ImageImageImage

Terry Rozier restricted free agency?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Re: Terry Rozier restricted free agency? 

Post#21 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:17 pm

ThirtyFour wrote:My biggest issue with keeping Rozier given the current situation is him starting with Hayward. Clearly Rozier had a huge issue with how that shook out last season, and I thought it was obvious on court with Rozier not looking for Hayward. I don’t see that magically fixing itself just because Rozier gets to start again, but maybe I’m wrong?

And unless Hayward makes zero progress this offseason, I can’t imagine him wanting to play off the bench again, and if that’s the case and Hayward really is toast, well the phrase ‘insult to injury’ has maybe never ever made more sense on so many levels.

Yep. Seems he'll have an issue with the offense running through Hayward. Hopefully they can find a sign and trade for him.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#22 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
strokerace wrote:Did you watch him play last year? He stunk as a playmaker. He had a good run for a few months 2 seasons ago going into the playoffs and obviously during the playoffs but beyond that he stinks. Any more than 5m a year on a short deal with a team option, I say let him go.

I did watch him. Last year and the year before. Did you see that 5:1 ass/to ratio last year as a starter? Or were your eyes deceiving you?

Look he's not an all-star. And the type of player he is, is most certainly not a Rondo.

He can play in Stevens system very well. Him, like all of the players left on our roster are nothing but role players.

They have no value if they're not playing with an MVP level player who can playmake for them. And outside of the context of playing with an MVP none of them honestly will be worth the money after their rookie contracts.

But in his role, in Steven's system, Terry does fantastic. He moves the ball and is unselfish. But he like Brown, like Tatum, like Smart, like Morris, like Theis, like Baynes, like Irving, like Horford can't honestly make plays for other players. It's one of his weaknesses. He can execute Steven's motion offense though and get system assists I guess we should call them (the open shots are a product of the motion offense as opposed to the players making the play for one another ala you would see say a Rubio do for his team mates)

If you're one of those people who are excited about Tatum now finally getting his shot to be the guy and are predicting All-Star teams and all that, there's no way you should want Terry Rozier anywhere near this team. You can pretty much book that Terry is gonna take shots away from Tatum. I think Terry strangely as it were does look for Jaylen. Maybe that's because they came off the bench together. Even Hayward might even fit next to Terry but Tatum is not going to fit. So long as Terry is here, Tatum will disappear again like last year. Whether he has the talent for it or not, Terry thinks he's a killer and Tatum just doesn't think that way. If they play together, Tatum's gonna park himself in the corner again and wait for a kickout.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of why Tatum sucked last year.

Tatum sucked because the team turned into an ISO team and refused to play Steven's sytem.

There wasn't a lack of shots for Tatum to take. Tatum took 13 shots per game last year on a roster with a black hole in Irving. That shot total is about to shoot up.

We probably won't even have Irving or Horford. There's 0 concerns about shot totals. And looking at Rozier's playing style and the stats that literatlly back it up, he passes and moves the ball at will on offense when he has a stable role with actual minutes. He's never once been a ball hog on offense in the scenerio he'd be playing next year.

Now will Tatum shoot those shots at a good percentage? That's 100% on Tatum if he goes back to moving the ball when it's in his hands like he did playing next to Rozier all in the playoffs. Or if he stays in his current Melo role mindset and jacks off to Kobe Bryant mix tapes between games.

But shot availability will not be a concern on this team post Irving. There will be more than enough shots to go around, this won't be some loaded team.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#23 » by captain green » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Tough one. A couple things stick out to me
1. Never avg more than 3 assist per game.
2. Only avg 1 turnover per game once I believe that's his highest.
3. He didn't take the 12 mil
4. He definitely bit the hand that fed him.
5. He is a gangster.
Summary: might be forced to sign him but if it's a decent sized deal and he plays decently could be a traded contract. I'd say with the love that danny shows about a 70% chance he is still on the squad next year.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#24 » by Upperclass » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:19 pm

Resign him as the starting point. Reap the benefits
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#25 » by Kefa461 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:37 pm

let him go
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#26 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
I did watch him. Last year and the year before. Did you see that 5:1 ass/to ratio last year as a starter? Or were your eyes deceiving you?

Look he's not an all-star. And the type of player he is, is most certainly not a Rondo.

He can play in Stevens system very well. Him, like all of the players left on our roster are nothing but role players.

They have no value if they're not playing with an MVP level player who can playmake for them. And outside of the context of playing with an MVP none of them honestly will be worth the money after their rookie contracts.

