ImageImageImage

Kyrie Irving Goodbye Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Kyrie Irving Thread, Part 2 -- Is he Green, or is he Gone? 

Post#401 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
yes. i saw a top 5 mvp caliber player carry his team through the playoffs and put the other players around him in position to deliver for him and the rest of them. none of it happens without kawhi. vanvleet isn't a hero if there is no kawhi. lowry isn' t a champion if no kawhi.

the ring toronto has and the great run the players had is the residual effect of having a legitimate mvp caliber talent in his prime on your team. we have none. yet. let us see about tatum.

leon powe doesn't become a folk hero in boston without KG pierce and ray. horry isn't big shot bob if there's no superstars around him. it is always about the superstars. always has always will be. 80s celtics were a super team.

role players step up and deliver in huge moments but for those moments to be huge and on the big stage - you need superstars. they are the foundation. you keep talking about role players etc but there has been 1 team in the last 25 years to win without a superstar and really 2 in the entire history of the league.

you wanna believe in fairy tales? GO ahead it is your right but don't sell that bull over here to me. i believe in the celtics ownership and management so i am not screaming fire ainge etc but be realistic about the team's championship aspirations and how possible they are.

the warriors lost because of health yes- but they were able to be upset by another team who had a superstar. you have lebron on a team with another player who can be an mvp player in the league- they will flourish. yes injuries can deplete a team and yes the older you get the more they occur but baring season ending injury lebron will get them to the finals.

Without players like Lowry, Siakam and Gasol, Toronto doesn't get past the 2nd round. Toronto was a team and not a one man show.

I think Leonard ended up getting a bit overrated this year/post season. And I have really liked the guy since his rookie year but his defense at this stage is a little overrated and not the same as his SAS days... Top 10 player? Yes. Best player in league. Nope.

Toronto had a team that was one pace to win over 50 games without him. Leonard was their best player and he stepped up on the offensive end in the postseason but it was the other players that really were the critical difference between the Raptors and Bucks/Warriors. For example, up until at least finals game, Bucks outscored Toronto when Giannis and Leonard were both on the court. Giannis is just the much better team defender at this point. But on Toronto, Leonard doesn't have to carry the defense with Gasol/Siakam/Ibaka/Green/Lowry.

Tough to call Kyle Lowry a role player when throughout his Toronto career, he has been better as a 2 way player than Kyrie Irving. Lowry has been a 5 time all-star are relatively speaking playing in once obscure Toronto, the guy has earned them. Gasol was one of the two big players in Memphis on a team that wasn't usually deep at all. Siakam will be an all-star next year if Leonard leaves.

Also, If KD didn't blow his achilles and Klay his ACL, from what I saw, the Raptors would have lost.

What kind of point is that? The warriors are a juggernaut. No one was beating them but to even have a chance you need a player of kawhis level.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#402 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:46 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
Without players like Lowry, Siakam and Gasol, Toronto doesn't get past the 2nd round. Toronto was a team and not a one man show.

I think Leonard ended up getting a bit overrated this year/post season. And I have really liked the guy since his rookie year but his defense at this stage is a little overrated and not the same as his SAS days... Top 10 player? Yes. Best player in league. Nope.

Toronto had a team that was one pace to win over 50 games without him. Leonard was their best player and he stepped up on the offensive end in the postseason but it was the other players that really were the critical difference between the Raptors and Bucks/Warriors. For example, up until at least finals game, Bucks outscored Toronto when Giannis and Leonard were both on the court. Giannis is just the much better team defender at this point. But on Toronto, Leonard doesn't have to carry the defense with Gasol/Siakam/Ibaka/Green/Lowry.

Tough to call Kyle Lowry a role player when throughout his Toronto career, he has been better as a 2 way player than Kyrie Irving. Lowry has been a 5 time all-star are relatively speaking playing in once obscure Toronto, the guy has earned them. Gasol was one of the two big players in Memphis on a team that wasn't usually deep at all. Siakam will be an all-star next year if Leonard leaves.

Also, If KD didn't blow his achilles and Klay his ACL, from what I saw, the Raptors would have lost.

What kind of point is that? The warriors are a juggernaut. No one was beating them but to even have a chance you need a player of kawhis level.

