ImageImageImage

2019-2020 Roster Composition Wishlist (Non-Kyrie/ No-AD Edition)

Moderators: canman1971, sully00, SmartWentCrazy, The Comedian, Parliament10, Froob, ParticleMan, djFan71

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,170

Re: 2019-2020 Roster Composition Wishlist (Non-AD/KD/Kyrie Edition) 

Post#101 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Josh Jackson is so **** bad. You can't honestly want him on any iteration of the Celtics. lmao I would slash Mike Zarren's tires every day for a year if he traded for Josh Jackson. Wouldn't take him for free. Sometimes I feel like no one watches games or even glances at a boxscore and they just remember that Josh Jackson was drafted highly (by the least competent franchise in the sport). He makes Tatum look like prime Reggie Miller.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
3D Chess
Analyst
And1: 5,684

Post#102 » by 3D Chess » Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Sometimes I feel like no one watches games or even glances at a boxscore and they just remember that Josh Jackson was drafted highly (by the least competent franchise in the sport).

This is not a figment of your imagination - it is reality.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,812

Post#103 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Josh Jackson is so **** bad. You can't honestly want him on any iteration of the Celtics. lmao I would slash Mike Zarren's tires every day for a year if he traded for Josh Jackson. Wouldn't take him for free. Sometimes I feel like no one watches games or even glances at a boxscore and they just remember that Josh Jackson was drafted highly (by the least competent franchise in the sport). He makes Tatum look like prime Reggie Miller.

I definitely haven't seen much of him lately so how good or bad he is I'll definitely defer to those who have seen him. I'd just be surprised if Phoenix thought his perceived value was so low that they'd take our "human cigar" in payment.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,170

Post#104 » by Bleeding Green » Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Josh Jackson is so **** bad. You can't honestly want him on any iteration of the Celtics. lmao I would slash Mike Zarren's tires every day for a year if he traded for Josh Jackson. Wouldn't take him for free. Sometimes I feel like no one watches games or even glances at a boxscore and they just remember that Josh Jackson was drafted highly (by the least competent franchise in the sport). He makes Tatum look like prime Reggie Miller.

I definitely haven't seen much of him lately so how good or bad he is I'll definitely defer to those who have seen him. I'd just be surprised if Phoenix thought his perceived value was so low that they'd take our "human cigar" in payment.

Oh yeah, for Phoenix I don't think I'd bother trading him. He still has some ballhandling/passing/court vision/defensive versatility upside. And maybe he will follow the Marcus Smart path or something? Learn to shoot, then only take threes? Kind of devalues what they want him to be which is probably a point forward kind of player. Currently he can neither shoot nor decide what a good shot is. I don't discount that he could both learn to shoot and then also learn to only take good, open shots, but I don't want it to happen on the Celtics because it's probably going to take a few more years and he'll be on his second contract. It took Marcus Smart five year and 2300 field goal attempts before he figured out what to do on offense, and he's a bit of an anomaly himself I think, and he came up under the same coach, same system basically. Josh Jackson has a new coach ever year, his team sucks, probably stunting his growth to some extent.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 211

Post#105 » by FutureIsGreen » Thu May 23, 2019 5:36 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
FutureIsGreen wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I don't think that Suns would want to move on from Josh Jackson, over this incident.
Those it does have Felony Charges in it.

This is all I've found.:
Read on Twitter

I'm not saying they would, but I'd try to get him. Danny likes him, almost drafted here before. Fans/Bots want him gone everywhere I go online. So just a plausible target if No Kyrie.

Possibly. But even if it is, the trade scenario you suggested I would have to think is a non-starter. Jackson a former #4 pick with talent for our 12th man almost seems insulting.

Yabs and 22 for Jackson and a 2nd is pretty fair in my books. I get he once had great potential, but he still has on and off the court issues, that has to devalue him.
FutureIsGreen
Junior

Post#106 » by FutureIsGreen » Thu May 23, 2019 5:40 am

And has to be low risk for anyone to pull a trigger on trading for him. If they wanted any more I'd hang up the phone. 11 million is a lot to eat if he doesn't grow up.
FutureIsGreen
Junior

Post#107 » by FutureIsGreen » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 am

I understand that you see that, he has been horrible. I like us taking a flier on him as the worst thing he did up until this point was brush us off when he was drafted. We can offer him a do over fresh start. One of those taking back time scenarios that Could get him motivated. He is high risk, so we can offer low reward. Chances are we get someone at 22 who never plays like Yabs doesnt, and we get a 2nd rounder which is better for building with going forward. I would never offer anything of substance for the risk, but Yabs is not worth the 3 million, so it's better than getting Jackson for free, it saves 3 million of dead weight, a pick we dont need going forward. So they take some dead weight, and so do we.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,812

Post#108 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 pm

FutureIsGreen wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
FutureIsGreen wrote:
I'm not saying they would, but I'd try to get him. Danny likes him, almost drafted here before. Fans/Bots want him gone everywhere I go online. So just a plausible target if No Kyrie.

