ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown signs 4 year, $115 million extension ($103 million guaranteed, $4 million likely incentives/$8 unlikely)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Re: The Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum 

Post#221 » by reflex35 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 pm

The Comedian wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I'd laugh because it's significantly less than Murray just got. Why would he even think of signing that? There is no incentive on Brown's side to sign anything less than what Murray got, and there is no incentive on Boston's side to offer him the max.

I am no Jaylen Brown fan, don't get me wrong, He has very little feel for the game, terrible handle, no passing ability, and he'll always be limited because of those issues. But what he is has little to do with what some other team will offer him during his RFA period. He'll be 23, he's a former #3 pick, he's had two really good playoff seasons, Terry Rozier just got 19 million a year, etc. If I'm the Celtics I'm not offering him anything because there is just no reason to do so. Let other teams dictate his worth and then match or let him walk.

Jaylen Brown is a smart dude, he knows the only reason to play this sport is for the money, so he's not taking a penny less than he should. He will do whatever will maximize his lifetime earnings. He even avoided having an agent during his rookie negotiation because he knew every player just gets 120% of the scale so why not save a couple hundred thousand bucks? He'll go hard for Chris Paul's position when Paul retires.

Please give me an example of a guy that makes 170mil/5 year and has an average of 13 points and 4 rebs? That's 34 mil a year for 13pts and 4 rebs just to clarify.

Would you bring worst contracts in the league? Wiggins, CP3, etc...? Even those are a lot better.
I will wait for you to give an example.

Let's not fix ourselves that someone is 23 or 24 or 25 years old. Value is value. If you say that you believe that Jaylen would be 20/5/5 guy as Murray will be for sure then that is fine. But you better believe in it.

You're using the raw stats as an end all, you need to take roles into account, and defense. Jaylen would probably be putting up 20/6/2 in Malones offense, while being a very good defender when he puts the effort in.

I'm not as high on Jaylen as most, but he absolutely will get more than 4/100, IMO. 5/150 is what I'd bank on if he has the year i expect.

I am really not trying to be a "smart guy" and have no intention to argue.
I will put it to you in this way - "if someone is stupid enough to do something STUPID it does not mean that you have to do the same thing..."
You said Rozier got 19 mil. Yeah - he did and that is why charlotte is a bottom team. Why do thing Danny did not do it?

And I can't argue with you that some team can throw a bag of money to Jaylen. That as well might happen, but it does not mean that Celtics should not evaluate the "real value".

Someone here brought up Sabonis. I am Lithuanian and I follow Domas closely as well.
What do you think he will get having a lot better stats than Jaylen? Do you think he will get 34 mil a year? :D
Don't want to disappoint you but the fair offer to him is around 16-20 mil per year. And I am not a stats rat because defence does not and even though Sabas is great I would give Jaylen more... therefore 25mil a year is fair...

I would as well consider Sabas and Brown swap for both organizations. Maybe pacers have to add something to that but it would be fair for both sides as well. Celtics would get a young promising big and Jaylen will be able to help Pacers and get out of Tatum's shadow.
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#222 » by GreenFor3 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Steal by Bird wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:
Steal by Bird wrote: I like Brown, would like to keep him over Hayward and maybe even Tatum. Hopefully that works out.

Celtics need real front court solutions long term. Sabonis is going to be an all star. He is as good or better than Horford.

I like Sabonis, he is a solid young player, but he ain't Al Horford.

His production last year was what Horford put up in his prime. Sabonis’s per 36 min pt and reb production was higher last year than any point in Horfords career and he’s 22. Did it on a playoff also ran, just like Al. Defense is a wash, both heady players, good passers.
I would trade Brown tomorrow. Sabonis will get paid, but probably will not have to max him.

Defense is nowhere close to a wash between Horford and Sabonis. You're right that Sabonis is pretty close to Al offensively, but Horford is a far far better defender.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#223 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 pm

reflex35 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
Please give me an example of a guy that makes 170mil/5 year and has an average of 13 points and 4 rebs? That's 34 mil a year for 13pts and 4 rebs just to clarify.

