ImageImageImage

Terry Rozier restricted free agency?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Terry Rozier restricted free agency? 

Post#1 » by klemen4 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:39 pm

- With AD traded to Lakers,
- Irwing not resigning,
- after Horford decision on 18.6,
- and draft on 20.6.

The next question will be what happens with Terry Rozier restricted free agency???

- It sure looks Danny wants to resign him
- we offered him 12 mil per year before season started, he declined
- Rozier though he can get around 20 mill in restricted FA

Now a few month later, with season not going good for Rozier, what will happen?

Potential FA offers, who needs PG?

East:
IND - do not think its a good fit with Dipo
ORL
CHA - if Walker goes
CHI
NY - will probably give a chance to Smith

West:
UTA - doubt they like him
LAL - will go for veterans imo
DAL - do not think he is a good fit with Doncic
PHO

It comes down to ORL, CHI and PHO imo. At least one of Pho/Chi will get a pg in draft imo so 2 teams will be left...Does not look to promising for Rozier, high chance it could be Smart situation form last season, that in the end he excepts a few months ago offered 12 milion offer?
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Re: Terry Rozier restricted free agency? 

Post#2 » by chrisab123 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm

I'd let him walk if he signed a deal averaging 4 million a year. Screw him. He's only going to cause more problems.

He belongs in a dumpster fire like Chicago or Orlando as a maxed out RFA headcase. Maybe get assets out of a sign and trade for him. Phoenix would be a good fit too. But there's much better options out there. Maybe not stat wise but players who won't rip apart a locker room.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,641

Post#3 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Ainge will give him 50M/4 years max. Wish someone offered him more so we can move on from him though.
But since he's likely back, hoping for the best here.

Play him as an off-guard, Brad! Let Smart, Hayward, Horford, and Tatum handle the ball.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,871

Post#4 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Rozier will be back. Probably much cheaper than what he would like for his contract.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,263

Post#5 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:50 pm

I forgot he was offered 12/per. Yeah I would be surprised if he gets that from another team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he Cs make him the same offer though.

Personally I don’t mind bringing him back on a fair deal and seeing what he can do. He was really good last year when getting 30 minutes a game and more than serviceable when more than 20. Those games less than 20 min he was horrible.

I also have no problem moving on.
Sign here
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,904

Post#6 » by SuperDeluxe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:51 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Ainge will give him 50M/4 years max. Wish someone offered him more so we can move on from him though.

Play him as an off-guard, Brad! Let Smart, Hayward, Horford, and Tatum handle the ball.

First paragraph I agree 100% with. The second paragraph I'd replace with "Trade his ass as soon as any team calls."
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#7 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Market won't be kind, he's going no where.

He'll dramatically beat out his contract though value wise so that's good for the Celtics.

No Irving, no problem for Rozier.

People like to blame him for Irving ruining this team, this franchise, and in general being the biggest mistake since the Walker trade for Ainge's career.

But even last year with 14 games as a starter for this team Rozier put up: 13 ppg 5rpg 5aspg 2 steals 1turnover 43%fg 40%3 89%FT

He isn't an all-star but that's starter level production. Extremely unselfish and a good playmaker in Steven's system. He'd need a great player to play next to though in order for them to create their own shot in crunch time and it wouldn't hurt for him to have them actually get him open 3s.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#8 » by JR Hawks » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:14 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Ainge will give him 50M/4 years max. Wish someone offered him more so we can move on from him though.

That's the funny thing about Rozier. He's a terrible PG and undersized and inefficient for a SG. The only logical conclusion is that he sucks at the game of basketball...and we're talking about extending him.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,319

Post#9 » by Infinite Llamas » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Of course the C's resign him. Y'all really think Ainge is willing to lose two assets for nothing?

Rozier as a starter is a very solid player. If you get 15/5/5 with low turnovers and 35% 3pt shooting, that's a good deal at 12 million.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,171

Post#10 » by strokerace » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Market won't be kind, he's going no where.

He'll dramatically beat out his contract though value wise so that's good for the Celtics.

People like to blame him for Irving ruining this team, this franchise, and in general being the biggest mistake since the Walker trade for Ainge's career.

But even last year with 14 games as a starter for this team Rozier put up: 13 ppg 5rpg 5aspg 2 steals 1turnover 43%fg 40%3 89%FT

He isn't an all-star but that's starter level production. Extremely unselfish and a good playmaker in Steven's system. He'd need a great player to play next to though in order for them to create their own shot in crunch time and it wouldn't hurt for him to have them actually get him open 3s.

Did you watch him play last year? He stunk as a playmaker. He had a good run for a few months 2 seasons ago going into the playoffs and obviously during the playoffs but beyond that he stinks. Any more than 5m a year on a short deal with a team option, I say let him go.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#11 » by SichtingLives » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:42 pm

Rozier was so freaking bad for all of last season it is very hard to gauge what he really is anymore. His ego got enormous and my own personal opinion is he got a little chubby and it affected his explosiveness. Can you put the cat back in the bag with this guy? Guess we have little choice but to find out.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#12 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm

strokerace wrote:

Did you watch him play last year? He stunk as a playmaker. He had a good run for a few months 2 seasons ago going into the playoffs and obviously during the playoffs but beyond that he stinks. Any more than 5m a year on a short deal with a team option, I say let him go.

I did watch him. Last year and the year before. Did you see that 5:1 ass/to ratio last year as a starter? Or were your eyes deceiving you?

Look he's not an all-star. And the type of player he is, is most certainly not a Rondo.

