ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,142

Re: Celtics General Offseason (incl. Trade) Thread, 2019 

Post#1921 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:33 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
I’ll take correction on it, but I haven’t seen anyone demonstrate that’s the case - it would just take unusual cooperation between Brooklyn, Boston, and the players involved.

As an unrestricted free agent, I could see Russell having legitimate interest in joining our roster, but Indiana looks like the front-runner - he’d fit them well.

There are paths minus Kyrie to open up cap space to max DAR ourselves.

I think the issue is $20m going out for Kyrie but $30m coming in for dlo, can't make the salaries match. Obscure s&t rules

DLo would be about 25-27 million incoming to us (his max is less than Kyrie’s 32 million) - and if Brooklyn is far enough under the cap, there’s no BYC for DAR, and they can absorb more salary than they send out

Isn't the Celtics receiving the salary an issue though?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1922 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 am

Miami stirring to get Jimmy Butler - they could pull it off - if their roster is in flux, try to peel off Justise Winslow - could also try to turn Hayward into Winslow/second contract, get more cap flexibility
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1923 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 am

Darthlukey wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:I think the issue is $20m going out for Kyrie but $30m coming in for dlo, can't make the salaries match. Obscure s&t rules

DLo would be about 25-27 million incoming to us (his max is less than Kyrie’s 32 million) - and if Brooklyn is far enough under the cap, there’s no BYC for DAR, and they can absorb more salary than they send out

Isn't the Celtics receiving the salary an issue though?

Kyrie would be BYC , but his outgoing salary for us would be 20 million, and Russell would be, I think, 25 (27?). Might have to add Yabu, but from what I can tell it’s possible
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,918

Post#1924 » by ILC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 am

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2019/06/15/lakers-land-anthony-davis-according-report/EZs9JjLkhTbS7OlOXUhoKL/story.html

There have been reports that the Celtics have had trade talks with the Rockets about their talented young center, Clint Capela, who has four years left on his five-year, $90 million deal. A league source said Saturday that the Celtics are intrigued by Capela, but that the sides have not had any trade talks and that a deal for Capela is unlikely because Boston would not have interest in surrendering the players needed to complete the trade.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1925 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 am

The best package from Houston’s perspective would be Smart/Jaylen for CC, not something we should do
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#1926 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 am

Why on earth would you want to trade for an inferior version of Kyrie? He is not worth a max and would stunt the growth of our young guys
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1927 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:Why on earth would you want to trade for an inferior version of Kyrie? He is not worth a max and would stunt the growth of our young guys

A. Who do you want to put at the point next year?

B. Russell is a good shooter and a much better passer than Kyrie - he can create looks for Brown and Tatum and catch and shoot off the ball. He’s also still growing as a player himself, only 23.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1928 » by winsomme2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:50 am

OK so this is way outside the box but:

How about Hayward and Jaylen (plus picks) for a maxed out KD (S&T w/GS)

Kyrie re-signs

GS does it to compete next year for a Title next season in their new building.

KD does it to get super max deal and play with his buddy Kyrie.

Kyrie for the same reasons as KD

next season obviously a punt with KD out...
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#1929 » by winsomme2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:59 am

winsomme2 wrote:OK so this is way outside the box but:

How about Hayward and Jaylen (plus picks) for a maxed out KD (S&T w/GS)

Kyrie re-signs

GS does it to compete next year for a Title next season in their new building.

KD does it to get super max deal and play with his buddy Kyrie.

Kyrie for the same reasons as KD

next season obviously a punt with KD out...

2019/20

Kyrie
Smart
Tatum
Morris
Horford

FA
Other Morris
Williams
2019 draft pick (Fernando?)
???

2020/21

The real fun begins...
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#1930 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:Why on earth would you want to trade for an inferior version of Kyrie? He is not worth a max and would stunt the growth of our young guys

B. Russell is a good shooter and a much better passer than Kyrie - he can create looks for Brown and Tatum and catch and shoot off the ball. He’s also still growing as a player himself, only 23.

I honestly don't know, but I really don't want to be locked down with that contract. Compare his numbers with Rozier, they are not different enough to justify the max. Give me someone who gets our guys their shots, granted this is worthless without providing any names, but I would love an actual PG.

The kid is a gunner
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1931 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:16 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

I honestly don't know, but I really don't want to be locked down with that contract. Compare his numbers with Rozier, they are not different enough to justify the max. Give me someone who gets our guys their shots, granted this is worthless without providing any names, but I would love an actual PG.

