ImageImageImage

Durant

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,019

Durant 

Post#1 » by exculpatory » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:50 pm

It was his Achilles the entire time just as I posted the millisecond it happened.
(Parl, cannot find the thread.)

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254150/Warriors-Believe-Kevin-Durants-MRI-Will-Confirm-Torn-Achilles

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254152/Kevin-Durant-Had-Discomfort-Pushing-Off-Right-Foot-Throughout-Rehab

IF SO, it is beyond my comprehension (even as an endocrinologist with minimal orthopedic insight) that they would not have performed a MRI immediately - in any athlete - in particular a Top 3 NBA player.

If they didn’t do the MR initially, maybe it was because they did not want to find what they knew might be there - and stuck with the calf strain cause it did not automatically rule him out for the duration of the playoffs.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
exculpatory
RealGM

Re: Durant 

Post#2 » by exculpatory » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 am

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/913336_2

Beware fluoroquinolones like Levaquin & Cipro.
Among other things, they predispose patients to Achilles rupture.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#3 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:03 am

exculpatory wrote:It was his Achilles the entire time just as I posted the millisecond it happened.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254150/Warriors-Believe-Kevin-Durants-MRI-Will-Confirm-Torn-Achilles

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254152/Kevin-Durant-Had-Discomfort-Pushing-Off-Right-Foot-Throughout-Rehab

IF SO, it is beyond my comprehension (even as an endocrinologist with minimal orthopedic insight) that they would not have performed a MRI immediately - in any athlete - in particular a Top 3 NBA player.

If they didn’t do the MR initially, maybe it was because they did not want to find what they knew might be there - and stuck with the calf strain cause it did not automatically rule him out for the duration of the playoffs.

What’s your estimated recovery time 8-12 months?
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,069

Post#4 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 am

I'm sure I read/heard that they did multiple MRI's immediately following the initial injury and possibly during his recovery.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,069

Post#5 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 am

Also, if they are needing an MRI doesn't that imply it might not be a full rupture? I thought if you had a full rupture is was pretty obvious due to the physical changes to the calf muscle/leg/foot?
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#6 » by exculpatory » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:It was his Achilles the entire time just as I posted the millisecond it happened.

What’s your estimated recovery time 8-12 months?

Not my deal.
That’s what I have heard.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#7 » by FutureIsGreen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:43 am

I was looking for that, to show my wife. I told her that night you said this, and as it all went down, it's all I could think. He knew this would happen. Kudos to you, you sounded pretty adamant so I heard you loud and clear.
islandkid12
Senior
And1: 651

Post#8 » by islandkid12 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 am

what do you guys think the injury means for Kyrie and Boston? I know it's a messed up situation but do you think teams will be hesitant to offer him the max? or superstars teaming up with him?
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#9 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:04 am

I find it hard to imagine that they didn't perform an MRI on his injury 6 weeks ago, when he first injured it. Just almost unimaginable that they would not have done that, so I'm guessing they did.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#10 » by exculpatory » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:17 am

FutureIsGreen wrote:

I was looking for that, to show my wife. I told her that night you said this, and as it all went down, it's all I could think. He knew this would happen. Kudos to you, you sounded pretty adamant so I heard you loud and clear.

TY
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,904

Post#11 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:26 am

Doris Burke just said that he might be OUT all of next Season.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#12 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:30 am

Parliament10 wrote:Doris Burke just said that he might be OUT all of next Season.

Woj reported it the other day too
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,904

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:35 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Doris Burke just said that he might be OUT all of next Season.

That was a Terrible decision to play.
I said in another Thread, that NBA players have a limited playing time.

He risked a whole year, for one day.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#14 » by djFan71 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 am

Parliament10 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

That was a Terrible decision to play.
I said in another Thread, that NBA players have a limited playing time.

He risked a whole year, for one day.

For a title, though. You can waste many, many years without that shot again. In fact, (esp now that he's hurt), I wouldn't be shocked if he never makes it to the finals again.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#15 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 am

Durant will miss all of next season.

Klay will be coming back from tearing his ACL.

Warriors are possibly not going to be a factor to winning a championship next season.

Time for Ainge to go all in on AD. The door is wide open for at least one season. Rockets are probably the favorites if Klay goes slow in his recovery (or is significantly hampered come playoff time).

Then what.

Rockets
Nuggets
76ers
Raptors
Bucks

Those are the big threats? I'm okay with that. Go all in Danny, next year is anyone's year.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,973

Post#16 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice call on that one Ex. I wonder if this outcome was inevitable based on the initial injury. Reminds me of Shaq back in 2013.

It’s amazing how great the players have it in the NBA. To think that both Durrant and Clay will get max contracts for five years even though everyone knows they’re going to miss next year entirely. And if Golden State doesn’t do it teams from the league would lineup to do it as well.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#17 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Hard to know the truth on this one. KD by all accounts had his own outside medical experts/2nd opinion that at least concurred with Golden States experts. Those experts may have felt a little pressured, however. If Jay Williams and Steve Kerr are correct that he was told that he was only risking re-injury to his calf that means KD'd own outside medical experts missed it as well. Williams is friends with KD so either KD was kind of keeping him in the dark or Williams is kind of a part of a coverup that Steve Kerr may or may not have known about.

Many have said weakened calf make achilles injury less likely but some have speculated otherwise in certain situations. It could have been both with achilles missed.

From the looks of it, KD was putting heat on his calf and achilles.

I do think "can't push off" can easily just be calf strain since from my perspective that has been my calf injuries...you can't push off. You have some pain pushing off as you try to do more until it is completely healed. That is what I have experienced.

Next time he does an interview, someone should ask KD if he knew he had an achilles or calf injury, both. If he says just calf, someone should follow up and say why was he heating his achilles as well. It may just be how the device he was using was made.

This notion that KD was protecting his FA by lying about the injury would have more validity if he was a lesser player. But I think most people thought he was worth the max even with that injury but maybe he was concerned. But teams would want to look at the MRI/medicals before signing him to a max so kind of hard to hide that if some achilles injury showed up on MRI.

Return to Boston Celtics