But in his role, in Steven's system, Terry does fantastic. He moves the ball and is unselfish. But he like Brown, like Tatum, like Smart, like Morris, like Theis, like Baynes, like Irving, like Horford can't honestly make plays for other players. It's one of his weaknesses. He can execute Steven's motion offense though and get system assists I guess we should call them (the open shots are a product of the motion offense as opposed to the players making the play for one another ala you would see say a Rubio do for his team mates)

If you're one of those people who are excited about Tatum now finally getting his shot to be the guy and are predicting All-Star teams and all that, there's no way you should want Terry Rozier anywhere near this team. You can pretty much book that Terry is gonna take shots away from Tatum. I think Terry strangely as it were does look for Jaylen. Maybe that's because they came off the bench together. Even Hayward might even fit next to Terry but Tatum is not going to fit. So long as Terry is here, Tatum will disappear again like last year. Whether he has the talent for it or not, Terry thinks he's a killer and Tatum just doesn't think that way. If they play together, Tatum's gonna park himself in the corner again and wait for a kickout.

Tatum sucked because the team turned into an ISO team and refused to play Steven's sytem.

There wasn't a lack of shots for Tatum to take. Tatum took 13 shots per game last year on a roster with a black hole in Irving. That shot total is about to shoot up.

We probably won't even have Irving or Horford. There's 0 concerns about shot totals. And looking at Rozier's playing style and the stats that literatlly back it up, he passes and moves the ball at will on offense when he has a stable role with actual minutes. He's never once been a ball hog on offense in the scenerio he'd be playing next year.

Now will Tatum shoot those shots at a good percentage? That's 100% on Tatum if he goes back to moving the ball when it's in his hands like he did playing next to Rozier all in the playoffs. Or if he stays in his current Melo role mindset and jacks off to Kobe Bryant mix tapes between games.

But shot availability will not be a concern on this team post Irving. There will be more than enough shots to go around, this won't be some loaded team.

I don't misunderstand why Tatum sucked. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. My commentary was independent of Tatum's problems. This assessment was ancillary. I believe Tatum will get more shots with Smart or let's say, Rubio running the point. That's not to say Tatum won't get shots at all with Rozier. He will just get more with the other guys.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,979

Post#27 » by fallguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:49 am

He's junk but at the right price he can be moved for value. Holding onto the asset is not terrible.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#28 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I don't misunderstand why Tatum sucked. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. My commentary was independent of Tatum's problems. This assessment was ancillary. I believe Tatum will get more shots with Smart or let's say, Rubio running the point. That's not to say Tatum won't get shots at all with Rozier. He will just get more with the other guys.

I agree with Rubio.

I think Smart and Rozier suck as PGs and both are off ball guards of different varieties.

I actually have a lot of fear with all the vets leaving and no chance of winning we're going to get bad Smart again and he'll lead the team in FGAs. Becuase he'll run point and he says he's the leader now.

We have had one good season of Smart holding back mentally, but he's a chucker waiting to tank his value. I'm really concerned about it.

Then again I also think we should trade away both Smart and Rozier and tank to start rebuilding around Brown + Tatum. See if we can trick the Suns out of a high draft pick. Maybe trade Smart + 20something for the #6 overall if they're dumb enough.

Trade Rozier at the trade deadline to a contender looking to win with GS hurt hopefully for a first rounder. Reset the clock.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#29 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:19 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

I agree with Rubio.

I think Smart and Rozier suck as PGs and both are off ball guards of different varieties.

I actually have a lot of fear with all the vets leaving and no chance of winning we're going to get bad Smart again and he'll lead the team in FGAs. Becuase he'll run point and he says he's the leader now.

We have had one good season of Smart holding back mentally, but he's a chucker waiting to tank his value. I'm really concerned about it.

Then again I also think we should trade away both Smart and Rozier and tank to start rebuilding around Brown + Tatum. See if we can trick the Suns out of a high draft pick. Maybe trade Smart + 20something for the #6 overall if they're dumb enough.

Trade Rozier at the trade deadline to a contender looking to win with GS hurt hopefully for a first rounder. Reset the clock.

I guess I can understand your concerns with Marcus. For me, I thought he started to figure a few things out 2 years ago and then took a quantum leap forward AFTER he signed his deal. He's entering his prime years when the game starts to slow down for young players and they understand the game better and how best they can apply their own skills and last year I really started to see that with him. My concerns with him as a primary ballhandler have completely been satisfied. And while he may not look like your traditional scoring lead guard, I think that works for him that he's so comfortable playing without the ball. Brad's system is so built for offense to be initiated from multiple angles he will never be asked to initiate it all the time. In fact I love that when he gets a rebound he is so willing to outlet it to someone else. To me, that means more opportunities for Tatum and Brown (Horford too if he's here) to playmake on the run and Marcus can trail the play. I think he's better at taking the right kind of shots. And he's converting in close better. His FG% inside 3 feet went up 100 points this last year. I see a kid who's game is starting to mature at just the right time.

celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#30 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:41 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:I don't misunderstand why Tatum sucked. I actually agree with a lot of what you said. My commentary was independent of Tatum's problems. This assessment was ancillary. I believe Tatum will get more shots with Smart or let's say, Rubio running the point. That's not to say Tatum won't get shots at all with Rozier. He will just get more with the other guys.

