ImageImageImage

Jaylen Brown signs 4 year, $115 million extension ($103 million guaranteed, $4 million likely incentives/$8 unlikely)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: The Jaylen Brown Extension Conundrum 

Post#261 » by Wes-J » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Don't care what the stats look like, Jaylen is better and has the higher ceiling. Two totally different situations. I put much emphasis on playoff performance.

Murray is good but doesn't deserve max money but hey if Denver thinks he's all that then who am I to say.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#262 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Wes-J wrote:Don't care what the stats look like, Jaylen is better and has the higher ceiling. Two totally different situations. I put much emphasis on playoff performance.

Murray is good but doesn't deserve max money but hey if Denver thinks he's all that then who am I to say.

If you're judging ceilings by playoff performances, I'd think you'd want to make year-to-year comparisons--and JT at 21 has a better playoffs portfolio than JB had at 21.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#263 » by Wes-J » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:38 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Wes-J wrote:Don't care what the stats look like, Jaylen is better and has the higher ceiling. Two totally different situations. I put much emphasis on playoff performance.

If you're judging ceilings by playoff performances, I'd think you'd want to make year-to-year comparisons--and JT at 21 has a better playoffs portfolio than JB had at 21.

Huh? Tatum's not in this debate.

JB for a 22yr old, has a ton of invaluable playoff experience, some great playoff performances. Can't stress enough how our youngsters in general get underestimated in this context. You want to tell me there's a big worth getting, like Myles Turner, sure then ship him. Otherwise IMO JB has earned the right to be a part of this core.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Post#264 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:24 pm

I can't wrap my head around writing off JB this early in his career. My expectations were overly high just like everyone else's last year, but I'm not laying any of that on Brown. It's about the opportunity. How do people ignore that? He would have killed it on a **** team where he was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He didn't get that chance here. He made the best out of a tough situation last year and I'm betting he gets even more aggressive this year. There is no conundrum. Sign him if he'll take a deal or pay the man after next year. :talkhand:
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#265 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:42 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:I can't wrap my head around writing off JB this early in his career. My expectations were overly high just like everyone else's last year, but I'm not laying any of that on Brown. It's about the opportunity. How do people ignore that? He would have killed it on a **** team where he was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He didn't get that chance here. He made the best out of a tough situation last year and I'm betting he gets even more aggressive this year. There is no conundrum. Sign him if he'll take a deal or pay the man after next year. :talkhand:

He had a great opportunity as the starting SG on a team projected to compete. Then he basically pooped the bed. Eventually pushed back to the second unit, he managed to recover and have a good end to his season--including another impressive postseason showing.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#266 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 am

Wes-J wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Huh? Tatum's not in this debate.

JB for a 22yr old, has a ton of invaluable playoff experience, some great playoff performances. Can't stress enough how our youngsters in general get underestimated in this context. You want to tell me there's a big worth getting, like Myles Turner, sure then ship him. Otherwise IMO JB has earned the right to be a part of this core.

Oh, bother--you don't actually expect me to read the second paragraph you write, do you? :lol:
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,702

Post#267 » by Tatumfor2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:23 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Tatumfor2 wrote:I can't wrap my head around writing off JB this early in his career. My expectations were overly high just like everyone else's last year, but I'm not laying any of that on Brown. It's about the opportunity. How do people ignore that? He would have killed it on a **** team where he was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He didn't get that chance here. He made the best out of a tough situation last year and I'm betting he gets even more aggressive this year. There is no conundrum. Sign him if he'll take a deal or pay the man after next year. :talkhand:

He had a great opportunity as the starting SG on a team projected to compete. Then he basically pooped the bed. Eventually pushed back to the second unit, he managed to recover and have a good end to his season--including another impressive postseason showing.

I guess this makes sense if you choose to ignore the hand injury and the Bird situation. I choose to believe he struggled with both things and persevered despite all the other obvious bull going on.
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#268 » by klemen4 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am

Max he can get as RFA if I'm not mistaken would be:

29.5 mill (that's 25% of projected 118 mill cap)
30.9 mill ( 5% raises)
32.5 mill
34.1 mill
---------------
127 mill for 4 years

Boston can offer 8% raises and 5 the year. 5th year imo makes sense for a player only if he gets max, so let's forget 5th year.

I still think Danny will not offer more than 90 mill, so that's 37 million less than max ... Probably around 110 mill would get it done.

