ImageImageImage

Kyrie Irving Goodbye Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Kyrie Irving Thread, Part 2 -- Is he Green, or is he Gone? 

Post#381 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:37 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Yes kawhi right now is amazing. And recency bias sure makes that even more topical given his playoff run. And if was kawhi vs bron only I’d go with you- now Lebron has AD who will be engaged and motivated to play harder than ever. It’s a wrap

you watch Lebron last year?

Lebron is declining. He can’t play like a monster every night, has load management, and some games his body doesn’t bring it.

I love Lebron as a player. Big fan because he is great. He is 35 in December. I think Larry bird was retired, or nearly, at that age. Lebron is gonna breakdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he doenst need to play like a monster every night that is the whole point. and i love larry legend he's a basketball god but please don't compare his body and physique to lebrons.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#382 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Yes I did. Saw a player that while not near his old form is still absolutely fantastic. At worst if he’s not number 1 anymore what is he? 4-5 and now he has AD. HIS biggest weakness was his defense and now having AD Behind him in the paint is gonna help him and his team tremendously.

I hate Lebron and I root against him always but to say he’s still not one of the very top players in the league capable of greatness in the playoffs anymore is just blind homer optimism. Now he has another legit top 5 guy with him who will kill it in the pick and roll, lobs , and again help with the non existent defense and allow more rest during the regular season.

Separate our hate for Lebron and the lakers and be objective. It’s clear as day.
Too many optimists here or people who let their passion overtake sound reasoning. Same posters that had people thinking we get AD for Jaylen brown or not to trade Jaylen brown for kawhi bc we already have the young kawhi in brown.

Darth, you are right, but I think Lebron has 2 years , MAX at this level. And, he can’t get hurt.

I just think the Lakers had to do it, but they aren’t a 5 year team. This is a 3-year run. Who wants that?

If healthy, the team is 55 wins and up. But I don’t think they will be dominant.

They'll make the playoffs finally, but I just don't see 23 million as enough to build a team around AD/Lebron/Kuzma. Who's going to spread the floor? Lebron 33.9% from 3 last year, Kuzma 30%, AD, 33.1%. If some top flight free agent signs for 20m a year and a lot of ring chasing 3pt shooting vets sign on for vet min, ok.

If AD waives his 4m trade kicker (which I think he will do) they can sign another max guy. At that point the Lakers could get you, me and 10 guys from the local Y and they would still be favorites to win the title
*Insert witty signature here.*
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#383 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:41 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Darth, you are right, but I think Lebron has 2 years , MAX at this level. And, he can’t get hurt.

I just think the Lakers had to do it, but they aren’t a 5 year team. This is a 3-year run. Who wants that?

If healthy, the team is 55 wins and up. But I don’t think they will be dominant.

They'll make the playoffs finally, but I just don't see 23 million as enough to build a team around AD/Lebron/Kuzma. Who's going to spread the floor? Lebron 33.9% from 3 last year, Kuzma 30%, AD, 33.1%. If some top flight free agent signs for 20m a year and a lot of ring chasing 3pt shooting vets sign on for vet min, ok.

If AD waives his 4m trade kicker (which I think he will do) they can sign another max guy. At that point the Lakers could get you, me and 10 guys from the local Y and they would still be favorites to win the title

All reports from cap experts is 23m if he doesn't waive, 27m if he does waive trade kicker. Max salary for vet over 7 years is like 35m? It won't be full max.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Post#384 » by watsonthedragon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:45 pm

[King] Irving expected to meet with Celtics brass soon to discuss future.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#385 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:49 pm

I would feel really bad if I was a Cleveland fan and Kyrie joined the lakers. Broke up the band to reunite in LA? Come on...
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#386 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:52 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:[King] Irving expected to meet with Celtics brass soon to discuss future.

Hi Danny I'm going to the nets bye.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#387 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:57 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:[King] Irving expected to meet with Celtics brass soon to discuss future.

Also I may actually feel a little good about this had Davis not been traded already.

At the end of the day the Celtics just can't bring the same team back together.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#388 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:04 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:you watch Lebron last year?

Lebron is declining. He can’t play like a monster every night, has load management, and some games his body doesn’t bring it.