Would you bring worst contracts in the league? Wiggins, CP3, etc...? Even those are a lot better.

Let's not fix ourselves that someone is 23 or 24 or 25 years old. Value is value. If you say that you believe that Jaylen would be 20/5/5 guy as Murray will be for sure then that is fine. But you better believe in it.

You're using the raw stats as an end all, you need to take roles into account, and defense. Jaylen would probably be putting up 20/6/2 in Malones offense, while being a very good defender when he puts the effort in.

I'm not as high on Jaylen as most, but he absolutely will get more than 4/100, IMO. 5/150 is what I'd bank on if he has the year i expect.

I will put it to you in this way - "if someone is stupid enough to do something STUPID it does not mean that you have to do the same thing..."
You said Rozier got 19 mil. Yeah - he did and that is why charlotte is a bottom team. Why do thing Danny did not do it?

And I can't argue with you that some team can throw a bag of money to Jaylen. That as well might happen, but it does not mean that Celtics should not evaluate the "real value".

Someone here brought up Sabonis. I am Lithuanian and I follow Domas closely as well.
What do you think he will get having a lot better stats than Jaylen? Do you think he will get 34 mil a year? :D
Don't want to disappoint you but the fair offer to him is around 16-20 mil per year. And I am not a stats rat because defence does not and even though Sabas is great I would give Jaylen more... therefore 25mil a year is fair...

I would as well consider Sabas and Brown swap for both organizations. Maybe pacers have to add something to that but it would be fair for both sides as well. Celtics would get a young promising big and Jaylen will be able to help Pacers and get out of Tatum's shadow.

Yeah, that's why I said there is no incentive for the Celtics or Brown to come to an agreement. Let Brown find his value and then match or don't. If he breaks out this year, great, you can match. If not, well, someone is still going to offer him whatever the max amount is because that's just how it is. So, let's see how everything else shakes out between now and then. He's the highest upside RFA on the market and there are a lot of teams with a lot of capspace and there just aren't any good FA this year (Draymond, AD, both gonna just re-sign).
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
reflex35
Rookie

Post#224 » by reflex35 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Yeah, that's why I said there is no incentive for the Celtics or Brown to come to an agreement. Let Brown find his value and then match or don't. If he breaks out this year, great, you can match. If not, well, someone is still going to offer him whatever the max amount is because that's just how it is. So, let's see how everything else shakes out between now and then. He's the highest upside RFA on the market and there are a lot of teams with a lot of capspace and there just aren't any good FA this year (Draymond, AD, both gonna just re-sign).

Ok, I agree with that. That's probably the smart way to go about this.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#225 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:46 pm

And for Sabonis? I dunno, he's probably not viewed as having a similar upside to Brown. PF/C don't make as much as wings unless they're AD/KAT/Embiid tier. Kevon Looney just signed a 3/15 contract and I have no idea who his agent is, but he must have left 70 million on the table, especially now that his usage is going to increase a lot on a more barren GSW team. Maybe he didn't have a lot of suitors? I'd have taken a 1 year deal instead of locking up my prime for less than the MLE. Really disgusting stuff from him, don't know what they teach these kids at UCLA.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BeanTownBrawler
Veteran
And1: 121

Post#226 » by BeanTownBrawler » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Again, everyone underestimating the important of chemistry and culture. Kid has shown tons of growth, good attitude, excellent work ethic and leadership qualities. Sign him and don't think twice, make him feel wanted. Stop playing games with talent.
"I have conflicted feelings right now. I mean its great and all, and no way I'd change it, but does anyone else kinda feel that we got luckier than we deserved to get? It almost feels like we're the benefactor of some NBA conspiracy."
reflex35
Rookie

Post#227 » by reflex35 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:And for Sabonis? I dunno, he's probably not viewed as having a similar upside to Brown. PF/C don't make as much as wings unless they're AD/KAT/Embiid tier. Kevon Looney just signed a 3/15 contract and I have no idea who his agent is, but he must have left 70 million on the table, especially now that his usage is going to increase a lot on a more barren GSW team. Maybe he didn't have a lot of suitors? I'd have taken a 1 year deal instead of locking up my prime for less than the MLE. Really disgusting stuff from him, don't know what they teach these kids at UCLA.

