck in between a rock and a hard place. Do you really want to build around Embiid, knowing that he's injury prone? Or do you stick with Simmons, even though the guy is a complete douche and will probably look to bounce to the Lakers/Clippers as soon as he can?

So very true.

Return to Boston Celtics