ImageImageImage

Kyrie Irving Goodbye Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Re: Kyrie Irving Thread, Part 2 -- Is he Green, or is he Gone? 

Post#81 » by Gooner » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:07 pm

sully00 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
That is a very good point. If that report about the Pels valuing Tatum is true, then it could be similar to KG/Al Jefferson. When the Celtics made the first offer prior to the draft, it was #5, Al, and filler. When we used #5 for Ray Allen, people kept hinting that a KG trade could still happen, and as Gorman said, Ainge was just waiting for "the other shoe to drop". I didn't think it was possible that the Wolves would do the deal with Jefferson being the best piece in the trade. As it turns out, Kevin McHale was obsessed with Big Al. Let's hope that Griffin is just as obsessed with Tatum as McHale was about Jefferson.

Kevin McHale wanted to help Celtics. David Griffin might want to help LeBron. And Adam Silver.

You seem to have off reading on this situation. David Griffin isn't in love with Lebron, the fact that he wouldn't commit to CLE cost Griffin his job. From the New Orleans perspective the hiring of Griffin was more bad news for the Lakers. Adam Silver doesn't want Davis in LAL it doesn't help the brand the way some people think. Silver wants 7 game series in every round, he wants super stars not super teams. More importantly he doesn't want small market teams to look like they are getting raped by large market teams. In the end there are a lot more small market owners than large market owners and that is who Silver has to answer to.

What Silver really doesn't want is his superstars go to waste. Especially when it's LeBron James in the final years of his career, and especially when he is in LA. Small market teams like New Orleans and Memphis got 2 first picks, they are fine for now. I believe that helping superstars like LeBron and AD is on the agenda now.

I don't know if Griffin loves LeBron or not, but I don't think it matters. He got all those first picks with Cleveland, and now he shows up in New Orleans and gets no.1 pick again, even though he didn't have great odds in some of those lotteries. That's interesting.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#82 » by KGboss » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Durant snapping his Achilles may have serious effects on Kyries decisions and maybe even AD. Interesting to see where the ripple effect is

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#83 » by KGboss » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the celtics and kyrie are fine. I dont think Danny holds any I'll will toward this kid and I wouldn't let Boston media and stupid fans dictate team opinion

greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#84 » by greenroom31 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I still feel terrible for KD and the achilles injury. One of the best players of the past decade potentially missing a full year and having to rehab from an achilles just completely sucks for the league and of course for him and his family.

It's probably premature to even think about the implications on other free agents, but given that there was so much talk about Kyrie and KD teaming up somewhere you have to wonder what the impact is if KD will miss next season. Does Kyrie sign a 1+1 and does KD exercise his player option? I don't know... it really has the potential to change this offseason however. What was hazy before is now completely undecipherable IMO.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#85 » by sully00 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Gooner wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Kevin McHale wanted to help Celtics. David Griffin might want to help LeBron. And Adam Silver.

You seem to have off reading on this situation. David Griffin isn't in love with Lebron, the fact that he wouldn't commit to CLE cost Griffin his job. From the New Orleans perspective the hiring of Griffin was more bad news for the Lakers. Adam Silver doesn't want Davis in LAL it doesn't help the brand the way some people think. Silver wants 7 game series in every round, he wants super stars not super teams. More importantly he doesn't want small market teams to look like they are getting raped by large market teams. In the end there are a lot more small market owners than large market owners and that is who Silver has to answer to.

What Silver really doesn't want is his superstars go to waste. Especially when it's LeBron James in the final years of his career, and especially when he is in LA. Small market teams like New Orleans and Memphis got 2 first picks, they are fine for now. I believe that helping superstars like LeBron and AD is on the agenda now.

I don't know if Griffin loves LeBron or not, but I don't think it matters. He got all those first picks with Cleveland, and now he shows up in New Orleans and gets no.1 pick again, even though he didn't have great odds in some of those lotteries. That's interesting.

I am telling you it isn't he doesn't work for the players he works for the owners. The Lakers don't need his help, if Kawhi replaces Lebron so be it it will have to happen some time. Does he want Anthony Davis on a lottery team? no not ideal but he wants his 7 and 8 seeds to be compelling TV. Does he want the Knicks to suck? no, again not great to have large market team suck same goes for Chicago and Miami.

In the end having 3 #1 stars on one team hurts the league. Just less nights with marquee match ups that people want to see. These types of stars are also divas and it tends to end in flames. So it it was up to Silver he would want great teams in his major markets and his biggest stars in smaller markets, where they alone can drive ticket and merchandise sales and draw on the road.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#86 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Knicks sucking isn't that bad, they could will the arena regardless, they still do and have been terrible for a long time.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#87 » by amory87 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

greenroom31 wrote:I still feel terrible for KD and the achilles injury. One of the best players of the past decade potentially missing a full year and having to rehab from an achilles just completely sucks for the league and of course for him and his family.

It's probably premature to even think about the implications on other free agents, but given that there was so much talk about Kyrie and KD teaming up somewhere you have to wonder what the impact is if KD will miss next season. Does Kyrie sign a 1+1 and does KD exercise his player option? I don't know... it really has the potential to change this offseason however. What was hazy before is now completely undecipherable IMO.

