ImageImageImage

AD's Gone Thread #9, And Everything's Still Fine Like Rondo Dropping a Dime.

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Re: AD Trade Thread #9 Everything's Fine Like Rondo Dropping a Dime. 

Post#61 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 am

Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Afam wrote:I am not even a cap expert or interested in it, but even i know that if kyrie leaves they wouldn't have the cap space to acquire a star player. They would have to let go off Kyrie, Al Horford and Gordon Hayward to create enough space for a max player Might even include picks attached to entice other teams because of their large contracts.

It always also going to take Jayson Tatum. Always. The pelicans couldn't careless if Anthony Davis re-signs in boston or not. It is not their problem. That is not their job, to worry about They thinking is do you want the player, or not. Either put in Jayson Tatum or stop talking to us.

Jaylen Brown is a good player, but he is not worth Anthony Davis even as a rental. Imagine telling/showing your fan base all you got for Anthony Davis is Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and picks. I don't even think the memphis pick is on the table.Maybe it is maybe it isn't but that is not enough.

Basketball wise having jaylen brown on the pelicans doesn't make sense. He is not a good fit with Zion. He needs players that can space the floor, shooters like Jayson Tatum.

We'd need to renounce Morris, Rozier and Horford would need to take like 14-15 mils for us to have money I think and I'm not even sure that we'd have max money then. Hayward makes over 30 mils, Jaylen over 9, Tatum around 8, you can do the math(then you got Smart at 13)... If Irving leaves tho and we renounce Terry, Horfie resigns for say 17 mils and we let M Morris go, we'd have the non tax payer MLE(~10 mils) which could land us a solid bench role player.

Al is set to earn 30M next year, i think he opts in. If he opts out and negotiate a new deal, offering him a 3 year 15-17M per would be fair.

Reports are he's expected to opt out, which makes sense cause he can secure around 60 mils in the next 3 years instead of 30 for 1. He's getting up there in age and that's a lots of money. :D
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#62 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
We'd need to renounce Morris, Rozier and Horford would need to take like 14-15 mils for us to have money I think and I'm not even sure that we'd have max money then. Hayward makes over 30 mils, Jaylen over 9, Tatum around 8, you can do the math(then you got Smart at 13)... If Irving leaves tho and we renounce Terry, Horfie resigns for say 17 mils and we let M Morris go, we'd have the non tax payer MLE(~10 mils) which could land us a solid bench role player.

Al is set to earn 30M next year, i think he opts in. If he opts out and negotiate a new deal, offering him a 3 year 15-17M per would be fair.

Reports are he's expected to opt out, which makes sense cause he can secure around 60 mils in the next 3 years instead of 30 for 1. He's getting up there in age and that's a lots of money. :D

Seems logical for him to do.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,843

Post#63 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:59 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Without the aid of sign-and-trade, which is technically possible but highly improbable, we wouldn't have enough salaries to match. If Pelicans plan on holding on to Davis until trade deadline, then sure -- Celtics can sign FAs to contracts that can be used as trade ballast in December or January.

Otherwise, I don't see how. Someone more versed with the CBA might find a loophole. Zarren, you up?

There's another way but it's even more highly-improbable and ridiculous that I wouldn't even dare discuss it.

Bottom line, it's almost a certainty that the names you excluded would be needed to make a trade possible.

Smart might have always been part of the trade. Otherwise, Cs would have used the MLE during the season to add salary ballast for AD.

Would this all be assuming the trade is done prior to June 30? If Irving is off the books and Horford opts out, would that free up enough space to facilitate the trade?

According to Smitty, we can't officially execute the trade until July 1 but we can agree to terms.

What scenario are you talking about? Which pieces would you like going out?

Tatum, Smart, Yabusele, #14, #22 for AD can be agreed upon now, can even be announced now, but not made official until July 1.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#64 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:03 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:There's another way but it's even more highly-improbable and ridiculous that I wouldn't even dare discuss it.

Bottom line, it's almost a certainty that the names you excluded would be needed to make a trade possible.

Smart might have always been part of the trade. Otherwise, Cs would have used the MLE during the season to add salary ballast for AD.

Would this all be assuming the trade is done prior to June 30? If Irving is off the books and Horford opts out, would that free up enough space to facilitate the trade?