25 mill
27 mill
29.1 mill
31.5 mill
--------------
112.6 mill
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#269 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I guess this makes sense if you choose to ignore the hand injury and the Bird situation. I choose to believe he struggled with both things and persevered despite all the other obvious bull going on.

The hand injury was minor and came well into his bed pooping, though he tried later to use it as an excuse. And I haven't seen any evidence of the Bird thing being a factor.

Instead, I would argue that all the disjointed training and cross-training he did for show for his video selfies over the summer left him unable to hit the 3 like he had been the year before, after that summer's hard work and dedication to it. It also left his FT shot just as poor and his other skills only marginally improved if that.

I think he eventually learned his lesson and scrambled like anything to catch up midseason. That paid off and he was cruising, within the limited vision and handle and decision-making of his game, by the postseason. I think that was a mistake he won't make again and he'll be more focused in this summer's workouts.

We both give him credit for his (in my view, eventually) persevering and learning to ignore the BS around him.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#270 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:25 pm

I don't see any issue here at all. Jaylen isn't going to take less than his perceived market value next summer, removing any incentive for Boston to sign him now, IMO. Let him hit restricted free agency next summer and then match what he gets.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#271 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:27 pm

klemen4 wrote:Max he can get as RFA if I'm not mistaken would be:

30.9 mill ( 5% raises)
32.5 mill
34.1 mill
---------------
127 mill for 4 years

Boston can offer 8% raises and 5 the year. 5th year imo makes sense for a player only if he gets max, so let's forget 5th year.

I still think Danny will not offer more than 90 mill, so that's 37 million less than max ... Probably around 110 mill would get it done.

25 mill
27 mill
29.1 mill
31.5 mill
--------------
112.6 mill

If I am Brown...if I truly liked Boston and my situation with the Celtics, under normal circumstances I would sign for 4/100 right now to just get a boatload of money and to protect myself against injury or just against an off-season. But in Brown's shoes, I would be concerned about the logjam at SG/SF so I have to wonder if I am the player traded.....Trades are obviously part of the game but I would at least need some assurances that I wasn't traded to bad destination. If that contract ends up underpaying me, that is okay...I should do fabulous on the next deal after the 100 million. Realistically, on a 4/100 deal the most I am giving up is probably around 13-14 million after taxes. I no longer need to insure myself against major injury. Achilles are usually injuries of older players but you never know about injuries in general.

I don't think Ainge goes over 90 million as well so ultimately I don't think a deal gets done heading into next season. The Rozier contract probably hurts Celtics a bit. Ainge may also want to take a look at Romeo Langford as a potential inexpensive replacement.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#272 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 am

Romeo Langford isn't nearly the physical specimen that Jaylen Brown is.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#273 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Romeo Langford isn't nearly the physical specimen that Jaylen Brown is.

Yeah he does not have the explosive first step of Brown. He does have the skill of grift though and his ability to be physical, control the ball in traffic and finish at the rim means he could be just as effective as a primary / secondary initiator.

As for Juice, they probably need to decide ASAP if they are willing to sign him to a max or near-max deal. The dearth of FAs coming up will leave some cap-rich teams nowhere else to spend, and a guy like Brown is the prime case of someone who will get aggressive offers in that scenario. If Ainge isn't willing to "go the distance" with him, probably best to trade him sooner than later. Maybe they are middling it and seeing if Jaylen breaks out early this fall and then they are fine matching whatever comes, but that's a little risky IMO.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#274 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:10 am

Langford isn't 6-7 225. Langford can't guard an NBA power forward. Brown can.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#275 » by Smog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:22 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Langford isn't 6-7 225. Langford can't guard an NBA power forward. Brown can.

Langford isn’t nearly the athlete Brown is, but he’s pretty strong for a guard and still filling out.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#276 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 am

soxfan2003 wrote:

30.9 mill ( 5% raises)
32.5 mill
34.1 mill
---------------
127 mill for 4 years

25 mill
27 mill
29.1 mill
31.5 mill
--------------
112.6 mill

If I am Brown...if I truly liked Boston and my situation with the Celtics, under normal circumstances I would sign for 4/100 right now to just get a boatload of money and to protect myself against injury or just against an off-season. But in Brown's shoes, I would be concerned about the logjam at SG/SF so I have to wonder if I am the player traded.....Trades are obviously part of the game but I would at least need some assurances that I wasn't traded to bad destination. If that contract ends up underpaying me, that is okay...I should do fabulous on the next deal after the 100 million. Realistically, on a 4/100 deal the most I am giving up is probably around 13-14 million after taxes. I no longer need to insure myself against major injury. Achilles are usually injuries of older players but you never know about injuries in general.