I'm sure someone would give it to him but if I'm the Celtics I'm not offering Kyrie a 1+1. Screw that. He's not close to the level of a LeBron or a KD where he should be allowed to create a distraction every year about where he's going in free agency, especially when we saw this past year how great he's been with the media when asked questions on that subject.
ILC
Starter
And1: 1,918

Post#88 » by ILC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:29 pm

sully00 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
Yes, I believe they did. But Pop was having none of Uncle Drew.

No they didn't lol. You think Pop would rather take DeRozan over Kyrie? No chance.

Yeah because DeRozan is signed for another two years plus an option. Trading for Kyrie puts them in the exact same position they were in with Leonard contract wise. What don't you understand?

SA wanted to stay relevant and competitive it worked they had a top 10 offense and made the playoffs. They have a young PG they like in Murray and suitable stand in's they needed a star wing and got one.

Kyrie had Spurs on his preferred destinations list. They had every reason to believe he would stay long term.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:Redemption. Water into wine....rondo is Jesus
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,854

Post#89 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

I want the Celtics to Blake Griffin the **** out of Kyrie so bad lol. Sign him to his 5-year max then trade him prior to the trade deadline. (if no AD)
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#90 » by sully00 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm

IlCapitano wrote:
sully00 wrote:
Gooner wrote:
No they didn't lol. You think Pop would rather take DeRozan over Kyrie? No chance.

Yeah because DeRozan is signed for another two years plus an option. Trading for Kyrie puts them in the exact same position they were in with Leonard contract wise. What don't you understand?

SA wanted to stay relevant and competitive it worked they had a top 10 offense and made the playoffs. They have a young PG they like in Murray and suitable stand in's they needed a star wing and got one.

Kyrie had Spurs on his preferred destinations list. They had every reason to believe he would stay long term.

No they had Kawhi Leonard on the team when Irving asked to be traded there not for Kawhi Leonard. Either way SA didn't want to trade Leonard for Irving or Ainge would have done that because he could dealt for Davis at the deadline.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#91 » by djFan71 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:22 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I want the Celtics to Blake Griffin the **** out of Kyrie so bad lol. Sign him to his 5-year max then trade him prior to the trade deadline. (if no AD)

That would be great. Except he was the one saying his number should be retired in the rafters, not us like they did to Blake. :D
Zeroforwinger
Junior
And1: 414

Post#92 » by Zeroforwinger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 pm

amory87 wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:I still feel terrible for KD and the achilles injury. One of the best players of the past decade potentially missing a full year and having to rehab from an achilles just completely sucks for the league and of course for him and his family.

I'm sure someone would give it to him but if I'm the Celtics I'm not offering Kyrie a 1+1. Screw that. He's not close to the level of a LeBron or a KD where he should be allowed to create a distraction every year about where he's going in free agency, especially when we saw this past year how great he's been with the media when asked questions on that subject.

I’d give it to him, then trade his ass in December. Also don’t pursue AD in that scenario.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#93 » by ermocrate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 am

KGboss wrote:I think the celtics and kyrie are fine. I dont think Danny holds any ill will toward this kid and I wouldn't let Boston media and stupid fans dictate team opinion

I agree but I don't know if KI is down to that, he will renounce 100 millions so he have to be very disgruntled to leave... The first mistake was done from Kyrie tho, so he may have to reflect on that, you can't speak as a "leader" is nobody knows if you are staying... Anyway most of team lost my respect beside AL and Marcus Smart. I think this thing is cultural and regards any part of society.
"Negativity in this town sucks"
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#94 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

According to Woj "opting in is the last resort" for KD:

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#95 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Good for KD. I think he's done enough for the Warriors to demand a full-max esp. after playing through injury. If Dubs won't give him that, it only takes one team to take a gamble on him.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#96 » by Leprechaun18 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:54 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:I want the Celtics to Blake Griffin the **** out of Kyrie so bad lol. Sign him to his 5-year max then trade him prior to the trade deadline. (if no AD)

I like that idea, but dont think KI will fall for it.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#97 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:44 pm

My guess is that Irving she KD both sign with Brooklyn. Irving will gladly wait until the playoffs to play with KD.
*Insert witty signature here.*
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#98 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Really didn't need to announce it. Just needed the deadline to pass.
And also, it was a foregone conclusion that he would opt out since it's in his best interest whether he stays or not.
amory87
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,434

Post#99 » by amory87 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

KGboss wrote:I think the celtics and kyrie are fine. I dont think Danny holds any I'll will toward this kid and I wouldn't let Boston media and stupid fans dictate team opinion

I'd be surprised if they're "fine".

There's been a lot of hyperbole around Kyrie this year in the media and between fans, most of it bad. But he's earned that. In one meaningless midseason interview that took all of about 3 minutes, he randomly decided to open his recruitment window and pull the rug out from under Danny's long, meticulous rebuild. Apparently because he wasn't having immediate success as the great leader he built himself up to be in his own mind. Because what matters to Kyrie is Kyrie.

If I was Ainge, I would've been absolutely livid and I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten over it based on how Kyrie's acted and played since then. If anything I'd be more pissed.

Danny's smart though, and I'm sure he's been at least outwardly supportive of Kyrie despite all this crap he put the team through. I had to laugh the other day when I saw Stephen A criticizing Ainge for taking too long after the end of the season to say it wasn't all Kyrie's fault. Frankly it probably took him a while to compose himself enough to say it at all. Last season was primarily Kyrie's fault. And that's the kind of blame you're going to reasonably get when you're the best player on a team, and that team sucks.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#100 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Kyrie is the grass is always greener green.

Return to Boston Celtics