Yes, bigs (especially "old style" who are playing at the rim and are not great at defending smaller guys) cannot command the same amount of money as great-young-promising wings in today's game. Therefore the value of Jaylen is higher than the value of Sabas.
Not sure about the upside as I think Sabas will get you 18pts/12rbs/4asists at his peak and that is good enough to command 16-20 mil a year.
Jaylen - I'm not sure about him. He has a higher upside but I my opinion is that Domas is a safer bet for less money.
So it really depends on the team's needs.
I would love to see Brown for Sabas + pick/picks trade.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Post#228 » by mbsnmisc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 am

Steal by Bird wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:
Steal by Bird wrote: I like Brown, would like to keep him over Hayward and maybe even Tatum. Hopefully that works out.

Celtics need real front court solutions long term. Sabonis is going to be an all star. He is as good or better than Horford.

I like Sabonis, he is a solid young player, but he ain't Al Horford.

His production last year was what Horford put up in his prime. Sabonis’s per 36 min pt and reb production was higher last year than any point in Horfords career and he’s 22. Did it on a playoff also ran, just like Al. Defense is a wash, both heady players, good passers.
I would trade Brown tomorrow. Sabonis will get paid, but probably will not have to max him.

Defense is not a wash. Al is still a better defender than Sabonis will ever be. Again, I like Sabonis, but Horford will be a Hall of Famer.
Steal by Bird
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#229 » by Steal by Bird » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:25 pm

The greater discussion is Brown. He will get offered max money. Boston should know if they are willing to do that. Maybe they already know the answer, so they have no need to rush and just see what shakes out. Brown is an interesting decision, lots of special aspects, and some gaping holes. If they have that many concerns about him being worthy of such an investment, he should be moved. A player like Domo could probably be had for about 10 million less, for potentially a more productive player. If the plan is truly wait and see, the decision makers are grossly overpaid. Indiana has an equall decision. They are heavily invested with VO, MT, and MB and Turner and Sabo are redundant position wise (some varying strengths). Sabo is not an elite defender no, but he plays smart and would improve our defense. Kanter has been known as one of the worst defenders in the league for years.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#230 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 pm

mbsnmisc wrote:
Steal by Bird wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:I like Sabonis, he is a solid young player, but he ain't Al Horford.

Defense is not a wash. Al is still a better defender than Sabonis will ever be. Again, I like Sabonis, but Horford will be a Hall of Famer.

Sabonis had a DefRtg last season of 103.6, good for 7th on his team, while Al had a DefRtg of 106.4, which ranked #14 on the C's.

Sabonis averaged 20.4/13.5/4.2 per 36 last year as a 22yo. Al has never hit those numbers for points or rebounds (he's come close on points, but nowhere close on rebounds) and Al didn't reach that level of assists until he came to Boston, playing at age 30.

Sabonis is also a career .343 from 3 as a 6'11" 22yo, whereas Al didn't even attempt more than 0.2 3's per 36 until he was 27. Sabonis had a .630 TS% last season to Al's .605 on higher usage (23.5% to Al's 18.9%) and has a higher career TS% average.

The C's would have been much better off had they drafted Sabonis, who went at 11, over Brown at 3 in 2016. (Danny should have listened to Kelly O, who warned that Sabonis was going to be a player.)
reflex35
Rookie

Post#231 » by reflex35 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
mbsnmisc wrote:
Steal by Bird wrote:

Sabonis had a DefRtg last season of 103.6, good for 7th on his team, while Al had a DefRtg of 106.4, which ranked #14 on the C's.