I love Lebron as a player. Big fan because he is great. He is 35 in December. I think Larry bird was retired, or nearly, at that age. Lebron is gonna breakdown.

he doenst need to play like a monster every night that is the whole point. and i love larry legend he's a basketball god but please don't compare his body and physique to lebrons.
Did you watch the Finals?? Bodies break down. There are ways to speed the breakdown up. Many ways. This is new era in health But smart team and coach will make an old man pay.
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,199

Post#389 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:05 pm

98.5 is also reporting that Irving is moving out of his house.

Well we all know he’s gone so thanks for the couple highlights kyrie
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#390 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

Last years kings team would crush what lakers have now. LJ and AD would both break down in 7 games. Hospital beds for both of them.
Bar Fight
RealGM
And1: 15,864

Post#391 » by Bar Fight » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:10 pm

At this point, can he even come back if he wanted to now? There's so much hostility towards him from the fanbase/city. Feels like the page has already been turned on the Kyrie era in Boston.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#392 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:13 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Zeroforwinger wrote:
27 is what they have if Davis waives his trade kicker. 23 if not. As others have said, not enough for a max guy. Even if they get a Kyrie or Kemba (who would leave a lot of money on the table) there’s nothing but vet minimums to fill out the roster. Everyone wants to anoint them but there’s not any logic behind it.

Actually even without another max slot as smitty has pointed out 40% of the nba players are free agents this summer and there’s not enough available cap space to pay them all or over pay and it’s a great off season to find bargain role players.

Add in the fact that it’s LeBron James who just teamed up with AD whose arguably the best superstar he’s ever had next to him at minimum in terms of potential and it’s hollywood they’ll fill out the roster just fine.

It’s one thing to hate the lakers and root against them- I do that all the time and love it but there’s also being realistic. The injuries to the warriors has opened the entire league and created a clear path to the nba finals for the lakers. It’s not annointing to them, it’s being honest.

Baring injury it will be lakers vs whoever comes out the east in the finals

Wouldn’t put that in the books just yet. Lebron is getting older. I am also not ruling out Houston, kawahi with the clips, and Portland.

Even Denver.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#393 » by Tiny ball » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:15 pm

:roll:
watsonthedragon wrote:Curious, if Kyrie had a change of heart and said he wanted to return, would you guys want him back?

To trade his nasty butt out of town to worse team in nba
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#394 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

Did you watch the Finals?? Bodies break down. There are ways to speed the breakdown up. Many ways. This is new era in health But smart team and coach will make an old man pay.

yes. i saw a top 5 mvp caliber player carry his team through the playoffs and put the other players around him in position to deliver for him and the rest of them. none of it happens without kawhi. vanvleet isn't a hero if there is no kawhi. lowry isn' t a champion if no kawhi.

the ring toronto has and the great run the players had is the residual effect of having a legitimate mvp caliber talent in his prime on your team. we have none. yet. let us see about tatum.

leon powe doesn't become a folk hero in boston without KG pierce and ray. horry isn't big shot bob if there's no superstars around him. it is always about the superstars. always has always will be. 80s celtics were a super team.

role players step up and deliver in huge moments but for those moments to be huge and on the big stage - you need superstars. they are the foundation. you keep talking about role players etc but there has been 1 team in the last 25 years to win without a superstar and really 2 in the entire history of the league.

you wanna believe in fairy tales? GO ahead it is your right but don't sell that bull over here to me. i believe in the celtics ownership and management so i am not screaming fire ainge etc but be realistic about the team's championship aspirations and how possible they are.

the warriors lost because of health yes- but they were able to be upset by another team who had a superstar. you have lebron on a team with another player who can be an mvp player in the league- they will flourish. yes injuries can deplete a team and yes the older you get the more they occur but baring season ending injury lebron will get them to the finals.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#395 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:18 pm

R9ndo wrote:98.5 is also reporting that Irving is moving out of his house.

Well we all know he’s gone so thanks for the couple highlights kyrie

Yeah he has been gone since December. The meeting with the Celtics is just an exit interview.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#396 » by jcappy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm

I only wanted him back, if down deep I did at all, as a non-max player, so I'm glad to let any other team fork over the cash to him.
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#397 » by BigTrade92 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Can I burn my Irving shirt yet?
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#398 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

yes. i saw a top 5 mvp caliber player carry his team through the playoffs and put the other players around him in position to deliver for him and the rest of them. none of it happens without kawhi. vanvleet isn't a hero if there is no kawhi. lowry isn' t a champion if no kawhi.

the ring toronto has and the great run the players had is the residual effect of having a legitimate mvp caliber talent in his prime on your team. we have none. yet. let us see about tatum.

leon powe doesn't become a folk hero in boston without KG pierce and ray. horry isn't big shot bob if there's no superstars around him. it is always about the superstars. always has always will be. 80s celtics were a super team.

role players step up and deliver in huge moments but for those moments to be huge and on the big stage - you need superstars. they are the foundation. you keep talking about role players etc but there has been 1 team in the last 25 years to win without a superstar and really 2 in the entire history of the league.

you wanna believe in fairy tales? GO ahead it is your right but don't sell that bull over here to me. i believe in the celtics ownership and management so i am not screaming fire ainge etc but be realistic about the team's championship aspirations and how possible they are.

the warriors lost because of health yes- but they were able to be upset by another team who had a superstar. you have lebron on a team with another player who can be an mvp player in the league- they will flourish. yes injuries can deplete a team and yes the older you get the more they occur but baring season ending injury lebron will get them to the finals.

Without players like Lowry, Siakam and Gasol, Toronto doesn't get past the 2nd round. Toronto was a team and not a one man show.

I think Leonard ended up getting a bit overrated this year/post season. And I have really liked the guy since his rookie year but his defense at this stage is a little overrated and not the same as his SAS days... Top 10 player? Yes. Best player in league. Nope.

Toronto had a team that was one pace to win over 50 games without him. Leonard was their best player and he stepped up on the offensive end in the postseason but it was the other players that really were the critical difference between the Raptors and Bucks/Warriors. For example, up until at least finals game, Bucks outscored Toronto when Giannis and Leonard were both on the court. Giannis is just the much better team defender at this point. But on Toronto, Leonard doesn't have to carry the defense with Gasol/Siakam/Ibaka/Green/Lowry.

Tough to call Kyle Lowry a role player when throughout his Toronto career, he has been better as a 2 way player than Kyrie Irving. Lowry has been a 5 time all-star are relatively speaking playing in once obscure Toronto, the guy has earned them. Gasol was one of the two big players in Memphis on a team that wasn't usually deep at all. Siakam will be an all-star next year if Leonard leaves.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#399 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:32 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: Did you watch the Finals?? Bodies break down. There are ways to speed the breakdown up. Many ways. This is new era in health But smart team and coach will make an old man pay.

Without players like Lowry, Siakam and Gasol, Toronto doesn't get past the 2nd round. Toronto was a team and not a one man show.

I think Leonard ended up getting a bit overrated this year/post season. And I have really liked the guy since his rookie year but his defense at this stage is a little overrated and not the same as his SAS days... Top 10 player? Yes. Best player in league. Nope.

Toronto had a team that was one pace to win over 50 games without him. Leonard was their best player and he stepped up on the offensive end in the postseason but it was the other players that really were the critical difference between the Raptors and Bucks/Warriors. For example, up until at least finals game, Bucks outscored Toronto when Giannis and Leonard were both on the court. Giannis is just the much better team defender at this point. But on Toronto, Leonard doesn't have to carry the defense with Gasol/Siakam/Ibaka/Green/Lowry.

Tough to call Kyle Lowry a role player when throughout his Toronto career, he has been better as a 2 way player than Kyrie Irving. Lowry has been a 5 time all-star are relatively speaking playing in once obscure Toronto, the guy has earned them. Gasol was one of the two big players in Memphis on a team that wasn't usually deep at all. Siakam will be an all-star next year if Leonard leaves.

Also, If KD didn't blow his achilles and Klay his ACL, from what I saw, the Raptors would have lost.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#400 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Tiny ball wrote: Did you watch the Finals?? Bodies break down. There are ways to speed the breakdown up. Many ways. This is new era in health But smart team and coach will make an old man pay.

And without a player like kawhi we are still making jokes about the raptors hanging division banners so what’s the point? They were a team that had the luxury of having an mvp caliber player. You guys put too much emphasis on regular season win total- who gives a flying **** if you win 50 then get to the playoffs and can’t beat elite teams.

Those other players can step up because the load they carry is alleviated bc of kawhi and his presence of being on the court. No one is taking away anything the6 accomplished but they aren’t doing a god damn thing without kawhi. The previous 5 years should tell you that.

Return to Boston Celtics