Possibly. But even if it is, the trade scenario you suggested I would have to think is a non-starter. Jackson a former #4 pick with talent for our 12th man almost seems insulting.

Yabs and 22 for Jackson and a 2nd is pretty fair in my books. I get he once had great potential, but he still has on and off the court issues, that has to devalue him.

Probably not worth me debating the issue too much but I see Phoenix laughing at that offer. And honestly, I doubt they seriously consider moving him at all, let alone for a salary dump. The reason why we'd even be interested (not that we even are) is the same reason why Phoenix would be inclined to keep him and work through the issues. It would be nice though if teams existed to trade us their talent.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
Jacobkowal
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#109 » by Jacobkowal » Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 am

Let Smart run the point with Brown, hayward, tatum and Horford rounding out the starting Line-up. Depending om matchups, start Baynes instead of hayward or Brown.
Let kyrie, rozier and Morris walk
Let Theis walk if he wants to go back to Germany
Ask Horford to opt in this year to sign a cheaper contract in 2020
Draft herro, matisse thybul and killian Tillie
Sign veteran backup point (Beverly or George Hill) or Shane Larkin to two year contract
Sign Pj Dozier

Smart / Beverly / Dozier
Brown / Herro
Hayward / Thybull / Ojeleye
Tatum / Tillie / Yabusele
Horford / Baynes / Williams

Maintain cap flexibity and roll out with a good shooting team with good character guys WHO Can switch on everything
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Back-Up Plan Thread 

Post#110 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 pm

Don't know if this warrants a sticky, but..

Assume the worst: Davis is traded somewhere else - Brooklyn? New York? LA? Philadelphia? Sacramento? - and Kyrie signs somewhere else.

That's two outs in the bottom of the, idk, 8th, as far as our rebuilding plan.

Where do you go from there? The Hayward for Conley idea doesn't persuade me at all.. I think you make Smart the starting point guard..

But Smart/Jaylen/Hayward/Tatum/Horford isn't a championship contender, whatever happened in the playoffs two years ago. Maybe Smart, Jaylen, Tatum, Williams get there in 2-3 years..

So do you just pay to keep Rozier and Morris, hang around the middle of the playoff standings? Wait for trade opportunities, where you can turn Brown/Rozier/filler into Bradley Beal? Try to deal Horford for a younger big like Steven Adams or Andre Drummond?

My gut says we'd try to keep Rozier and Morris at decent money, as trade chips, give a developmental year to Jaylen and Tatum with more responsibility, watch Hayward's health carefully, and watch the trade market for Horford..

Considering what we paid for Kyrie - IT (who cost a contract and a 1st), Crowder (from the Rondo trade), Zizic and a late lotto pick - we'd still be in the black if he walked.. but it'd be a major setback..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Re: Back-Up Plan Thread 

Post#111 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 pm

Oh, the other option would be to try to get Towns for the kind of package we were assembling for Davis..
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#112 » by sam_I_am » Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Don't know if this warrants a sticky, but..

Assume the worst: Davis is traded somewhere else - Brooklyn? New York? LA? Philadelphia? Sacramento? - and Kyrie signs somewhere else.

That's two outs in the bottom of the, idk, 8th, as far as our rebuilding plan.

Where do you go from there? The Hayward for Conley idea doesn't persuade me at all.. I think you make Smart the starting point guard..

But Smart/Jaylen/Hayward/Tatum/Horford isn't a championship contender, whatever happened in the playoffs two years ago. Maybe Smart, Jaylen, Tatum, Williams get there in 2-3 years..

So do you just pay to keep Rozier and Morris, hang around the middle of the playoff standings? Wait for trade opportunities, where you can turn Brown/Rozier/filler into Bradley Beal? Try to deal Horford for a younger big like Steven Adams or Andre Drummond?

My gut says we'd try to keep Rozier and Morris at decent money, as trade chips, give a developmental year to Jaylen and Tatum with more responsibility, watch Hayward's health carefully, and watch the trade market for Horford..

Considering what we paid for Kyrie - IT (who cost a contract and a 1st), Crowder (from the Rondo trade), Zizic and a late lotto pick - we'd still be in the black if he walked.. but it'd be a major setback..

I think if Kyrie leaves you almost have to gamble on Rozier or give Morris a juicy 2 year deal just to keep the salary slot open. If Danny drafts well and has Memphis pick in hand, there is a lot he can do before trade deadline to rework the roster. Without the salary of either Rozier or Morris, Kyrie leaving leaves us years away and possibly in Washington Wizards like purgatory.
“They needed four people to carry me, and Coach Stevens was one of those four people. There were probably 25 other people there that wanted to help, but he wanted to be sure he was one of the people to do it. I mean…that’s just the person he is.” - GH
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,873

Post#113 » by djFan71 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Don't know if this warrants a sticky, but..