Sabonis averaged 20.4/13.5/4.2 per 36 last year as a 22yo. Al has never hit those numbers for points or rebounds (he's come close on points, but nowhere close on rebounds) and Al didn't reach that level of assists until he came to Boston, playing at age 30.

Sabonis is also a career .343 from 3 as a 6'11" 22yo, whereas Al didn't even attempt more than 0.2 3's per 36 until he was 27. Sabonis had a .630 TS% last season to Al's .605 on higher usage (23.5% to Al's 18.9%) and has a higher career TS% average.

The C's would have been much better off had they drafted Sabonis, who went at 11, over Brown at 3 in 2016. (Danny should have listened to Kelly O, who warned that Sabonis was going to be a player.)

Domas is an interesting prospect.

For those who don't know he started climbing the ladder and becoming better when probably his father made a decision to move him to Spain (Malaga). Played if I remember correctly in II Spanish devision and after that moved to the main Unicaca team.
During that time he never was rated as guy who will have a great career. But Spain and some other European clubs are great in developing fundamentals. This is probably the difference - in states it's more about individual development and one on one where Europe is more about a team play as there are less individually great prospects.

After moving to Gonzaga he was good there too. Like I mean GOOD ( 14pts, 8rbs, 2ast), but never great... But here he got a knowledge of American ball and combined that with knowledge from Europe. (got best of both worlds)

In the NBA as you can see he rapidly improves every season.
He is one of those guys who will work and improve even though he is not extremely talented or an elite athlete.
In a sense he is like Jimmy (works hard and improves) or maybe the better analogy would be Mark Gasol. Not that he is as good as a defender but Mark was as well a no-name at the beginning (and fat as well :lol: ) and look - he had a great career.

Domas can be Mark and can be successful even though I understand that many people doubt him as he is not his father who was one in a generation talent from 17-18 years old.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#232 » by Tiny ball » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:17 pm

reflex35 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
reflex35 wrote:

Wings are way more valuable than bigs in today's game. I love Sabonis but need to kick in couple first round picks for Brown. Brown is more the alpha male Tatum wants to be. There is no way any smart GM would trade Brown at his age. Got to see his development.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#233 » by Tiny ball » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 pm

BeanTownBrawler wrote:Again, everyone underestimating the important of chemistry and culture. Kid has shown tons of growth, good attitude, excellent work ethic and leadership qualities. Sign him and don't think twice, make him feel wanted. Stop playing games with talent.

Agree.
reflex35
Rookie

Post#234 » by reflex35 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:24 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Wings are way more valuable than bigs in today's game. I love Sabonis but need to kick in couple first round picks for Brown. Brown is more the alpha male Tatum wants to be. There is no way any smart GM would trade Brown at his age. Got to see his development.

I think the main idea is fair - something additional for Brown. But I would think it's 1 first rounder and maybe 1 second rounder.
Parasite
Starter
And1: 2,223

Post#235 » by Parasite » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm

BeanTownBrawler wrote:Again, everyone underestimating the important of chemistry and culture. Kid has shown tons of growth, good attitude, excellent work ethic and leadership qualities. Sign him and don't think twice, make him feel wanted. Stop playing games with talent.

When he shows he can properly dribble a basketball in traffic or make free throws at an acceptable clip then he can be signed. Otherwise, nah. If he doesn’t improve these things I’d let him see what his value is then make the decision on matching whatever offer he receives.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#236 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:56 am

Having said that I dont think Jaylen's production to date warrents a max contract I still think the Celtics should try to resign him. As others have stated JB has the potential to improve and he has all the tools to be an elite player. I do think its important to not overpay for players, because overpaying limits the teams ability to sign other good players, and makes the teams path to a championship more difficult. If I was Danny I would talk with JB and see what he is thinking. I would probably offer around $23mil/per for 4 or 5 years. I might also offer a no trade clause. A no trade clause could be attractive to a player, because it would keep him out of trade rumors. I have heard that the Celtics FO is tight and does not release rumors, but agents and other teams like to leak stuff about the Celtics. If JB is set on the max then I would wait and match.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#237 » by grindtime22 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:52 am