According to Smitty, we can't officially execute the trade until July 1 but we can agree to terms.

Tatum, Smart, Yabusele, #14, #22 for AD can be agreed upon now, can even be announced now, but not made official until July 1.

He's saying us not trading Smart, say we trade only Tatum/Williams/#14/future C's pick/#22... If Kyrie leaves(and Horfie opts out) it's probably possible to absorb over 10 mils and not send Smart.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#65 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:13 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

He's saying us not trading Smart, say we trade only Tatum/Williams/#14/future C's pick/#22... If Kyrie leaves(and Horfie opts out) it's probably possibly to absorb over 10 mils and not send Smart.

Oh... I get what you're saying now haha.

We'd have to renounce Kyrie or he signs somewhere else. Not sure what Horford's cap hold would be if he opts out. But yeah, we might have enough space to absorb portion of AD's salary that we don't have to send Smart out. Not having done the math, we might also need to renounce Rozier and/or Morris.

Where's Smitty when you need him?
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#66 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:According to Smitty, we can't officially execute the trade until July 1 but we can agree to terms.

He's saying us not trading Smart, say we trade only Tatum/Williams/#14/future C's pick/#22... If Kyrie leaves(and Horfie opts out) it's probably possibly to absorb over 10 mils and not send Smart.

We'd have to renounce Kyrie or he signs somewhere else. Not sure what Horford's cap hold would be if he opts out. But yeah, we might have enough space to absorb portion of AD's salary that we don't have to send Smart out. Not having done the math, we might also need to renounce Rozier and/or Morris.

Yea we might need to renounce one of Terry or Morris. I think that would probably give us enough with Irving walking to absorb over 10 mils.
Good assessment:

Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#67 » by Afam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:26 am

I don't think celtics are in the conversation when it comes to Anthony Davis without including Jayson Tatum. They are on the outside looking in.

It starts, and ends with Tatum. I understand you don't put your best offer on the table right away during negotiations for many reasons. It can make you look desperate, used against you, etc. That is understandable, but at some point, you have to put in your best offer.

Nice try on trying to get Anthony Davis for Jaylen Brown, but that is not going to work Danny Ainge. Either include Jayson Tatum or walk away. It is not the pelicans job to worry about can you re-sign kyrie or not, can you re-sign Anthony Davis or not. It is your job to do that.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#68 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:53 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Yea we might need to renounce one of Terry or Morris. I think that would probably give us enough with Irving walking to absorb over 10 mils.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Irving and Horford adds up to $50 odd million so the hope is that would be enough to keep Brown and Smart out of the deal if possible.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#69 » by Afam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:06 am

Fair offer

Jayson Tatum, Smart, Kings pick. No Memphis pick. Add Fillers.

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and the picks. Including the Memphis pick. No Jayson Tatum. Choose one pelicans. That should be the offer.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,408

Post#70 » by Mr Loggins » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 am

The Corey's wrote:Trade the Memphis pick for towns and let's all move on.

it would take an AD sized offer to get towns from MN
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#71 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:20 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Oh... I get what you're saying now haha.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Irving and Horford adds up to $50 odd million so the hope is that would be enough to keep Brown and Smart out of the deal if possible.

Not how it works. Horford has a cap hold of $38M if he simply opts out. If we renounce him so his cap hold goes away, we'd need cap space to sign him back 'cos we no longer have the rights to him. The same would be true for Morris and Rozier. Or are you envisioning a roster without Horford at all?

USING CAP SPACE TO ABSORB PORTION OF DAVIS'S SALARY:
*No salary matching required.
(Someone else can verify if this makes sense)

1. Rozier, Theis, Morris, Wanamaker, and Gibson are renounced.
2. Kyrie signs elsewhere or is renounced.
3. All 1st round picks are traded away as part of package to Pelicans or to a third team.
4. Horford signs to a much smaller number than his opt-in salary of $30M. Essentially what cap space remains post-AD trade.