He can play in Stevens system very well. Him, like all of the players left on our roster are nothing but role players.

They have no value if they're not playing with an MVP level player who can playmake for them. And outside of the context of playing with an MVP none of them honestly will be worth the money after their rookie contracts.

But in his role, in Steven's system, Terry does fantastic. He moves the ball and is unselfish. But he like Brown, like Tatum, like Smart, like Morris, like Theis, like Baynes, like Irving, like Horford can't honestly make plays for other players. It's one of his weaknesses. He can execute Steven's motion offense though and get system assists I guess we should call them (the open shots are a product of the motion offense as opposed to the players making the play for one another ala you would see say a Rubio do for his team mates)
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#13 » by sully00 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:50 pm

strokerace wrote:

Did you? Rozier was the same player he was the year before. Shot 3% worse on his 3's for the year. If you play him starter mins he will give 15/5/5 maybe a little more. He is not a great bench player and he didn't flourish in the role. Not asking him to do that again last year he was solid in his starts so it is worth a reasonable investment.

Need to separate Kyrie being a pud from the situation with Rozier. Rozier didn't cause Kyrie to be a pud he is a pud true colors and all of that.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#14 » by robdog_5 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm

I was really disapointed in his defense last year. He just kept getting attacked in the playoffs.

nobody seems to agree with me but I much rather have Darren Collison. He is a good defender, has shot over 40% from 3 the last 3 or 4 seasons and is a team player. I feel like he would be a great fit with our squad.

This would be more of a everybody is healthy min breakdown in playoffs bench could be shortened.
PG Collison 28 min/Napier 15 min/Edwards 5 min
SG Brown 20 min/Smart 28 min
SF Tatum 33 min/Brown 12 min/Hayward 3 min
PF Hayward 30 min/Ojeyle 8 min/Horford 10 min
C Horford 20 min/Baynes 15 min/Williams 13 min
other bench players would include wing with #14, Yas, Theis, Vet min wing or 2nd round draft pick

so we lose Rozier, Kyrie and Morris all 3 issues in some way and bring in Collison, Napier and draft picks.

I would consider that a top 4 in East team. If Kawhi leaves Toronto we could be competing with Nets, Pacers for the best 2nd tier team. Sixers who aren't very deep as it is also maybe be weakened by FA. Butler, Harris and Reddick all may leave.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#15 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 pm

The thing is, because of his RFA status, Danny doesn't have to decide what to do for well into FA--even if some team makes him a juicy offer right off the top. Danny can see how the other options plus the pricing for TRo develop.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#16 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:52 pm

The biggest problem with TRo is that he thinks he's a starter, which he is, but on a bad team.

We've got Smart and Brown in our backcourt, both of whom are better than TRo. So he's not going to start. But he might play big minutes, if he goes back to attacking and D-ing up like he did the year before.

I'd say let him explore being a RFA, and see if comes back. If not it's not a huge loss. If he does maybe he will be a bit more humble.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#17 » by Kalela » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:57 pm

Hopefully some team offers him a lot of money and the Celtics don't match. I am convinced even someone like PJ Dozier can come into the team and do a better job with the minutes he gets for a lot less.
Fire Mazzulla
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#18 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:09 pm

JR Hawks wrote:

That's the funny thing about Rozier. He's a terrible PG and undersized and inefficient for a SG. The only logical conclusion is that he sucks at the game of basketball...and we're talking about extending him.

This actually made me laugh out loud.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#19 » by ThirtyFour » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 pm

My biggest issue with keeping Rozier given the current situation is him starting with Hayward. Clearly Rozier had a huge issue with how that shook out last season, and I thought it was obvious on court with Rozier not looking for Hayward. I don’t see that magically fixing itself just because Rozier gets to start again, but maybe I’m wrong?

And unless Hayward makes zero progress this offseason, I can’t imagine him wanting to play off the bench again, and if that’s the case and Hayward really is toast, well the phrase ‘insult to injury’ has maybe never ever made more sense on so many levels.
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#20 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:16 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
strokerace wrote:

I did watch him. Last year and the year before. Did you see that 5:1 ass/to ratio last year as a starter? Or were your eyes deceiving you?

Look he's not an all-star. And the type of player he is, is most certainly not a Rondo.

He can play in Stevens system very well. Him, like all of the players left on our roster are nothing but role players.

They have no value if they're not playing with an MVP level player who can playmake for them. And outside of the context of playing with an MVP none of them honestly will be worth the money after their rookie contracts.

But in his role, in Steven's system, Terry does fantastic. He moves the ball and is unselfish. But he like Brown, like Tatum, like Smart, like Morris, like Theis, like Baynes, like Irving, like Horford can't honestly make plays for other players. It's one of his weaknesses. He can execute Steven's motion offense though and get system assists I guess we should call them (the open shots are a product of the motion offense as opposed to the players making the play for one another ala you would see say a Rubio do for his team mates)

If you're one of those people who are excited about Tatum now finally getting his shot to be the guy and are predicting All-Star teams and all that, there's no way you should want Terry Rozier anywhere near this team. You can pretty much book that Terry is gonna take shots away from Tatum. I think Terry strangely as it were does look for Jaylen. Maybe that's because they came off the bench together. Even Hayward might even fit next to Terry but Tatum is not going to fit. So long as Terry is here, Tatum will disappear again like last year. Whether he has the talent for it or not, Terry thinks he's a killer and Tatum just doesn't think that way. If they play together, Tatum's gonna park himself in the corner again and wait for a kickout.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics