ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#301 » by Tatumfor2 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Has anyone won Most Improved, All-Star MVP, regular season MVP, and Finals MVP all in the same year? Not asking for a friend. (I don't have any.)

Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,690

Post#302 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Has anyone won Most Improved, All-Star MVP, regular season MVP, and Finals MVP all in the same year? Not asking for a friend. (I don't have any.)

God's plan evidently doesn't include much punctuation.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#303 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:02 pm

I just wish Jaylen had some strong court-awareness skill like rebounding, passing or jumping of passing lanes. One would give me hope he'd later develop others. Analogy: Tatum, who always was a bit of a ball hawk, now seems to be learning to play-make as well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,863

Post#304 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Future NBA MVP!! Draft that guy!
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#305 » by 3D Chess » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Better passer and ball handler then than now.
ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Post#306 » by ConnorHenry » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:00 pm

Jaylen Brown is sporting a new 'do:

Read on Twitter
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#307 » by GuyClinch » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:I just wish Jaylen had some strong court-awareness skill like rebounding, passing or jumping of passing lanes. One would give me hope he'd later develop others. Analogy: Tatum, who always was a bit of a ball hawk, now seems to be learning to play-make as well.

Why do you think this? Both have low assist rates in the pro and college. Both don't seem to be great rebounders..
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#308 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 am

GuyClinch wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I just wish Jaylen had some strong court-awareness skill like rebounding, passing or jumping of passing lanes. One would give me hope he'd later develop others. Analogy: Tatum, who always was a bit of a ball hawk, now seems to be learning to play-make as well.

Why do you think this? Both have low assist rates in the pro and college. Both don't seem to be great rebounders..

Including in the World Cup, Tatum has a number of highlights in which he uses those long arms to reach out and sort of sidearm a two-handed pass for an assist. These are plays that he sort of plans ahead, but they're good ones.

That's newish. His steals from jumping passing lanes have been around longer.

Maybe some day he'll add more rebounding as well.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#309 » by cloverleaf » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:55 am

Kudos to Brown on easily the smartest and smoothest quote I have read from him in 3 and 1/2 years:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255572/Celtics-Approach-Jaylen-Brown-On-Contract-Extension
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#310 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:12 am

cloverleaf wrote:Kudos to Brown on easily the smartest and smoothest quote I have read from him in 3 and 1/2 years:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255572/Celtics-Approach-Jaylen-Brown-On-Contract-Extension

IMO Jaylen has always sounded intelligent and said the right things. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that sounded like a backhanded compliment.

But I could just be fatigued from defending his character on here.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#311 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:20 pm

Was Rondo the last rookie extension we did?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#312 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:50 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Was Rondo the last rookie extension we did?

Yup. I initially thought of Bradley, but he wasn't signed until the summer he became a RFA. If Ainge really is trying to sign Jaylen, it's either because he really believes in him, he's trying to get him for a bargain, or both. (IMO, I think Ainge and Zarren are trying to secure a deal now before he hires an agent).

Just lock him up to anything below a max deal now, because no matter how his season plays out, he's going to get a max offer, IMO. You've already got Raptors fans defending him on the GB, so you know their team would love to pair him up with Siakam (making the Celtics match an offer also messes up our cap, so it sounds like they'd do it just because). Atlanta has a ton of caps pace and he's from there. If Reddish and Deandre Young don't fare too well, I don't think they'd hesitate to bring Jaylen home. Just look at all of the teams that can have the space to sign him (cap experts may want to check in here, since I didn't check any of the cap holds, so this list may not be accurate):

Utah
Phoenix
Charlotte
New York
Sacramento
Cleveland
Memphis
Toronto
Atlanta

OKC, Detroit and Chicago could sneak in there if they can dump salary as well.

I don't value Brown as a max player, but his market value may end up just being that. I personally have no qualms about giving him the max if we plan on moving away from Hayward after next season, IMO.
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#313 » by chakdaddy » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:09 pm

Keep him for the max unless it will actually compromise a path to major FAs soon.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#314 » by jmr07019 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:19 pm

Has a top 5 pick ever hit RFA, gotten a max offer and had the team that drafted him decline to match? I would think this happens rarely if ever.
Show Love Spread Love
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#315 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:51 pm

I don't think we should keep both Brown and Tatum on max, at least not with Kemba on the books for the next 4 years.

Can't use up 3 max slots on the perimeter without the big position addressed.

Unless we could move Hayward and picks for a star big and roll with a 4 max roster.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#316 » by Bluewhale » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:12 pm

Celtics Approach Jaylen Brown On Contract Extension

So they will have a short negotiation with the deadline at Oct 21.

If the number doesn't match, they will move on to next summer.

Like the process for Marcus Smart and Rozier.

I don't expect Ainge to dump Jaylen Brown for a protected first round draft pick.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#317 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:17 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27795809/the-de-kobeing-jayson-tatum-begun

I know it's everything-is-wonderful season right now, but this is the most encouraging thing I've read relating to the Celtics in a while. It's nice to see Jayson acknowledging that last year he made the game tougher than it has to be for himself. And the excerpt from Drew Hanlen is great.

Hammering his point home, Hanlen sent Tatum a text breaking down how his shot diet contrasted with some of the NBA's elite perimeter scorers: LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Paul George and Devin Booker. All of them attempted significantly more than Tatum's 2.9 free throws and 3.9 3-pointers per game.

"I basically said, 'If you just shoot six free throws per game and six 3s per game at the same percentages you did last season, then you'll raise your [scoring] average from 15.7 to 20.7,'" Hanlen said.

"'That makes you an All-Star.'"

Hopefully the Charlotte game was a sign of things to come in the decision-making department.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#318 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:52 pm

24istheLAW wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27795809/the-de-kobeing-jayson-tatum-begun

I know it's everything-is-wonderful season right now, but this is the most encouraging thing I've read relating to the Celtics in a while. It's nice to see Jayson acknowledging that last year he made the game tougher than it has to be for himself. And the excerpt from Drew Hanlen is great.

Hammering his point home, Hanlen sent Tatum a text breaking down how his shot diet contrasted with some of the NBA's elite perimeter scorers: LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Paul George and Devin Booker. All of them attempted significantly more than Tatum's 2.9 free throws and 3.9 3-pointers per game.

"I basically said, 'If you just shoot six free throws per game and six 3s per game at the same percentages you did last season, then you'll raise your [scoring] average from 15.7 to 20.7,'" Hanlen said.

Hopefully the Charlotte game was a sign of things to come in the decision-making department.

The 3s should be an easy fix. FTAs a bit tougher.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#319 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:37 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27795809/the-de-kobeing-jayson-tatum-begun

What gives me hope is that he has been able to up his FTAs quite a bit in the playoffs both years, 59% and then 48% increase over his regular season FTA.

SSS and all, but it shows that he can get to the line more when he is aggressive.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#320 » by Slartibartfast » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:45 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

What gives me hope is that he has been able to up his FTAs quite a bit in the playoffs both years, 59% and then 48% increase over his regular season FTA.

SSS and all, but it shows that he can get to the line more when he is aggressive.

It's certainly possible. Just a bigger mindset adjustment than bombing more 3s. Maintaining the intensity/aggression over a long period of time.

Return to Boston Celtics