Outgoing in trade: Tatum, Williams, Yabusele, Ojeleye, #14, #20, #22

If my CBA math is correct, it would look something like this (salary cap at $109M):
■ Hayward - 32700690
■ Davis - 27093018
■ Horford (re-signed) - 19281664
■ Smart - 12553571
■ Brown - 6534829
■ Baynes (opted-in) - 5453280
■ Roster Hold - 897158
■ Roster Hold - 897158
■ Roster Hold - 897158
■ Roster Hold - 897158
■ Roster Hold - 897158
■ Roster Hold - 897158

Smart / Brown / Hayward / Horford / AD
Room exception / vet min / vet min / vet min / Baynes
#51 / vet min / vet min
2 Two-ways

That's such a small number for Horford, I'm not sure he agrees to it. But if it means we can keep Smart AND Brown, maybe he does. Tatum will be a stud in NOLA alongside Zion. Robert Williams would be closer to home. Yabusele will love the French influence in culture/cuisine.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#72 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:21 am

Mr Loggins wrote:

True, Towns is 24. Very lazy on defense, but he's really skilled and very young. If Horford can teach him defense, he can basically be a Horfie on steroids. Does everything well on offense. Rebounds well.
Good assessment:

FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#73 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:25 am

Afam wrote:Fair offer

JaysonTatum, Smart, Kings pick. No Memphis pick. Add Fillers.

Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and the picks. Including the Memphis pick. No Jayson Tatum. Choose on pelicans. That should be the offer.

True, Lakers offer is imo trash. I think the Pels have wanted Tatum all along. They are probably trying to milk other assets as well. Outside of that Kings pick.
Good assessment:

Triple7
RealGM

Post#74 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:35 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

True, Towns is 24. Very lazy on defense, but he's really skilled and very young. If Horford can teach him defense, he can basically be a Horfie on steroids. Does everything well on offense. Rebounds well.

He can learn to defend. Its not like he’s not capable. He’s my player on fantasy, and he has games with 4 or more blocks, just not consistent. Offensively, he can compete with the best.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#75 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 am

Towns is not on the trade block. Wolves would be foolish to trade him when he's not even asking out. And even if he is, he only becomes a UFA in 2023. They should trade Wiggins instead. He's proving himself a very expensive version of Jeff Green.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#76 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 am

Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

He can learn to defend. Its not like he’s not capable. He’s my player on fantasy, and he has games with 4 or more blocks, just not consistent. Offensively, he can compete with the best.

True, if he's slightly above average on defense, he's in the convo for a top 5 player, btw. He's averages are somewhat close to Davis and he's 2 years younger(obviously not as long or as good of an athlete, but Towns is a dog on offense, he's really really good)..
Good assessment:

Triple7
RealGM

Post#77 » by Triple7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

True, if he's slightly above average on defense, he's in the convo for a top 5 player, btw. He's averages are somewhat close to Davis and he's 2 years younger(obviously not as long or as good of an athlete, but Towns is a dog on offense, he's really really good)..

I agree. He’s also an ironman, rarely takes games off.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,798

Post#78 » by pac213up » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 am

Afam wrote:I don't think celtics are in the conversation when it comes to Anthony Davis without including Jayson Tatum. They are on the outside looking in.

It starts, and ends with Tatum. I understand you don't put your best offer on the table right away during negotiations for many reasons. It can make you look desperate, used against you, etc. That is understandable, but at some point, you have to put in your best offer.

Nice try on trying to get Anthony Davis for Jaylen Brown, but that is not going to work Danny Ainge. Either include Jayson Tatum or walk away. It is not the pelicans job to worry about can you re-sign kyrie or not, can you re-sign Anthony Davis or not. It is your job to do that.

No reason for him to walk away. It is in his interest to drive the price up as high as possible if he is not going to meet the demands of the Pels. Pels could be asking for Brown and Tatum.....Ainge is not doing that. Gut the team for Davis leaves you in the same spot as if you did not trade for Davis. Need a trade that leaves a path forward for a title.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#79 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:20 am

Mr Loggins wrote:

Bigger. Dudes locked up for the next 5 years and happy. Zero chance they move him anytime soon.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#80 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:21 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Towns is not on the trade block. Wolves would be foolish to trade him when he's not even asking out. And even if he is, he only becomes a UFA in 2023. They should trade Wiggins instead. He's proving himself a very expensive version of Jeff Green.

Yup— theyre not trading Towns. Lets move away from that fantasy and get back into reality.

Return to Boston Celtics