ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown

Moderators: Froob, ParticleMan, The Comedian, Parliament10, canman1971, djFan71, sully00

User avatar
VeryMuchWoke
Analyst
Posts: 3,280
And1: 3,538
Joined: Dec 18, 2011
Location: formerly iTalkToTheLord
 

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#61 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:51 pm

Scal just said on Sirius XM that Tatum is working out with Melo this offseason and the C's are "up in arms" about it. **** it, ship him out.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
R9ndo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,607
And1: 1,749
Joined: May 18, 2010
       

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#62 » by R9ndo » Thu Jun 6, 2019 6:57 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:Scal just said on Sirius XM that Tatum is working out with Melo this offseason and the C's are "up in arms" about it. **** it, ship him out.

First Kobe now Melo.. 2 guys who didn’t like to pass.
User avatar
greenroom31
Head Coach
Posts: 6,113
And1: 6,762
Joined: Nov 06, 2004

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#63 » by greenroom31 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:07 pm

R9ndo wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:Scal just said on Sirius XM that Tatum is working out with Melo this offseason and the C's are "up in arms" about it. **** it, ship him out.

First Kobe now Melo.. 2 guys who didn’t like to pass.


Melo is like the Jenna Jameson of NBA players. Can't he hang out with someone nice and closer to his age with a little less experience?
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,528
And1: 27,179
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#64 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:14 pm

celtics543 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I think both guys each have their own glaring flaw.

Tatum: Shot selection. I truly believe shot selection is the only thing holding him back from being a borderline all star in the East. 40% 3pt shooter, 85% at the line and he finished at a very high rate of 68% at the basket last year. The problem is he is far to willing to just settle for a contested pull up mid range jumper. I think he can be deadly from the mid range, but it should never be his 1st or 2nd option. The mid range shot should be a changeup, not his go to move. He also needs to facilitate.

Brown: His handle is horrible. He is never going to be a consistent scoring threat until he improves his handle. Its way to slow and high. If he could improve his handle, he would be a terror slashing the basket. He is also a bad FT shooter and because of that, Im not sure how consistent he will be over his career from 3.


I'm curious if Tatum's flaw is his shot selection or an inability to get to the rim. His handle isn't great and he's not particularly strong so he may be taking the long 2's because that's the shot he can get. Him getting to the basket is great but is he athletic enough to do that consistently?


I believe its thinking basketball that did a great breakdown of Tatum. Really showing how often Tatum turns down an open lane to drive for a pull up jumper. 37% of his shots in the playoffs last year came at the rim. He was able to drive pretty successfully when the defense gets tougher, compare that to this year's regular season where only 26% of his shots came at the rim.

Im not saying Tatum's handle is elite, but its plenty good enough to do what he needs to do. Its the shot selection that holds him back.
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,799
And1: 8,243
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#65 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Jun 6, 2019 7:35 pm

Both guys need to learn to make quick, instinctive decisions upon the catch, the last of which should be thinking iso unless it's a clear mismatch. They also got to read the defenses better when they're off the ball. AB made a living with those backcuts. Lowry and Curry are very good screen-setters for their size. Sometimes, just a strong cut from the weak side can free up a corner/wing shooter. Lots of ways to contribute on offense even when you don't have the ball.
bfchs123
Freshman
Posts: 82
And1: 156
Joined: May 15, 2019

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#66 » by bfchs123 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:20 pm

JR Hawks wrote:We should keep a running list of all the things that need to be done for Brown and Tatum to reach their superstar destiny:

-Let Kyrie go
-Trade Hayward
-Bring in a true point guard
-Bring in a rebounding big
-More shots

What have I missed?


I mean they are our two most valuable assets, both of which were #3 picks and showed significant potential very early on. People should be alarmed that their value is being eroded because we were giving substantial shots and minutes to end of rotation guys like Rozier and Morris.

I like Kyrie too but based on last season I don't see a path forward where Kyrie's iso/ballhandling can coexist with Tatum/Brown developing into primary scorers. A path must be chosen and continuing to force this will continue to erode development.

I think Hayward can coexist though, he makes players around him better and makes smart decisions with the ball. Same for having a true PG that isn't going to stall the offense like Rozier.
3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,577
And1: 5,884
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#67 » by 3D Chess » Thu Jun 6, 2019 8:36 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:Scal just said on Sirius XM that Tatum is working out with Melo this offseason and the C's are "up in arms" about it. **** it, ship him out.

Image
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 6,811
And1: 2,450
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#68 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Jun 6, 2019 9:13 pm

For the love of god, Melo?
User avatar
JR Hawks
Starter
Posts: 2,041
And1: 574
Joined: Apr 01, 2007

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#69 » by JR Hawks » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:27 pm

bfchs123 wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:We should keep a running list of all the things that need to be done for Brown and Tatum to reach their superstar destiny:

-Let Kyrie go
-Trade Hayward
-Bring in a true point guard
-Bring in a rebounding big
-More shots

What have I missed?


I mean they are our two most valuable assets, both of which were #3 picks and showed significant potential very early on. People should be alarmed that their value is being eroded because we were giving substantial shots and minutes to end of rotation guys like Rozier and Morris.

I like Kyrie too but based on last season I don't see a path forward where Kyrie's iso/ballhandling can coexist with Tatum/Brown developing into primary scorers. A path must be chosen and continuing to force this will continue to erode development.

I think Hayward can coexist though, he makes players around him better and makes smart decisions with the ball. Same for having a true PG that isn't going to stall the offense like Rozier.


Okay. I've updated the list below. Anything else missing?