I don't think Ainge goes over 90 million as well so ultimately I don't think a deal gets done heading into next season. The Rozier contract probably hurts Celtics a bit. Ainge may also want to take a look at Romeo Langford as a potential inexpensive replacement.

Even accounting for the rise in the cap and the weak FA class next year, I think you guys are high on these numbers. Jaylen is probably worth 4/70m over the life of the extension.

2020-21: ~$16m
2021-22: ~$17m
2022-23: ~$18m
2023-24: ~$19m (player option)

He could certainly get offer sheets in the 4/80-90m range IMO, but he would have to take 4/60m for me to sign him now.
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#277 » by BigRedDog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:52 am

Conundrum is a good word for this. THis is the thing people dont always think about when they talk about tearing out the baseboards and rebuilding from scratch and draft picks...

You get left with a ton of questions very quickly and you're forced to sign guys who aren't finsihed products to giant deals...

For every Anthony Davis or Lebron James no brainer there are ten of these type players...

Is Ben Simmons worth a max? IDK hold your nose and do it.

Is Joel Embiid worth a max? Yeah but his health is shaky so just hold your nose and do it.

Is Devin Booker worth a max? No, but he's cute on billboards so just hold your nose and do it.

Is Andrew Wiggins worth a max? Of course not, but we're incompetent so just hold your nose and do it.

Is Brandon Ingram worth a near max? Of course not, you don't even want that guy so try to pawn him off on a team.

I mean what's Jaylen Brown's "true value"? After year 2 i was ready to say 4/$80 sounds about right... he answered the #1 question about him which was can he shoot straight... then last year he regressed mightily and showed some serious lingering health issues... so now what's his fair value? I think we can all agree last year was probably a little flukish and they'd be comfortable offering 4/$60m...but he'll command 4/$80 from SOMEBODY in all likelihood, right? So you gotta pay to play... and deep down everyone is scared of getting stuck with the next Aaron Gordon but they're also scared of looking like tomato cans by letting the next Vijay Oladipo take his Cabbage Patch Kids lunchbox to another school.

I think in Jaylen's case you wait... ultimately i think you shop him again during hte season and try to avoid giving him the Mama's Pajamas unless you really have to. If you have to, there are worse options the guy has some game that translates in the postseason and he's young with a pretty cool haircut. He's the kind of guy i could see getting down in the clubn to the Electric Slide in between Game 3 and Game 4 in the ECF and then coming back out the next night and popping a bunch of 2nd half J's. A real cool customer.

I don't thinmk it's a coincidence that 4/$80 rhymes with Warren Beatty. And I could totally see Jaylen Brown dating Madonna like in Dick Tracy. It used to drive Michael Jordan crazy that Madonna would always pick up Scottie Pippen in her limo everytime the Bulls were in LA. Jordan tried for years to get that Evita but she only had eyes for Scottie. You ever watch that commercial with Scottie and the Sub Sandwich? Oh billy.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#278 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:37 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Langford isn't 6-7 225. Langford can't guard an NBA power forward. Brown can.

Jaylen is barely adequate guarding shooting guards let alone power forwards lmao.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#279 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:

30.9 mill ( 5% raises)
32.5 mill
34.1 mill
---------------
127 mill for 4 years

25 mill
27 mill
29.1 mill
31.5 mill
--------------
112.6 mill

Even accounting for the rise in the cap and the weak FA class next year, I think you guys are high on these numbers. Jaylen is probably worth 4/70m over the life of the extension.

2020-21: ~$16m
2021-22: ~$17m
2022-23: ~$18m
2023-24: ~$19m (player option)

He could certainly get offer sheets in the 4/80-90m range IMO, but he would have to take 4/60m for me to sign him now.

I'm pretty sure someone is going to Harrison Barnes him
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#280 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 am

Smog wrote:

Langford isn’t nearly the athlete Brown is, but he’s pretty strong for a guard and still filling out.

Yeah, Brown's got almost an inch of wingspan on him. Standing reach the same. Very similar in strength and size.

Return to Boston Celtics