I agree with Rubio.

I guess I can understand your concerns with Marcus. For me, I thought he started to figure a few things out 2 years ago and then took a quantum leap forward AFTER he signed his deal. He's entering his prime years when the game starts to slow down for young players and they understand the game better and how best they can apply their own skills and last year I really started to see that with him. My concerns with him as a primary ballhandler have completely been satisfied. And while he may not look like your traditional scoring lead guard, I think that works for him that he's so comfortable playing without the ball. Brad's system is so built for offense to be initiated from multiple angles he will never be asked to initiate it all the time. In fact I love that when he gets a rebound he is so willing to outlet it to someone else. To me, that means more opportunities for Tatum and Brown (Horford too if he's here) to playmake on the run and Marcus can trail the play. I think he's better at taking the right kind of shots. And he's converting in close better. His FG% inside 3 feet went up 100 points this last year. I see a kid who's game is starting to mature at just the right time.

Yeah he's one of the million players that seemed to improve the year after RFA was completed.

I'm hoping Rozier and Brown are late bloomers like Smart is.

If Smart can keep his head like last year then everyone will be better off for it.

Maybe Rozier like Smart starts playing a lot more calmer after he secures the bag.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#31 » by L3GEND4RY » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:48 am

S&T. On/Off the court has been a disaster. He has to go.

Trade for Rubio maybe?

Signature by freshcontrast
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#32 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:57 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
I agree with Rubio.

Yeah he's one of the million players that seemed to improve the year after RFA was completed.

I'm hoping Rozier and Brown are late bloomers like Smart is.

If Smart can keep his head like last year then everyone will be better off for it.

Maybe Rozier like Smart starts playing a lot more calmer after he secures the bag.

All season my feelins about Rozier have been pretty clear. He was gross all year. Now when I thought that we might get Davis, I thought, with the guys who would be left behind (Brown and Hayward) he may actually play well with them in a starter role. His numbers have always been better as a starter and say what you will but he does have good chemistry on and off the court with Jaylen. And even though he made his comment that included Hayward I think the trio fits very well and if they were the starters they would look for each other.

But my Davis dream is gone and this team is going to put its collective eggs in the Tatum and Brown basket. For some reason I just don't love the fit with Tatum and Rozier. But maybe Danny doesn't let Terry get away. I don't know that he'll get a huge offer from anyone. And then we have him for as long as we need and then trade him as soon as we're allowed to.

[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#33 » by [EverGreen] » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:10 am

My take on this is an expanded "at the right price" take.

yes, at the right price but he also needs to be able to accept his role. I have no issue with him starting, but I think Hayward should be the primary ball handler in the half court. I'm assuming Kyrie leaves and Al stays, you'll get production from Hayward and Horford by running plays, and let the likes of Rozier and Brown push the tempo in broken play. This is where the accepting the role part comes in. I didn't look comfortable with Hayward last season and he needs to accept that he might not start, even if he'll be the primary 'PG' in a position-less team.
I'm not close enough to the team to comment on if he can do that, we will all have opinions based in rumour and body language, but have to trust Danny on this one.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#34 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 am

I think Smart last year earned the right to remain a starter. He improved his offensive game by leaps and bounds. He's the "heart and soul of the team" and all that jazz. And if Brown is the cornerstone they are now propping him up as, I don't see where there is room for Terry. He's probably best served moving on now. The only reason to keep him would be to trade him later. Not sure what the moratorium is on trading a former RFA after matching an offer sheet. Anyone know?

bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#35 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:04 am

No idea if this guy is credible but FWIW:

Read on Twitter

fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,979

Post#36 » by fallguy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:No idea if this guy is credible but FWIW:

Read on Twitter

He makes stuff up. Do not believe.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,028

Post#37 » by London2Boston » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 am

I hate losing players for nothing, but he can enjoy Orlando. By far my least fave player this season... by far.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#38 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 am

fallguy wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:No idea if this guy is credible but FWIW:

Read on Twitter

He makes stuff up. Do not believe.

grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#39 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:17 am

I have very little doubt that he will be back at this point. I thought it was pretty likely even when he went on the ESPN tour. Ainge didn't hang on to him this long to let him walk out the door. He was held as Kyrie insurance instead of being flipped in the summer. Well, here we are. We will use the RFA rights to get him signed to a reasonable long term deal. Hopefully it works out like the other ones Ainge has signed (Bradley, Crowder, Smart, etc).
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#40 » by sam_I_am » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 am

We will give him his QO it will be like Marcus Smart last year. We need his salary slot but I also think Ainge and Smart want to keep him. I guess we could overpay Morris and let him walk but I don’t see as much of a need for Morris with a healthy Hayward. I’d rather pay Terry and use the MLE on a veteran PF who can play in Brad’s system rather than overpay Morris and sign Rubio who while unselfish can’t shoot.

Return to Boston Celtics