The point is simple. Just having the top 5 player on your team isn't enough. Even with top 5, lots of all star type role players and depth, the Raptors still almost didn't win. Lakers are not a shoe in for the finals or years of championships. But I agree, they should make the playoffs this year finally regardless how they finish out the roster.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#403 » by CelticsLV » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Don't fall off the edge of the earth on your way to New York.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#404 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Also, If KD didn't blow his achilles and Klay his ACL, from what I saw, the Raptors would have lost.

The point is simple. Just having the top 5 player on your team isn't enough. Even with top 5, lots of all star type role players and depth, the Raptors still almost didn't win. Lakers are not a shoe in for the finals or years of championships. But I agree, they should make the playoffs this year finally regardless how they finish out the roster.

By the time the roster is constructed they’ll be shoe ins. Mere formality right now. And yes with top 5 talent your not beating a juggernaut naught like the warriors but having that elite talent (which we don’t anywhere on the roster) puts you in position to win a ring and compete with them if injury does occur and also now the league is wide open allows them to try and repeat.

We have no top 5 talent on the roster, Tatum has the potential (still thing top 5 is too high a ceiling for him but I digress to me he’s 10-15 range) let’s develope him and take a small setback for a major comeback
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,443

Post#405 » by Scarletfire81 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:01 pm

There are reports that Kyrie is going to meet to meet with Celtics management. Why would they waste time doing this? Confusing.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#406 » by ddb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:03 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:There are reports that Kyrie is going to meet to meet with Celtics management. Why would they waste time doing this? Confusing.

this isn't uncommon. KD met with OKC before leaving for the Warriors. In the meeting they will pitch him to stay and discuss their plans for the summer. Or if Kyrie openly tells them he's planning on leaving Boston they can discuss S/T's, etc.
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#407 » by amory87 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:you watch Lebron last year?

Yes I did. Saw a player that while not near his old form is still absolutely fantastic. At worst if he’s not number 1 anymore what is he? 4-5 and now he has AD. HIS biggest weakness was his defense and now having AD Behind him in the paint is gonna help him and his team tremendously.

I hate Lebron and I root against him always but to say he’s still not one of the very top players in the league capable of greatness in the playoffs anymore is just blind homer optimism. Now he has another legit top 5 guy with him who will kill it in the pick and roll, lobs , and again help with the non existent defense and allow more rest during the regular season.

Separate our hate for Lebron and the lakers and be objective. It’s clear as day.
Too many optimists here or people who let their passion overtake sound reasoning. Same posters that had people thinking we get AD for Jaylen brown or not to trade Jaylen brown for kawhi bc we already have the young kawhi in brown.

Darth, you are right, but I think Lebron has 2 years , MAX at this level. And, he can’t get hurt.

I just think the Lakers had to do it, but they aren’t a 5 year team. This is a 3-year run. Who wants that?

If healthy, the team is 55 wins and up. But I don’t think they will be dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you draft a transcendent superstar who can seriously contribute from Day 1 (and tbh even then a 5 year run is far from guaranteed), 3 year runs (or less) are the default window. In retrospect I wish Danny had tried to swing for the fences and build for a legitimate 3 year run with all of those assets he had, rather than trying to subtly paint some kind of 10-year dynastic masterpiece. There's too many variables in the modern NBA to do that successfully. Literally anything can happen any given year.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#408 » by Bohemian » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 pm

ddb wrote:
Scarletfire81 wrote:There are reports that Kyrie is going to meet to meet with Celtics management. Why would they waste time doing this? Confusing.

this isn't uncommon. KD met with OKC before leaving for the Warriors. In the meeting they will pitch him to stay and discuss their plans for the summer. Or if Kyrie openly tells them he's planning on leaving Boston they can discuss S/T's, etc.

Very interesting. Imagine he stays :)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,837

Post#409 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Bohemian wrote:
ddb wrote:

S&T is the most I'm hoping for.
If they agree on a 1+1 deal, I swear to god I'm out for this year.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#410 » by SichtingLives » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:49 pm

Bohemian wrote:
ddb wrote:

if he's a masochist at heart, hes at least considering it
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
prov1ml
Starter
And1: 2,157

Post#411 » by prov1ml » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24 pm

I hope we get a Bulpett article after the meeting that explains essentially how Kyrie justified his unhappiness to Danny and Brad and his reasons for leaving them holding an empty bag after we gave him exactly what he claimed he wanted in the beginning.....

Part of me sort of wonders if this meeting couldn't be a 'come to Jesus' moment for Kyrie and they can agree to give it another try BUT from all reports outside and inside it sounds like he's gone. All of that aside from the one Bulpett report that claimed he hadn't completely closed the door on a return to Boston.

I just don't understand how you can give up an extra year of a contract, more money, a great team with an opportunity to contend for the next decade and a team where you are hailed as the de facto "leader". The latter being the most important since that's basically the his gripe was in Cleveland. I really want to hear his justifications/reasons for leaving that all on the table. All of this after he, according to reports, wrote the verbiage for that god damn Nike commercial.

If he does leave, I don't remember who mentioned in on here, but I'd give anything for the team to play that commercial during the first time out of our first home game with the Nets :lol: That would be **** epic.
prov1ml
Starter
And1: 2,157

Post#412 » by prov1ml » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Reload mentioned Horford not wanting to play with Kyrie moving forward. If that is 100% true, I seriously if we could pull off a deal with Horford to GS for Durant provided KD signs a long term deal. We give Horford a chance to compete for a title as soon as next year, he gets his wish of not having to team up with Kyrie anymore, PLUS we allow Kyrie and KD to team up which they clearly want to do. Yes, next year would probably end up being a waste, but after that.....
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#413 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:46 pm

prov1ml wrote:I hope we get a Bulpett article after the meeting that explains essentially how Kyrie justified his unhappiness to Danny and Brad and his reasons for leaving them holding an empty bag after we gave him exactly what he claimed he wanted in the beginning.....

Part of me sort of wonders if this meeting couldn't be a 'come to Jesus' moment for Kyrie and they can agree to give it another try BUT from all reports outside and inside it sounds like he's gone. All of that aside from the one Bulpett report that claimed he hadn't completely closed the door on a return to Boston.

I just don't understand how you can give up an extra year of a contract, more money, a great team with an opportunity to contend for the next decade and a team where you are hailed as the de facto "leader". The latter being the most important since that's basically the his gripe was in Cleveland. I really want to hear his justifications/reasons for leaving that all on the table. All of this after he, according to reports, wrote the verbiage for that god damn Nike commercial.

If he does leave, I don't remember who mentioned in on here, but I'd give anything for the team to play that commercial during the first time out of our first home game with the Nets :lol: That would be **** epic.

The Celtics pieces don't fit that well together for postseason basketball. So, Kyrie is making the correct decision to leave the Boston Celtics for the Brooklyn Nets. Less pressure. More happiness. He will still be a household name. Yes, probably lots of first and 2nd round exits even if they get KD but he will be paid lots of money and be home playing for a team he used to root for.

I don't think Kyrie is as good as some of his biggest fans think or as bad as his fiercest critics think but I can't blame him for going to play for the Nets.

Celtics didn't go all in trying to win this year with Kyrie and Hayward looking like he may be healthier/better by postseason. In Kyrie's shoes, what would give you confidence that they will next year?

I wouldn't be confident. Kyrie may have correctly determined that Ainge viewed him more as potential trade fodder in a year or two than a player worthy of building around. If that is the case, why not choose your own destination?

I actually applaud and not criticize how Kyrie so far has handled his FA decision this off-season. Hasn't badmouthed Boston but in a low key way he has just signaled he is a goner. Firing your agent and hiring someone connected to the Nets is obviously a sign. Buying a home in area is a sign. Now packing up your bags to leave Boston sure seems like the final signal.
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#414 » by BakersDozen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

This past season was the least fun season i can remember in a long time and i blame kyries prima attitude for that... he signs a 1+1 deal ill puke. Sickening the way the team catered to this clown.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
WeLikeOurGuys
General Manager
And1: 7,198

Post#415 » by WeLikeOurGuys » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:50 pm

I’ll take kyrie back on a 1+1 and if he can’t fix his attitude I would trade his ass.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,067

Post#416 » by Ben-N1ce » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Well doesn't he have to give back keys to the building gym etc?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#417 » by brackdan70 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 pm

Parting gifts? Maybe a leprechaun mug?
Sign here
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#418 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:06 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

He'll always be part of the Celtics family.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#419 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#420 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

He'll always be part of the Celtics family.

I’m dreaming of a meeting where Wyc and Danny read him the riot act, call him a sh*t, harp on his major flaws, and tell him they’ll say all the right things publicly, but that the only way they’ll take him back on a max deal is if he fixes his attitude, and that they’ll trade his ass in a heartbeat if he steps out of line because they don’t think he’s a true Celtic.

Return to Boston Celtics