The kid is a gunner

https://www.nba.com/nets/news/2018/03/28/dangelo-russell-puts-his-passing-on-display-for-the-brooklyn-nets

From last year, Kenny Atkinson praising Russell’s “*elite* court vision” - he averaged 7 assists this year. He’s much, much better than Rozier.

I think his market is going to blow up with the Nets unlikely to match offers and maybe renouncing him, and we won’t be able to get him.

Ricky Rubio would be my other target - 6’5”, great defense, great court vision, reads, passing. Can’t shoot for sh*t, but that’s why he could get the MLE - and he’s had flickers of improved shooting. He also won’t hurt as much as he did on a Utah team that played Gobert and Favors at the same time as Rubio - three players with no shot.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1932 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:44 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:

I know the salary is hard to make work, but I would love to see dlo, brown, Gordon, Tatum and capella, with smart off the bench. All well and truly young except gordon
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1933 » by Darthlukey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:46 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
StojkoVrankovic wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:

The kid is a gunner

https://www.nba.com/nets/news/2018/03/28/dangelo-russell-puts-his-passing-on-display-for-the-brooklyn-nets

From last year, Kenny Atkinson praising Russell’s “*elite* court vision” - he averaged 7 assists this year. He’s much, much better than Rozier.

I think his market is going to blow up with the Nets unlikely to match offers and maybe renouncing him, and we won’t be able to get him.

Ricky Rubio would be my other target - 6’5”, great defense, great court vision, reads, passing. Can’t shoot for sh*t, but that’s why he could get the MLE - and he’s had flickers of improved shooting. He also won’t hurt as much as he did on a Utah team that played Gobert and Favors at the same time as Rubio - three players with no shot.

Yup, very keen for Rubio too
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#1934 » by robdog_5 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:50 am

Shooting is so important and Rubio is awful at it. I'd rather have Collison whose also a good defender.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,112

Post#1935 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:56 am

I'm ok with a Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford, Baynes core..would resign Morris and a PG. Maybe Rubio or Rondo.

Our team will blow expectations out of the water next year and it's going to be beautiful to watch. By the trade deadline Nola is going to be kicking itself for not taking Jaylen.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1936 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:01 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:I'm ok with a Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford, Baynes core..would resign Morris and a PG. Maybe Rubio or Rondo.

Our team will blow expectations out of the water next year and it's going to be beautiful to watch. By the trade deadline Nola is going to be kicking itself for not taking Jaylen.

Idk how close Brown and Tatum are - they overachieved two years ago - but now is a time to hope they’re as good as they think they are.

It’s also entirely possible Kyrie stays..
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#1937 » by winsomme2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:02 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:I'm ok with a Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford, Baynes core..would resign Morris and a PG. Maybe Rubio or Rondo.

I think you have to somehow break up Brown/Hayward/Tatum. They all need to start and none of them can legit play PF. Your interior defense and rebounding is too weak. This is a must as far as I'm concerned.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,635

Post#1938 » by The Corey's » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:02 am

I'll do a complete 360 on my fire ainge take if he can unload Hayward and Horford.

It's doing Hayward dirty but who cares, whatever Danny and Brad sold him 2 summers ago was a crock of **** anyway.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1939 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:22 am

The Corey's wrote:I'll do a complete 360 on my fire ainge take if he can unload Hayward and Horford.

It's doing Hayward dirty but who cares, whatever Danny and Brad sold him 2 summers ago was a crock of **** anyway.

We’ve just had bad luck - Kyrie, Utah Hayward and Horford two years ago would have been great, and we would have been in different transactions if they were all healthy.

Hayward’s injury, Kyrie bailing and Horford aging, Baynes getting hurt this year, Rich Paul’s power play, after we did everything right and were in a perfect position to get Davis.. it’s just more of that voodoo **** we had with Len Bias, Reggie Lewis, the ML Carr tank draft, the Pitino hiring..

On the bright side - Smart is trending upward as a shooter - we hit on Brown and Tatum with our picks - Rob Williams dropped to 27 - Ojeleye was a great find - Morris, if we keep him, had a career year and is a great stretch 3.5.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1940 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

winsomme2 wrote:

I think you have to somehow break up Brown/Hayward/Tatum. They all need to start and none of them can legit play PF. Your interior defense and rebounding is too weak. This is a must as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like we want Beal, but I actually love the idea of putting Tatum at the 2.. trade Brown for Jonathan Isaac or Aaron Gordon or Draymond Green, some legitimate power forward.. I think Tatum can do it but it’ll be years before he’s bulked up enough.

Return to Boston Celtics