-Let Kyrie go
-Trade Hayward
-Bring in a true point guard
-Bring in a rebounding big
-More shots
-Get rid of Rozier
-Let Morris go
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 6,518
And1: 5,978
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#70 » by djFan71 » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:32 pm

JR Hawks wrote:
bfchs123 wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:We should keep a running list of all the things that need to be done for Brown and Tatum to reach their superstar destiny:

-Let Kyrie go
-Trade Hayward
-Bring in a true point guard
-Bring in a rebounding big
-More shots

What have I missed?


I mean they are our two most valuable assets, both of which were #3 picks and showed significant potential very early on. People should be alarmed that their value is being eroded because we were giving substantial shots and minutes to end of rotation guys like Rozier and Morris.

I like Kyrie too but based on last season I don't see a path forward where Kyrie's iso/ballhandling can coexist with Tatum/Brown developing into primary scorers. A path must be chosen and continuing to force this will continue to erode development.

I think Hayward can coexist though, he makes players around him better and makes smart decisions with the ball. Same for having a true PG that isn't going to stall the offense like Rozier.


Okay. I've updated the list below. Anything else missing?

-Let Kyrie go
-Trade Hayward
-Bring in a true point guard
-Bring in a rebounding big
-More shots
-Get rid of Rozier
-Let Morris go

Get rid of Brad's entire offense and just call isos.
More Kobe & Melo tutoring.
Get rid of dribbling requirements. Most guys ignore them anyways.
Ask the other team nicely to let them score.
4 point line one shot fake and dribble inside the current 3 pt line.
R9ndo
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,607
And1: 1,749
Joined: May 18, 2010
       

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#71 » by R9ndo » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:12 am

Nice to see Tatum and Brown back in the gym already.
User avatar
JR Hawks
Starter
Posts: 2,041
And1: 574
Joined: Apr 01, 2007

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#72 » by JR Hawks » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:31 am

R9ndo wrote:Nice to see Tatum and Brown back in the gym already.


It would be even better if we weren't learning this because the organization was doing damage control.
User avatar
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
Posts: 22,697
And1: 12,331
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Location: Rio De Janeiro, Brasil...
     

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#73 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:47 am

3D Chess wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:Scal just said on Sirius XM that Tatum is working out with Melo this offseason and the C's are "up in arms" about it. **** it, ship him out.

Image


I think people forget how good Carmelo Anthony was at scoring the basketball. I can only dream Tatum ever becomes half the scorer Denver Carmelo was. New York ruined that guy..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
3D Chess
Analyst
Posts: 3,577
And1: 5,884
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#74 » by 3D Chess » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:25 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:I think people forget how good Carmelo Anthony was at scoring the basketball. I can only dream Tatum ever becomes half the scorer Denver Carmelo was. New York ruined that guy..

Fair call, but his attitude toward shot selection and team play won't cut it in modern basketball. Hope they don't rub off on JT like Mamba mentality appeared to this season.
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 19,786
And1: 22,965
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
       

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#75 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:29 pm

Lol at both guys working out with Melo. Only thing he can really tell them is "Go get paid. Winning is fun, but money is funner. Have you seen my wife?"
Tiny ball
Starter
Posts: 2,373
And1: 774
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Location: Some island in Philippines
         

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#76 » by Tiny ball » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:34 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Lol at both guys working out with Melo. Only thing he can really tell them is "Go get paid. Winning is fun, but money is funner. Have you seen my wife?"

To me she looks nasty. I'm 65 years old and think my girlfriend is way hotter plus she is like also 5 years younger than melos wife. I would not touch melos wife for million bucks.
Tiny ball
Starter
Posts: 2,373
And1: 774
Joined: Jul 31, 2016
Location: Some island in Philippines
         

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#77 » by Tiny ball » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:36 pm

3D Chess wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:I think people forget how good Carmelo Anthony was at scoring the basketball. I can only dream Tatum ever becomes half the scorer Denver Carmelo was. New York ruined that guy..

Fair call, but his attitude toward shot selection and team play won't cut it in modern basketball. Hope they don't rub off on JT like Mamba mentality appeared to this season.
He went so down hill after working out with Kobe.
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 19,786
And1: 22,965
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
       

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#78 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:45 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Lol at both guys working out with Melo. Only thing he can really tell them is "Go get paid. Winning is fun, but money is funner. Have you seen my wife?"

To me she looks nasty. I'm 65 years old and think my girlfriend is way hotter plus she is like also 5 years younger than melos wife. I would not touch melos wife for million bucks.


You're crazy. I would touch Melo's wife for free. I would also touch a lot of people for a million bucks. I've got really low standards if you're willing to throw a million bucks my way.
User avatar
truth18
RealGM
Posts: 37,771
And1: 40,749
Joined: Apr 17, 2011
Location: In '19, stomping you out in green Timbs
         

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#79 » by truth18 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:50 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:You're crazy. I would touch Melo's wife for free. I would also touch a lot of people for a million bucks. I've got really low standards if you're willing to throw a million bucks my way.


Hmm. So some Indecent Proposal stuff is going down with us after all on Monday?

Spoiler:
Seriously though. So **** pumped for game 5. Au, Canada. I have missed you so much, it's been years lol.
Spoiler:
Edug27 wrote:You’re like Paul Pierce with the awful takes.

Thought DMC was winning it all this year? Thought GS still had a cakewalk without KD? LOL
ViperGTS wrote:Have you ever been to Africa?
RIP(ieces) ViperGTS: 2016-2019 You remain in our hearts, always—eternally holding an enormous L
User avatar
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 13,643
And1: 9,628
Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Location: Medieval England, Iowa
Contact:

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#80 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jun 7, 2019 5:01 pm

Both 2-way wings with plus size, length and shooting ability and in Tatum's case, mid-post iso scoring. In combination that is very imposing.

But neither are good PNR creators or natural hustle guys.

They are more ensemble all-stars than future top 10 talents. Josh Howard and Danny Grangerish.

Return to Boston Celtics