Merged this bad-boy with the existing non Kyrie/AD roster composition one to test out my new iron fist powers. :)
Seems like the same topic to me. But good stuff.
chrisab123
General Manager
And1: 4,727

Post#114 » by chrisab123 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 pm

He's a crap human being and an awful player. Might threaten to beat down a woman in the front row if hes fighting for a loose ball and it lands in her direction. No thanks to this ham and egger. He's the opposite of what this team needs.

Also, absolutely not to Scary Terry and his ego trip. Dude is going to want to get Kyries touches. He's simply not that good. Solid bench guy but he's going to be mad if he has to come back for a substandard offer. If you think he's going to use it as motivation to get a bigger deal than ill use this year as exhibit A
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#115 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Sorry, hadn't seen that one..

sam, I'd be inclined to overpay both, yeah - 3/14 for Rozier (what are the odds he gets more minutes and keeps up the abysmal percentages?), 2/18 for Morris..

There's no obvious direction after that, though - Davis has been the prize for years - but if you're looking at a 32 year old Horford, 29 year old Hayward working his way back, Smart, and Jaylen/Jayson/Rob Williams as the future nucleus of a playoff team, that's not a great mix - you would basically need Jaylen to make the leap this summer and start the season as a Jimmy Butler/Paul George 22ppg guy who can score consistently in a variety of ways.. Tatum is still a couple of years away in offensive decision-making and strength gains..

Is there a way to lose Kyrie's 20 million, shave 10 million off Horford's salary, pay Rozier and Morris, and slide in shy of the luxury tax? Would there be any bargain MLE targets? The MLE next year will be about 9.2 million.. Is that enough to get Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Jabari Parker, Ricky Rubio, Mudiay?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#116 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

He's a crap human being and an awful player. Might threaten to beat down a woman in the front row if hes fighting for a loose ball and it lands in her direction. No thanks to this ham and egger. He's the opposite of what this team needs.

Also, absolutely not to Scary Terry and his ego trip. Dude is going to want to get Kyries touches. He's simply not that good. Solid bench guy but he's going to be mad if he has to come back for a substandard offer. If you think he's going to use it as motivation to get a bigger deal than ill use this year as exhibit A

Yeah, I'm out on Jackson - I had hoped for awhile we'd get him for Rozier, I think he has un-channeled talent and could be a good player - but the character stuff has piled up too high.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#117 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 pm

I do love TJ Warren, wish there were a way to get him here, but the only salary piece is Smart, unless they wanted to do something like Baynes (who I'm assuming opts in but will also be a pro about getting dealt) and a S&Traded Rozier.. That would actually be a decent trade.. make Warren a microwave scorer off the bench, what we wanted Rozier to be.. his defense is mediocre and he's a black hole with the ball, but you can live with it if he's playing with a defensively strong second unit..
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,873

Post#118 » by djFan71 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Sorry, hadn't seen that one..

sam, I'd be inclined to overpay both, yeah - 3/14 for Rozier (what are the odds he gets more minutes and keeps up the abysmal percentages?), 2/18 for Morris..

There's no obvious direction after that, though - Davis has been the prize for years - but if you're looking at a 32 year old Horford, 29 year old Hayward working his way back, Smart, and Jaylen/Jayson/Rob Williams as the future nucleus of a playoff team, that's not a great mix - you would basically need Jaylen to make the leap this summer and start the season as a Jimmy Butler/Paul George 22ppg guy who can score consistently in a variety of ways.. Tatum is still a couple of years away in offensive decision-making and strength gains..

Is there a way to lose Kyrie's 20 million, shave 10 million off Horford's salary, pay Rozier and Morris, and slide in shy of the luxury tax? Would there be any bargain MLE targets? The MLE next year will be about 9.2 million.. Is that enough to get Julius Randle, Bobby Portis, Jabari Parker, Ricky Rubio, Mudiay?

I have us at ~$110.4M ($21.6M under the tax) if Kyrie walks, and we don't change Horford and Baynes picks up his option. So, if you can shave $10M from Al (seems optimistic), then you can have $31M for Rozier & Morris & MLE. Which still gets tight. Think you gotta pick one of them and non-tax MLE or go both and taxpayer MLE of $5.7M.
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,326

Post#119 » by The Comedian » Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

You were spot on about Jackson months before that draft lol, i remember how nervous you were that Danny would take him over Tatum after the Sixers trade. Dodged a bullet, and then some.

I'm with you on Rozier as well, let that dude walk regardless of what happens with Kyrie. I know we won't have cap space, but the thought of him as the starting pg going forward is not one I enjoy.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#120 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 pm

What is the resistance to seeing Marcus Smart as a starting-caliber point guard? That's what we drafted him for, originally.. Rozier would be a back-up combo guard getting 30-odd minutes a night..

Return to Boston Celtics