Leprechaun18 wrote:Having said that I dont think Jaylen's production to date warrents a max contract I still think the Celtics should try to resign him. As others have stated JB has the potential to improve and he has all the tools to be an elite player. I do think its important to not overpay for players, because overpaying limits the teams ability to sign other good players, and makes the teams path to a championship more difficult. If I was Danny I would talk with JB and see what he is thinking. I would probably offer around $23mil/per for 4 or 5 years. I might also offer a no trade clause. A no trade clause could be attractive to a player, because it would keep him out of trade rumors. I have heard that the Celtics FO is tight and does not release rumors, but agents and other teams like to leak stuff about the Celtics. If JB is set on the max then I would wait and match.

no trade clause isn't possible. There is a reason only a few players have ever been given them on long term deals. You need 8 years in the league and 4 years on the same team. You also get veto power if you resign with your current team on a 1yr contract, a 1+1, or take the qualifying offer.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#238 » by Leprechaun18 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 am

grindtime22 wrote:
Leprechaun18 wrote:Having said that I dont think Jaylen's production to date warrents a max contract I still think the Celtics should try to resign him. As others have stated JB has the potential to improve and he has all the tools to be an elite player. I do think its important to not overpay for players, because overpaying limits the teams ability to sign other good players, and makes the teams path to a championship more difficult. If I was Danny I would talk with JB and see what he is thinking. I would probably offer around $23mil/per for 4 or 5 years. I might also offer a no trade clause. A no trade clause could be attractive to a player, because it would keep him out of trade rumors. I have heard that the Celtics FO is tight and does not release rumors, but agents and other teams like to leak stuff about the Celtics. If JB is set on the max then I would wait and match.

no trade clause isn't possible. There is a reason only a few players have ever been given them on long term deals. You need 8 years in the league and 4 years on the same team. You also get veto power if you resign with your current team on a 1yr contract, a 1+1, or take the qualifying offer.

Ok. The no trade clause is out then.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,211

Post#239 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:18 am

Extensions have to be done by Oct 31st, right?
You think the Celtics get it down?

They dragged their feet with Smart.
I think that Brown should get a good Payday, as an Extension.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#240 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 am

kay too be honest I don't think this a conundrum at all. The Celtic arent going to offer an extension Brown is likely to take because why would they? It behooves them too see what he does this year. And likewise Brown has no real reason to accept anything below the max since he almost certainly will have a better year than almost year is for no other reason than opportunity. When it comes right down to it Brown is a RFA, the Celtics can try to play that process out and get him on bargain deal, but even if they can't the have matching rights and he wont be leaving unless they wnat him too. If somebody offers him a max or very rich deal its because he played well enough to earn it and in many cases you can always squeeze a 1st round pick out of the acquiring team if you don't wnat to match (like with Brgdon). There is no reason to trade him just because he is gonna get paid.

I also think looking at his performance last year that he is gonna have a very big year. He shot better from every zone on the floor (except 3). He improved greatly at the rim. He developed a nice mid range pull up game. His defense got better both using his body against big guys and following shooters off screens. He cut down on turnovers. He showed some more willing passing especially off the drive. He make the types of incremental improvements that I think could be the basis for a bigger leap this year.

On the Sabonis or "trade Jaylen for a big" idea. I get it, we need a big and have enough wings. Its just a bad idea. I straight up just think Jaylen is better than Sabonis, let alone before you consider position or playoff skill set. The replacement level for Bigs is just high, you can get a guy that gives you like 85% of Sabonis for like 5 million a year. I'm not trading a guy who in my opinion has a much higher ceiling for a guy thats a marginally better fit for this year, its a bad value play and we doesn't change out ceiling this year.

TLDR: Let Jaylen play out the year, I think he's gonna be really good, dont trade him for a big.

Return to Boston Celtics